FINAL Gampel Court | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FINAL Gampel Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard can a bunch of idiots turn a convo. That list is full of schools that make 20mil plus every year. We make 1.5mil. Yet u guys in a desperate act try to pump chest about bball titles which isn't part of this convo. It's brand appearance and state capturing of a fanbase. U are all clowns to take this convo the wrong way to try to be funny. Your part of the problem.

Florida has a block f they use some behind the gator on certain things. Clemson has a block c now they use behind the paw which is iconic. There are many more examples.

The bottom line is either you understand things are very messy right now, or your a uconn basketball fan that's happy go lucky and doesn't understand crap about what's going on right now and you just like titles being handed to u.

Keep clowning it up fellas. Next time u all complain about the xl crowd or the gampel ceiling just remember its part of a way bigger picture of bad decision that u all sport by being dumb asz uninformed fans.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard can a bunch of idiots turn a convo. That list is full of schools that make 20mil plus every year. We make 1.5mil. Yet u guys in a desperate act try to pump chest about bball titles which isn't part of this convo. It's brand appearance and state capturing of a fanbase. U are all clowns to take this convo the wrong way to try to be funny. Your part of the problem.

Florida has a block f they use some behind the gator on certain things. Clemson has a block c now they use behind the paw which is iconic. There are many more examples.

The bottom line is either you understand things are very messy right now, or your a uconn basketball fan that's happy go lucky and doesn't understand crap about what's going on right now and you just like titles being handed to u.

Keep clowning it up fellas. Next time u all complain about the xl crowd or the gampel ceiling just remember its part of a way bigger picture of bad decision that u all sport by being dumb asz uninformed fans.
Your argument seems to more clearly indicate that both Florida and Clemson are diluting their brand by utilizing multiple logos while UCONN is doing the opposite by streamlining theirs. The fact that you don't like it isn't evidence of their inadequacy, it's only evidence that one psychotic boneyard poster with no marketing experience whatsoever doesn't like it. I think I'll join the others who have blocked your posts. You were entertaining initially but recently have me considering leaving the yard after nearly 14 years. Instead of that drastic move I'll just hide your silly rants. I'm feeling better already

Reaction Score

HFD is right guys! The fact that we're in the AAC, are making less money than football powerhouses with a long tradition, and have a smaller fanbase are all tied to the decision to put our new logo at center court instead of a block "C' or outline of the state. HFD's insight is bested only by his grasp of the English language.

Reaction Score
That C should help galvanize all Clemsonians, from the teeming Southern Clemson coastline to those famous Clemson mountains to the north. It is a brand the whole state of Clemson should be able to rally around.

Look: blame the Mohegans or Pequots if you wish, but Connecticut is a tough name to work with. It is 11 letters and four syllables. Too long, tough to read on the front of a jersey, tough to work into marketing designs. It's why Penn and Penn State both don't use the full state name, why California just goes by Cal (although basketball will use the full California on their jerseys), why Mississippi uses Ole Miss, why Louisiana State is always known as LSU, and, sure, why Massachusetts tends to go by UMass. Tennessee and Washington have tended to stay with full names - other than informal things like U-Dub or UT, but I'm sure UWash didn't make it through testing years ago "UWash, UDry, UFold". Tennessee is two letters and a syllable shorter.

Whatever works at other places, UConn Huskies works for us. It is how we are known. I have never - not once - had to explain who I'm talking about when I say I root for UConn. Or at least not since 1990 when Mr. Stockton kept calling us "The UConn" as we made our way through the tourney (Mr. Stockton's first name is not allowed by the filter). We don't have an identifiable C - we do have a very identifiable five-letter shorthand name for our school. Or one letter more than the school with more national championships than anyone has (and uses on everything).

Reaction Score
i read this a while back, but can't find the source (might have been on the-boneyard actually). apparently the ceiling tiles were each hand made by a gentleman in connecticut who has since passed away. i remember reading that he was the only one who could make them, and thus they have yet to develop a solution now that he is no longer alive. additionally, they were super expensive (since they were hand-made).
or maybe i'm completely wrong... anyone else care to comment?

I was looking for the thread but couldnt find it... I believe he went by the name of Enzo... wonderful old Italian man, and the Gampel tiles were his masterpiece. Unfortunately he passed away years ago and his shop in Hartford blew up in a kiln fire shortly after. The diagrams and molds for the tiles were lost in the explosion, and cannot be duplicated... ever.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was looking for the thread but couldnt find it... I believe he went by the name of Enzo... wonderful old Italian man, and the Gampel tiles were his masterpiece. Unfortunately he passed away years ago and his shop in Hartford blew up in a kiln fire shortly after. The diagrams and molds for the tiles were lost in the explosion, and cannot be duplicated... ever.
Enzo Patoni, God rest his soul.

R.I.P. to one of the greatest artisan craftsmen of his time, or any time. He literally and figuratively broke the mold.

Reaction Score
HFD is right guys! The fact that we're in the AAC, are making less money than football powerhouses with a long tradition, and have a smaller fanbase are all tied to the decision to put our new logo at center court instead of a block "C' or outline of the state. HFD's insight is bested only by his grasp of the English language.
I think Dan knows that these schools have been playing big boy football for a 100 years and that they had to undergo an evolutionary process. Its just that ours is coming at the worst possible time and we need to minimze that timeline as quickly as possible. He disagrees with whats being done to achieve that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I find it difficult to believe that, in this day and age and with all the technology at our disposal, the tiles cannot be reversed engineered. I'm sure they thought of it and it may very well be cost prohibitive. To HFD's point (There is one, once you sift through all the crap), this is the perfect reason to run a Tile Drive to save Gampel Pavilion. Good marketing and a chance to tell the story of Gampel. Not necessarily the making of, but how the building has housed 11 National champions and we don't want to lose that history, etc. etc. etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I find it difficult to believe that, in this day and age and with all the technology at our disposal, the tiles cannot be reversed engineered. I'm sure they thought of it and it may very well be cost prohibitive. To HFD's point (There is one, once you sift through all the crap), this is the perfect reason to run a Tile Drive to save Gampel Pavilion. Good marketing and a chance to tell the story of Gampel. Not necessarily the making of, but how the building has housed 11 National champions and we don't want to lose that history, etc. etc. etc.
I think you fail to appreciate the magnitude of this undertaking. It's the equivalent of trying reverse engineer the Sistine Chapel.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why is "uconn huskies " upside down in the blue. No way should it be facing that way

Quite simply, it is not visible to the near side of the court during games, only the far side. It would look pretty awkward if fans on the other side had to read"UConn Huskies" upside down, when they are the only ones that it benefits. They alread have to deal with the upside down logo.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I believe it was Fishy who once said "One does not simply walk into Home Depot and buy Patoni tiles."

We were blessed to have that man's handiwork in the Pavilion.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think you fail to appreciate the magnitude of this undertaking. It's the equivalent of trying reverse engineer the Sistine Chapel.

Perhaps you missed where I wrote, "I'm sure they thought of it and it may very well be cost prohibitive."

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Benard Shaw

Husky25

Reaction Score
I believe it was Fishy who once said "One does not simply walk into Home Depot and buy Patoni tiles."

We were blessed to have that man's handiwork in the Pavilion.
Well apparently not, because the tiles need to be fixed and/or replaced and there is not a current method at our disposal by which to do it.

If the tiles cannot be fixed and it is cost prohibitive to reverse engineer them, then it is probably as good of an excuse as any to tear down the arena and build anew with a hockey rink, which will cost more than the $50 mil (considering time value of money) to build the original. The building is 23 years old and younger structures in the country have been torn down for less reason.

Otherwise it's time to find an unreasonable man with some mechanical engineering apptitude and get it done. Either way spare the martyrdom until after they develop a solution to the problem.

Reaction Score

From what I understand, when Enzo first installed the tiles at GP, the administration was so awed by the artisrty of the Patoni tiles that they simply thought they would last forever, much like a Sistine Chapel (mentioned above) or other such iconic works of art. And even if by some crazy misfortune the tiles fell into disrepair, the molds still existed in Enzo's shop in Hartford. However that all changed after the kiln exploson.
There have been numerous attempts to duplicate the famous Patoni tiles of Gampel, but they have all failed miserably. In fact, the failures have been so monumental that legend has it that the ghost of Enzo Patoni himself has returned to sabotage the work of those who try to copy his masterpiece, forever ensuring that he is the one and only architect of the Gampel Pavillion tiles.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Perhaps you missed where I wrote, "I'm sure they thought of it and it may very well be cost prohibitive."

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him... The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Benard Shaw
Well apparently not, because the tiles need to be fixed and/or replaced and there is not a current method at our disposal by which to do it.

If the tiles cannot be fixed and it is cost prohibitive to reverse engineer them, then it is probably as good of an excuse as any to tear down the arena and build anew with a hockey rink, which will cost more than the $50 mil (considering time value of money) to build the original. The building is 23 years old and younger structures in the country have been torn down for less reason.

Otherwise it's time to find an unreasonable man with some mechanical engineering apptitude and get it done. Either way spare the martyrdom until after a they develop a solution to the problem.
Perhaps my Sistine Chapel analogy oversimplified it. It's the equivalent of putting the Sistine Chapel inside the Pantheon, and putting that inside the Great Pyramids. Much like the Pyramids and the Pantheon, we do not even know how the Gampel structure was made, and it surpasses even our advanced understanding of so-called "modern" technology. Would one blow up the Pantheon or the Great Pyramids simply because some pieces are chipped and we cannot rebuild them? I don't think so. Now think about a great, original work of art inside, that is itself another great mystery altogether.

This is not simply an issue of cost, but of honoring one of the greatest works of all time, giving it its due place in history and allowing future generations to marvel at it for time immemorial.

Reaction Score
While I know little about Patoni or his artistry involving these tiles, to those who see Gampel as Uconn's home for basketball they are just tiles. If someone can (should be able to) reverse engineer these tiles just do it!! My son graduated from HS the other day and I set foot in Symphony Hall in Springfield MA and the ceilings were incredibly artistic and I was in awe of the woodwork involved in the historic building. I cannot say looking up at the ceiling at Gampel I have ever felt that way but what do I know about kilns and stuff!!:rolleyes:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Perhaps my Sistine Chapel analogy oversimplified it. It's the equivalent of putting the Sistine Chapel inside the Pantheon, and putting that inside the Great Pyramids. Much like the Pyramids and the Pantheon, we do not even know how the Gampel structure was made, and it surpasses even our advanced understanding of so-called "modern" technology. Would one blow up the Pantheon or the Great Pyramids simply because some pieces are chipped and we cannot rebuild them? I don't think so. Now think about a great, original work of art inside, that is itself another great mystery altogether.

This is not simply an issue of cost, but of honoring one of the greatest works of all time, giving it its due place in history and allowing future generations to marvel at it for time immemorial.

No disrepect to the Departed, nor to 8893, but I'm more inclined to agree with mauconnfan. The Sistine Chapel ceiling is an original fresco painted by arguably the greatest artist of his time in the 16th century. I simply do not get the same tingle up my spine when I walk into Gampel as I did (on two separate occassions a decade apart) the Sistine Chapel (which has been reconditioned and restored, BTW) or the Pantheon (my favority structure in Rome and has also been modified as recently as the 19th century). Gampel is just 23 years old, there is simply no comparison.

Gampel looks to me like a typical geodesic dome. If there is any discernable artwork or engineering feat, it is not visible from the concourse to the lay person.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gampel looks to me like a typical geodesic dome. If there is any discernable artwork or engineering feat, it is not visible from the concourse to the lay person.
Therein lies the beauty. Gampel does not simply reveal its beauty and secrets to mere lay persons. You must simultaneously look both within yourself and beyond the surface of the physical structure to "see" it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Quite simply, it is not visible to the near side of the court during games, only the far side. It would look pretty awkward if fans on the other side had to read"UConn Huskies" upside down, when they are the only ones that it benefits. They alread have to deal with the upside down logo.
Why do I hear this post in Calhoun's voice?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Therein lies the beauty. Gampel does not simply reveal its beauty and secrets to mere lay persons. You must simultaneously look both within yourself and beyond the surface of the physical structure to "see" it.

Good grief...

I studied for four years at UConn. I've read my fair share of novels, biographies, and non-fictional accounts of history and science. I've been to 39 of 50 states and D.C., as well as 6 foreign countries. My wife would tell you that I have more than enough trivial knowledge floating in my head to make a decent run at Ken Jennings' Jeopardy record. I don't think she is being literal, but I still consider myself to be somewhat astute.

The lay person is not at Gampel for the beauty of the roof (though they, like I, surely noticed the triangles that make up the dome). They are their for the beauty of the full court press, the fast break, the alley-oop, and the game winning 3 pointer.

I'm not trying to disparage the man, or alter your opinion of him or the roof. I am saying that not everyone shares your view. I am also suggesting that the Administration exhaust all routes in developing that solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom