Full page Uconn add in today's NYT | The Boneyard

Full page Uconn add in today's NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wasn't sure which board to post this on, but there is a full page Uconn add in today's New York Times.

It appears we are openly advertising to the B1G for an invitation.

Attachments

• Twittere805619_jpg.jpg
    Twittere805619_jpg.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 818
Reaction Score
totally sweet! someone in PR must have let a student have his/her say!

Reaction Score
Are these ads directed at alumni? Parents of current and potential students? Just wondering what the motivator is to buy expensive advertising in the Times when high school and college kids don't read it. My presumption is that it is just general marketing aimed at building the brand. However, it seems like tv and web would be more effective for the money.

Reaction Score
Are these ads directed at alumni? Parents of current and potential students? Just wondering what the motivator is to buy expensive advertising in the Times when high school and college kids don't read it. My presumption is that it is just general marketing aimed at building the brand. However, it seems like tv and web would be more effective for the money.

It's been shown in a study that most people under 25 literally don't register banner ads. Their brain has been trained to ignore them. So going after high school students with online advertising like banner ads will likely be ineffective.
No high school students watch TV ads. They either record the show and fast forward through commercials or use some sort of internet connected device while the commercials are on and don't pay attention.
These points have been highlighted by Gary Vaynerchuk, so I won't take credit for them.
That is probably why a newspaper ad is more effective than TV advertising. If someone is reading a newspaper, then they are paying attention to what is on each page. Since the times is read around the country and even the world, then it is a good place to advertise to reach people like parents and grandparents who will be important in making college decisions for high school students.

Reaction Score
It's been shown in a study that most people under 25 literally don't register banner ads. Their brain has been trained to ignore them. So going after high school students with online advertising like banner ads will likely be ineffective.
No high school students watch TV ads. They either record the show and fast forward through commercials or use some sort of internet connected device while the commercials are on and don't pay attention.
These points have been highlighted by Gary Vaynerchuk, so I won't take credit for them.
That is probably why a newspaper ad is more effective than TV advertising. If someone is reading a newspaper, then they are paying attention to what is on each page. Since the times is read around the country and even the world, then it is a good place to advertise to reach people like parents and grandparents who will be important in making college decisions for high school students.
I am convinced you're correct because you seem so completely sure of yourself and you used a lot of words.

Reaction Score

Right, because most of the under 25 generation are reading newspapers....or even know what they are............

Reaction Score
My guess is that add was aimed at a paricular income related demographic.
It certainly wasn't kids.
It had multiple purposes ,but foremost it was PR.

Reaction Score
I live in Fairfield county and we subscribe to the NY Times. If you are out early enough you can see the NY Times blue newspaper bags in a simple majority of the driveways, in my neighborhood anyway. It possible they are targeting getting the NYC DMA. This is a solid idea. We need an office/alumni club in NYC. Not sure we have enough bodies to fill it daily.

Reaction Score
Right, because most of the under 25 generation are reading newspapers....or even know what they are..

I was responding to the poster who asked why the ad in the times made sense and alluded to advertising online as a good way of recruiting for uconn. My point is that advertising in the times is a good way to reach the adults who will be influential in helping a high school student make a college decision and that a full page color ad in the times will get noticed. Banner ads for most highschool students don't get noticed at all and adults who are frequent internet users probably also have trained themselves to ignore them. that is why a newspaper ad could be more effective than online advertising even though it is counter intuitive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn't hard.

If you take out a full-page ad in the Times or WSJ, you're not looking to hit high school kids.

You're looking to raise the profile of the school among the type of people who might be reading the front section of the New York Times.

They're people who make decisions - the demographics for the print NY Times are off the chart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This isn't hard.

If you take out a full-page ad in the Times or WSJ, you're not looking to hit high school kids.

You're looking to raise the profile of the school among the type of people who might be reading the front section of the New York Times.

They're people who make decisions - the demographics for the print NY Times are off the chart.
Are they? I know that they are willing to give the paper away, selectively. That makes me believe that they are trying to bump up their readership numbers. Just an anecdotal observation, though. Print may not be dead, but it's getting there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are they? I know that they are willing to give the paper away, selectively. That makes me believe that they are trying to bump up their readership numbers. Just an anecdotal observation, though. Print may not be dead, but it's getting there.

Roughly 100% of the people who read the print version of the Times would be considered affluent.

The complete demographic is available online if you're actually curious.

The flotsam and jetsam might not be reading the Times, but the people who hire and fire them do.

Reaction Score
I'm curious if it continues long term or if it is just intended to coincide with the football game. To clarify, I have no problem with it and I know smart and wealthy people read the NYT. My point was that it is very costly and to do this is likely part of a larger plan aimed at some specific accomplishment. They aren't asking for donations and they aren't trolling for students, so what are they trying to do? My hope is that we are going to be all over NY building the brand and playing games and that this is part of the process in getting a B1G invite.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm curious if it continues long term or if it is just intended to coincide with the football game. To clarify, I have no problem with it and I know smart and wealthy people read the NYT. My point was that it is very costly and to do this is likely part of a larger plan aimed at some specific accomplishment. They aren't asking for donations and they aren't trolling for students, so what are they trying to do? My hope is that we are going to be all over NY building the brand and playing games and that this is part of the process in getting a B1G invite.
I think it's like the cuse NY's college team thing it's more a brand awareness thing than anything else.

Reaction Score
Roughly 100% of the people who read the print version of the Times would be considered affluent.

The flotsam and jetsam might not be reading the Times, but the people who hire and fire them do.
That's not true..I work with 2 guys in the firehouse who bring in the Times when they come to work in the morning....affluent they definitely are not...BUT they are a little more enlightened than the rest of us at work who choose to bring in the Daily News, Post and Newsday

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

That was a deeply flawed study. What it proved was that under 25 - especially males - don't click on ads for frumpy clothes typically bought by women over 45.

The study showed women over 45 will click.

Under 25 males click tons of ads. Just different ads ie. look at bleacher report

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

My print subscription says not quite 100%, but I am upwardly optimistic.

Reaction Score
Right, because most of the under 25 generation are reading newspapers....or even know what they are..
Most of the under 25 generation lack any means of support other than there parents.
You reach them by winning NC.
The aim is to make UConn into a class of elite
Its technically not even an AD , its pure PR , its objective is to let the doers of The NE know that UConn is not just a BB team . Its not only a great place now but we're going to be even greater in the future. It will be amongst the top Publics in the US.
it could have multiple purposes. If you estabkish UConn as primary destination or even as an Ivy safety school, for this class ,you have created at future generation of Alumni with deep pockets. There are many more objectives but I will let you guys speculate.

Reaction Score

My neighbor Jim Flotsam doesn't take the paper - I mean read the Times. I always suspected he may not be wealthy, intelligent or upwardly...ah, something. Should I move? That kind of trash can bring down property values, ya know. I get the Times and leave it in my driveway most of the day so everyone can see I get it. I'm pretty sure they're impressed. Just the other day Susan Jetsam was out walking her marmot and gave me one a them you get the Times, don't you looks, if you know what I mean, like were in some kind of crazy, cool, intelligent, affluent club or something. And she wouldn't even talk to me in school. I'm keeping MY subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom