FSU is Howling | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FSU is Howling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly, people didn't respect us because we weren't ranked, plain and simple. If we were ranked #12-15 and got beat by 20, like VTech does almost every year, nobody would have minded us being there. If you're going to tell me you wouldn't complain about an unranked team from any other BCS conference playing in a BCS bowl than you're probably lying.

The good news is that FSU wouldn't be complaining about us going to the ACC if they didn't think it would happen.

VTech does have 32 wins from 2009-2011, and although VTech is down in 2012, they do manage to bring in 65,000 fans at home for an off game against Austin Peay. Maybe that's why the folks don't mind them being in the big bowl games.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem for Florida State...where are they going? You can't leave unless you have somewhere to go. And as of right now where are they going? SEC, Please. they're the 2nd team in Florida and the SEC already has #1. B-12? to what end? Here's the second problem...they haven't won the ACC, not the SEC, the ACC since 2005. And they lost to North Carolina State, a team that just fired its coach! And 2 of their wins were over Savannah State and Murray State...Please, they maybe should become relevant themselves before they criticize others. I mean we could probably pick 11 guys off the boneyard and finish 1-1 against Savannah State & Murray State...That is Rutgersian scheduling...and that, not he ACC is why they are 9-1 and ranked 10th...and if there name was Rutgers or even North Carolina State rather than Florida State, they'd be ranked 23rd with that record and that schedule.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah FSU looks at UConn like we look at Temple and Memphis - so I'm only going to be so hurt by a rational reaction.

I look down on Memphis because it's a crappy commuter school. Same with Houston, and Boise. Temple is better than that, but their #125 USNews ranking isn't exciting anyone. FSU has no more right to look down its nose at UConn than it does at say, Virgina, which has a poor football team, but which is a much better university. They focused on football, because it's all they had going for them.

Fortunately, I think the President and Board knows this, and aren't about to let the AD, fans or boosters screw it up. They are trying hard to climb in the USNews rankings, and moving to the Big XII or bringing in Louisville to delete the academic prestige of the ACC doesn't help.

Reaction Score
Maryland has the worst football record in the ACC the past 2 years. So Uconn needn't use that "impressive" 3 point victory as a yardstick.

My opinion is if FSU has a problem with the Huskies it is with the football aspect. They are 10-1 and not fairly ranked because of the perception of schedule - adding Uconn to that mix will not help that cause. On the other hand, the SEC has 2 winless teams in conference play, and they are a balanced conference???

Read what I wrote. Your post doesn't respond to what I wrote.

Reaction Score
Maryland has the worst football record in the ACC the past 2 years. So Uconn needn't use that "impressive" 3 point victory as a yardstick.

My opinion is if FSU has a problem with the Huskies it is with the football aspect. They are 10-1 and not fairly ranked because of the perception of schedule - adding Uconn to that mix will not help that cause. On the other hand, the SEC has 2 winless teams in conference play, and they are a balanced conference???
effSU should just stfu. FreeShoes U. The only way to have sustained success on the football field where your competition is trying to play fair is to cheat. Don't make kids go to class, have real students take tests for them. Admit anyone. That's the formula, and it works. That model gets rewarded, even adored. If FSU went to the SEC, they would be just another renegade waiting for the next Cam Newton to hire for two or three years. They would do well to stfu, go undefeated in the ACC, and see what they got against the SEC champ.

Reaction Score
VTech does have 32 wins from 2009-2011, and although VTech is down in 2012, they do manage to bring in 65,000 fans at home for an off game against Austin Peay. Maybe that's why the folks don't mind them being in the big bowl games.

If you want to northeast market, as the Big10 and ACC apparently do, you're going to have to live with the fact that the fans up here can't drive 2,000 miles for a football game over the holidays. It's much easier for the southerners to go on a short roadtrip. Blacksburg VA to Atlanta is 400 miles. When UConn played a bowl in Charlotte, it sent 15,000 fans. That's a 14 hour drive both ways.

Reaction Score
My opinion is if FSU has a problem with the Huskies it is with the football aspect. They are 10-1 and not fairly ranked because of the perception of schedule

FSU is not ranked where they think they should be because ranking carries over from the previous two or three years. If you are consistently in the top 12, then you start off there. As you win you edge up. FSU had a poor last few years. No BCS, getting outdone by programs like BC, VT, Clem, whoever - all due to cheating and scandal, but no matter. They're back for now, until the next time they get caught. Like Miami. Like USC, Penn State, Ohio State.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's an identity issue. FSU wants to be part of the SEC and since it can't get in there it wants the ACC to be SEC light. The ACC has always prided itself on it's academics. Louisville, temporarily, has a better football program than we do. Our academics are, because of a very significant current gap and resource differences as a State U, always going to be better. Connecticut's pluses: Academics, TV demographics and basketball. To me its an easy choice.

I've heard that three teams will vote against us. If everyone else is in favor of us we should be in, however, FSU is, apparently, flexing its muscles and the ACC is very vulnerable right now. It is an interesting power struggle. I don't see the Tobacco Road schools giving in and they, apparently favor UConn.

Reaction Score
It's an identity issue. FSU wants to be part of the SEC and since it can't get in there it wants the ACC to be SEC light. The ACC has always prided itself on it's academics. Louisville, temporarily, has a better football program than we do. Our academics are, because of a very significant current gap and resource differences as a State U, always going to be better. Connecticut's pluses: Academics, TV demographics and basketball. To me its an easy choice.

I've heard that three teams will vote against us. If everyone else is in favor of us we should be in, however, FSU is, apparently, flexing its muscles and the ACC is very vulnerable right now. It is an interesting power struggle. I don't see the Tobacco Road schools giving in and they, apparently favor UConn.
It's funny reading the MD board: they are so happy to be out of what they call the "bojangles" conference. It is ironic that everyone here wants to be Mr. Bojangles. Corn cob pipe, missing teeth, gnarled up hair and baggy pants

Reaction Score

FSU is looking for justification right now. Period.
When (if?) they make the announcement, they want to be able to say they "tried to make it work, but the ACC of old no longer exists".
That seems to be the standard go-to script for all the defectors.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you want to northeast market, as the Big10 and ACC apparently do, you're going to have to live with the fact that the fans up here can't drive 2,000 miles for a football game over the holidays. It's much easier for the southerners to go on a short roadtrip. Blacksburg VA to Atlanta is 400 miles. When UConn played a bowl in Charlotte, it sent 15,000 fans. That's a 14 hour drive both ways.

Unless you road your bike I hope you meant 14 hours total for the round trip. My buddies and I left Waterbury at 11:00pm. We had breakfast at some Bob Evans outside Charlotte around 6:00-6:30 and got to the hotel around 7:30.

It was longer on the way home because, like idiots, we went by the Meadowlands right as the Jets traffic was building up...

U

UConn9604

Unless you road your bike I hope you meant 14 hours total for the round trip. My buddies and I left Waterbury at 11:00pm. We had breakfast at some Bob Evans outside Charlotte around 6:00-6:30 and got to the hotel around 7:30.

It was longer on the way home because, like idiots, we went by the Meadowlands right as the Jets traffic was building up...

Google Maps says it's a 716-754 mile drive from Waterbury to Charlotte, which means you were averaging about 85 mph. That's impressive.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Google Maps says it's a 716-754 mile drive from Waterbury to Charlotte, which means you were averaging about 85 mph. That's impressive.

Radar detector in the middle of the night = no traffic and high speeds. I could be off on the times a little bit, but still...It was nowhere near the 14 hours mentioned above (ETAs for Google/Yahoo/Mapquest/GPS are bound by posted speed, so reality rarely matches what is stated). In fact the relative little time it took to get to Charlotte was a key reason why we drove to Ann Arbor.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

And despite what the bobbing heads say, we had the 15,000 in Phoenix. I know..."because I was there." A-cha-cha.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's funny reading the MD board: they are so happy to be out of what they call the "bojangles" conference. It is ironic that everyone here wants to be Mr. Bojangles. Corn cob pipe, missing teeth, gnarled up hair and baggy pants
When you are homeless, you envy the guy with the refrigerator box.

Reaction Score
Radar detector in the middle of the night = no traffic and high speeds. I could be off on the times a little bit, but still...It was nowhere near the 14 hours mentioned above (ETAs for Google/Yahoo/Mapquest/GPS are bound by posted speed, so reality rarely matches what is stated). In fact the relative little time it took to get to Charlotte was a key reason why we drove to Ann Arbor.

As someone who drives this often, and always leaves at night, you were incredibly lucky. Virginia, Maryland, Carolina are major speed trap areas, even in the middle of night. Speed limit is often 55. I also said Storrs to Charlotte, Waterbury is an easy 45 minutes closer.

Reaction Score
Yet another way that Pasqualoni and Deleone are royally screwing us all. They'll have a lasting negative effect on Uconn Football and the longer they wait to fire them the worse damage that will occur.

I agree with the first part of this comment entirely... Unfortunately, with the 2nd part, we have to wait out 2013 before I final decision is made.. Louisville has to put a Syracuse type whoopin on us this weekend in order for our top folks to consider making a change after this season... with the way we play on offense, as well as the lack of recruiting "top talent" (the way we do in MBB & WBB) u gotta believe the argument is valid... We should NOT go into a conference with expectations of playing cellar dwellar football ( i.e. Indiana, Vandy - up until lately, Northwestern-up until lately ). Yeah, we gotta pay our dues to eat like the rest of the OGs ( FSUs, NDs, Texas's, OUs, USCs, Alabama's, LSUs, etc...) but we gotta find a way to make UCONN football more attractive to the "elite" players.. USF is doing it and they went straight from no football to FBS football... I know I know they're in FL, a football talent hot bed, but we've been playing the sport for a century too, so, no excuses... We gotta start closing the deal on more elite talent...

Reaction Score
I agree with the first part of this comment entirely... Unfortunately, with the 2nd part, we have to wait out 2013 before I final decision is made.. Louisville has to put a Syracuse type whoopin on us this weekend in order for our top folks to consider making a change after this season... with the way we play on offense, as well as the lack of recruiting "top talent" (the way we do in MBB & WBB) u gotta believe the argument is valid... We should NOT go into a conference with expectations of playing cellar dwellar football ( i.e. Indiana, Vandy - up until lately, Northwestern-up until lately ). Yeah, we gotta pay our dues to eat like the rest of the OGs ( FSUs, NDs, Texas's, OUs, USCs, Alabama's, LSUs, etc...) but we gotta find a way to make UCONN football more attractive to the "elite" players.. USF is doing it and they went straight from no football to FBS football... I know I know they're in FL, a football talent hot bed, but we've been playing the sport for a century too, so, no excuses... We gotta start closing the deal on more elite talent...

Not for nothin, but we're 5-4 against USF with 2 conference championships to their zero. And I'm guessing we've had roughly the same (if not more) number of players drafted.

We should be aiming higher than USF.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FSU is mad about money, not football. If Swofford finds some more money, FSU will be happy.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Bottom line is we need a head coach who can recruit on the national level. And we have the models in Calhoun and Geno. So it can be done but PP and company are not the ones to do it.

Reaction Score
FSU is mad about money, not football. If Swofford finds some more money, FSU will be happy.
Ok then why are all these people saying FSU DEMANDS L'ville to be invited? The Cards are not getting the ACC more money (Uconn isn't either).

Reaction Score
FSU wants a National Championship in football. They believe that a weak ACC is holding them back (just 1 loss but only a 10 national ranking). They believe that any weak football program will stand in their way to the championship. Unlike Maryland and many other schools it's not about the money - it's about a National Championship - similar to Notre Dame. They perceive UConn football as trash. Also, like most of the Southern ACC schools they hate yankees - something you will learn in time. Louisville brings less to the table and its football is up now but don't count it lasting - but they are one thing - they ain't none of those dam yankees.

In due time, won't the ACC champion be part of the playoff picture? Which if the case, provides FSU an easier path to a potential Nat'l Championship. Then all they have to do is prove it on the field.....something they seem to fall short of doing in many big games.

Also, lowly UConn lost by 3 points (and clearly was good enough to win) against the same NC State team that beat FSU. Their (or your) rationale is weak.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As someone who drives this often, and always leaves at night, you were incredibly lucky. Virginia, Maryland, Carolina are major speed trap areas, even in the middle of night. Speed limit is often 55. I also said Storrs to Charlotte, Waterbury is an easy 45 minutes closer.

This is really not something I'm willing to get into a pi$$ing match over, so this is my last post on this particular sub-topic on this thread.
1) It certainly did not take 14 hours each way (in fact, Yahoo Maps say Waterbury to Charlotte = 11.5 hours).
2) We did not exactly pay attention to speed limit signs, whether they said 55 mph, 65 mph, or Reasonable and Prudent.
2a) No one got pulled over.
3) Aside from not being exact positive about timing, as state earlier, what I wrote is fact. Why would someone lie about something so mundane? It was originally meant as a playful taunt (I must have forgotten the required emoticon).

Reaction Score

Wow. Hard to believe southerners might still resent the north, isn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom