Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please, you can't be serious. It's nonsense for him to patiently take his time? There are variables here. He is actually doing the right thing. This goes for non-athletes as well. Kids with multiple options need to weigh all the variables. At the end of the day, however, they are committing to a school, and not necessarily a coach or a program.

Dude, why are you making it sound like the kid should make the best decision for him, rather than a bunch of anonymous couch warriors that he'll never meet who root for the laundry he may/may not wear?

Reaction Score
The team I coach was playing in a tourney in Milwaukee this weekend run by some of the big time guys up there. They said people in Milwaukee are saying UConn.
Unfortunately I think the real answer is that everything outside of Diamond and his family is pure speculation.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
These are guys who have probably known him since he was young. The guy I'm sure is very close with his aau coach. And with all that said they weren't confident with their answer.

The full story is I went up to the guy and said tell me Diamond Stone is going to UConn. Proceeded to have a conversation about how he might not get the ball enough at UConn and how Wisconsin offense is perfect for him. Said he thought Wisconsin might be leading. Next day he came up to me said he talked to some ppl and it looks like UConn.. Take it for what it is could be total speculation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well we know he's not signing until spring, so the only real question is whether he will give a verbal before then. Presumably there is something about which he and/or his family are still undecided, even if he does give a verbal before the spring. Could be as simple as watching each team between now and then and seeing which situation he/they think is best. If he does verbal, I'd rather be the school getting the verbal, but even that school is going to be where we were with Hamilton and will not be sure until/unless he signs.

Part of me envisions KO telling him we've got no problem with that--maybe even recommending it as in his best interest--and pointing to Hamilton as an example for us. But hearing that we were just scouting other 2015 bigs as possible backup plans, albeit a wise a prudent thing to do, suggests that we don't feel great about our chances any more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
These are guys who have probably known him since he was young. The guy I'm sure is very close with his aau coach. And with all that said they weren't confident with their answer.

The full story is I went up to the guy and said tell me Diamond Stone is going to UConn. Proceeded to have a conversation about how he might not get the ball enough at UConn and how Wisconsin offense is perfect for him. Said he thought Wisconsin might be leading. Next day he came up to me said he talked to some ppl and it looks like UConn.. Take it for what it is could be total speculation.

Thanks for the report.

And now the cynic in me wonders if the people with whom he spoke knew he was reporting back to a UConn person and deliberately misled him, hoping to discourage any more of a press from UConn than he is already getting.

Reaction Score
After watching that Gonzaga game last night, I wouldn't mind looking overseas to find us a Sabonis of our own if Stone doesn't pan out.

I was thinking the exact same thing watching Gonzaga last night. That Sabonis kid is a beast.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the report.

And now the cynic in me wonders if the people with whom he spoke knew he was reporting back to a UConn person and deliberately misled him, hoping to discourage any more of a press from UConn than he is already getting.

Well I was there coaching a 5th grade AAU team. Not exactly a reporter.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Is he announcing Friday and signing in the spring or do we not know anymore about when he's announcing?

Reaction Score
If he doesn't declare until spring we need to do a lottery on closest to the number of views on this thread on announcement day.

Reaction Score
Well I was there coaching a 5th grade AAU team. Not exactly a reporter.

Thanks for the info.

If I had his talent and options I would wait until the spring also. By then he learns if KO is coming back again. He has to be hearing from others that KO could leave for the nba. This is an easy way for him to hedge his bets. For top flight talent this is about to become the norm.

C

Chief00

Bottom-line a verbal means nothing when there is this intra tug a war. It will be the spring before we know for sure. A long process.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.

If I had his talent and options I would wait until the spring also. By then he learns if KO is coming back again. He has to be hearing from others that KO could leave for the nba. This is an easy way for him to hedge his bets. For top flight talent this is about to become the norm.
Good lord, Ollie isn't going anywhere.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I "tried" following the recruiting process this year (usually don't have the patience)

But in all honesty F this, the process is unbearable, don't get me wrong it's Diamond's decision, and he should make his choice when he's well & ready, but I'm totally turned off by this Stone fiasco.

Give me some hard pipe-hittin' "brothas" who'll go to work on the NCAA with a pair of pliers and a blow torch..... Who most of all WANT to wear Husky champioship Blue.

To those who don't apply, f'em, they can watch us on the picture box come April.

Reaction Score
Crazy idea: Stone is leaning UConn, but doesn't want to announce now and have to endure a full year of his entire home state giving him about it.

Sounds about right. I'll go with that.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, because it's not like Wisconsin is famous for its dairy products or anything.
Yeah, but Wisconsin isn't the school we need to out-bribe.

Reaction Score
This is a bad paraphrase. When I made the distinction that we don't have a low post game, that is not to say Brimah is not impressive. Brimah gives UConn a defensive presence, he blocks balls, and is pretty good at putbacks. I went out of the way to say he is very Thabeet-like, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What does this mean, then? "I was kind of down with all the bigs except for Facey and his rebounding."

I didn't mean to infer that you weren't impressed by our bigs in general, just in that specific game.

On Stone: it's pretty frustrating that the decision date keeps getting pushed off. I don't blame the kid for it, but it makes me feel like an idiot for following as closely as I have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom