Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm crazy but when did Bo Ryan get this rep for having success developing bigs? They have 2 bigs in the NBA and they're both role players who get spot minutes.

And Stiemsma barely played in college, which led to him not even getting drafted. At least Leuer was a good college player.

Reaction Score
his aau coach seems to think stone is a uconn lean, just reading from that quote. stuff like 'excellent', 'amazing', and 'really really loves'. seems like the only edge wisc has is closeness to home. Not sure why that would even matter since stone is likely 1&done. I could really see us landing this guy, and not the star guards we are chasing (briscoe/newman).

Reaction Score
his aau coach seems to think stone is a uconn lean, just reading from that quote. stuff like 'excellent', 'amazing', and 'really really loves'. seems like the only edge wisc has is closeness to home. Not sure why that would even matter since stone is likely 1&done. I could really see us landing this guy, and not the star guards we are chasing (briscoe/newman).
If you compare the two programs, the only edge Wisconsin should ever have is proximity for a kid that is from that area.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
That's you making inferences, the AAU coach does not say anything about having a favorite or leaning one way or the other. All we can take away from that quote is that it's between Wisconsin and UConn...no breaking news here

Reaction Score
Reposting this now......probably will come back to this for mojo on november 11th/12th.........How much can we believe in this dude.....Because if its down to us and Wiscy, I think I know who we are.......#CJKNOWS

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1
Diamond Stone is down to five: home school, actual choice, LOL, marketing 101 and OMG. #realtalk

Reaction Score
If you compare the two programs, the only edge Wisconsin should ever have is proximity for a kid that is from that area.
And the fact that they are in a "power" conference.

Reaction Score
Reposting this now.probably will come back to this for mojo on november 11th/12th....How much can we believe in this dude.....Because if its down to us and Wiscy, I think I know who we are..#CJKNOWS

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1
Diamond Stone is down to five: home school, actual choice, LOL, marketing 101 and OMG. #realtalk

That was over a month ago. That's a long time in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, the other 3 schools were also included in the article but I didn't copy and paste them.

Gist of it was:

Duke - great program, Coach K and USA team
Oklahoma St and Maryland - both have been recruiting since 9th grade

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And the fact that they are in a "power" conference.
I assume that was sarcasm? We were pretty successful last year while not in a P5 conference.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
From TOS:

"For all the schools, I really think it came down to the relationships Diamond had with the coaches," DeShawn Curtis, Stone's coach with the Wisconsin Legends on the AAU circuit, told BadgerBlitz.com

Wisconsin: Being the in-state school and having the opportunity to play close to home is important to Diamond and his family. The success that coach (Bo) Ryan has had in the development of his big guys is certainly something that is appealing. The consistent success coach Ryan has had is also intriguing for any prospect from across the country. As a post prospect, Wisconsin presents the opportunity to get a lot of touches and play inside and outside in that offense if you have that skill set. Like I said before, the chance to stay home is appealing.

UConn: Kevin Ollie, he's an amazing guy. During the recruiting process, Diamond feel in love with coach Ollie. And you can throw UConn up there with Duke as far as the program and what it offers. The interactions that Diamond has had with coach Olie have been amazing and he really, really loves coach Ollie. The plan that they have for him is excellent, but it's all about coach Ollie.
Well that's a ringing endorsement of Bo Ryan right there.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What do you mean?
I mean I don't think Wisconsin being in the B10 gives them a recruiting advantage over UCONN in basketball. I also mean that UCONN won the national title while in a non-P5 conference and will likely do it multiple times before Wisconsin ever does.

Reaction Score
That was over a month ago. That's a long time in recruiting.

ehh....not saying he does. But if he has inside info than things often do not change. Sometimes kids know where they want to go but let their recruiting process play out so they feel coveted. Who knows maybe his #realtalk really meant #faketalk or #myopiniontalk......

Reaction Score
From TOS:

"For all the schools, I really think it came down to the relationships Diamond had with the coaches," DeShawn Curtis, Stone's coach with the Wisconsin Legends on the AAU circuit, told BadgerBlitz.com

Wisconsin: Being the in-state school and having the opportunity to play close to home is important to Diamond and his family. The success that coach (Bo) Ryan has had in the development of his big guys is certainly something that is appealing. The consistent success coach Ryan has had is also intriguing for any prospect from across the country. As a post prospect, Wisconsin presents the opportunity to get a lot of touches and play inside and outside in that offense if you have that skill set. Like I said before, the chance to stay home is appealing.

UConn: Kevin Ollie, he's an amazing guy. During the recruiting process, Diamond feel in love with coach Ollie. And you can throw UConn up there with Duke as far as the program and what it offers. The interactions that Diamond has had with coach Olie have been amazing and he really, really loves coach Ollie. The plan that they have for him is excellent, but it's all about coach Ollie.

That sounds really good. However, there are three things Wisconsin can offer him that we can't:

1. Closeness to home

2. Big Ten

3. Immediate, guaranteed playing time

I'm a little shaky on the third one because I'm not too familiar with Wisconsin's roster - maybe they have a Brimah like player waiting in the wings, but with Kaminsky being back this year, that seems unlikely.

The second one shouldn't be completely discounted - playing at the Breslin Center or at Crisler Arena is a lot more appealing than traveling halfway across the country to play in front of five hundred people in Houston's gym. That being said, I think conferences are mostly overstated in recruiting. As has been said before and should be repeated, the first, second, and third priority of most kids is getting to the NBA as fast as possible. With Kentucky not being in his top five, though, maybe he's a different bread.

Proximity to home can be spun in either direction. On one hand, you're closer to high school friends, and your parents can come to more games. For some kids, getting away from home is the better course, especially ones with NBA aspirations. We've seen how this can work in both ways with guys like Drummond and Purvis.

But usually, the coach/player relationship matters above all else in recruiting. I think we're in good shape there.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised if Stone didn't come here. I've felt this way since spring when word got out that Stone absolutely loved Ollie. That right there was the most glowing endorsement of a coach I can remember seeing. Who cares about the proximity factor. His family has said they will move to wherever Diamond goes.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
That sounds really good. However, there are three things Wisconsin can offer him that we can't:

1. Closeness to home

2. Big Ten

3. Immediate, guaranteed playing time

I'm a little shaky on the third one because I'm not too familiar with Wisconsin's roster - maybe they have a Brimah like player waiting in the wings, but with Kaminsky being back this year, that seems unlikely.

The second one shouldn't be completely discounted - playing at the Breslin Center or at Crisler Arena is a lot more appealing than traveling halfway across the country to play in front of five hundred people in Houston's gym. That being said, I think conferences are mostly overstated in recruiting. As has been said before and should be repeated, the first, second, and third priority of most kids is getting to the NBA as fast as possible. With Kentucky not being in his top five, though, maybe he's a different bread.

Proximity to home can be spun in either direction. On one hand, you're closer to high school friends, and your parents can come to more games. For some kids, getting away from home is the better course, especially ones with NBA aspirations. We've seen how this can work in both ways with guys like Drummond and Purvis.

But usually, the coach/player relationship matters above all else in recruiting. I think we're in good shape there.

#3: Completely disagree -- Diamond will get 30+ mins at UConn as a freshman

#1: Agree

#2: Now this one depends on when Delaney actually decides to take the plunge....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
#1: Completely disagree -- Diamond will get 30+ mins at UConn as a freshman

We'll see. There are a lot of variables in play between now and then. We don't know how good Brimah is going to be. We don't know how good Nolan is going to be. And of course, we have no idea how good Stone will be right away. You can only put five bodies on the court.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
#3: Completely disagree -- Diamond will get 30+ mins at UConn as a freshman
Doubt it. As good as the kid looks, he's not as highly rated as Drummond was, and we all know AD struggled a lot with defense and was often a liability out there. Not saying it'll be the same with Stone (who definitely looks more polished), but he'll be competing for time against Nolan and Brimah, guys with national title credentials.

I think Stone would be lucky to get 20 minutes a game here as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Doubt it. As good as the kid looks, he's not as highly rated as Drummond was, and we all know AD struggled a lot with defense and was often a liability out there. Not saying it'll be the same with Stone (who definitely looks more polished), but he'll be competing for time against Nolan and Brimah, guys with national title credentials.

And Drummond still played close to 30 minutes a game. And that's while having a mask on for the first month of the season. Plus, Roscoe and Oriakhi had better credentials as underclassmen than Brimah and Nolan have currently.

Reaction Score
If people don't leave early then the depth of the team would make it very difficult for anyone to come in and play 30 minutes, especially a freshman. His abilities could very much outweigh that theory but it is yet to be seen. But i do want to see it!! LOL

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
And Drummond still played close to 30 minutes a game. And that's while having a mask on for the first month of the season. Plus, Roscoe and Oriakhi had better credentials as underclassmen than Brimah and Nolan have currently.

Better credentials and far better production.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think Diamond would be a lock for 25 mins a game if he were to stay out of foul trouble. Kid is a beast and a mismatch inside. Nolan and Brimah are good but still both are role players that do more defensively than offensively. Stone could easily approach 30 a game. He has shown a decent mid range game too. So I think you could play him at the 4 with Brimah at the 5, play the high low game and have the reassurance that defensively its going to be hard as hell to score on those two. Then he could shift over and play the 5 for with Nolan at the 4 or vice versa. Facey's time would take a hit and same with Rocks but we would be deep as all hell.

Reactions: pj

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score

Lucky to get 20 minutes a game as a freshman?!...man you crazy

AD came into a very similar crowded frontcourt situation and earned his minutes over upperclassmen Oriakhi because he was simply more talented even as a freshmen. Stone, himself, isn't going to look at our frontcourt and say he can't earn his share of playing time. Earn it he must and earn it he will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom