For those that thought we were played... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

For those that thought we were played...

Reaction Score
This is what I find to be the most mind boggling. The PAC 12 always struggled with national relevance because of the time zone issue. Their games were on too late. So why add 4 schools in the Mtn time zone? Last I checked, I've seen a lot of MWC games on TV starting around 8:00 or later. You'd think they'd wanna look east and get teams that allow for games to be played easily in prime slots. Not saying it can't be done with the 4 corner schools but it just seems odd that they look at the conference who struggled with TV deals partially because none watched their games due to time zone.

Yea but there’s only so many prime time slots. As these conferences get bigger it makes some sense to try to take over more time slots, even if they aren’t the highest rated time slots.

Reaction Score
Yea but there’s only so many prime time slots. As these conferences get bigger it makes some sense to try to take over more time slots, even if they aren’t the highest rated time slots.
The problem the Pac 12 had was all of their football slots with the exception of Utah were in the Pacific time zone. (Arizona doesn't use daylight savings time). The networks want some late games, but they are less valuable time slots. The Pac 12 understood the time zone issue and even had USC and Arizona St play a 9 AM game at USC in 2020 to get the noon Eastern time TV slot.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is what I find to be the most mind boggling. The PAC 12 always struggled with national relevance because of the time zone issue. Their games were on too late. So why add 4 schools in the Mtn time zone? Last I checked, I've seen a lot of MWC games on TV starting around 8:00 or later. You'd think they'd wanna look east and get teams that allow for games to be played easily in prime slots. Not saying it can't be done with the 4 corner schools but it just seems odd that they look at the conference who struggled with TV deals partially because none watched their games due to time zone.
I imagine that at the moment the priority for the remaining four PAC schools is to keep the conference itself in tact to keep the undistributed NCAA credits. If the conference dissolves the four remaining schools are further screwed (especially as evidently due to the lack of media contract there are no departure fees for the six most recent departures).

Reaction Score
Did you hear Ray Anderson's comment on sending ASU's soccer team to Syracuse? That pretty much says it all. The man spent time in Cambridge, too.

Reaction Score
I imagine that at the moment the priority for the remaining four PAC schools is to keep the conference itself in tact to keep the undistributed NCAA credits. If the conference dissolves the four remaining schools are further screwed (especially as evidently due to the lack of media contract there are no departure fees for the six most recent departures).
To say nothing about the exit fees of all those schools -- assuming that even though the media deal is not in place that the exiting schools still have to pay fees. That would be a pile of money. So bringing in a lot of MWC schools would perhaps do the trick.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've never eaten Jello on a full stomach.
Your stomach or somebody else's?

The wiggle with each inhale & exhale is amazing, though a hairy belly factors in for those considering a full-stomached man, and hairy-bellied women is too niche for me to speculate.

Reaction Score
Iowa State AD interviewed on 365 Sports today said when Colorado said yes and it looked like the other corner schools were on the fence/saying they preferred to be in the PAC, he thought it was going to be UConn as the 14th. Said he was pretty sure that's how it was going down... And then it didn't.

Reaction Score
The final days ...

Comprehensive synopsis of what happened, except that there is no mention of UConn being invited to the BIG12 if the PAC9 held. By all accounts, that was going to happen. If so, it pisses me off they did not mention that in this article.

Reaction Score
Time for Lamont to get ESPN to pay up!
There was that trucker who weeks ago did some voodoo math and explained that 17 was the ideal number in all of this!

Reaction Score
At least the Big 12 showed interest. Nobody else does. Better options became available. Taking UConn is a bold decision.

Reaction Score
At least the Big 12 showed interest. Nobody else does. Better options became available. Taking UConn is a bold decision.
The 3 corner schools were a package deal. It wasn't a hard decision for the B12. ASU, Arizona, and Utah protected each other.

Reaction Score
To say nothing about the exit fees of all those schools -- assuming that even though the media deal is not in place that the exiting schools still have to pay fees. That would be a pile of money. So bringing in a lot of MWC schools would perhaps do the trick.
There are no exit fees because there was no media contract . I’m not sure about the LA schools .
The only recource is the PAC will have $400,000,000 to distribute. Media , Tournament, playoff .?They’re exploring ways of withholding money from departing schools . Good Luck with that

Reaction Score
So we have the votes if money can be found... Get on that Yormark.
i think the scarier issue is that there's no room on the television any more in theory, they've spent the hours.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

12 years ago, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were as good as gone to the Pac 12, Missouri was getting ready to head to the SEC, and Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor and Iowa State were cooked. What did UConn offer to do? Merge the Big East with them to throw them a lifeline.

12 years later, the same Big 12 schools that were almost decimated by the Pac 12 threw those same Pac 12 schools a lifeline to save their programs. UConn got absolutely nothing in return for trying to do the right thing 12 years ago.

Reaction Score

12 years ago, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were as good as gone to the Pac 12, Missouri was getting ready to head to the SEC, and Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor and Iowa State were cooked. What did UConn offer to do? Merge the Big East with them to throw them a lifeline.

12 years later, the same Big 12 schools that were almost decimated by the Pac 12 threw those same Pac 12 schools a lifeline to save their programs. UConn got absolutely nothing in return for trying to do the right thing 12 years ago.
UConn was offering them a lifeline, lolz.

It's amazing how lost you are.

Reaction Score

Amazing how perceptions change, for no reason.

"The most likely Big East candidates to be scooped up by remaining Big 12 schools are Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida and TCU, with the prospect that UConn and Rutgers may not be available if each school can land in the ACC.

"West Virginia would obviously be high on the list and the first one to be invited in any kind of merger if the Mountaineers don't wind up in the SEC."

"The ACC might not be done adding Big East teams. The conference reached 14 members with the recent additions, and UConn and Rutgers would allow it to continue to expand its presence in the Northeast."

""I think UConn will be in the ACC, if I had to guess," Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim said during a speech at the Monday Morning Quarterback Club in Birmingham, according to The Birmingham News. "I think Rutgers could be.""

Reaction Score
Rentschler field has a capacity of 40,000, and has 38,000 seats, I believe.

Kraft didn't make Connecticut build a football field in East Hartford. The legislature decided that that was a consolation prize. It was a case of Connecticut doing Connecticut things.

I continue to say that if the State wants to have the University of Connecticut help fluff up the economy of Hartford and East Hartford, they should offer us the use of state owned venues for free. Dave Benedict recently said that playing off-campus comes at an annual cost of $7.5 million a year to the University.
East Hartford was the "consolation prize", as you say.
Furthermore it was the last resort, because the idea of an on campus site (IMO, the best alternative), was rejected outright by the town of Mansfield. Was a 45 or 50 thousand seat stadium in Storrs the best idea?
A resounding YES !
However cowtown U, was checkmated by the residents of Mansfield. The only real alternative was P&W site, originally utilized as test site for plane engines. Connecticut, for all it's self-important claims, is nothing more than land between New York and Boston.
You know that old saying, it's ALL ABOUT
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.
And Connecticuts location is the reason why it will always be 2nd class and 2nd rate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
East Hartford was the "consolation prize", as you say.
Furthermore it was the last resort, because the idea of an on campus site (IMO, the best alternative), was rejected outright by the town of Mansfield. Was a 45 or 50 thousand seat stadium in Storrs the best idea?
A resounding YES !
However cowtown U, was checkmated by the residents of Mansfield. The only real alternative was P&W site, originally utilized as test site for plane engines. Connecticut, for all it's self-important claims, is nothing more than land between New York and Boston.
You know that old saying, it's ALL ABOUT
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.
And Connecticuts location is the reason why it will always be 2nd class and 2nd rate.
I don't think Mansfield residents had anything to do with the decision. I have no doubt that they would have squawked about it, because that's what they do, but it never got far enough along for them to complain.

For what it's worth, the potential site in the athletic campus behind Toscano would not require any approvals and already have it and environmental impact study done when the hockey rink was built.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom