For those that thought we were played... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those that thought we were played...

Reaction Score

We were not. At around 10 am Friday morning, it looked like we would be in.

"Exiting that Thursday night regents meeting, there was enough uncertainty about the intentions of Arizona and Arizona State that the Big 12 entered Friday morning wondering whether its plan had fallen apart and the Pac-12 would survive, which might’ve forced the conference to move on and explore adding UConn as its 14th member."
Forced to add UConn is not exactly welcoming.

Reaction Score
If they want the East Coast and go national, they have to add us. Unless they are blind, they are all watching what the B1G is doing.

It is a matter of survival and the next media deal. They need us for the next media deal in 2031.
It seems to me that that the only one in the Big 12 who wants anything to do with the east is Yormark, not the Big 12 presidents. And we now know he is as fake as they come. The will likely get Cuse PItt Louisville from the ACC in 2031 if the ACC has defectors, and they won't need us then either. Don't believe anything that comes out of the Big 12 any longer. They cannot be trusted.

Reaction Score
I personally don’t believe it for a second. The Big 12 could of had UCONN weeks or years ago. They didn’t pull the trigger because they never really wanted us. We were always the 4th choice and a pawn to use to get who they wanted. They are not that into us, even as the football team is on the rise and we just won a national championship. If the don’t want us now, they will never want us. Honestly, I never wanted them either.
Yes, they didnt want UConn as much as most of you guys fantasized. There were always other programs in front of us.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that that the only one in the Big 12 who wants anything to do with the east is Yormark, not the Big 12 presidents. And we now know he is as fake as they come. The will likely get Cuse PItt Louisville from the ACC in 2031 if the ACC has defectors, and they won't need us then either. Don't believe anything that comes out of the Big 12 any longer. They cannot be trusted.
Yomark is fake because the B12 presidents wanted something else?

Reaction Score
If conference realignment has shown anything it’s that a league can lose 2 big programs but once you get to 4 or more it’s over. In proof, it took multiple rounds to kill both the Big East and PAC. Meanwhile, the BigXII lost its anchors in Texas and Oklahoma, reloaded with 4 new programs, and negotiated a viable media contract.

It is inevitable the ACC will lose at least 4 (FSU, Clemson, UNC, VA) to the SEC/BIG10. At that point the remaining team in the ACC are going to go to market and if they can’t beat the media deal the Big12 has then the ACC is done.

The ACC is facing a challenge no conference has ever survived (losing, at a minimum, 4 or more schools at once.) Their only chance is to add schools now and have future strength in numbers (the Big12 model from last year.)

The Big12 survived by expanding and the PAC died because it was unwilling to expand. If the ACC doesn’t add teams it will cease to exist nlt 2036.
Well, you have made a lot of really broad statements here. And I am not gonna debate them. Only I do want to point out that for one conference to lose members, those members had to have somewhere to go. Those billets are getting fewer and fewer.

Reaction Score
Well, you have made a lot of really broad statements here. And I am not gonna debate them. Only I do want to point out that for one conference to lose members, those members had to have somewhere to go. Those billets are getting fewer and fewer.
Ok let’s make it more simple…..

Any current ACC team which has an option to go the BIG10 or SEC will not remain in the ACC. There is no way the ACC can ever generate the same revenue (and perhaps equally important, football recruiting prestige) as the SEC/BIG10. The ACC departures will happen no later than but likely before 2036. The BIG10/SEC have already taken the best brands out of the PAC and Big12, the ACC is up next.

It is kind of like even when you are full there is always room for jello….there is always room for a UNC or FSU in the BIG10 or SEC.

Reaction Score
Agreed if ACC offered and we got no B12 offer, we take the ACC offer. If we have a choice, we have the B12 offer.

The ACC is dead man walking. Nothing will save it unless ESPiN offers to pay ACC SEC money, which will never happen.
Well, just think of the likely sequence of events if UConn is lucky enough to get an offer from the ACC. Such an offer is preceded by discussions. The parties agree on a whole host of issues over a period of weeks. When everything is lying flat, the ACC presidents meet and a consensus to invite UConn is reached. Then a little birdie whisper's in UConn's ear that an application to join the ACC would be favorably received. Based on the hint, UConn transmits the application (it has already prepared well in advance). The ACC presidents meet again to accept the application. If you think that the B12 would at the 11th hour rush in and make a last minute offer to snatch UConn away -- after turning UConn down twice already in favor of dominating the Utah market -- then I have a bridge in NYC that you might be interested in. Ain't happenin'. Forgetaboutit.

Reaction Score
I don't think Yormack anticipated that the Pac 12 would collapse so fast. He thought he had Colorado and needed a school to pair with them and that was UConn. But, all of a sudden there were Pac 12 schools available which forced a change in strategy for the Big 12. Schools in the Big 12 have history with the 3 corner schools so they were easy to integrate into the Big 12.

Clearly, Yormack's vision of creating the top basketball conference has taken a back seat. If the Big 12 adds 2 more Pac 12 schools, then the vision is over.

Reaction Score
I don't think Yormack anticipated that the Pac 12 would collapse so fast. He thought he had Colorado and needed a school to pair with them and that was UConn. But, all of a sudden there were Pac 12 schools available which forced a change in strategy for the Big 12. Schools in the Big 12 have history with the 3 corner schools so they were easy to integrate into the Big 12.

Clearly, Yormack's vision of creating the top basketball conference has taken a back seat. If the Big 12 adds 2 more Pac 12 schools, then the vision is over.
I think Yormark played both sides of the FB and BB angles, which was smart because no matter how it played out he could claim victory. It seemed like from the time USC/UCLA announced they were leaving that the buzz started about the 4 corner schools to the Big12. Yormark certainly takes his direction from the university presidents so FB won out. Hopefully he can still sell his BB vision now that he's loaded up on the FB/southwest-mountains side.

Reaction Score
Wake up and smell the coffee! UConn got played by Yormark big time. Everyone swallowed the bait, hook, line, and sinker.
Nope - never had a sip of coffee in my entire life.

Reaction Score
I think Yormark played both sides of the FB and BB angles, which was smart because no matter how it played out he could claim victory. It seemed like from the time USC/UCLA announced they were leaving that the buzz started about the 4 corner schools to the Big12. Yormark certainly takes his direction from the university presidents so FB won out. Hopefully he can still sell his BB vision now that he's loaded up on the FB/southwest-mountains side.
Don't count on it. Can't trust him.

Reaction Score
Don't count on it. Can't trust him.
We shall see. But I just don't get it why everyone who feels spurned thinks we got played. Just because a potential business deal doesn't happen, it doesn't mean that one party played the other. One party simply had other better options and or couldn't make their business partners (i.e. media companies) happy enough. Bottom line is our football is and has held us back for a decade and we have to improve it to move up into a power conference. The Big12 also knows we'll be available whenever they want us. Sad, but true.

Reaction Score
We shall see. But I just don't get it why everyone who feels spurned thinks we got played. Just because a potential business deal doesn't happen, it doesn't mean that one party played the other. One party simply had other better options and or couldn't make their business partners (i.e. media companies) happy enough. Bottom line is our football is and has held us back for a decade and we have to improve it to move up into a power conference. The Big12 also knows we'll be available whenever they want us. Sad, but true.
What they mean is that “they” got played because they chose to believe internet rumors that made them feel good, and then he to feel bad when it didn’t come to pass.

I said when this started that I didn’t see the XII inviting us. I wish I had been wrong but I was not. Not we’ll see if we’re sitting still for another few years, or if the next round comes up. Unfortunately, the reality remains for now what I said when this started — We are not worth a share of what the XII or ACC is paying people unless and until basketball is given more importance to the major conferences or we vastly improve football.

Reaction Score
I guess looking at it in the cold light of dawn, it is not so difficult to understand. The corner schools are all in the AAU, three of them used to be in the B12 with all those ties, and Utah was the Pac12 Champion the last two years. Add that to the fact that the ACC offered them during the moments of maximum churn, and it becomes easy to understand how the B12 added all four.

So, if UConn gives NCST a helluva game, perhaps even beating them, beats Duke, and adds a BB natty or two in March, they will be the hottest girl at the dance next June. That is where we are at.

Who's gonna start at QB?

Reaction Score
I think the admin owes the fan base and alumni a better answer than silence. I’d like to see some backbone instead of hiding in the corner.

Reaction Score
What they mean is that “they” got played because they chose to believe internet rumors that made them feel good, and then he to feel bad when it didn’t come to pass.

I said when this started that I didn’t see the XII inviting us. I wish I had been wrong but I was not. Not we’ll see if we’re sitting still for another few years, or if the next round comes up. Unfortunately, the reality remains for now what I said when this started — We are not worth a share of what the XII or ACC is paying people unless and until basketball is given more importance to the major conferences or we vastly improve football.
It's not internet rumors, Yomark publicly talked about his vision for the conference several times, was at UConn was at Rucker.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ok let’s make it more simple…..

Any current ACC team which has an option to go the BIG10 or SEC will not remain in the ACC. There is no way the ACC can ever generate the same revenue (and perhaps equally important, football recruiting prestige) as the SEC/BIG10. The ACC departures will happen no later than but likely before 2036. The BIG10/SEC have already taken the best brands out of the PAC and Big12, the ACC is up next.

It is kind of like even when you are full there is always room for jello….there is always room for a UNC or FSU in the BIG10 or SEC.

I've never eaten Jello on a full stomach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, just think of the likely sequence of events if UConn is lucky enough to get an offer from the ACC. Such an offer is preceded by discussions. The parties agree on a whole host of issues over a period of weeks. When everything is lying flat, the ACC presidents meet and a consensus to invite UConn is reached. Then a little birdie whisper's in UConn's ear that an application to join the ACC would be favorably received. Based on the hint, UConn transmits the application (it has already prepared well in advance). The ACC presidents meet again to accept the application. If you think that the B12 would at the 11th hour rush in and make a last minute offer to snatch UConn away -- after turning UConn down twice already in favor of dominating the Utah market -- then I have a bridge in NYC that you might be interested in. Ain't happenin'. Forgetaboutit.
Then again, and ACC offer isn't coming either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've never eaten Jello on a full stomach.
On the other hand I've done Jell-O shots on an empty stomach. Surprisingly, it didn't end badly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is what I find to be the most mind boggling. The PAC 12 always struggled with national relevance because of the time zone issue. Their games were on too late. So why add 4 schools in the Mtn time zone? Last I checked, I've seen a lot of MWC games on TV starting around 8:00 or later. You'd think they'd wanna look east and get teams that allow for games to be played easily in prime slots. Not saying it can't be done with the 4 corner schools but it just seems odd that they look at the conference who struggled with TV deals partially because none watched their games due to time zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom