Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 49 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cool, I'll take a bunch of grown men trying to interpret tweets over the Brimah is a pro/not a pro argument based on one game against blueblood bryant.

the brimah discussion has nothing to do with the bryant game, read the posts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
the brimah discussion has nothing to do with the bryant game, read the posts.
A propos of nothing, did anyone else notice Welsh call him Amidah Bryant at one point, or did I imagine that? I figured he was conflating it based on Anita Bryant. But maybe that was me.

And strange as that may be, Diamond Stone's tweets are still stranger to me.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
It's just gotten bizarre how many people on here are convinced Brimah is gone after this season.

I'm not saying there's no chance of it happening, but at the moment, it's very unlikely.
Just like Purvis was one and done and DHam is as good as gone after his exhibition performances....

We have talented players who have a chance to make it in the NBA SOME day but let's take our foot off the gas pedal here, one game at time here fellas

Reaction Score
What are the tweets everyone is speaking of? Ah forget it I'll just wait it out before I hit the ledge!:mad:

Reaction Score
Cool, I'll take a bunch of grown men trying to interpret tweets over the Brimah is a pro/not a pro argument based on one game against blueblood bryant.
...except nobody is projecting Brimah as a future pro because of his game against Bryant. The contempt you have for this kid is really bizarre, you never miss an opportunity to take a shot at him.

Reaction Score
...except nobody is projecting Brimah as a future pro because of his game against Bryant. The contempt you have for this kid is really bizarre, you never miss an opportunity to take a shot at him.

What the hell are you talking about? This wasn't a shot against him in the least. It's a shot against how ridiculous this thread is where people are deciding pro potential by debating in part his performance against Bryant (see thread development below) and that most of us come here to see any info about Diamond Stone and instead we are getting hot garbage pissing match on a topic that is too early to debate. It started on Saturday (following the Bryant game) with....

Did we forget about Amida Brimah, or are we just assuming he goes pro?

Then...

Last night, against Bryant no less, was a clear sign that we need more bigs, especially bigs that have any offense whatsoever. Not sure what you saw last night that gave you confidence, but I was kind of down with all the bigs except for Facey and his rebounding.

Then...

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I thought Brimah dominated the second half of that game (albeit against a low-major) - he completely changed the game defensively. As far as his offensive game is concerned, it's obviously a work in progress, but what were you expecting? We all knew coming in that this was going to be the second step of a three year plan. He's already displayed decent touch on his right-handed hook when he's able to get close enough to the basket, and yesterday, he showed a great counter move along the right baseline by drop stepping and swinging around for a dunk. When you have solid touch, a couple inches over just about all of your opponents, and developing foot work, it's a matter of when not if he puts it together.

I suppose I'm just not nearly concerned as you are about the front court. Nolan is what he is - bad game yesterday, but no reason to think he can't be perfectly serviceable as a third big. Of course I would love to add Stone to the rotation, but we'll be just fine with what we have.

And the derailment is on...

We then segue into the two camps... Yes, he is ready now because of his potential or no he is not because his skills are too raw. There are three or four mentions of his performance against Bryant. Then the "look at Drummond" camp enters. It's going nowhere. Maybe we can wait and see if Amida's vast potential (pure contempt, huh?) continues to come to fruition or if his rawness could you use a bit more seasoning. There is no debate right now because we need more time to see him play and it sure as duckck as nothing to do with Drummond b/c they are vastly different players from a physical standpoint. We have an enormous recruit committing in the next couple of days and instead we're seeing the same three or four posters have the same argument restated in different ways.

Reaction Score

And the "shots" you refer to are about tempering our expectations a bit... Maybe having threads about him going for 30 and 15 are a little ridiculous considering I don't think we've ever had a player do that or projecting him as a surefire lottery pick is a little premature after an uneven (as was expected) freshmen year. No contempt there at all. We often build up expectations that a player simply cannot match and then when those lofty expectations are not met, we segue into ridicule. See soph-jr year Ricky Moore, Ajou Deng, Taliek Brown, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, AJ Price, Ater Majok, Andre Drummond...

Reaction Score
And the "shots" you refer to are about tempering our expectations a bit... Maybe having threads about him going for 30 and 15 are a little ridiculous considering I don't think we've ever had a player do that or projecting him as a surefire lottery pick is a little premature after an uneven (as was expected) freshmen year. No contempt there at all. We often build up expectations that a player simply cannot match and then when those lofty expectations are not met, we segue into ridicule. See soph-jr year Ricky Moore, Ajou Deng, Taliek Brown, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, AJ Price, Ater Majok, Andre Drummond...

The NBA is a LOT different today due to rookie salary contracts an Uconn's brand is better than ever. No one ever projected Brimah as a lottery. There are just some opinions that believe he can be drafted based on potential alone, everyone else is just assuming and connecting dots that were not there.

Reaction Score
Once again and for the last time so as not to further derail the thread, nobody is projecting Brimah as a future pro off of a game against Bryant. I'm not champs's mouthpiece, but I'm pretty sure he didn't watch that game and have some sort of epiphany about Brimah's pro prospects. Also, seriously knock it off with referencing scrappy's posts about 30&15 games and apply to that "we", as in some boneyard collective that has some unrealistic expectations about Brimah. That is one guy who has repeatedly jumped off the deepend with expectations and it was immediately shouted down when it was posted. Its gonna be hard for me to take what you post thereafter seriously(and just one reply is cool, I don't need multiple drawn out responses) if you're going to pull stunts like that. If you want to degrade and mock Brimah in order to boost up a recruit that the staff is after that's you're right, I just don't quite get going after one of our own who's actually in the program already and working hard to get better. I want Stone just as much as the next person, but I don't need to knock Brimah in order to express that.

Reaction Score
Brimah and drummond are anywhere near comparable when it comes to their physical make up. Drummond has elite athleticism, a tiny bit lower than prime dwight howard.Idk what the NBA was thinking , Andre shoulda been the 2 or 3rd pick that year. The way he is playing now is kinda disappointing considering. Brimah if he reaches potential is more in the mold of Larry Sanders/Camby type of center.

But while i think he should stay at least till his junior year. Its not that crazy to see him leaving after this year. Especially if this team makes a deep tourney run. That run will mean 1) Boat and other perimeter players are playing really good. 2) Brimah is killing it in the paint. Theres no way we go deep this year if Brimah isnt heavily involved. His height/length + athleticism + potential + ELITE shotblocking ablity + an impressive tourney run (avg like 13 -10 -4 ) I can see people projecting him as a mid 1st round pick.

Its also possible he under preforms and avg like 7and 5 , he gonna get blks no matter what though. Him and stone together would be mouth watering. I could see Horford /Noah type of potential with them. Man i really want stone, i try not to get involved with recruiting because it will be heartbreaking if we dont get him , which is likely considering our competition.

Reaction Score
If you want to degrade and mock Brimah in order to boost up a recruit that the staff is after that's you're right, I just don't quite get going after one of our own who's actually in the program already and working hard to get better. I want Stone just as much as the next person, but I don't need to knock Brimah in order to express that.

A lot of deep end's are being jumped off though. As I wrote initially, I've always been a huge Brimah backer. It's not really running him down to notice the team's deficiencies in certain areas up front. Many of us expect Brimah to develop the way that Thabeet did. But even as a junior, Thabeet was a huge defensive presence, not necessarily an offensive stalwart.

I agree with you that all this is taking place in a Stone thread, which may make it seem like people are running down Brimah for recruiting purposes, but I'd say it's natural in this thread for pointing out that Stone would bring something to this program which it currently does not have: "A low post game." You can't assume people are thinking this only because of recruiting. It's actually a real team need.

Reaction Score
Once again and for the last time so as not to further derail the thread, nobody is projecting Brimah as a future pro off of a game against Bryant. I'm not champs's mouthpiece, but I'm pretty sure he didn't watch that game and have some sort of epiphany about Brimah's pro prospects. Also, seriously knock it off with referencing scrappy's posts about 30&15 games and apply to that "we", as in some boneyard collective that has some unrealistic expectations about Brimah. That is one guy who has repeatedly jumped off the deepend with expectations and it was immediately shouted down when it was posted. Its gonna be hard for me to take what you post thereafter seriously(and just one reply is cool, I don't need multiple drawn out responses) if you're going to pull stunts like that. If you want to degrade and mock Brimah in order to boost up a recruit that the staff is after that's you're right, I just don't quite get going after one of our own who's actually in the program already and working hard to get better. I want Stone just as much as the next person, but I don't need to knock Brimah in order to express that.

Not sure where I mocked or degraded Amida here... Many people have surmised on here that he will be a lottery pick (google it), the 30/15 thread, as ridiculous as it is, has a few people think that 30 is doubtful, but possible. I think the only thing I've ever said linking Stone and Amida is that we would be foolish to not take Stone b/c of Amida which you quickly started crying about. And there have been a few people with that sentiment. That's not a knock on Amida as much as it is praise for what Stone brings. And please ignore me then; would hate to have you not taking me seriously.

Reaction Score
Not sure where I mocked or degraded Amida here... Many people have surmised on here that he will be a lottery pick (google it), the 30/15 thread, as ridiculous as it is, has a few people think that 30 is doubtful, but possible. I think the only thing I've ever said linking Stone and Amida is that we would be foolish to not take Stone b/c of Amida which you quickly started crying about. And there have been a few people with that sentiment. That's not a knock on Amida as much as it is praise for what Stone brings. And please ignore me then; would hate to have you not taking me seriously.

You missed the point(as usual), people think Brimah is a possible lottery pick(I'm in the same camp, definitely a future first rounder) because of his potential and his athletic gifts. A game against Bryant didn't influence that thinking. This whole "boneyarders overrate Brimah" narrative that some of you try to spin is pretty funny considering the offseason pub he received from outside sources like DraftExpress labeling him the best prospect in the conference and Slam giving him that pretty detailed writeup a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone have any news about Diamond? 247 crystal ball now showing 80% UConn.

Wow...an on topic post in this thread. Anyone else have anything to say about Diamond Stone, rather than a bunch of pointless blather about Brimah and Drummond?

This is all that needs to be said: Diamond Stone is a great looking recruit, top 5 easy. Therefore we want him, no matter what position he plays. So does every other team. Fortunately, it's down to two, and both are formidable. Those discounting Wisconsin need to take off the blue tinted glasses.

Reaction Score
Wow...an on topic post in this thread. Anyone else have anything to say about Diamond Stone, rather than a bunch of pointless blather about Brimah and Drummond?

This is all that needs to be said: Diamond Stone is a great looking recruit, top 5 easy. Therefore we want him, no matter what position he plays. So does every other team. Fortunately, it's down to two, and both are formidable. Those discounting Wisconsin need to take off the blue tinted glasses.

There is no new news, if there was it would be posted already.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to hear you guys argue about Drummond/Brimah/Stone anymore. Just drop it. You are not insightful. You are not a basketball analyst. You are not adding to the conversation. Nobody cares if you think X is a lottery pick or Y isn't.

We want Diamond Stone. We hope he comes here. If you don't have any information to add to that topic, you're just adding more verbal garbage to this thread.

Reaction Score
Just posted to a UW message board from a guy who's pretty connected to the upper midwest recruiting scene:
-----
A respected east coast recruiting analyst told me this weekend that Maryland is offering Diamond Stone's dad a job at Under Armour if Diamond commits.
-----

132.gif

Attachments

• 132.gif
    132.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
Reaction Score
Just posted to a UW message board from a guy who's pretty connected to the upper midwest recruiting scene:
-----
A respected east coast recruiting analyst told me this weekend that Maryland is offering Diamond Stone's dad a job at Under Armour if Diamond commits.
-----

View attachment 7572
In a couple years his father never has to work again.

Reaction Score
[QUOhow "Funkhouser, post: 1129146, member: 5400"]Just posted to a UW message board from a guy who's pretty connected to the upper midwest recruiting scene:
-----
-----

View attachment 7572 [/QUOTE]
Now how desperate is Maryland?? This shouldn't be allowed by the NCAA. But why work when Diamond is a sure Pro prospect. From reading stories on his father it sounds like he's the one being recruited

Reaction Score
Maryland has really struggled developing its top ranked bigs. I'd be concerned if I looked at Shaquille Cleares development there.

I should also add that UA workers are imprisoned in sweatshop conditions in Bangladesh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak