Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Yeah I think Diamond would be a lock for 25 mins a game if he were to stay out of foul trouble. Kid is a beast and a mismatch inside. Nolan and Brimah are good but still both are role players that do more defensively than offensively. Stone could easily approach 30 a game. He has shown a decent mid range game too. So I think you could play him at the 4 with Brimah at the 5, play the high low game and have the reassurance that defensively its going to be hard as hell to score on those two. Then he could shift over and play the 5 for with Nolan at the 4 or vice versa. Facey's time would take a hit and same with Rocks but we would be deep as all hell.

I think it's way early to make that statement, specifically with regards to Brimah. Last year, yes.

pj

Reaction Score
That is crazy. Stone is rated similarly to Drummond, #5 vs #2 or so. But Stone is much more accomplished as a player, Drummond was highly rated based on potential due to size and athleticism but he was nowhere near the basketball player Stone is. Stone will be a player you can't keep off the court no matter who else is on the team. He can play alongside Brimah as well as taking the center spot so there will be plenty of minutes for him.

Reaction Score
Yea, by Brimah's junior year I'd be shocked if he's not the best defensive C in college ball. That's not a guy who's going to spend alot of time on the bench.

But they'd look good next to each other on the blocks wouldn't they? But Rock, Phil and Facey may have to say something about that too..........a good problem to have

Reaction Score
I think it's way early to make that statement, specifically with regards to Brimah. Last year, yes.

Don't get me wrong I don't think that Brimah can't improve offensively and be a threat down low. I just don't see him as ever being that guy that we toss the ball inside to and say get us two points. He is in the mold of a slightly more skilled and agile Thabeet or slightly less offensively skilled then a Gorgui deng type. Late in the shot clock dump in and a quick hook? yes. penetrate and lob for dunk? yes. But Stone is one of those guys that if he has a guy who is a little undersized or not very defensively sound he could rack up the fouls for the opponent and due damage on his own even as a freshman. Similar Impact, not game, but impact, to a Julius Randle. I feel comfortable with saying that right now. I'd be floored if Brimah turned into that over one offseason. I would also have major expectations for this year if that were the case.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Everyone is very high on Brimah and for the right reasons, but you better believe that Stone will come in and get his share of minutes no matter how advanced Brimah may or may not be by junior year. As stated by other posters, Stone is way more refined than AD was and could easily co-exist with Brimah.

Many people are subscribing to the idea of Nolan and Brimah playing together this year (which I'm not particularly a fan of) so why would a skilled and mobile Stone and Brimah be an issue?

Stone coming to UConn would impact Rock, Facey and Nolan the most not Brimah as many are making arguments against

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Everyone is very high on Brimah and for the right reasons, but you better believe that Stone will come in and get his share of minutes no matter how advanced Brimah may or may not be by junior year. As stated by other posters, Stone is way more refined than AD was and could easily co-exist with Brimah.

Many people are subscribing to the idea of Nolan and Brimah playing together this year (which I'm not particularly a fan of) so why would a skilled and mobile Stone and Brimah be an issue?

Stone coming to UConn would impact Rock, Facey and Nolan the most not Brimah as many are making arguments against

You think Stone would have taken minutes from Jr Thabeet? That's what a lot of people are hoping for here, except with Brimah a bit smoother on offense.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
You think Stone would have taken minutes from Jr Thabeet? That's what a lot of people are hoping for here, except with Brimah a bit smoother on offense.
My point is he won't take minutes from Brimah, he can co-exist and play along side him and also spell him at Center as well. Now if Hasheem and Brimah were on the same team that's a different story as both are shot blocking bigs who cannot play the 4. Stone can play inside and out and is certainly agile enough to play the 4.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
My point is he won't take minutes from Brimah, he can co-exist and play along side him and also spell him at Center as well. Now if Hasheem and Brimah were on the same team that's a different story as both are shot blocking bigs who cannot play the 4. Stone can play inside and out and is certainly agile enough to play the 4.
Not from what I've seen. Granted that's only 2-3 games, but there's no way Stone has the quickness to handle a guy like Daniels, Randle, Gordon, etc on the perimeter.

He's a 5, and he's a damn good one. I think he'd come in and get 15 minutes right away. Maybe more if he grasps our defensive schemes.

But I can't see a freshman putting Brimah & Nolan on the bench for 30 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
Not from what I've seen. Granted that's only 2-3 games, but there's no way Stone has the quickness to handle a guy like Daniels, Randle, Gordon, etc on the perimeter.

He's a 5, and he's a damn good one. I think he'd come in and get 15 minutes right away. Maybe more if he grasps our defensive schemes.

But I can't see a freshman putting Brimah & Nolan on the bench for 30 minutes a game.

You are clearly not seeing what I am seeing.

Reaction Score

I see a lot of people putting Nolan on the bench. In fact, last year when I closed my eyes, all I could do was picture someone/ anyone (besides Tyler Olander) putting Phil Nolan on the bench.

Reaction Score

What, and Adrien had a ton of lateral quickness to defend those guys when he played alongside Thabeet?

There aren't a ton of Kevin Love big men types in college that can score from inside and outside. It's certainly not worth benching a guy like Diamond Stone.

Reaction Score
I don't follow this stuff nearly as closely as I used to, but my impression of Stone is that he's about as pure a 5 as you're going to find. I don't know where the idea comes from that he's going to be chasing stretch 4s all over the court.

Reaction Score
I don't follow this stuff nearly as closely as I used to, but my impression of Stone is that he's about as pure a 5 as you're going to find. I don't know where the idea comes from that he's going to be chasing stretch 4s all over the court.
Because, for a lot of posters here, reality doesn't win against wishful thinking.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Does every single team have a stretch 4 to defend against?...don't think so. Despite KO deploying Daniels as a stretch 4, the majority of college bball still trots out prototypical 4 men. Obviously if you had a guy like DD on the court you wouldn't ask Stone to guard that type of player.

Stone can specifically compliment Brimah offensively as the paint won't be clogged with Stone being able to step inside and out, not out to the 3 point line but FT line and elbows...something Nolan can't do and hopefully Facey can provide. Heck even JA was able to man the FT line so him and Thabeet wouldn't run into each in the paint

pj

Reaction Score
I see a lot of people putting Nolan on the bench. In fact, last year when I closed my eyes, all I could do was picture someone/ anyone (besides Tyler Olander) putting Phil Nolan on the bench.

I see Brimah and Stone moving Phil to the 4.

Reaction Score
Does every single team have a stretch 4 to defend against?...don't think so. Despite KO deploying Daniels as a stretch 4, the majority of college bball still trots out prototypical 4 men.

I don't have the time to do a survey of starting lineups across college basketball, but I would bet that that's actually not true. I can think of a bunch of guys at various programs just last season who nominally played the 4 but weren't a traditional power forward. It seems fairly common.

I also think we're making too much of Stone's purported ability to step outside. Realistically, the game is incredibly easy for him right now at the high school level so the downside risk of shooting jumpers isn't really there. It's going to be different when he's at the college level.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Does every single team have a stretch 4 to defend against?...don't think so. Despite KO deploying Daniels as a stretch 4, the majority of college bball still trots out prototypical 4 men. Obviously if you had a guy like DD on the court you wouldn't ask Stone to guard that type of player.

That's what we have Enoch for!

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I don't have the time to do a survey of starting lineups across college basketball, but I would bet that that's actually not true. I can think of a bunch of guys at various programs just last season who nominally played the 4 but weren't a traditional power forward. It seems fairly common.

I also think we're making too much of Stone's purported ability to step outside. Realistically, the game is incredibly easy for him right now at the high school level so the downside risk of shooting jumpers isn't really there. It's going to be different when he's at the college level.
Well when you do have some free time, survey the college bball landscape and get back to me, I'll be waiting.

Stone won't be hoisting up jumper after jumper in college, but he's certainly skilled and athletic enough on offense to be an on the block and mid range threat...when I say inside out threat I don't mean deep range shooting

Reaction Score
If Stone comes and Brimah improves as we expect, you would probably just see more zone D (like UK is expected to play with their abundance of bigs). They would both play big time minutes.

Low post scoring has been an issue since Adrien. Stone has been called the best low post scoring prospect since Cousins. There is no chance he's playing limited minutes.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Meh you can play two talented bigs. stone is very mobile. think about how donovon used hoford and Noah.
Two all-stars, one with maybe a legendary 18-foot jumper (Horford) and the other who is, by the numbers, one of the 10-best passing centers ever to play the game.

Reaction Score
Or how calhoun used Villanueva and Boone, Okafor and Boone, Armstrong and Boone, Armstrong and Nelson, Boone and Nelson, Thabeet and Edwards....all the comments that stone "could get 20 minutes a game maybe" are ridiculous. Hes a top 5 recruit and a most likely first round pick after one year. Hes going to play.

Reaction Score
You are clearly not seeing what I am seeing.

You don't need to be quick on the perimeter to be a 4 offensively. And defensively matching up with guys like Gorden and Randle isn't an issue as they are not elite slashers. Matching up with the Daniels of the world (the pick and pops who have some slash to them) can be done. You just hedge out and funnel the drive to your big man Amida. Then rotate defensively. I think you may underrate his athleticism a bit. He wouldn't be awful. Any team can create match up problems if they have a pick and pop big anyways. We've seen plenty times teams try to draw the Amidas and Thabeets out from the basket. Let them draw Stone out and Amida will be waiting for them....or vice versa....

Reaction Score
Two all-stars, one with maybe a legendary 18-foot jumper (Horford) and the other who is, by the numbers, one of the 10-best passing centers ever to play the game.
horford has a legendary jump shot( @ florida) ? what are you smoking? Stone projects to probably be a better pro than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom