For those that thought we were played... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

For those that thought we were played...

Reaction Score
I don't think Mansfield residents had anything to do with the decision. I have no doubt that they would have squawked about it, because that's what they do, but it never got far enough along for them to complain.

For what it's worth, the potential site in the athletic campus behind Toscano would not require any approvals and already have it and environmental impact study done when the hockey rink was built.
We will agree to disagree. Residents of Mansfield and Storrs, in particular, were totally against a new stadium in their town. Multiple stories in Courant, Bulletin, Chronicle, etc had people against the stadium. Local politicians and residents also were against the stadium. Many were concerned about traffic, crowds, and ruining the country atmosphere of Storrs. I do agree that the stadium did belong in Storrs, however the residents spoke against it, and surprisingly Hartford listened

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We will agree to disagree. Residents of Mansfield and Storrs, in particular, were totally against a new stadium in their town. Multiple stories in Courant, Bulletin, Chronicle, etc had people against the stadium. Local politicians and residents also were against the stadium. Many were concerned about traffic, crowds, and ruining the country atmosphere of Storrs. I do agree that the stadium did belong in Storrs, however the residents spoke against it, and surprisingly Hartford listened
That's not my recollection, but, I could've missed it.

I've tried to Google to find those stories in the past and I never could. I feel as if people are conflating other projects on campus that the Mansfield residents opposed with the notion of a campus. (Most notably Pfizer wanted to build a joint research facility on campus and Mansfield residents opposed it.) If you feel like searching for one can turn it up, post a link. I'd be interested in reading it.

Now, there was a proposal to build a stadium plus what would've been the equivalent of the Burton facility, plus what would've been the equivalent of Shenkman. It was a first class group of buildings all rolled into a single project. That got rejected by the legislature, but it was due to cost. Essentially the school got greedy and put out this big wish list proposal that was rejected.

Again, though, that was over 20 years ago so my recollection could be wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom