Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I am certain he cares more about Sansa than anyone else in the world, other than himself of course, which means something even for a scheming bast-rd like him. He basically has transferred his obsession for Cat, an obsession which made him act stupidly the once and only time in his entire life when he challenged Ned's brother to a duel for Cat's hand, to Sansa. He might even think it is love.

Doesn't mean he puts her interests ahead of his own, but there is something there. Even the most evil villains in history think they're good people and usually have some family they're good to because they're theirs. I see Sansa fulfiling that role/need for Littlefinger.

We will see. I am not sure he actually cares at all, but I am sure he wants her in the same way he wants riches and power. Cat was the one thing he couldn't have and Sansa is an adequate replacement.

Reaction Score
We will see. I am not sure he actually cares at all, but I am sure he wants her in the same way he wants riches and power. Cat was the one thing he couldn't have and Sansa is an adequate replacement.

We're on the same page here. Yours was just a better way of putting it.....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Very good episode, except for, once again, Dorne. Dorne did improve from full blown absurdity to just mild silliness. That Sand Snake's body was spectacular, although it was more than a little odd that Dornish jailers don't check their prisoners for illegal substances before putting them across the dungeon from their mortal enemies.

Kings Landing rocked, as usual. More QoT is a good thing for the show. Casting a hitter like Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow was a good move, because it gives the character instant credibility.

Good move combining Tyrion, Jorah and Danaerys. One less plot arc to follow now. I do think that Danearys is being a total B about Jorah, since he did save her from Drogo's bloodrider, and there was pretty much no one else that could have done that for her.

Reaction Score
The Dorne scenes are awful, but I fell like they're just including it because they can't ignore that aspect of the story. It's just a sideshow at this point.

Reaction Score
Yeah, what's the point of this?
1. Jamie catches sword in iron/gold/brass whatever metal it is hand
2. ???
3. Nice

That's about all I got out of this so far, did I miss anything?

Reaction Score
2. ???
3. Nice

Jamie's daughter-niece doesn't want to leave Dorne. She may be the second smartest, after Tyrion, of all the Lannisters right now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Brochacho said:
2. ???
3. Nice

It should be about the fate of the princess and whether or not Dorne will rise against Kings Landing, either through the Prince or the snakes, but I can't for the life of me figure out what they intend to do.

All I've got so far is Jamie in prision, again, and Bronn making time with a co-ed. Nice story and all, but what it has to do with the series is beyond me, since they are completely off script here.

I'm also about done with the Sparrows. The idea that a bunch of guys in rags can run about the Capitol rounding people up at sword point, is just too much. It's a political power struggle, not some JV squire running around with his already dated forehead tribal tattoo.

So now we have half the royal family locked up and the King with an army and two major families, two and a half if you count the loyal Baratheons, behind him isn't clearing out the rabble, please.

The sparrows, retort to the QoT's very real threat to cut off the food, was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
A few other thoughts -

It appears that the Shireen barbecue has been set in motion . . .

Wondering if Sam's vow-breaking is setting him up for his demise now that he's alone with Aliser Thorne in charge.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Jamie's daughter-niece doesn't want to leave Dorne. She may be the second smartest, after Tyrion, of all the Lannisters right now.

Dorne has all kinds of problems. Ironically, Bronn pointed out how stupid this plan was before they even landed at Dorne. I wonder if the writers added that scene afterwards as a way of apologizing in advance for the mess they made with that plot arc. Of course Mycella is going to not want to leave. That leave 3 characters in Dorne: Doran, Tristane, and Mycella, that are not total idiots.

The scene with Stannis was excellent. It took me a while to warm up to him in the book, and it has been the same way with the show.

Sam didn't break his vow. Sam noted several seasons ago that the vow only forbids taking a wife, not carnal relations.

I had a similar response to Subba about the Sparrows initially, but I really like the plot arc now. Religious fanaticism is a frequent response to social upheaval, and the War of the Five Kings is definitely some upheaval. Fanatics will stand by their beliefs despite seemingly insurmountable odds, and I think the High Sparrow is proving to be a much better player than anyone expected. We are also seeing the effect of the power vacuum left by Tywin's death, and Jaime warned in the first scene of the first episode of this season.

I particularly liked the High Sparrow's smackdown of the QoT, which was not in the books but was excellent. She is finally appreciating how badly things have spiraled out of control. The retaliation against Cersei is simply punitive, she has two key assets sitting in cells, and has some tough decisions to make.

My problem with the Winterfell plotline is that an alliance with a bunch of stuck up lords like the Vale is impossible now with the way Ramsay is treating Sansa, and Roose would know that. The Bolton's are completely isolated, and have no chance of surviving short of some deus ex machina by the writers, and Roose would not have allowed that to happen.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Dorne has all kinds of problems. Ironically, Bronn pointed out how stupid this plan was before they even landed at Dorne. I wonder if the writers added that scene afterwards as a way of apologizing in advance for the mess they made with that plot arc. Of course Mycella is going to not want to leave. That leave 3 characters in Dorne: Doran, Tristane, and Mycella, that are not total idiots.

The scene with Stannis was excellent. It took me a while to warm up to him in the book, and it has been the same way with the show.

Sam didn't break his vow. Sam noted several seasons ago that the vow only forbids taking a wife, not carnal relations.

I had a similar response to Subba about the Sparrows initially, but I really like the plot arc now. Religious fanaticism is a frequent response to social upheaval, and the War of the Five Kings is definitely some upheaval. Fanatics will stand by their beliefs despite seemingly insurmountable odds, and I think the High Sparrow is proving to be a much better player than anyone expected. We are also seeing the effect of the power vacuum left by Tywin's death, and Jaime warned in the first scene of the first episode of this season.

I particularly liked the High Sparrow's smackdown of the QoT, which was not in the books but was excellent. She is finally appreciating how badly things have spiraled out of control. The retaliation against Cersei is simply punitive, she has two key assets sitting in cells, and has some tough decisions to make.

My problem with the Winterfell plotline is that an alliance with a bunch of stuck up lords like the Vale is impossible now with the way Ramsay is treating Sansa, and Roose would know that. The Bolton's are completely isolated, and have no chance of surviving short of some deus ex machina by the writers, and Roose would not have allowed that to happen.

I don't think the Vale would ever come to the Bolton's aid, seeing as the didn't come to aid the Starks. Littlefinger is Lord in name only. His grip on those lords can't be very strong. The books have yet to answer that question, but unless the crown would support his claim with force, he has no one but paid sell swords to back him. He doesn't even really control the heir.

The sparrow arc is about to fall back in line with the books, so my complaints are mostly about the believability of the set up. I suppose without the Lannisters in town, Cersei and the King need to be on the same side as the Tyrells on this matter. It was one of my favorite parts of AFFC and I feel they butchered it.

I like Excalibur's take on Sam. It's not one I thought of previously. If they change this arc like I think they will, Sam could play an important part given some of the other changes we've seen.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I have no idea what happened in the books. But I figured all along that this plan of hers would backfire. That was a good episode.

You figure Brienne of Tarth will intervene for Sansa. Aemon Targaryen dying just makes way for Sam to take his place.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think the Vale would ever come to the Bolton's aid, seeing as the didn't come to aid the Starks. Littlefinger is Lord in name only. His grip on those lords can't be very strong. The books have yet to answer that question, but unless the crown would support his claim with force, he has no one but paid sell swords to back him. He doesn't even really control the heir.

The sparrow arc is about to fall back in line with the books, so my complaints are mostly about the believability of the set up. I suppose without the Lannisters in town, Cersei and the King need to be on the same side as the Tyrells on this matter. It was one of my favorite parts of AFFC and I feel they butchered it.

I like Excalibur's take on Sam. It's not one I thought of previously. If they change this arc like I think they will, Sam could play an important part given some of the other changes we've seen.

Unless both the books and show take a right turn, Littlefinger has the Vale.

I don't think the Tyrells and Lannisters will ever completely repair the split.

I think they are adding in a couple of extra episodes of Ramsay-crazy before one of Brienne, Stannis or someone from the Vale finishes him off.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Unless both the books and show take a right turn, Littlefinger has the Vale.

I don't think the Tyrells and Lannisters will ever completely repair the split.

I think they are adding in a couple of extra episodes of Ramsay-crazy before one of Brienne, Stannis or someone from the Vale finishes him off.

Other folks have lost their lands who had a stronger hold on them. I'd like to think that Peter gets his at some point. He's the biggest "villian" left and he's batting a good average so far.

I alluded to the internal power struggles between the Tyrells and the Lannisters, and the Lannisters and Cersei, and the Tyrells and Ceresi. That was all cut our and I think that's why this season is falling flat.

It's looking like the last two episodes will make or break the entire series. I'll be fascinated to see which direction they go.

After the first two episodes I thought they were going to save the books. After the last two I fear they may kill the TV show. Sunday, left me with a deep sense of forboding that whoever is left after the Sansa nonsense will throw up their hands and say F this.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I think there was no way to include the Dorne plot line and keep Jamie active in the story w/o combining the two. It just doesn't seem to work though. It went further downhill when Bronn was poisoned only to be cured in the next episode. What was the point of that? They are wasting time that could have been used for something more interesting.

This is how I feel about it also. It's getting better, but with a little more set up the whole situation would make more sense. All they really had to do was show some glimpses of religious fanaticism growing throughout the realm last season. Basically they could have shown the Breanne & Pod combo and The Hound & Arya combo coming across groups Sparrows marching towards Kings Landing. 2 short scenes would have set this story arc up nicely. (also sticking a bit more to the books plot would have helped here because it would explain that there really wasn't much of an army left in King's Landing to keep these people in check.)

My guess for Sam - if you rewatch the scene where Maester Aemon dies he kinda hints at where the plot will take Sam & Gilly.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
After the first two episodes I thought they were going to save the books. After the last two I fear they may kill the TV show. Sunday, left me with a deep sense of forboding that whoever is left after the Sansa nonsense will throw up their hands and say F this.

This is pretty much how I feel. When they announced that the show was going to spoil the books my first reaction was 'I saw this coming and they are handling the story so well that I am OK with this.' Now I am not so sure. Really hoping that book 6 comes out prior to the next season, but not holding my breath. I want to believe the biggest issues with this season are due to combining books 4 & 5, and next year they can return to form while focusing on one book.

Reaction Score
I'm still hoping they somehow figure out a way to bring Yara Greyjoy back into the mix (although the way they've written off the Iron Islands, doesn't look like they will).

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Penfield said:
This is pretty much how I feel. When they announced that the show was going to spoil the books my first reaction was 'I saw this coming and they are handling the story so well that I am OK with this.' Now I am not so sure. Really hoping that book 6 comes out prior to the next season, but not holding my breath. I want to believe the biggest issues with this season are due to combining books 4 & 5, and next year they can return to form while focusing on one book.

I think they looked at the long journeys by several current characters and all the new characters and decided it was too much to film in one interesting season.

Probably the right call, but they cut much of the coherent threads that connect the parts they kept.

They are clearly building to two/three maybe even four plot points, we'll see how they do. The season has been focused on the Wall, Winterfell, Kings Landing, Dorne, Braavos and Mereen. It's a good bet Winterfell and Mereen see something happen. The others might wait until next season before the next major plot points are tied up.

If they wrap up/invent stories for all six, they run out of book. For a couple they are already out of book. I'm keeping this intentionally vague.

Reaction Score
I suppose I'm in the minority, but I've enjoyed this season. I've read all the books, but really can't remember much in the way of details, so I've enjoyed those segments, like Sansa in Winterfell, that diverge from the books. The Sand Snake scenes aren't great, but I rarely complain about hot women wearing little or nothing. I was glad they didn't kill off Bronn. I don't remember him being a major character in the later books, but I'm glad his popularity with fans have kept him alive (so far). The Danareys story line has always been my least favorite in both the books and the show, but I think the introduction of Tyrion into the mix has great potential. I can always tell which shows I enjoy more than others by how many episodes I allow to build up on my DVR between watching and GoT never has more than just the current episode recorded.

Reaction Score
Good episode. The Sand Snake plotline has been redeemed because, well, because . And nice to see Cersei hoisted on her own fanatical petard. I've been cheering for her downfall since Season One. It should be spectacular.

Reaction Score
Sansa should just kill Reek. He's a total liability and useless.

Theon seems to be one of those characters who has been rejuvenated through victimization in many's eyes. Not mine. I enjoy watching the little b-stard suffer. Hope Ramsay flays him before he gets his own comeuppance.

Reaction Score
I don't realize why Reek hasn't just killed himself yet. It's not like he doesn't have access to a knife or a sword. I'd have slit my wrists long, long ago if I were in his shoes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom