ESPN's Top 25 For Next Year | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Top 25 For Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't about Duke tbh. I find it difficult to imagine them being any better than they were last year. Maybe fewer losses (25-9 or something like that), but still don't see them making it past the s16. Let's look at their roster by class: SR (Riggs), JR, JR, SO, SO, SO, RSO, FR, FR, FR, FR, FR. They have a lot of talent, but little experience (especially in key roles) and mediocre coaching (IMHO). Now I know Salvadores has international experience (see Chris Dailey on Kia Nurse "she's not really a freshman"), but she is going to be asked to do a whole lot more than Nurse was asked to do last year. I think it will be difficult to avoid an upset in the tournament and even more difficult to beat a #1 or #2 seed with more upperclassmen and more experience.
You replace Kalia Johnson with Alexis Jones and we are in the elite eight. I'm not saying next year Duke will be better but I'm almost certain their wont be as much halfcourt sets. Expect Duke to return to an uptempo team. Also, Nurse is VERY TALENTED but Salvadores is an another league. Her toughest competition will be COLLEGE itself. I think when she steps on the court most of the game will come natural. This is a player whose the youngest player on her pro team playing with and against WNBA players every day. Think of it like this... you're a kid playing with the grown man at the park. Before you start those grown man have already assessed what type of player they have on their team. Salvadores is that kid at the park that is not just playing but also contributing at a high level. Her age is probably her greatest factor to this point. Is it safe to say that since she is hooping so well at a young age that her surrounding players (professional women) are increasing her knowledge of the game daily? I'm not saying Salvadores will save Duke, but I will say no matter how bad the coaching is Salvadores is going to do what she does well. Our coaching is subpar, but I like JPM a lot more when we can run the break rather than having to set every offensive set.

Reaction Score
My opinion...
1.) Using "waiting tables" as part of a jab is as lame as it gets. Pretentious to the max (and no, I don't wait tables for a living).
2.) UConn is the only for sure thing about this list. ND, SC, Tennessee, FSU, Louisville, Baylor and possibly Oregon State being the main challengers. Duke, UNC, ASU, Ohio State, Maryland and Texas will all be in consideration as well at some point.
3.) Russell and Deshields will be a bigger and better addition to a top team than anyone else. That is just my prediction. If I have to eat crow, I will. There are some fantastic players coming in and I am excited to see KLS and Anigwe for Cal the most outside of Cooper and Jackson for Tennessee. It seems as if Anigwe, KLS and Cooper are all pretty close friends based on social media so it would be fun to see those three lead the race for NFOY honors.

I think you also need to add Durr and Collier to the group competing for NFOY. At this point I'm not sure who is the best UCONN recruit, KLS or Collier!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I still dont see all the love for Louisville.

Lose a lot of players, but bring in a top recruiting class. Core of the team will be sophomores. And Walz can really "coach them up," as the expression goes.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Our coaching is subpar, but I like JPM a lot more when we can run the break rather than having to set every offensive set.

And how often does that happen? She had two years of Alexis Jones and Chelsea Gray together, yet against top opponents, the offense slowed down and the halfcourt set was the norm.

Reaction Score
And how often does that happen? She had two years of Alexis Jones and Chelsea Gray together, yet against top opponents, the offense slowed down and the halfcourt set was the norm.
The one year she had Alexis Jones and Chelsea Gray both fully at 100% Duke was a fast-paced team. Check the games Lex freshman year. Set aside the usual Uconn beating :confused: all our games against top 8 teams we scored 71+, and against rival UNC we averaged 80ppg per 3 games. Even the elite8 loss to Notre Dame the offense scored over 75... Chelsea Gray didnt play that game.

Reaction Score
You replace Kalia Johnson with Alexis Jones and we are in the elite eight. I'm not saying next year Duke will be better but I'm almost certain their wont be as much halfcourt sets. Expect Duke to return to an uptempo team. Also, Nurse is VERY TALENTED but Salvadores is an another league. Her toughest competition will be COLLEGE itself. I think when she steps on the court most of the game will come natural. This is a player whose the youngest player on her pro team playing with and against WNBA players every day. Think of it like this... you're a kid playing with the grown man at the park. Before you start those grown man have already assessed what type of player they have on their team. Salvadores is that kid at the park that is not just playing but also contributing at a high level. Her age is probably her greatest factor to this point. Is it safe to say that since she is hooping so well at a young age that her surrounding players (professional women) are increasing her knowledge of the game daily? I'm not saying Salvadores will save Duke, but I will say no matter how bad the coaching is Salvadores is going to do what she does well. Our coaching is subpar, but I like JPM a lot more when we can run the break rather than having to set every offensive set.

Perhaps. Based on what I have watched of Salvadores in international competition she is certainly a better offensive player than Nurse (I don't know about in "another league"), but, again, she'll be asked to do a lot (if JPM is smart). If she turns out to be the runaway FOY, then yeah, Duke could make the E8 this year, or maybe even the F4. But whether that happens or not....

Reaction Score
Perhaps. Based on what I have watched of Salvadores in international competition she is certainly a better offensive player than Nurse (I don't know about in "another league"), but, again, she'll be asked to do a lot (if JPM is smart). If she turns out to be the runaway FOY, then yeah, Duke could make the E8 this year, or maybe even the F4. But whether that happens or not....
Promise I meant in another league meaning what each other does for their team. They have two completely different games.

Reaction Score
1. Connecticut
2. Tennessee
3. South Carolina
4. Baylor
5. Florida State
6. Notre Dame
7. Texas
8. Louisville
9. North Carolina
10. Ohio State

Connecticut is in position to win an 11th title honestly.

I struggled with placing SC at #2 because frankly we are not the #2 team unless our guard play improves a bit and we are more consistent from the outside. Our starters next year will be Mitchell, Wilson, Coates, ????, and ???? Who do I replace those question marks with? Dozier? She needs to become a scoring threat. Sessions? She needs to become a scoring threat. Cuevas? Possible, but she has to learn the game more and learn when to attack. Roy? Possible, but Dawn loves bringing her off the bench and her defense could use work. I will say this though, I did like what I saw from Wilson and Coates in the last few games of the NCAA tournament. This summer is huge because Coates will hopefully develop the ability to go for the kill EVERY game and Wilson will hopefully continue to become the player she showed she could be in the Notre Dame game, a nightmare matchup. I'm praying Cuevas matures a little and steals the starting spot from Sessions. If SC gets better at the guard positions then they're that much better than the #3 team..

Tennessee has A LOT of talent but like the article said, it all depends on that talent learning to play together. If they do learn (and I think they will), they're easily a final four team. SC fans know Deshields very well and if she's anything like she was her freshmen year then SC will have it's work cut out for them in the SEC this year. I really think it's 2a and 2b with SC and Tennessee next year.

Just looking at the roster, Baylor should reek havoc next year. That recruiting class is unfair. We wanted Mompremier at SC.

Florida State is definitely a top 5 team. They're big, fast and they can shoot. It wasn't SC's best game, but I'm still not quite sure how we beat this team in the Elite Eight. FSU was all over the place and dominated us in that game.
Mr. Gamecock - very honest overview of your own team. I agree with your list and entire post. I am wary of Tennessee's talent and Baylor's too. I'm not that fearful about the rest of the top 10--too many question marks. (AS someone else mentioned, of course, Tenn. and Baylor have to come together as a team to make the FF.) UConn will be playing 4 of your top 6 during the season so we will find out pretty quick. I like where UConn sits as of today.

Reaction Score
Baylor will be better than Maryland. 2Husky, can't agree more. Stewart and Tuck vs. Wilson and Coates? Really. He's absolutely clueless. What was he watching to come to that conclusion? Must have been out in Colorado before he wrote that column.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Baylor will be better than Maryland. 2Husky, can't agree more. Stewart and Tuck vs. Wilson and Coates? Really. He's absolutely clueless. What was he watching to come to that conclusion? Must have been out in Colorado before he wrote that column.
Reduced oxygen, maybe? :D

HGN

Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting watching that SEC race with USC , Tenn. , LSU , and Miss. State battle for the regular season and Tournament title. How those races turn out will determine some seeding for the NCAA Tournament. And just how far each maybe able to go.

Reaction Score
The loss of Lloyd is a big loss for ND. However I do think they will still be one of the better teams. When Wiggins left folks thought they would fall. Turner may be ready to step up next year. Tennessee gets some good additions in DeShields and Russell. Holly said in a interview that Russell is 100% healthy.
ooooooo you said the DeShield word!!! To top it off you mentioned Turner "may step up" OOOO are you going to catch it!!! 00000

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's going to be interesting watching that SEC race with USC , Tenn. , LSU , and Miss. State battle for the regular season and Tournament title. How those races turn out will determine some seeding for the NCAA Tournament. And just how far each maybe able to go.

LSU ?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mid August updated predictions.

1) UCONN
2) South Carolina
3) Notre Dame
4) Baylor
5) Duke
6) Florida State
7) Maryland
8) TENN
9) Ohio State
10) Texas

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Mid August updated predictions.

1) UCONN
2) South Carolina
3) Notre Dame
4) Baylor
5) Duke
6) Florida State
7) Maryland
8) TENN
9) Ohio State
10) Texas
sorry but I have problems thinking Duke will finish ahead of TN given Coach JPM's ability to get underperformance out of very talented players...but then again I saw that Diamond is injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom