ESPN's Top 25 For Next Year | Page 8 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Top 25 For Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diamond Deshields, like her or not, is very much the real deal. That Cooper kid looks fabulous. With all the other talent they have, the key for the Vols is whether or not 6'6" Mercedes Russell is healthy and playing to her potential...if that happens, look out...Tennessee will be back. I guess I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping this is the case. With Pat's departure and her early dementia issues, hating UT just ain't as much fun as it used to be, at least for me. What WCBB desperately needs is more bitterly intense rivalries and fuller arenas. Nothing would be a bigger step in that direction as the reemergence of the Vols as a perennial Final Four contender. This is Holly's big opportunity to prove herself. I hope she does, and that I can start to "hate" her and her team the same way I "hate" Muffett and hers...with a bit of fear and lots of respect. Same for Dawn. Geno is not immortal, and the absolute UConn hegemony cannot,alas, last forever...but I ardently wish for UConn to be one of several always elite programs that fight it out annually for top recruiting talent and National Championships. It's inevitable, I think, that Tenn will be one of those...that's fine with me....bring 'em on!

What DeShields has shown so far is that if you give her 16 shots a game she will score a lot of points. Her 28% 3 point shooting won't be scaring many teams for sure. As far as Tenn reemerging "as a perennial Final Four contender", I'll only say that I have heard the same story too many times. They have been a preseason FF pick by the AP for 4 of the last 5 years . Every year their supporters have had a different tale. Two years ago Russell was going to put them there as a freshman. This year it's DeShields, Russell, and to a lesser degree Cooper. While they are certainly talented, they are also inexperienced, having played a total of zero minutes together in a game that means anything. Both DeShields and Russell are returning after surgery. And DeShields now has issues with an ankle and shin splints after having wrist issues as a freshman.

The other issue with Tenn is that they lost three seniors who represented about 40% of their offensive production and 40% of their minutes. Russell may eventually prove to be an upgrade to Harrison and DeShields/Cooper may be an improvement over Burdick/Massengale, but as far as experience is concerned there is a huge hole to filled by players with no experience together. IMO last year's Tenn squad was the best defensive team they have had in many years. They used a press and a half court trap like Rutgers at their best. That happened, IMO, because they had 3 players who were together for their 4th year and a fourth player (Graves) who was playing with them for her third year. I can see Tenn being a much better offensive team this coming season but I also think their defense will give up more points as well. Tenn will be a formidable team in 16/17. But I don't see them getting past the regionals this year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What DeShields has shown so far is that if you give her 16 shots a game she will score a lot of points. Her 28% 3 point shooting won't be scaring many teams for sure. As far as Tenn reemerging "as a perennial Final Four contender", I'll only say that I have heard the same story too many times. They have been a preseason FF pick by the AP for 4 of the last 5 years . Every year their supporters have had a different tale. Two years ago Russell was going to put them there as a freshman. This year it's DeShields, Russell, and to a lesser degree Cooper. While they are certainly talented, they are also inexperienced, having played a total of zero minutes together in a game that means anything. Both DeShields and Russell are returning after surgery. And DeShields now has issues with an ankle and shin splints after having wrist issues as a freshman.

The other issue with Tenn is that they lost three seniors who represented about 40% of their offensive production and 40% of their minutes. Russell may eventually prove to be an upgrade to Harrison and DeShields/Cooper may be an improvement over Burdick/Massengale, but as far as experience is concerned there is a huge hole to filled by players with no experience together. IMO last year's Tenn squad was the best defensive team they have had in many years. They used a press and a half court trap like Rutgers at their best. That happened, IMO, because they had 3 players who were together for their 4th year and a fourth player (Graves) who was playing with them for her third year. I can see Tenn being a much better offensive team this coming season but I also think their defense will give up more points as well. Tenn will be a formidable team in 16/17. But I don't see them getting past the regionals this year.
party-pooper.jpg

Reaction Score
Yet she still won National FRESHMAN of the year. All while injured. After a year off to recuperate and mature, I think it's pretty safe to say her game won't be the same as it was her FRESHMAN year.

Reaction Score
Yet she still won National FRESHMAN of the year. All while injured. After a year off to recuperate and mature, I think it's pretty safe to say her game won't be the same as it was her FRESHMAN year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is a fairly safe bet that Tenn will not win the SEC and I suspect the injury bug will continue, with the prime targets being a big with bad feet and a chucker who has played hurt for some years according to her.

Reaction Score

DeShields could well have an AA season at Tenn but more and more she's looking injury-prone. She is wearing a boot for a bad ankle and suffering from shin splints after being pronounced 100% ready to go by her coaches. She's less healthy now than before sitting out a year.

And what makes you think she is any more mature now than she was 15 months ago?

Bottom line: Tenn fans expect 3 underclassmen who have zero experience playing together to lead them to the FF while UConn fans has 3 uber-talented freshman players coming in that are not being counted on at all to provide leadership on the court because they have 4 starters returning, led by 2 AA seniors and a virtual AA red-shirt junior. Or look at a team like Baylor, whose 5 leading scorers last consisted of a freshman and 4 sophomores. Or S Carolina, where the 2 lost starters played less and scored less than their subs.

Tenn is likely going to get another one seed. They will easily out-talent all but 2 opponents this year, the Gamecocks & the Irish. But will they have the team to get to the FF? Maybe but not as likely as their fan base thinks. It's fine to be hopeful but realistically Tenn needs a lot to go right for them.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Actually this Tennessee team has played three games.

Reaction Score
Actually this Tennessee team has played three games.

They had 3 scrimmages against teams that aren't even as good as their exhibition opponents in November. And DeShields didn't even play.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
They had 3 scrimmages against teams that aren't even as good as their exhibition opponents in November. And DeShields didn't even play.
yes but they do have a little experience of playing. I think that will help the team.

Reaction Score
yes but they do have a little experience of playing. I think that will help the team.

What will help are the extra summer practices the NCAA allows for team's making overseas trips.

Reaction Score
DeShields could well have an AA season at Tenn but more and more she's looking injury-prone. She is wearing a boot for a bad ankle and suffering from shin splints after being pronounced 100% ready to go by her coaches. She's less healthy now than before sitting out a year.
Are you 100% she's less healthy than she was before??? I would love to know where you got that information from.

And what makes you think she is any more mature now than she was 15 months ago

Common sense maybe. Diamond is not only talented but a very smart basketball player, wouldn't you expect any player from a UCONN team to have matured after sitting out 15 months????! :rolleyes:

Bottom line: Tenn fans expect 3 underclassmen who have zero experience playing together to lead them to the FF while UConn fans has 3 uber-talented freshman players coming in that are not being counted on at all to provide leadership on the court because they have 4 starters returning, led by 2 AA seniors and a virtual AA red-shirt junior. Or look at a team like Baylor, whose 5 leading scorers last consisted of a freshman and 4 sophomores. Or S Carolina, where the 2 lost starters played less and scored less than their subs.

I don't see your point. Tea and Diamond has played together countless times before. Not to mention Diamond and Mercedes have played together for idk how many years playing for USA basketball. Not all LadyVol fans are counting on just these 3 to lead us to a FF, yes they will be instrumental in getting us there but we all know it takes a team effort. I personally think Jasmine Jones will be a much improved player for us, as well as Jamie Nared, as well as Bashaara, as well as Reynold, as well as Carter.....yes we have lofty expectations for Russell, Diamond, and Tea....who wouldnt?! #1 and #2 recruit for the 2013 class and a talented PG in Cooper.....I'm just ready for the season to start already.

Tenn is likely going to get another one seed. They will easily out-talent all but 2 opponents this year, the Gamecocks & the Irish. But will they have the team to get to the FF? Maybe but not as likely as their fan base thinks. It's fine to be hopeful but realistically Tenn needs a lot to go right for them.

Realistically all we need is a 100% healthy season and we will be in the FF!

Reaction Score
A) wouldn't you expect any player from a UCONN team to have matured after sitting out 15 months????!

B) Tea and Diamond has played together countless times before. Not to mention Diamond and Mercedes have played together for idk how many years playing for USA basketball.

C) I personally think Jasmine Jones will be a much improved player for us

D) Realistically all we need is a 100% healthy season and we will be in the FF!

A) No, maturity doesn't simply come with aging. I'm a perfect example of that. :confused:

B) The 3 UConn freshmen have also played a lot together in USA ball, but USA teams are largely run like all-star teams, with a lot of individual play and little team play. The UConn freshmen will need to work very very hard to learn how to play in the CT system. I remember reading last year how Dunbar was going to be a force from behind the arc. Prior to that Russell was going to lead the LV's to the FF as a freshman HSPOY. Before them it was Massengale who was going to be the freshman point guard leader and before her it was Simmons who was going to shoot the LV's into the FF as a freshman. No offense but when are LV fans going to stop with the irrational exuberance over new players?

C) Jasmine is a very good defensive player, a great athlete and plays with great energy but has hands of stone with the ball and hasn't shown any ability to put the ball into the hoop. She's a smaller version of Glory Johnson. If Tenn could put Nia Moore's offensive skills in Jones' body they'd have an AA candidate.

D) Is it realistic to expect a season without injuries? It's OK to hope for it but for a team to make the FF they need to be ready to overcome inevitable injuries.

And while I expect that many of Tenn's bench players from last year will improve, players on other teams who started last year and were better than those Tenn players will also improve.

Reaction Score
Realistically all we need is a 100% healthy season and we will be in the FF!

Even if Tennessee is 100% healthy next year there isn't any guarantee that they will make the final four. Tennessee would still have to beat out UCONN, USC, Baylor, ND, and possibly some other dark horse team. The games still need to be played so nothing is guaranteed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What will help are the extra summer practices the NCAA allows for team's making overseas trips.
That usually helps teams quite a bit. One reason the NCAA only allows them once every 4 years.

Reaction Score
A) No, maturity doesn't simply come with aging. I'm a perfect example of that. :confused:

B) The 3 UConn freshmen have also played a lot together in USA ball, but USA teams are largely run like all-star teams, with a lot of individual play and little team play. The UConn freshmen will need to work very very hard to learn how to play in the CT system. I remember reading last year how Dunbar was going to be a force from behind the arc. Prior to that Russell was going to lead the LV's to the FF as a freshman HSPOY. Before them it was Massengale who was going to be the freshman point guard leader and before her it was Simmons who was going to shoot the LV's into the FF as a freshman. No offense but when are LV fans going to stop with the irrational exuberance over new players?

C) Jasmine is a very good defensive player, a great athlete and plays with great energy but has hands of stone with the ball and hasn't shown any ability to put the ball into the hoop. She's a smaller version of Glory Johnson. If Tenn could put Nia Moore's offensive skills in Jones' body they'd have an AA candidate.

D) Is it realistic to expect a season without injuries? It's OK to hope for it but for a team to make the FF they need to be ready to overcome inevitable injuries.

And while I expect that many of Tenn's bench players from last year will improve, players on other teams who started last year and were better than those Tenn players will also improve.
A. Oh ok, well I expect Diamond to have matured, it's perfectly okay if you disagree due to your personal experience....understandable

B. No offense taken because I can't speak for every LadyVol fan. Some fans get excited to see new additions to their team, and I don't see why it's problematic that Tenn fans are. I for one never thought the aforementioned players to lead us to a FF coming in as Freshman. Mercedes was a post player, who would need time to develop, Ariel helped us in the PG position but I expected the "BabyVol" class to lead us to a FF, not Ariel, and Simmons was never an option in my mind to lead us to a FF.

C. I agree with your assessment of Jones if this was her sophomore or freshman year. During her sophomore year she almost helped UT come back against Maryland in the 2nd half by herself. Before she got injured and had to redshirt her junior year she was playing superb, putting the ball in the basket and limiting her turnovers. No one got to see the improved Jasmine Jones because she got injured so early in the season, so I get the comparison of "hands of stone" and her offensive inability, however I don't think that will be the case this year.

D. Ummm yes it is realistic , it's been done before by SEVERAL teams in the NCAA, so why can't Tenn have a season without injuries. We've had some bad luck over the years with injuries to key players at inopportune times but it creates good energy to think and hope for a healthy season....in my eyes.

Also no where did I say no one else will improve, I expect everyone to come back hungry after every offseason.

Reaction Score
Even if Tennessee is 100% healthy next year there isn't any guarantee that they will make the final four. Tennessee would still have to beat out UCONN, USC, Baylor, ND, and possibly some other dark horse team. The games still need to be played so nothing is guaranteed.
You're right.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Since Russell wasn't fully healthy her freshman year. I will give her a pass. I think she is already better than her freshman year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since Russell wasn't fully healthy her freshman year. I will give her a pass. I think she is already better than her freshman year.
Is Holly a better coach?

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
For someone who isn't a good coach, Holly's records are:

2013: 27-8, SEC RS Championship, Elite 8
2014: 29-6, SEC Tourney Championship, Sweet 16
2015: 30-6, SEC Co-RS Championship, Elite 8
Total: 86-20

She has improved each season in number of wins, while decreasing her loss total and dealing with season ending injuries to players expected to contribute.

To my knowledge, no one in the country has won more than Holly in those three years, other than Geno (113), Muffett (108), Kim (99), Tara (92), Jeff (89), Brenda (88) and Dawn (88).

Other than Geno, Muffett, & Kim, the others have been fairly even over the three year period.

Is Holly one of the best coaches in the game? I don't know, because I haven't seen what she can do with a full roster. Does she have some WTF loses? Absolutely! However, if you put her records up without listing her name, most people would agree that she has had a great three year stretch that a lot of coaches would love to have.

Reaction Score
For someone who isn't a good coach, Holly's records are:

2013: 27-8, SEC RS Championship, Elite 8
2014: 29-6, SEC Tourney Championship, Sweet 16
2015: 30-6, SEC Co-RS Championship, Elite 8
Total: 86-20

She has improved each season in number of wins, while decreasing her loss total and dealing with season ending injuries to players expected to contribute.

To my knowledge, no one in the country has won more than Holly in those three years, other than Geno (113), Muffett (108), Kim (99), Tara (92), Jeff (89), Brenda (88) and Dawn (88).

Other than Geno, Muffett, & Kim, the others have been fairly even over the three year period.

Is Holly one of the best coaches in the game? I don't know, because I haven't seen what she can do with a full roster. Does she have some WTF loses? Absolutely! However, if you put her records up without listing her name, most people would agree that she has had a great three year stretch that a lot of coaches would love to have.
JPM has great record as well, but coach K has to be on my screen if I want to see Duke name associated with Final four.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
JPM has great record as well, but coach K has to be on my screen if I want to see Duke name associated with Final four.

JPM has 86 wins over those three years, so she was close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom