Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
This will be one very tough get. Trying to stay positive but so much ground to make up for sure. This will be hard boys and girls.
It will, for sure - but I've got a lot of confidence. KO is persuasive and our record both on the court and at putting big men into the league speaks for itself.

That said: I can live with losing a kid to his hometown team. That's much more palatable than a UK or Duke swooping in and getting him.

Reaction Score
Plain and simple, I will be Disappointed if we don't get him.We have been hearing so much about Diamond for a long time now with expectation yeah this would suck if he goes to the badger's and Bo.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Plain and simple, I will be Disappointed if we don't get him.We have been hearing so much about Diamond for a long time now with expectation yeah this would suck if he goes to the badger's and Bo.
Well it would suck even more for Wisconsin if they miss out on Stone - they have been on him by the longest of any other school and he would be the best prospect they ever landed not to mention he will come with the hometown savior fan fare.

I don't think I can complain if he picks Wisconsin over us - I would be disappointed but I would certainly understand the draw to play for Bo Ryan and rep his hometown

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
In truth, I never really felt like we had much of a chance to land D-stone until reading TCF's post (been a long time since we won a recruiting battle like that). My gut, however, has shifted. If it is a two horse race, Wisconsin is in there because of the length of the relationship and hometown appeal (this is Stone's high school sweetheart, but he has yet to commit and does he really want to go to college with his high school sweetheart?). UConn coming off a NC w/ Ollie at the helm has some serious sex appeal and we have momentum on our side.

For the first time, I believe that Stone is ours to win and Wisconsin's to lose. I seriously like our chances. I think that despite the length of time that Ryan has been fostering a relationship, he falls under KO's spell and realizes that Uconn is the best situation for him.

Hopefully he schedules an OV. Then it will be up to the rest of the current team to make him feel like he's part of the family. If he feels like he fits in with the current team, then I believe we land him and he's the first of many top 10 recruits that KO will convince to come to Storrs during his career as our coach.

Plus, sounds to me like this kid and his family take life slowly and make methodical decisions, which may lead to him playing multiple years at college rather than jumping to the NBA as soon as possible. The fact that he didn't even give KY a sniff says a lot about his priorities.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
For the first time, I believe that Stone is ours to win and Wisconsin's to lose.lot about his priorities.

Couldn't have said it better myself - Wisconsin is all in on Stone, as are we, but they NEED him, we simply WANT him

Reaction Score
He's staying home my gut tells me. Saw what I believe was his twitter page and saw some pics of him with a really good looking young lady. They were kissing in one and they seemed to be dating. I think that and wisc being on them for so long that he stays. I dont think ko is wasting his time either because you never know

Reaction Score
He's staying home my gut tells me. Saw what I believe was his twitter page and saw some pics of him with a really good looking young lady. They were kissing in one and they seemed to be dating. I think that and wisc being on them for so long that he stays. I dont think ko is wasting his time either because you never know
There is something phenomenally creepy about this post. I know you didn't mean it that way but the extent to which we will follow recruits is getting scary.

Reaction Score

#Creeplife

Reaction Score
What if she's a UConn fan? YOU NEED TO FIND THAT OUT!!

Reaction Score
Let's offer her admission and then "team water girl". Problem solved.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if anybody knew where Stone was leaning considering how quiet he has kept everything. No one even knew he was having these in home visits.

Reaction Score
His good friend is going to attend Wisc?

Has ever seen a certain movie by Spike Lee featuring a UConn player?

Reaction Score
The part in the quote about Bo being on him long before everybody else is enough for me to think this is a long shot. We all know that relationships are critical in recruiting, and even if Ollie has done a great job making up ground...but he's still playing catch up. Add that to the hometown pull, and we have a lot to overcome.

I also don't know if he's the slam dunk, immediate impact player people think. He might well be, but people probably thought the same way about Dakari Johnson. If Stone is better as a freshman than Brimah is as a junior, I will be very surprised. So, while I would love to have him, this isn't going to be some demorolizing loss if we don't.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Just reported this post because I'm convinced you're Stone's ex-gf stalking him.

Reaction Score
The part in the quote about Bo being on him long before everybody else is enough for me to think this is a long shot. We all know that relationships are critical in recruiting, and even if Ollie has done a great job making up ground...but he's still playing catch up. Add that to the hometown pull, and we have a lot to overcome.

I also don't know if he's the slam dunk, immediate impact player people think. He might well be, but people probably thought the same way about Dakari Johnson. If Stone is better as a freshman than Brimah is as a junior, I will be very surprised. So, while I would love to have him, this isn't going to be some demorolizing loss if we don't.

Yes and No. The one thing I have gained out of his recruitment is that they are taking a very sober, non-emotional look at their options and focusing on what is best for his development over all other factors. That is a very mature, organized way of looking at things compared to some of the recruitments we see(weather, lifestyle, shiny objects).

Either way he goes I have nothing but respect for a kid who chooses as his two finalists Ollie and Bo Ryan. You know the kid is not afraid of some tough, hard work for the next few years, and values high integrity and class.

Reaction Score
Couldn't have said it better myself - Wisconsin is all in on Stone, as are we, but they NEED him, we simply WANT him

As a Wisconsin fan, I don’t totally agree with this. Bo Ryan has been, and will be competitive no matter who he puts on the floor (in 13 years at UW, he’s never finished lower than 4th in the Big Ten and never missed the tourney, and that was sometimes with what some might call “under-the-radar” talent). Even though this class hasn’t filled up as quickly as some UW fans hoped it would, it’s still shaping up to be a very good class, and probably will end up that way, with or without Stone. I think NEED is probably a little too strong. It looks like there are indeed a couple of Plan B guys out there. WANT VERY BADLY is probably more appropriate.

From the FYI department (I’m aware that none of this means a whole lot), Stone’s cousin, who he grew up with, is a walk-on RB on the UW football team named Dare Ogunbowale. Converted defensive back who just got his first playing time on Saturday. Two RBs ahead of him are injured so he was converted 10 days ago and actually looked pretty good as the #3 back against Bowling Green on Saturday (14 carries, 94 yards).

Also, Dare’s sister, Arike, is a big-time high school basketball player who’s in the midst of a pretty intense recruiting battle herself. She cut her list down to five schools over the summer -- Wisconsin, Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State and UCLA.

And Ryan Evans, a two-year starter for Wisconsin at forward (a player I always liked but who will always be remembered outside of Wisconsin as the jump-shooting free-throw shooter), who graduated in 2013, is cousins with Diamond’s mom and Arike’s mom.

So, you know, the ties are there and it would be a bummer if we didn’t get him. WANT VERY BADLY.

Reaction Score

Yes, but we have something Bo Ryan and Wisconsin do not have, 1) KO NBA fraternity and 2) Championship legacy. Those two things may be enough to overcome longtime relationships and his homestate school. I am not saying they will, but based on the kids/parents comments we have a strong chance. KO having such strong ties to NBA superstars (Lebron, Durant, Allen, etc.) plus the 4 championships in last 16 years is compelling for any recruit. Throw in the new practice facility and you now have enough to make him think long and hard about our program. Stay positive and hopefully we have enough to win the battle.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yes, but we have something Bo Ryan and Wisconsin do not have, 1) KO NBA fraternity and 2) Championship legacy. Those two things may be enough to overcome longtime relationships and his homestate school. I am not saying they will, but based on the kids/parents comments we have a strong chance. KO having such strong ties to NBA superstars (Lebron, Durant, Allen, etc.) plus the 4 championships in last 16 years is compelling for any recruit. Throw in the new practice facility and you now have enough to make him think long and hard about our program. Stay positive and hopefully we have enough to win the battle.

To be honest, its not a bad choice for him either way. I do think Ollie can do a better job preparing him and mentoring him for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Also, Dare’s sister, Arike, is a big-time high school basketball player who’s in the midst of a pretty intense recruiting battle herself. She cut her list down to five schools over the summer -- Wisconsin, Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State and UCLA.
/QUOTE]

Thanks for alerting us to this. Geno Auriemma is going to get on top of this immediately.

Reaction Score

Geno was recruiting Arike, but she cut UConn this past summer, despite playing with 3 UConn commits over the summer (#1 Samuelson, Top 5 Collier & Top 25 Boykin)... Hopefully she reconsiders UConn. She's an excellent player and would be cool to go school with your cousin, with potential for both to win National Championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom