Dick Weiss reporting that Umass and Tulsa could both join Uconn and seven others in a new conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dick Weiss reporting that Umass and Tulsa could both join Uconn and seven others in a new conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really think ll this is BS. Uconn will leave- if we were not leaving the BE (oh sorry- the POSs that sold the name and have nothing left except UCONN and Cincy) would have let us play in the BET. They don't care and that would be strange if we were staying put.

Reaction Score
Here's the problem. I'm opposed to UMass because they're terrible in football. Like, really really really bad. They don't add anything.

People don't seem to realize that East Carolina is infinitely better than UMass in football, and they have respect because they have a lot of football fans. East Carolina is for now a football only school.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Add nobody.

UConn
Cinci
UCF
USF
ECU
Tulane
SMU
Houston

Only add when teams leave. Why is 10 so special? I'd rather play 7 conference games (8 if Navy joins) and schedule whoever, whenever, wherever. If we can't fill a spot with a quality opponent, then at Mess.
I like the idea. One benefit is (if the conference schedule makers use their brains) we will have one football visit to both talent rich Texas and talent rich Florida each season.

Basketball should do well regardless of where we are and we will have opportunities if we play a challenging non conference schedule.

Biggest priority however is to continually improve the brand is spite of the obstacles. That is the only way to get out of this hell.

Reaction Score
Today and tonight, umess instantly improved on their ranking as the party school of the country.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Add nobody.

UConn
Cinci
UCF
USF
ECU
Tulane
SMU
Houston

Only add when teams leave. Why is 10 so special? I'd rather play 7 conference games (8 if Navy joins) and schedule whoever, whenever, wherever. If we can't fill a spot with a quality opponent, then at Mess.
TEMPLE?????

Reaction Score
People don't seem to realize that East Carolina is infinitely better than UMass in football, and they have respect because they have a lot of football fans. East Carolina is for now a football only school.

I agree. Collectively all these schools that are joining have lots to be desired. But in retrospect, any one of these, minus Tulane and especially ECU, would have helped the old BE. For this the blame from what I understand, is on the C7.

As for ECU, from a football standpoint, they are the real deal. They have a small but energetic fan ban base that packs their 54K stadium against all the "dregs" they used to play. In the old BE they would have won over a lot more of the state of Carolina. Their basketball was horrid, but again because of their conference. In the old BE, their basketball program would have flourished. A basketball crazy region which finally had a true representative against the old BE "yankees".

Nothing would have saved the old BE, except for the addition of a ND or Penn St, but some things could have prolonged the situation and put us in a better place for the future.

Reaction Score

Yes they are good in football and have been and probably still are a good party school. But have you been to Greenville NC? Is the team going to fly into Raleigh pass NC St, and head east on 264 to a 2 st town? Sounds like a great road trip to me. (That's sarcasm to my comically challenge yarders).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is what it is. UCONN will have to deal and keep our fingers crossed that the ACC gets raided again thus opening up a spot for us there. Come on Big 10 and Big 12 - go do some poaching!

Reaction Score
Yes they are good in football and have been and probably still are a good party school. But have you been to Greenville NC? Is the team going to fly into Raleigh pass NC St, and head east on 264 to a 2 st town? Sounds like a great road trip to me. (That's sarcasm to my comically challenge yarders).

I've been on 264 plenty of times (well, 4 times) but I never took the detour to Greenville. I have stopped at plenty a roadside East Carolina BBQ on my way to the Outer Banks on that road. It will be a haul. I'm sure UConn fans can skip it unless the game is in early Sept., because then you can take in a Saturday game, take Monday and Tuesday off for a long weekend in the Outer Banks.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Most probably disagree but I'm ok with UMass. At least it's a New England school with decent basketball and a guaranteed W for us in football.
I agree...we have a long history with UMess that by far predates the Squid...plus the travel is an order of magnitude better than all of other conference opponents!

Reaction Score
I've been on 264 plenty of times (well, 4 times) but I never took the detour to Greenville. I have stopped at plenty a roadside East Carolina BBQ on my way to the Outer Banks on that road. It will be a haul. I'm sure UConn fans can skip it unless the game is in early Sept., because then you can take in a Saturday game, take Monday and Tuesday off for a long weekend in the Outer Banks.

Love the Outer Banks. Rent houses in the Duck area every other year. Will have to hook up for that game.

Reaction Score
Love the Outer Banks. Rent houses in the Duck area every other year. Will have to hook up for that game.

Last year we stayed way up Currituck about 5-10 miles past where the road ends and people drive on the beach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The company you keep shapes your national perception, and perception is the only thing that matters.

We've gone from associating with Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Notre Dame, Georgetown, and Marquette to associating with Houston, Tulane, East Carolina, and God knows what other dregs of the basketball world. UMass is a further step toward decline and irrelevance.

You are a 100% correct

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We could've seen Scottie Haralson again if this happened a tad earlier.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

One of my dream retirement areas. Along with San Diego burbs, the Middle Keys and the Gulf Coast. And a summer home in the Reno/Tahoe area too.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Our new conference should do whatever it takes to get the conference tournament at MSG!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I agree...we have a long history with UMess that by far predates the Squid...plus the travel is an order of magnitude better than all of other conference opponents!

Let's add UNH, Maine and URI then too.......maybe even the Catamounts

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
whatever conference we're him, Ollie will retain the Husky brand

in the worst case scenario, we simply play 6 strong OOC games per year and participate in a solid in season tournament every year

March will always be March

and we will wind up in a stronger conference eventually

we are UConn. I'm disappointed, but I'm not worried about our hoops programs

Reaction Score
One of my dream retirement areas. Along with San Diego burbs, the Middle Keys and the Gulf Coast. And a summer home in the Reno/Tahoe area too.

Either you will have to make up your mind or I need get into your field of work :)

Reaction Score
Did you see any wild horses?

Under my house, and all around everywhere. We basically barbecued near horse droppings. We had some canoes out back to that took us through an inlet. Now that was something. We heard a lot of cons and people on the run live back there just because you're 5 miles from the Virginia border and a natural habitat. It takes about 30 minutes to drive there because you're on beach sand. Once you're there, the horses are everywhere. Lots of snakes as well.

Reaction Score

Doesn't it get a bit cold on the Outer Banks? Plus, you have to deal with hurricanes constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom