Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 50 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You missed the point(as usual), people think Brimah is a possible lottery pick(I'm in the same camp, definitely a future first rounder) because of his potential and his athletic gifts. A game against Bryant didn't influence that thinking. This whole "boneyarders overrate Brimah" narrative that some of you try to spin is pretty funny considering the offseason pub he received from outside sources like DraftExpress labeling him the best prospect in the conference and Slam giving him that pretty detailed writeup a few weeks ago.

Jesus, reading comp not your forte? I NEVER said he was or wasn't based on the Bryant game. Other people implied it which I posted above and I was pretty clearly on Amida's side as well. I think he's a potential lottery pick, too, fwiw. Needs one more year, but that's my opinion. The original total sh!!t show derailment of this thread started with an allusion to the Bryant game; which, of course you stated did not happen. The only thing I said is that we should temper our expectations a little bit. 8 and 6 with 3/4 blocks would be absolutely outstanding and with our dearth of guards and Amida's still raw post game, that is what I'm expecting. I think some would actually be disappointed with those numbers; hence the unrealistic expectations. It's been a pleasure having these pointless games of semantics and having you discuss my m.o. with me. Very enlightening.

Onto real talk... Interesting development with the UA connection. Would not be surprised if Maryland would do something like that.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Bob Stone could work at Under Armour if he wants, but the gap in his son's development between Uconn/Wisconsin and Maryland will end up costing his family a lot more that they gained from his employment at UA.

I think this is particularly disturbing to us because we've seen this kind of thing recently with Brunson (who's dad blew that anyway), and it makes Maryland a more legitimate threat, whether you agree with the ethics of it or not.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Jesus, reading comp not your forte? I NEVER said he was or wasn't based on the Bryant game. Other people implied it which I posted above and I was pretty clearly on Amida's side as well. I think he's a potential lottery pick, too, fwiw. Needs one more year, but that's my opinion. The original total sh!!t show derailment of this thread started with an allusion to the Bryant game; which, of course you stated did not happen. The only thing I said is that we should temper our expectations a little bit. 8 and 6 with 3/4 blocks would be absolutely outstanding and with our dearth of guards and Amida's still raw post game, that is what I'm expecting. I think some would actually be disappointed with those numbers; hence the unrealistic expectations. It's been a pleasure having these pointless games of semantics and having you discuss my m.o. with me. Very enlightening.

Onto real talk... Interesting development with the UA connection. Would not be surprised if Maryland would do something like that.
I have to laugh. I really have to laugh. You did a brilliant job summarizing how this thread went astray particularly describing in a clear and succinct way how a point was started, that point was debated leading to subgroups who debated things agains. I gave you a couple of likes for the accuracy and succinctness of your writing.

And then what happens? You and ace go at it for a stretch just as others held off on the debate you came to criticize.

Did I say I have to laugh? Because I did and am still laughing. I've paid 8 bucks for movies less entertaining than coming to these forums! BUT I'M NOT laughing at you. I'm laughing at how all of us do things so differently from one another and how easily we get annoyed with each other over these differences. These threads get hijacked because some of us handle waiting for news by keeping busy with trivia or debate. It's uncomfortable for those of us who prefer "silence" in the interim and it is difficult for those of us who only have a minute or less to check updates.

If we were to arbitrate a compromise for all the various needs what should we do? Personally I probably would give the nod to those with time constraints if this forum had a different format. But given the format I would say leave it as it is. Hit the ignore button on all posters who put something into a thread that is tangential from the theme. Or, with this particular threads theme, recruiting, know that any updates are placed in this thread and if they are significant, in a new thread, to make it easy for those on a tight schedule to get the pertinent information.

I probably should create an OT thread explaining this to everyone. But why should I do this? Some of us won't click the thread. Others will debate that issue to death because we fit the mold that any slant that benefits someone else is a slight towards ourselves. But most importantly I'm a sick son of a b and I'm enjoying all of this.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Brimah would have to fall down and break both legs for him not to go in first round whenever he decides to leave, which brings me to Stone. He may view himself strictly as center prospect who is planning on one year of college ball. So, why go to a school where a first rounder is in place when you can stay home...

pj

Reaction Score
Brimah would have to fall down and break both legs for him not to go in first round whenever he decides to leave, which brings me to Stone. He may view himself strictly as center prospect who is planning on one year of college ball. So, why go to a school where a first rounder is in place when you can stay home...

Stone may view himself as a basketball player and since he'll get 30 minutes a game at UConn whether he's playing alongside Brimah or not, why does it matter whether Brimah is here?

He might be more concerned about pushing his friend Phil Nolan to the bench in Phil's senior year.

Reaction Score
I have to laugh. I really have to laugh. You did a brilliant job summarizing how this thread went astray particularly describing in a clear and succinct way how a point was started, that point was debated leading to subgroups who debated things agains. I gave you a couple of likes for the accuracy and succinctness of your writing.

And then what happens? You and ace go at it for a stretch just as others held off on the debate you came to criticize.

Did I say I have to laugh? Because I did and am still laughing. I've paid 8 bucks for movies less entertaining than coming to these forums! BUT I'M NOT laughing at you. I'm laughing at how all of us do things so differently from one another and how easily we get annoyed with each other over these differences. These threads get hijacked because some of us handle waiting for news by keeping busy with trivia or debate. It's uncomfortable for those of us who prefer "silence" in the interim and it is difficult for those of us who only have a minute or less to check updates.

If we were to arbitrate a compromise for all the various needs what should we do? Personally I probably would give the nod to those with time constraints if this forum had a different format. But given the format I would say leave it as it is. Hit the ignore button on all posters who put something into a thread that is tangential from the theme. Or, with this particular threads theme, recruiting, know that any updates are placed in this thread and if they are significant, in a new thread, to make it easy for those on a tight schedule to get the pertinent information.

I probably should create an OT thread explaining this to everyone. But why should I do this? Some of us won't click the thread. Others will debate that issue to death because we fit the mold that any slant that benefits someone else is a slight towards ourselves. But most importantly I'm a sick son of a b and I'm enjoying all of this.

You are very, very right... I fell into the same "trap" that I was annoyed with to begin with. Damn interwebs... To quote South Park, "If irony were strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

Reaction Score
Someone, maybe you, pointed that out a few days ago. Frankly, I think that is the one alarming sign we've seen. The date is arbitrary unless there is something I am missing that makes 11/21 significant for him. Could be a little boost to the Wisconsin mojo and then he can make a hero's entrance to the arena the next day for the game. None of the retweeting etc. bothers me at all. He's got all kinds of friends and acquaintances from Wisconsin tweeting him and I don't expect him to ignore them even if he is coming to UConn.
The flip side of that is where do his NBA prospects after two years in college improve more, at UCONN or Wisconsin? I think the answer to that is clear.

Reaction Score
The flip side of that is where do his NBA prospects after two years in college improve more, at UCONN or Wisconsin? I think the answer to that is clear.

Couldn't one argue Frank Kaminsky is the most improved player in the nation since the moment he stepped on campus? Kid was a nobody, now I can't stop seeing him (cover of SI & #1 on ESPN player list, ect).

Wisconsin would be a fine choice IMO. Much better then OK ST or Maryland. But of course UCONN is the best choice :)

Reaction Score
@boog204 I'm still not sure after reading all of your posts what you're so annoyed about, there's clearly a disconnect somewhere between the conversation me and upstater had and what you interpreted. I think you're making something out of nothing, as the conversation never really strayed outside the topic - or matters pertaining to the topic - of the thread. To paraphrase...

Upstater - Wisconsin and UConn both badly need Stone's services

Me - I don't agree, because we still have Brimah, unless you're assuming he goes pro (note, neither me nor upstater speculated Brimah would go pro, you inferred that yourself)

Upstater - I wasn't particularly impressed with any of our big's in yesterdays game.

Me - I thought Brimah dominated the second half of the game and is coming along nicely (notice at no point did I connect his performance in that game to pro aspirations)

Then others jumped in and started weighing Brimah's pro chances against other guys who have played here, which is when things got off the rails a little. But regardless, it isn't as if the conversation had no baring on Stone; we're heavily involved in his recruitment, so it's fair to speculate on how he'll fit within next years roster (which Brimah is a big part of). On a scale of one to the Tevin Mack thread, that whole episode probably ranks at a one or two. I guess that's my long-winded way of saying you're making something of nothing.

Reaction Score
Couldn't one argue Frank Kaminsky is the most improved player in the nation since the moment he stepped on campus? Kid was a nobody, now I can't stop seeing him (cover of SI & #1 on ESPN player list, ect).

Wisconsin would be a fine choice IMO. Much better then OK ST or Maryland. But of course UCONN is the best choice :)

Very good point. Wisconsin does a great job of developing players in general. They just don't get many high profile recruits that have all the tools to be top draft picks but many have wound up in the Nba nonetheless. I would have NEVER imagined Kaminsky being considered for the NBA after seeing him his freshman year. Already seeing huge development from other players this season but that is no surprise.

I just want this to be over so i can stop checking for info everyday!

Reaction Score
Very good point. Wisconsin does a great job of developing players in general. They just don't get many high profile recruits that have all the tools to be top draft picks but many have wound up in the Nba nonetheless. I would have NEVER imagined Kaminsky being considered for the NBA after seeing him his freshman year. Already seeing huge development from other players this season but that is no surprise.

I just want this to be over so i can stop checking for info everyday!

If you're a big, white guy and need to improve UW is a home for you. And they do a nice job of making it happen! Obviously Bo and his staff take less than Top HS players and work them into their brand of basketball and that's a pretty damn good thing, impressive. Kind of like UConn and the many kids who have walked through the doors only to leave better players and people when they leave. A lot to be said about both programs so either way, DS will make a great choice. It's just the REAL great choice is to come east!;)

Reaction Score
I hate to say it but every day I'm more convinced he's going to stay in Wisconsin. Really hope I'm wrong.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Is this happening Friday? Not hearing much chatter about a pending decision. Either Ollies got him, or we will hear the news in PR.

Reaction Score
No real chatter, aside from some Wisconsin writer saying they get him eventually. Personally, I'm of the opinion Diamond and his dad want different schools.

This seems the best explanation for what's happening. I think dad keeps pushing the decision date back so he can try to convince his son. I feel like, if he had succeeded, we've had heard by now.

Reaction Score
@boog204
Upstater - I wasn't particularly impressed with any of our big's in yesterdays game.

This is a bad paraphrase. When I made the distinction that we don't have a low post game, that is not to say Brimah is not impressive. Brimah gives UConn a defensive presence, he blocks balls, and is pretty good at putbacks. I went out of the way to say he is very Thabeet-like, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
This is a bad paraphrase. When I made the distinction that we don't have a low post game, that is not to say Brimah is not impressive. Brimah gives UConn a defensive presence, he blocks balls, and is pretty good at putbacks. I went out of the way to say he is very Thabeet-like, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
The key, I think, is Brimah has better hands even now than Thabeet ever had. Every time someone passed the ball to Thabeet I would impulsively groan. Brimah shows a lot of promise on the offensive end, he's not just a shot blocker

Reaction Score
Brimah was definitely a better offensive player last year than Thabeet was as a freshman. Scored more often on fewer attempts, turned the ball over less, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, because it's not like Wisconsin is famous for its dairy products or anything.

20110401-uconn-dairy-bar.jpg

>>>>

wisconsin_cheese_carving_new_orleans.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Pappa [Was a Rolling] Stone says that Diamond is not signing LOI until Spring:

Diamond Stone to Sign in Spring Period
17 minutes ago
Dominican High (Wisc.) center Diamond Stone will wait until the spring to sign a National Letter of Intent, his father told Inside Maryland Sports.

Stone, a 6-foot-10 senior rated the No. 1 center in 247Sports' Class of 2015 Composite rankings, is considering UConn, Maryland, Wisconsin and Oklahoma State. He officially visited all four schools this fall and seemed to be at least considering inking a National Letter of Intent during the NCAA's early signing period, which began last week and ends tomorrow. But his father, Bob Stone, told IMS this morning that won't happen.

Stone could still verbally commit before the spring period, which begins April 15, but wouldn't be officially bound to the school he chooses until he signs.

UConn is the leader in Stone's Crystal Ball with 80 percent of predictions, but his recruitment has played out quietly, with his father keeping the process a family affair.

Maryland has recruited Stone since his freshman year, with assistant Bino Ranson leading the effort. Stone took his official visit to College Park a month ago. The Terps have just one true center on the roster in sophomore Damonte Dodd and are looking for another post player to complement their talent-laden cast of perimeter players.

"I think they've got eight returning lettermen next year and we had talked about what they run but we got to see it in person. Coach Turgeon, he seemed to be in control," Bob Stone told IMS. "We talked to a lot of the kids, They all seemed like nice kids.

"It was pretty nice. We went to the football game, saw Maryland Madness, got to see the facilities and talk to all the people ... It was kind of a big campus, but kind of cozy at the same time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom