ESPN's Outside the Lines: Is Being Too Good Bad for the Game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Outside the Lines: Is Being Too Good Bad for the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some years ago Brenda stated words rather pointedly stating essentially: anyone can win with those players he gets. She simply has a great deal of envy and no class - none at all.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm glad this attention has been brought to women's college basketball. Let's get get all the the hate, finger pointing and animosity out in the open. Allow me to reiterate some observations and takes that have already been shared by others:

1. When "whiners" get on a roll, they can't stop. Whaaa, whaa, whaa. Some folks can't see the forest for the trees. Is the glass half empty, or half full? Perspective, that's what we're talking about here.
Its easier to blame UConn for all of the other Division 1 WCBB team's failure to raise their program up to UConn's level, than to blame the other programs collectively/individually. Many think its easy to do what UConn has done recently. Nine straight trips to the final four for UConn. Its not easy. Just ask Notre Dame, South Carolina or Maryland (last year's final four teams). NONE of them were able to make it back THIS year, and UConn did not have anything to do with their derailment.

2. Why is UConn expected to apologize for their success? Why has UConn been designated to be the savior of WCBB? Geno said "If you're tired of us winning, beat us". That's simple enough.
I have never seen another sports program/franchise at any level, in any sport, be accused of being "too good" for their sport, and thus be accused a detriment to it. That's ludicrous.

3. Is it getting the best players every year (which is not the case, but that's what UConn is accused of), or is it coaching that makes UConn so good year in, and year out?
NOTE: UConn has not had the #1 recruiting class since 2012. Last year, UCLA had the #1 recruiting class. So what happened to them? If having the best talent is the benchmark for winning championships, why didn't they win it all last year? Maryland has the #1 class for 2016. Will they be the #1 ranked team to begin the season this fall? Will they be picked to win the NC next year?

4. Another poster mentioned a very poignant point today. He said some of these programs need to fire some of these lazy, ineffective coaches that are not improving their programs. They're not good recruiters, nor are good teachers. In addition, many of the colleges and universities need to upgrade their facilities, and allocate more revenue to their women's basketball programs. You can't fund a Pinto, and expect to out run a Corvette. Yes Geno does get good players, but not always. UConn has ONE player in the 2016 ESPN HoopGurlz top 100 recruiting rankings coming in next year.

What people outside of the UConn program don't realize is, that he is a master teacher of the nuances of the game. He teaches them why the game must be played a certain way to become dominate, and successful on a regular basis. He teaches the "how" AND the "why". Geno recruits players that will fit into his program, and will flourish in its operation. Girls that are willing to sacrifice their personal stats and potential individual accolades for the betterment of the team. Girls that will sell out 100% to be part of that program. Girls that want to be molded and shaped into the best possible player they can be.

5. Instead of pointing the finger at UConn, and trying to blame them for their dominance, why not resolve to improve YOUR program to challenge them? UConn set the bar, raise to their level, instead of expecting them to come down to yours. Moriah Jefferson said it best: "its a race, and I'm not slowing down". That sounds just like Mo doesn't it?

6. Its got to be the coaching and the uncompromising standards of the program. The only thing that has been a constant at UConn since 1995 (UConn's first National championship), is Geno and Chris Daley. The players come and go, yet UConn continues to win. Coaches are a vain lot. They hate to admit being out coached. Its bad for their ego, and their reputation. What other explanation is there? NO ONE coaches or runs their practices like Geno. NO ONE!!! He has developed a formula that is successful, and he's stuck with it. His players know that, and buy in to it.

7. It starts every year on the first day of official practice. The goal is set. The goal is to win a national championship. Every team has the same goal you say. The difference is at UConn, they EXPECT to win that year's championship, then go about doing it everyday during the season until its done. At other programs, they hope to win a championship. They hope to be good enough. They hope they can compete. They hope to make the tournament. They hope to get a good seed, and not be in UConn's bracket.

8. I'd like to hear just 1 coach of a major women's basketball program step up and publicly state that he/she does not blame UConn for their success. That they (WCBB as a whole) have not lived up to (or attained) the standards that UConn has set, and that starting RIGHT NOW, they are going to begin to do everything they can to close the gap. Be it recruit better players and become better teachers, or perhaps conduct their practices differently, maybe similar to Geno's. Personally accept the responsibility and the challenge to raise the level of their team's play and execution, starting today.
Not whine and complain like Brenda Frese, suggesting that she would like Geno to dial it back some. After all, its not her fault, its his. :mad:

I remind you of the definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Isn't that what these coaches are doing? :eek:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This has been Frese's shtick for a long, long time. UConn/Geno sticks in her craw and it shows a little too much. She's had great talent, but she can't get over the hump. Hey Brenda, you're driving the bus. Drive it harder and maybe your team won't slow down in the second half.

Well, she did get over the hump once.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it's so funny when coaches bitch about this. So if Frese was on the cusp of winning her 11th national championship, she'd think it was unfair too? Every coach in WCBB would kill to be in Geno's shoes, and they know it.

I can guarantee that you will never hear Mulkey whine about anyone being too good for her to beat. She would not embarrass herself by giving that impression.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have never seen another sports program/franchise at any level, in any sport, be accused of being "too good" for their sport, and thus be accused a detriment to it. That's ludicrous. :eek:

Oh, but you never got to see my Pee Wee league baseball team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the best response and someone mentioned this already is to count the AA recruits on the three other FF teams and compare them to all the teams they beat, and all the teams that didn't make it to a FF in a region other than Bridgeport. Should have been easy for a bunch of these schools to make the FF if recruiting was the answer.
OSU - zero AAs I believe
Washington - Plum I think is the lone one
Syracuse - Sykes and Butler

I mean TN has more than the three teams combined.

Carnac

Reaction Score
While we are blasting Brenda, she really needs to find a better hairdresser who knows how to color hair. Man her hair is brassy.

C'mon ET, stay true to YOUR mantra........."Stay classy". :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
ET, you're on a roll today aren't you.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
8. I'd like to hear just 1 coach of a major women's basketball program step up and publicly state that he/she does not blame UConn for their success. That they (WCBB as a whole) have not lived up to (or attained) the standards that UConn has set, and that starting RIGHT NOW, they are going to begin to do everything they can to close the gap. Be it recruit better players and become better teachers, or perhaps conduct their practices differently, maybe similar to Geno's. Personally accept the responsibility and the challenge to raise the level of their team's play and execution, starting today.
Not whine and complain like Brenda Frese, suggesting that she would like Geno to dial it back some. After all, its not her fault, its his. :mad:

I remind you of the definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Isn't that what these coaches are doing? :eek:
Carnac - that was a GREAT post. I would have liked it 100 times if I could have. I agree with everything you said so I won't bother adding my $.02 as it wouldn't be new, and I couldn't have said it any better than you did.

BUT I do want to add to your very last statement - Item 8. It will be EASY for other coaches to say that now. UCONN is likely not the favorite to win the NC next year. I believe they make the FF and anything there is possible, but if we lose the big 3 of Stewie, Mo and Tuck (Stewie and Mo are for sure), there will be at least 2-3 teams with more talented experienced players than UCONN. Do I expect a drop off like we saw after Dee graduated (8 losses *gasp*)? Absolutely not. We still have oodles of talent.

But my point is that if we experience a drop off, and I think 99% of reasonable people think we will, it's likely that coaches who might have made that pledge in the past could easily do it now. Why do you think Kim decided she wanted to schedule UCONN NEXT year? I give any top team who played UCONN in the past 2 years credit for playing us then. Next year we WILL have some losses. Anyway, that is all...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Some people think recruiting high school AAs means more than producing collegiate AAs. I'd love to see some numbers on that question.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Talk about a tempest in a teapot. Brenda has had chances to measure up; she didn't get her team to earn a win against UConn.

Reaction Score
I get so annoyed when I hear coaches whine about another team having the so called "top" players. As a competitor, I would want to play for coach like Auriemma because I know that he will have his teams competiting at a high level. Brenda Frese, and coaches like her, are the whiners that I would hate to play for. They seem like the bigger the game, the more they shy away from the challenge.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah, she's been singing this tune for a few years now. She needs to have a Snickers.

LOL!!!! That's a good one. :D I wish I had thought of that one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I get so annoyed when I hear coaches whine about another team having the so called "top" players. As a competitor, I would want to play for coach like Auriemma because I know that he will have his teams competiting at a high level. Brenda Frese, and coaches like her, are the whiners that I would hate to play for. They seem like the bigger the game, the more they shy away from the challenge.

Did she bust Obama's bracket again this year? :cool:

Reaction Score
The majority of Brenda Freese's 2006 Championship team was freshman and sophomores. She NEVER made it back to the Final 4 with them. How is that even possible?

Guess it isn't that easy after all eh Brenda?

Reaction Score
I think the best response and someone mentioned this already is to count the AA recruits on the three other FF teams and compare them to all the teams they beat, and all the teams that didn't make it to a FF in a region other than Bridgeport. Should have been easy for a bunch of these schools to make the FF if recruiting was the answer.
OSU - zero AAs I believe
Washington - Plum I think is the lone one
Syracuse - Sykes and Butler

I mean TN has more than the three teams combined.
IMO, a lot of these so-called HSAA are overrated. Some of TN hyped recruits can't shoot FTs. Run into each other on pick and rolls. Reach and swat as drivers go by them. A lot of these coaches, several in the SEC, are recruiting great looking athletes but not basketball PLAYERS. But on paper it looks great for those rabid fan bases. It hypes the product but doesn't win meaningful out of conference games and NC's. I give the Oregon St. and Texas coaches credit. They're smart and they're turning it around and getting kids with guts and attitude and they're going to be very dangerous shortly. As an aside, whoever gets this Ionescue kid is finding gold.

Reaction Score

Includes a less-than-flattering contribution from Brenda Frese.

A D1 coach with a NC under her belt going wah, wah, wah, snivel, snivel. That's got to help her recruiting! Hard to believe the whine from this one.

I really enjoyed the piece - I do think it showed Brender's warts, as well as Danny-boys. Geno's line to end the piece is, simply, perfect: "you have to understand, this is a
race. I'm not slowing down: you have to run faster."
I Love it Geno's got NASCAR!!! :D

There's a parody of Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" in here somewhere. "Brender and Danny had had it already by the time of the Final Four. UConn rolled on, Terp's season was gone, 'cause Washington showed 'em the door.." or, somethin' like that.
Pinot, pun intended Geno would love it. Bottle of red, bottle of white...Geno loves his vino...;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IMO, a lot of these so-called HSAA are overrated. Some of TN hyped recruits can't shoot FTs. Run into each other on pick and rolls. Reach and swat as drivers go by them. A lot of these coaches, several in the SEC, are recruiting great looking athletes but not basketball PLAYERS. But on paper it looks great for those rabid fan bases. It hypes the product but doesn't win meaningful out of conference games and NC's. I give the Oregon St. and Texas coaches credit. They're smart and they're turning it around and getting kids with guts and attitude and they're going to be very dangerous shortly. As an aside, whoever gets this Ionescue kid is finding gold.
But just look at the coaching they are getting. 95% of high school AAs arrive at their university as bench warmers - they just aren't that good as college level players. They have individual skills, but they generally know nothing about defense, and nothing about how to play with more talented teammates. Lou and Napheesa after a month of boot camp with the best coaching staff in America looked OK in the first month, but they weren't playing basketball to Uconn's standards. After two months of getting some minutes and a lot of coaching and practice, they are starting to look pretty good and you can get glimpses of what they can bring next year. And they are playing with three AAs and an International star player. Put them on a team with 5 other untouched upper classmen running crap offense and defense with lots of one on one play and very little teamwork and you would be asking the same thing - were they really ranked #1 and #6 in the country!!!
Everyone wanted Russell out of HS and TN won the lottery - two years later, everyone is asking was this player really #1 in HS. She was legitimate, she just has had two years of really bad coaching and is playing about the same HS level game she played when she arrived. Give her Tara, or Muffett, or Kim, or Rueck and I bet she is an AA this year (maybe second or third team.) Put her in that dysfunctional offense with those teammates and that coaching staff ... maybe she will get drafted because she is tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom