For those that thought we were played... | The Boneyard

For those that thought we were played...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

We were not. At around 10 am Friday morning, it looked like we would be in.

"Exiting that Thursday night regents meeting, there was enough uncertainty about the intentions of Arizona and Arizona State that the Big 12 entered Friday morning wondering whether its plan had fallen apart and the Pac-12 would survive, which might’ve forced the conference to move on and explore adding UConn as its 14th member."

Reaction Score

"Exiting that Thursday night regents meeting, there was enough uncertainty about the intentions of Arizona and Arizona State that the Big 12 entered Friday morning wondering whether its plan had fallen apart and the Pac-12 would survive, which might’ve forced the conference to move on and explore adding UConn as its 14th member."
I personally don’t believe it for a second. The Big 12 could of had UCONN weeks or years ago. They didn’t pull the trigger because they never really wanted us. We were always the 4th choice and a pawn to use to get who they wanted. They are not that into us, even as the football team is on the rise and we just won a national championship. If the don’t want us now, they will never want us. Honestly, I never wanted them either.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I personally don’t believe it for a second. The Big 12 could of had UCONN weeks or years ago. They didn’t pull the trigger because they never really wanted us. We were always the 4th choice and a pawn to use to get who they wanted. They are not that into us, even as the football team is on the rise and we just won a national championship. If the don’t want us now, they will never want us. Honestly, I never wanted them either.
We were B. They would have happily taken us if only Colorado left.

Reaction Score
ACC offered the corner schools. ASU president confirmed in his interview that they had an ACC option. Yormark had to offer all 3 to get them away from the ACC. If that's the case, his move made sense.

Let's hope we are 17th or 18th. Yormark will have to do his magic to the media companies to pay pro rata or come close to it for the 17th and 18th first.

Reaction Score
The rumor was that the ACC offered 7-8 PAC schools. I assume it never reached any serious discussion stage, and the offer likely only worked if it included Washington and Oregon.
UConn was right there, and they never invited us. Really hope we get the B12 offer soon so we can get back to P5. We should reject the ACC offer if we have a choice.

Reaction Score
UConn was right there, and they never invited us. Really hope we get the B12 offer soon so we can get back to P5. We should reject the ACC offer if we have a choice.
I say take the first financially attractive offer. The fact that someone thinks that UConn should have a contingency plan in place in case that there might be TWO offers hurts my head. I don't think UConn has to worry about that.

Reaction Score
I say take the first financially attractive offer. The fact that someone thinks that UConn should have a contingency plan in place in case that there might be TWO offers hurts my head. I don't think UConn has to worry about that.
Agreed if ACC offered and we got no B12 offer, we take the ACC offer. If we have a choice, we have the B12 offer.

The ACC is dead man walking. Nothing will save it unless ESPiN offers to pay ACC SEC money, which will never happen.

Reaction Score

Exploring UConn does not equal “looked like we were in”.

Reaction Score
If conference realignment has shown anything it’s that a league can lose 2 big programs but once you get to 4 or more it’s over. In proof, it took multiple rounds to kill both the Big East and PAC. Meanwhile, the BigXII lost its anchors in Texas and Oklahoma, reloaded with 4 new programs, and negotiated a viable media contract.

It is inevitable the ACC will lose at least 4 (FSU, Clemson, UNC, VA) to the SEC/BIG10. At that point the remaining team in the ACC are going to go to market and if they can’t beat the media deal the Big12 has then the ACC is done.

The ACC is facing a challenge no conference has ever survived (losing, at a minimum, 4 or more schools at once.) Their only chance is to add schools now and have future strength in numbers (the Big12 model from last year.)

The Big12 survived by expanding and the PAC died because it was unwilling to expand. If the ACC doesn’t add teams it will cease to exist nlt 2036.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
This makes it hurt worse, not less

Reaction Score
I think it’s pretty clear that if Colorado was the only pac 12 defection we would have got in. So were we played as in the big 12 never would have taken us under any circumstance? I don’t think so.

But the big 12 priority was grab more pac schools. Once Arizona said yes we were done for. And that one specific scenario of needing a partner for Colorado is unlikely to come up again imo and they haven’t shown their interest is any more than that. I don’t think they want to get to 18 as badly as they wanted to get to 14. There’s multiple pac12 leftovers they could grab. Or maybe something happens with the Acc. I’m not ruling out ever getting in but I’m also not sitting here thinking just get them to expand to 18 and we’re good. I also don’t think that our true chances were honestly communicated with UConn admin and maybe that’s just business but it also adds into the we were played feeling.

Reaction Score
If UConn is always the fallback option, then UConn is getting played. There really is no other way to look at it.
We got played big time and used as standby bait to accelerate the process. I repeat LowMark is a total P.O.S. We screwed up in falling for the “sit tight and don’t do anything” routine. We have to be much more Machiavellian and out there scheming and positioning. In retrospect, we should have been fishing with ACC and stirring up the appearance of competition, and even dropping hints about the B1G. Got to be brutal these days.

Reaction Score
B12 offered the 3 corner schools because ACC offered. Also,. It was a chance for the B12 to kill a competitor the PAC.

I do believe B12 still want us. We will be either 17 or 18 with probably Oregon State.

They will need to get the both media companies ESPN and Fox to pay up, which I hope is why number 17 and 18 haven't been announced yet. Hopefully, it will be soon so we are not going through more weeks of speculation and aggravation.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
B12 offered the 3 corner schools because ACC offered. Also,. It was a chance for the B12 to kill a competitor the PAC.

I do believe B12 still want us. We will be either 17 or 18 with probably Oregon State.

They will need to get the both media companies ESPN and Fox to pay up, which I hope is why number 17 and 18 haven't been announced yet. Hopefully, it will be soon so we are not going through more weeks of speculation and aggravation.
The Big 12 is not adding us. I don't believe TV wants to pay for any more additions. If they did, they would have kept the Pac-12 alive.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is not adding us. I don't believe TV wants to pay for any more additions. If they did, they would have kept the Pac-12 alive.
If they want the East Coast and go national, they have to add us. Unless they are blind, they are all watching what the B1G is doing.

It is a matter of survival and the next media deal. They need us for the next media deal in 2031.

Reaction Score

If the Big 12 wanted UConn they would be in the Big 12! Enough! So many excuses.

Reaction Score
The trigger was WA and OR deciding in the early morning hours that the P12 deal was not viable. Thus they walked for a B1G payout only slightly above the P12 deal and with much higher travel obligations. .
For 5-6 years. Then the amount triples.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom