Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the show and I haven't read the books. With that being said , the entire John Snow ,Wildings /John Snow vs. the White walkers scenes from last night were the absolute best thing I've seen on a screen in a long time. Pure testosterone. Epic!!! Replay forever
Agree. My wife (a former I.C.U. Nurse) normally hate blood & gore scenes. Even she was enthralled & speechless after the last scene.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Deepster said:
So, now Valeryian steel kills white walkers too? Not just dragon glass? The only blades I can think of that are made of Valeryian steel are:

1) Jon Snow's, given to him by Commander Mormont
2) Brienne's, given to her by Jamie (named Oathkeeper)
3) Joffrey had one when Tywin made Ned's sword into two swords for Joff and Jamie, right?

Is Needle made of VS?

This is alluded to in the books, so I was expecting it. VS as forged in the ancient way, presumably dragon fire infused or some such nonsense was developed to fight the WW back in the day. Someone else can confirm but I do recall it along those lines. Forgotten knowledge to our modern heroes.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
So, now Valeryian steel kills white walkers too? Not just dragon glass? The only blades I can think of that are made of Valeryian steel are:

3) Joffrey had one when Tywin made Ned's sword into two swords for Joff and Jamie, right?

Is Needle made of VS?

Valeryian steel is formed from Dragon flame - aka Magic stuff.

Yes, Tywin made Ice into two swords - Oathkeeper & Joffrey's one named Widows Wail.

In the TV show I think the only other weapon was the dagger given to the assassin that tried to kill Bran.

In the books there are a couple others, but most are not actively in use. None are owned by a named character.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Deepster said:

Is Needle made of VS?

Yes on Needle, all of the major houses have at least one blade. Jamie's became Oathkeeper. They are uncommon, but not uniquely rare.

Reaction Score
This is alluded to in the books, so I was expecting it. VS as forged in the ancient way, presumably dragon fire infused or some such nonsense was developed to fight the WW back in the day. Someone else can confirm but I do recall it along those lines. Forgotten knowledge to our modern heroes.

Yes, in the books Sam is studying some of those old books at Castle Black and tells Jon that "dragonsteel" was also used to fight whitewalkers. Presumably this refers to Valyrian Steel

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

They allude to the fact that no one currently knows how to make it.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. Turns out she was the GOT equivalent of Ensign Jones in the red shirt . . .

Historically, the 9th episode of each season has been the best, with the 10th serving as a means to wind up stories. I have no idea what they're going to do next week, even as a book reader.
I figure/hope, since Stannis is marching on Winterfell, which is where Brienne is just chillin waiting to save Sansa, they are going to end up battling, and one of them is obviously going to die.

That's the only huge bomb I think they have left to drop for the 9th season, other than maybe executing Cersei but we all want that to happen anyway. Wouldn't be on the same level as the Red Wedding or Viper vs Mountain.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Yes on Needle, all of the major houses have at least one blade. Jamie's became Oathkeeper. They are uncommon, but not uniquely rare.

Needle is not Valeryian Steel

Reaction Score
I feel like they made reference to Needle being Valyrian in the show, but it is not in the books.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Tyrell's and Baelish/Sansa/Vale just dropped down the leaderboard of the Game of Thrones. Stannis is in first place, with Daenerys in Second. Westeros will rally around whoever can stop the White Walkers, and Stannis and Dany are the only two with a prayer of stopping them. The High Sparrow screwed the pooch by imprisoning both the Tyrells and Cersei.

It was a cool scene, but also highlights the plot problems with using "magic" in a serious show . The White Walkers and their minions apparently can't swim. Why not? Can't they just walk along the bottom of the bay and get to the ships? Do they need oxygen? Can they touch water? They must have crossed rivers to get to Hardhomme. The show runs a real risk of becoming LOTR with the major characters simply casting spells at each other.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do not know if I have a subconscious parka fetish, but the wildling women are the sexiest in the show as far as I am concerned. There is just something magnetic for me about Ygritte, Osha and now Karsi. Very disappointed that Karsi did not last longer. I was really looking forward to her back at Castle Black.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The Tyrell's and Baelish/Sansa/Vale just dropped down the leaderboard of the Game of Thrones. Stannis is in first place, with Daenerys in Second. Westeros will rally around whoever can stop the White Walkers, and Stannis and Dany are the only two with a prayer of stopping them. The High Sparrow screwed the pooch by imprisoning both the Tyrells and Cersei.

It was a cool scene, but also highlights the plot problems with using "magic" in a serious show . The White Walkers and their minions apparently can't swim. Why not? Can't they just walk along the bottom of the bay and get to the ships? Do they need oxygen? Can they touch water? They must have crossed rivers to get to Hardhomme. The show runs a real risk of becoming LOTR with the major characters simply casting spells at each other.

I was thinking the WW and dead army will move across the bodies of water once the winter fully sets in and freezes everything.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

No, Oathkeeper was not Jamies. oath keeper and Joffrey's were made from Ned Starks sword. Which was abslotely gigantic which is why Tywin could melt it and make two from it.
Jamie never owned a VS sword iirc. Just passed Oathkeeper straigh on to Brienne.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
I do not know if I have a subconscious parka fetish, but the wildling women are the sexiest in the show as far as I am concerned. There is just something magnetic for me about Ygritte, Osha and now Karsi. Very disappointed that Karsi did not last longer. I was really looking forward to her back at Castle Black.

You just like 'em cold, starving, overdressed and slightly crazy.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
So apparently last night's episode was the first of this season that was actually written by Benioff & Weiss (the show creators/runners), and they also wrote the next 2 episodes. They used to write more often earlier in the series but w/ the production getting so huge they have focused more on getting the show made each year.

I was not expecting the events of last night's episode, and the whole thing was great TV. The interactions between Tyrion & Danny, Sansa & Theon, and Cersi & the Septa were all well written (some of the better dialogue scenes this season). The battle at Hardhome was probably the most exciting and well done battle in the whole series.

If the season ends the way I expect it to play out, we can expect to have 2 more amazing episodes this year before the long wait begins. I was obviously down on this season (and the series in general - should have given them more leniency based on the material they were working with), but I will happily eat a feast of crows if they can pull off 2 more great episodes this year. The long slog and some questionable decisions will have been worth it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Great episode last night, doesn't excuse the previous two abominations. They have a few hurdles to clear before the season ends and they will be judged on how well they handle them or don't handle them.

Reaction Score
I still think that the criticism of earlier episodes was overblown. They seem to fall into a few categories --

1) Abandoned/delayed plotlines -- it was made clear even before they started filming that certain stories would be pushed off as they were spreading the remaining book material over two seasons. Any criticism of what they have chosen to leave out is premature.

2) Dorne/Sand Snakes -- yeah, they kind of f&$ked that one up . . .

3) Deviation from the books -- their choices were to either stick to the books and have absolutely nothing happen all season, or pick and choose ways to deviate and consolidate stories in an attempt to move things along. They chose the latter, and other than the aforementioned Dorne scenes, most of the other criticism to me seems really minor. The killing of Barristan Selmy? I guess you could take issue with the believability of it, but it's not crazy to think a guy outnumbered 15-1 in close quarters might not win. The Sansa story? I guess it would be simple, if unrealistic, to have her just stand up to Ramsay and stab him in the heart. I suppose that they could have spent more time developing the background on the Faith Militant/Sparrows, but isn't that a really minor issue? They have introduced characters/themes without providing background in previous seasons as well.

I just think that there's an overwhelming desire to be the first to declare something to be not as good as it once was. Me, I think they've done a pretty good job cleaning up the mess that GRRM has left them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the same reviewers that promised never to watch GoT again after the Sansa Wedding Night are shouting the praises of last night's episode that was effectively the genocide of the Wildling people.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
So the same reviewers that promised never to watch GoT again after the Sansa Wedding Night are shouting the praises of last night's episode that was effectively the genocide of the Wildling people.

You are obviously just a Wildling apologist.

BTW you were definitely right about Karsi

Reaction Score
Last night was some good stuff. Like Blockbuster Movie quality. Easily the best battle sequence I have seen in this genre.

Reaction Score

The first episode the White Walker lets one of the guys go. A walker also allowed Sam Tarly to live; I think it was the one Jon killed. I fully believe they let Jon go. Sometimes they choose to kill, sometimes they choose to spread fear. They only attacked because Jon was trying to usher out the wildlings they had been tracking. I suspect they had been keeping tabs on this group, hoping that others would amass there since it certainly did not seem as if 100,000 wildlings were there. Oh, and I think the Darth Frost guy fully appreciates and knows what Jon Snow is. Also don't think they would waste the time to gather what was at most a couple thousand people by attacking the ships, when they can now break through the wall with relative ease in the absence of Snow. I don't read the books but I just think that the walkers will hit the wall/castle black before Jon gets back.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The first episode the White Walker lets one of the guys go. A walker also allowed Sam Tarly to live; I think it was the one Jon killed. I fully believe they let Jon go. Sometimes they choose to kill, sometimes they choose to spread fear. They only attacked because Jon was trying to usher out the wildlings they had been tracking. I suspect they had been keeping tabs on this group, hoping that others would amass there since it certainly did not seem as if 100,000 wildlings were there. Oh, and I think the Darth Frost guy fully appreciates and knows what Jon Snow is. Also don't think they would waste the time to gather what was at most a couple thousand people by attacking the ships, when they can now break through the wall with relative ease in the absence of Snow. I don't read the books but I just think that the walkers will hit the wall/castle black before Jon gets back.

I'll called him "Ice Maul" when he appeared last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom