Florida State Drama | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Florida State Drama

Reaction Score
You have to wonder what the ACC lower tier schools are thinking. Even if the GOR holds until the bitter end, the outcome is inevitable. What happened to the football Big East…..what happened to the PAC-12…..it’s going to happen to the ACC. The only question is when?
It depends on the remaining schools. A lot of people seem to think the B1G and SEC want to pay $100m for NC State and Miami and Virginia Tech. Me, I'm not so sure. I actually think not.

UNC, UVa, FSU, Clemson will get landing spots. I don't think Miami will unless ND decides to join a conference.

In the event that the remaining schools are Virginia Tech, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, ND, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville, I'd say that these schools are stronger than the B1G precisely because they are located in east coast states with population density.

Reaction Score
UNC spends 2/3 the revenue that FSU expends on football...(FSU spends $20 million more) and twice as much on basketball.

That is the priority the programs put on their primary sport.

Reaction Score
Why is your need for money any different than any other schools? Everyone thinks they're special.
It's not but if the ACC wants to stay together long term then the schools with the most value will have to be compensated

Reaction Score
It depends on the remaining schools. A lot of people seem to think the B1G and SEC want to pay $100m for NC State and Miami and Virginia Tech. Me, I'm not so sure. I actually think not.

UNC, UVa, FSU, Clemson will get landing spots. I don't think Miami will unless ND decides to join a conference.

In the event that the remaining schools are Virginia Tech, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, ND, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville, I'd say that these schools are stronger than the B1G precisely because they are located in east coast states with population density.
Just trying to understand- why is UVA attractive? Great academics, but the school is half the size of UConn and is middling in football.

Reaction Score
UNC spends 2/3 the revenue that FSU expends on football...(FSU spends $20 million more) and twice as much on basketball.

That is the priority the programs put on their primary sport.
I'm not sure if you know but UNC guarantees every scholarship, so even if a player decides to go pro, play 10 plus years in the league etc, if they decide to return to school & complete their degree is covered 100% by the University. The AD is responsible for those funds. And can't get wrapped up in what is reported as revenue when UNC has well over 700 million spread across endowments that cover everything from scholarships to each sports operating budget

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you know but UNC guarantees every scholarship, so even if a player decides to go pro, play 10 plus years in the league etc, if they decide to return to school & complete their degree is covered 100% by the University. The AD is responsible for those funds.
What does this even mean when UNC is good with giving credit for no show classes?

Reaction Score
Nobody but the ACC and a few lawyers that flew to North Carolina to review it seem to know what is in the ESPN agreement with the ACC...but you can bet that agreement will always say whtever ESPN wants it to say....ESPN wants to do something ? Shazam ! As long as the ACC is made whole re current $$.
RIgot. Exactly. Which, as I keep saying and you keep seeming to disagree with, you should assume that the GOR rights that the schools gave to the ACC were then assigned to ESPN in return for ESPN’s dollars. You can tell me a million times that FSU only assigned it to the ACC, but that doesn’t change that the rational thing for the ACC to have done was sell everyone’s rights to ESPN.

Reaction Score
Just trying to understand- why is UVA attractive? Great academics, but the school is half the size of UConn and is middling in football.
Very populous state, would be a great fit to the B1G, a lot of football talent in state, especially around Norfolk/Virginia Beach

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The SEC now has Texas, TAMU, Bama, LSU, Florida — FSU wouldn’t even be the biggest diva.

As much as everyone talks about the BiG bring top dog, it has a long term demographics problem. It needs access to growing areas, with big pipelines of HS athletes.
You are making my point. They don’t need FSU at all and are seeing how they act when they are mediocre, which is inevitable against that lineup.

Reaction Score
Spitballing from the State of the U:

"Even if the ACC can’t force a departing Miami to not air its football games, Miami will still owe the estimated $120 million exit fee plus some sort of damages for breaking the media rights deal. That could reasonably be Miami’s expected revenue share had it stayed, or about $30 million annually. My handy-dandy calculator informs me that’s a $390 million dollar penalty for exiting 13 years early. All together, the fair price tag to leave the ACC thirteen years early could be half a billion dollars. Yikes."

More mainstream thought from CBS Dennis Dodd:

"An ACC league source last year told CBS Sports, at that time, it might have cost as much as $500 million total to exit the league, including its grant of rights, as there were then 14 years left on the deal. Other estimates have been lower but still significant."
"My handy-dandy calculator"

Do they still sell those?

Reaction Score
If FSU and Clemson and Miami leave, could SMU, Cal, Stanford and UConn all be asked to join the ACC
Your question was fine until you added UConn to the "Add" set. Then it just became silly.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you need to add a has-been school like FSU and a flash in the pan like Clemson. Once you bring a school into your conference you are stuck with them forever and ever. I'm sure the SEC wishes it had a do over on Missouri.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you need to add a has-been school like FSU and a flash in the pan like Clemson. Once you bring a school into your conference you are stuck with them forever and ever. I'm sure the SEC wishes it had a do over on Missouri.

Handle...says it all

pj

Reaction Score

I agree with what you said prior to this. Here I thought what you were leading up to is that Va Tech, NC State, Duke, Wake, Miami, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and UConn (Notre Dame a possible 13th if they don't land elsewhere) would make for a solid 12 team conference that would be equal or superior, in terms of value of media rights, to the B12 as currently constituted.

I assume "B1G" was just a mis-typing of B12?

Reaction Score
Unless FSU has an offer from either the SEC or the Big 10 they aren't going anywhere. They aren't worth enough as an independent to make financial sense.
I think FSU is panicking. They aren't the powerhouse that they used to be, and now they are falling behind SEC and Big 10 schools financially. If they wait for the GOR to expire they not have any value to either the SEC or Big 10. I'm not convinced they any value to them now.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you know but UNC guarantees every scholarship, so even if a player decides to go pro, play 10 plus years in the league etc, if they decide to return to school & complete their degree is covered 100% by the University. The AD is responsible for those funds. And can't get wrapped up in what is reported as revenue when UNC has well over 700 million spread across endowments that cover everything from scholarships to each sports operating budget
FSU also covers returning athletes....

Reaction Score

That is certainly a stronger conference than the Big XII. And I agree with you — only UNC, UVA, Clemson and FSU can be confident they will have a chair when the ACC comes into play.

Reaction Score
I agree with what you said prior to this. Here I thought what you were leading up to is that Va Tech, NC State, Duke, Wake, Miami, Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, and UConn (Notre Dame a possible 13th if they don't land elsewhere) would make for a solid 12 team conference that would be equal or superior, in terms of value of media rights, to the B12 as currently constituted.

I assume "B1G" was just a mis-typing of B12?
Yes, I messed that up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom