ESPN's Outside the Lines: Is Being Too Good Bad for the Game? | The Boneyard

ESPN's Outside the Lines: Is Being Too Good Bad for the Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
All this controversy is absolutely great for the women's game. The women's game has never had as much media attention as it is getting today because of claims that UConn is too good. Bring on the controversy. It's wonderful for UConn and for the game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This has been Frese's shtick for a long, long time. UConn/Geno sticks in her craw and it shows a little too much. She's had great talent, but she can't get over the hump. Hey Brenda, you're driving the bus. Drive it harder and maybe your team won't slow down in the second half.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There was nothing inappropriate in what Brenda said, especially considering her position in the spectrum. She said that when the top players mostly choose UConn, it doesn't help. But that was right after the background voice pointed out that UConn has only had the top recruiting class once in the last 5 years (although they signed the top individual three times in that period: KML, Stewie, and Lou), and that Maryland has the top incoming class next year.

As many on this board have noted, the graduation of the Triumvirate does mean that UConn will not be the team with the most raw talent next year. Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, and possibly Louisville may have more talent. Whether that means that they will beat UConn is another question. If it turns out that despite their talent advantage, UConn still wins an NC (probably in a competitive game), then there will be much less to complain about.

Let's face it -- the current Triumvirate (especially considering the supporting cast) is a talent level for the ages. It might be better than the 2002 or 2009 UConn teams or the Three Meeks. When you have that much talent that is also well coached and plays as a team on both offense and defense, the result will be dominance. That's probably why this issue is surfacing now. But that level of domination won't last, and that probably IS a good thing for women's basketball.

Reaction Score
There was nothing inappropriate in what Brenda said, especially considering her position in the spectrum. She said that when the top players mostly choose UConn, it doesn't help. But that was right after the background voice pointed out that UConn has only had the top recruiting class once in the last 5 years (although they signed the top individual three times in that period: KML, Stewie, and Lou), and that Maryland has the top incoming class next year.

As many on this board have noted, the graduation of the Triumvirate does mean that UConn will not be the team with the most raw talent next year. Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas, Ohio State, and possibly Louisville may have more talent. Whether that means that they will beat UConn is another question. If it turns out that despite their talent advantage, UConn still wins an NC (probably in a competitive game), then there will be much less to complain about.

Let's face it -- the current Triumvirate (especially considering the supporting cast) is a talent level for the ages. It might be better than the 2002 or 2009 UConn teams or the Three Meeks. When you have that much talent that is also well coached and plays as a team on both offense and defense, the result will be dominance. That's probably why this issue is surfacing now. But that level of domination won't last, and that probably IS a good thing for women's basketball.

I can agree with you, for the most part, just like I can agree with the previous posts that note a certain screechy whine coming from the general direction of Maryland. I hear it, too.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think it's so funny when coaches bitch about this. So if Frese was on the cusp of winning her 11th national championship, she'd think it was unfair too? Every coach in WCBB would kill to be in Geno's shoes, and they know it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it's so funny when coaches bitch about this. So if Frese was on the cusp of winning her 11th national championship, she'd think it was unfair too? Every coach in WCBB would kill to be in Geno's shoes, and they know it.

Someone should ask Brenda why, if UConn's persistent dominance is so oppressive to programs like hers, she failed to follow up on her 2006 title — won by a team dominated by freshmen and sophomores — with even so much as a run to the Final Four in the next 3 years.

That team of Langhorne, Tolliver, Coleman, Harper, et al. easily boasted as much raw talent as a UConn or Tennessee team ever did. Why did they fail to improve after 2006? Hmm.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's not clear to me if Dan and Brenda - of all people! - are auditioning to provide expert testimony, take seats in the jury box, or preside as judges.

Call the bailiff! Toss these imposters out on their ears!:mad:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry to be blunt, but that screechy whine coming out of maryland is a broken record. My whine: when are the wanna be media stars with the vince Lombardi pre-game pep talks, going to turn off the cameras, get in the gym and start coaching their AAs to be consistent winners, and when are they going to start really studying the game of basketball and learning how to coach in games. Because until they do, or until they hire another great assistant like Jeff, doesn't matter who they recruit, they aint going to win another. And until ADs start firing some over paid, lazy, fossils that occupy the coaches seats at some pretty good universities, this isn't going to change.
Want to attract great players - prove that you can develop their games!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the piece - I do think it showed Brender's warts, as well as Danny-boys. Geno's line to end the piece is, simply, perfect: "you have to understand, this is a race. I'm not slowing down: you have to run faster."

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
There's a parody of Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" in here somewhere. "Brender and Danny had had it already by the time of the Final Four. UConn rolled on, Terp's season was gone, 'cause Washington showed 'em the door.." or, somethin' like that.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
No one is telling the Golden State Warriors to lose more so that everyone else can have a chance. No one thought Kentucky going undefeated in the regular season last year was ruining men's basketball.

This whole thing is complete misogyny. There's no other explanation for it. Men's accomplishments are celebrated, women's always come with an asterisk.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see next season when Brenda has the best recruiting class, what her excuse will be if they lose. She's setting herself up for a loud thud at the end of next season.

I'd agree with you about a thud but she's quite the contortionist so most likely it will be some other factor or team's fault. It's unfortunate prizes aren't awarded for her or Mulkey's unique skill sets. That would be one hell of an awards show.

Reaction Score
Sorry to be blunt, but that screechy whine coming out of maryland is a broken record. My whine: when are the wanna be media stars with the vince Lombardi pre-game pep talks, going to turn off the cameras, get in the gym and start coaching their AAs to be consistent winners, and when are they going to start really studying the game of basketball and learning how to coach in games. Because until they do, or until they hire another great assistant like Jeff, doesn't matter who they recruit, they aint going to win another. And until ADs start firing some over paid, lazy, fossils that occupy the coaches seats at some pretty good universities, this isn't going to change.
Want to attract great players - prove that you can develop their games!
Watching some of these coaches that have come on the scene in he last 5-10 years, if they weren't getting some of the top players, we wouldn't know who they are. There are coaches of top 10 teams who have 2 and 3 year starters who still don't know how to run a pick and roll right. They run offenses where their kids are running into each other or standing still. And skill development is non-existent in some cases. Auriemma's old school motivation works better than getting all dressed to the 9's and trying to sound like a CEO at a sales meeting.

Reaction Score
Brenda please...Freeze, Uconn is not hurting the game at all...catch up, coach up, or shut up.

And the only time any team ever (Of Late Anyway Since 2009) is going to beat Uconn is at Uconn weakest moment due to lost of talent by virtue of the WNBA.

The thing to me is, "Can you beat their best with your best at their highest level of play? Can you dance?

Man after watching that video she has a nerve to say what's bad for the game. What's bad, Brenda, is having a great freshman 2006 class and winning only one championship. Geno would have at least had 3 titles with class she had.

I got piss watching that video regarding those only who attacked greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom