FINAL Gampel Court | Page 5 | The Boneyard

FINAL Gampel Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good grief...

I studied for four years at UConn. I've read my fair share of novels, biographies, and non-fictional accounts of history and science. I've been to 39 of 50 states and D.C., as well as 6 foreign countries. My wife would tell you that I have more than enough trivial knowledge floating in my head to make a decent run at Ken Jennings' Jeopardy record. I don't think she is being literal, but I still consider myself to be somewhat astute.

The lay person is not at Gampel for the beauty of the roof (though they, like I, surely noticed the triangles that make up the dome). They are their for the beauty of the full court press, the fast break, the alley-oop, and the game winning 3 pointer.

I'm not trying to disparage the man, or alter your opinion of him or the roof. I am saying that not everyone shares your view. I am also suggesting that the Administration exhaust all routes in developing that solution.

With all that studying and all that travel you would think that you would have a better world-view, and a better appreciation for the art and true genius of a pioneer like Enzo Patoni. The fact that he graced UConn with his masterpiece at Gampel Pavillion...that we are able to witness great basketball while in the presence of one of the best artworks of our time is NOT something you should take lightly.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. And what's really weird is that they didn't even follow their own design standards on this thing. I don't love two tone courts but that's the current rage, so of course Warde wouldn't ever dare think of doing something that isn't generic. Rockstar as follower is going to use what everyone else uses. They make a big deal about certain design guidelines then ignore them on the basketball court. And of course Donald seems to have developed this silly smirk that looks worse the larger the image gets. But we're probably the only University in the country that has a clipart logo at mid-court. Warde will probably brag about that at the AAC meetings! Would have been better to just go with a circle at mid-court than this piece of crap.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You're completely off the wall if you think UConn should have opted for something less.

The Patoni tile cannot be easily replaced and it surely cannot be duplicated, but there are only a bare handful of universities in the world that can claim that Il Papa designed and built tiles on their campus.

There are designers and historians that visit UConn for the sole purpose of seeing the tiles that you consider to be a "collassal(sic) blunder". But, hey, I'm sure we can slap some Chinese tiles up there because some nitwits on the Boneyard like things tidy.

Yeah, yeah....whatever. When I Google Enzo Patoni I come up with nothing....except posts here. You can't even find any reference to his tiles in information from the University about Gampel.

So somebody please post a link about this guy so that I can feel elightened about the peeling tiles on the ceiling.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With all that studying and all that travel you would think that you would have a better world-view, and a better appreciation for the art and true genius of a pioneer like Enzo Patoni. The fact that he graced UConn with his masterpiece at Gampel Pavillion...that we are able to witness great basketball while in the presence of one of the best artworks of our time is NOT something you should take lightly.

It is obvious that some hold Mr. Patoni in high esteem and I have no issue with that. I came with no ill intent to anyones' sensibilities...Just keep two things in mind, should you reply: 1) genius and artistry are in the eye of the beholder; and 2) My reverse engineering comment yesterday has zero to do with art and everything to do with fixing the roof at Gampel. One thing is certain to me...If a satisfactory solution cannot be found, then all the tiles may very well come down in one manner or another, and be replaced with material more readily available and with craftsmanship that can be independently duplicated.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Always have a solution for everything, Danny.:rolleyes:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, yeah....whatever. When I Google Enzo Patoni I come up with nothing....except posts here. You can't even find any reference to his tiles in information from the University about Gampel.

So somebody please post a link about this guy so that I can feel elightened about the peeling tiles on the ceiling.
Instead of looking for Patoni in Google, you should be looking for Google in Patoni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom