FINAL Gampel Court | Page 4 | The Boneyard

FINAL Gampel Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Took my GF to the gtown game at gamp this year. First thing she said was "the roof needs to be fixed." Didn't take anything away from the experience of that game obviously. She turned into a UCONN fan that game even though we lost.

Reaction Score
UConn...AAC

Teams that aren't as good as us? Maybe in basketball, but it was pretty obvious that wasn't Dan's point.

Yeah, remember back when we had the old logo and block C and we got invited to the B1G/ACC?

Reaction Score
D4CfFIi.jpg

Hope the mean & scary wolf doesn't scare little children away.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Yeah, remember back when we had the old logo and block C and we got invited to the B1G/ACC?

This is great. It was the logo as to why we are where we are. Lol anything to protect warde u guys are to much. The logo and brand is about how to capture and build a fanbase. I believe it's the wrong way. Others don't. But please, u and a lot of others continue to side step the actual issue and make things up and bs a lot to hide the fact that there is a issue you guys don't want to address.

If all you guys want to do is win bball championships and have 12-15k in Hartford and 9k in gampel for the rest of your life's then just come out of the closet and say so. We can knock down the rent and the pf. Sell umass some of our helmets and goal posts and we can call the big east and tell them we dropped football and now would like to join.

The logo brand is all about football and they screwed it up. We have a established bball base that's here to stay and will grow by accident with our great programs. We needed to be aggressive fball wise and instead we took the easy way out. Free logo. Short name. And so on. It's a crime that our leadership does not give a frock like some fans here do.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The UConn Huskies twitter just released what the final court will look like:

2kfot.jpg

You beat me to it. This in't bad at all. The other pictures help, because it look much better glossy. I like the choice of sponsor, if we're still thinking B1G. Sadly, it seems very odd not to have the Big East logo somewhere.

Reaction Score
Right below the hoop, it says Alumni Court. That's interesting. Has that always been the name?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Good grief...

I studied for four years at UConn. I've read my fair share of novels, biographies, and non-fictional accounts of history and science. I've been to 39 of 50 states and D.C., as well as 6 foreign countries. My wife would tell you that I have more than enough trivial knowledge floating in my head to make a decent run at Ken Jennings' Jeopardy record. I don't think she is being literal, but I still consider myself to be somewhat astute.

The lay person is not at Gampel for the beauty of the roof (though they, like I, surely noticed the triangles that make up the dome). They are their for the beauty of the full court press, the fast break, the alley-oop, and the game winning 3 pointer.

I'm not trying to disparage the man, or alter your opinion of him or the roof. I am saying that not everyone shares your view. I am also suggesting that the Administration exhaust all routes in developing that solution.
You must learn to unlearn what you think you "know." Only then will you have the capacity to appreciate the singular beauty of Patoni's masterpiece and legacy.

Reaction Score
I was looking for the thread but couldnt find it... I believe he went by the name of Enzo... wonderful old Italian man, and the Gampel tiles were his masterpiece. Unfortunately he passed away years ago and his shop in Hartford blew up in a kiln fire shortly after. The diagrams and molds for the tiles were lost in the explosion, and cannot be duplicated... ever.
Perhaps not duplcated, but if there is a nece$$ity for it I'm sure they can be replicated or replaced in some manner. Remember once the new practice facility is finished next year they will have the whole off season to replace the ceiling when they are ready to do so.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You must learn to unlearn what you think you "know." Only then will you have the capacity to appreciate the singular beauty of Patoni's masterpiece and legacy.

As I said...Good grief.

Reaction Score
Enzo Patoni, God rest his soul.

R.I.P. to one of the greatest artisan craftsmen of his time, or any time. He literally and figuratively broke the mold.
I heard Enzo started out stuffing raviolis, mannicotti, giant shells, and cannolis in the south-end, and then he moved on to bigger things. Maybe Geno knows someone in the old country he can bring over to handle the job.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No disrepect to the Departed, nor to 8893, but I'm more inclined to agree with mauconnfan. The Sistine Chapel ceiling is an original fresco painted by arguably the greatest artist of his time in the 16th century. I simply do not get the same tingle up my spine when I walk into Gampel as I did (on two separate occassions a decade apart) the Sistine Chapel (which has been reconditioned and restored, BTW) or the Pantheon (my favority structure in Rome and has also been modified as recently as the 19th century). Gampel is just 23 years old, there is simply no comparison.

Gampel looks to me like a typical geodesic dome. If there is any discernable artwork or engineering feat, it is not visible from the concourse to the lay person.

Agreed. The general response of those of us who were in Storrs when it was being built was that (1) it was great that it was so much better than the Field House! Hell, it might not even leak! and (2) man it was kind of homely, and why did it have that weird dome? There were many U-condom[e] jokes at the time. Complete with illustrations. It is not art. The place holds magic solely do to the feats that have occured upon the court and for that reason alone. I was there for game 1 vs St. Johns, right behind the basket (and for every other game that season), so I appreciate the place as much as it can be. The roof is inconsequential. It tiles that cannot be replaced were used, that was a collossal blunder.

Reaction Score
This is great. It was the logo as to why we are where we are. Lol anything to protect warde u guys are to much. The logo and brand is about how to capture and build a fanbase. I believe it's the wrong way. Others don't. But please, u and a lot of others continue to side step the actual issue and make things up and bs a lot to hide the fact that there is a issue you guys don't want to address.

My favorite part is where you talk about how I don't want to "address" the real issue?

See, your problem is that you can't accept the things about the world you don't like. So you cry. A lot. Which is fine.

I can't hire or fire coaches. I can't choose our logo. I can't hire an AD or choose our schedule or recruit for our programs.

I can show up and try to be supportive and root on the kids who represent my alma matter no matter who they hire. That's it. That's all I can do.

If you think writing letters to Warde and Herbst that they'd need a cryptographer to decipher and crying about this all over message boards and Twitter and constantly insulting people who don't agree with you is "doing something," then go right ahead. Whine away. It's America, after all.

But don't expect me to be super impressed by your "logic." Just cause you type a lot of stuff doesn't mean you're right or that you "get it." You're just a dude with a computer and a lot of opinions.

Welcome to the Internet.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I heard Enzo started out stuffing raviolis, mannicotti, giant shells, and cannolis in the south-end, and then he moved on to bigger things. Maybe Geno knows someone in the old country he can bring over to handle the job.

Stop stop stop. Patoni was always a mason. In fact, his gramma invented the mason jar. Awesome pepper pickler in her day. But Enzo never stuffed anything but his pockets.

I have heard that a Patoni kiln is in fact functional and back in the home town of Caltagirone, Sicily. I am sure, tho, in UConn's movement forward that the Patoni tile has had its day.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Patoni was always a mason.

Now we're getting somewhere. What do the Masons and the Sacreds have in common, oh 'Yard faithful?

No, the man didn't stuff pasta or pastries, but he did enjoy his Sfogliatella, both from Mozzicato's in his adopted home of Hartford, and especially the ones I would bring up from Lucibello's in New Haven. I started out bringing them up for Lew, but when Enzo arrived the order quickly doubled! I swear, in the right light, I could tell the difference between the tiles he fabricated on the days when he was fueled by the Lucibello's pastries and those he made on all the other days (not unlike the Beinecke Rare Book Library at Yale, the Patoni tiles are fabricated under strict conditions that allow the filtration of damaging light, leaving only a sort of luminescence that preserves the contents within).

I have heard that a Patoni kiln is in fact functional and back in the home town of Caltagirone, Sicily.

This is good news, in that there may be a possible solution to this dilemma if this is true. If a direct descendent of Enzo (eligible to be a Mason) is able to work with the original kiln, there is a *chance* that replacement tiles could be properly fabricated. As you know, although Enzo was a devoted husband, his wife was, sadly, barren. However, he was known to have a fondness for pasty, overweight co-eds, and to have spread the seed of his loin far and wide throughout the hills of Storrs, often cruising the Dairy Bar for prospects. Legend has it that their skin reminded him of the Alabaster with which he most loved to work. So...keep an eye out for men in the area around 23 to 25 years old, partly of Italian descent, with a single mother, or a mother who has married someone who doesn't appear to be his father. You may be looking at a Patoni, and perhaps our last, best hope to remedy this vexing situation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The UConn Huskies twitter just released what the final court will look like:

2kfot.jpg
Does no one else see the obelisk?

Hmmm...Patoni strikes again!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Is it right between the eyes of the wolf? I mean Husky?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agreed. The general response of those of us who were in Storrs when it was being built was that (1) it was great that it was so much better than the Field House! Hell, it might not even leak! and (2) man it was kind of homely, and why did it have that weird dome? There were many U-condom[e] jokes at the time. Complete with illustrations. It is not art. The place holds magic solely do to the feats that have occured upon the court and for that reason alone. I was there for game 1 vs St. Johns, right behind the basket (and for every other game that season), so I appreciate the place as much as it can be. The roof is inconsequential. It tiles that cannot be replaced were used, that was a collossal blunder.

You're completely off the wall if you think UConn should have opted for something less.

The Patoni tile cannot be easily replaced and it surely cannot be duplicated, but there are only a bare handful of universities in the world that can claim that Il Papa designed and built tiles on their campus.

There are designers and historians that visit UConn for the sole purpose of seeing the tiles that you consider to be a "collassal(sic) blunder". But, hey, I'm sure we can slap some Chinese tiles up there because some nitwits on the Boneyard like things tidy.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The general response of those of us who were in Storrs when it was being built was that (2) man it was kind of homely, and why did it have that weird dome? There were many U-condom[e] jokes at the time. Complete with illustrations. It is not art. The place holds magic solely do to the feats that have occured upon the court and for that reason alone

How dare you! Every night we walked home drunk from Teds to McMahon we would stop in front of Gampel, kneel down, and pay homage to the palace that was replacing the field house. My hand prints are forever cast in the concrete that they ridiculously decided to pour late one Saturday night just before we headed home. It is not homely, a condom or anything of the sort. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

catintinfoil.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I suspected Herbst of being Iluminati. Really what more proof is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom