Diamond is Day to Day for Lady Vols | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diamond is Day to Day for Lady Vols

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I remember holly telling us last season that tucker and jones were both day to day and we all know how that turned out. Tucker played a total of two minutes and then transferred. Jones was done for the rest of the season. The only player we knew wasn't coming back was Harrison since her injury was obviously season ending. It's really hard to decipher Holly's coach speak, especially when it comes to injuries. Of course she says diamond is day to day, but she hasn't even been cleared for full contact yet. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid we won't see diamond for most of the season and when we finally do, her minutes could be very limited.
It is a disquieting to have this situation at the beginning of a season before the full rigors of real play kick in. And no, the "she'll tell us how she's feeling" stuff doesn't cut it in any sport anymore. Most players will try to be too hopeful, do too much, and they'll try to put themselves back in a game when they really can't play. That's the American way that has been glorified in many stories and movies, but for every Willis Reed and Kerri Strug there are also many times that the player's team was hurt by her inability to defend or shoot adequately or get the ball over the plate.

Brittany Hunter tried to get back on the court for Duke way too soon, though whether it was more because of her impatience or the coaches' desperation is a little unclear, but these lingering injuries sometimes do not stop lingering, and Hunter was reduced to a handful of tough minutes a game in her UConn career. Always wise to be very cautious and guarded in these situations.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is a disquieting to have this situation at the beginning of a season before the full rigors of real play kick in. And no, the "she'll tell us how she's feeling" stuff doesn't cut it in any sport anymore. Most players will try to be too hopeful, do too much, and they'll try to put themselves back in a game when they really can't play. That's the American way that has been glorified in many stories and movies, but for every Willis Reed and Kerri Strug there are also many times that the player's team was hurt by her inability to defend or shoot adequately or get the ball over the plate.

Brittany Hunter tried to get back on the court for Duke way too soon, though whether it was more because of her impatience or the coaches' desperation is a little unclear, but these lingering injuries sometimes do not stop lingering, and Hunter was reduced to a handful of tough minutes a game in her UConn career. Always wise to be very cautious and guarded in these situations.
I tend to agree. I'm not one to question a player's health, or even try to speculate if she's running the show, or not, or whatever. We have no idea what's going in inside the Tenn program - obviously they are desperate to get back to the elite, and they want to be relevant again. They want DD back ASAP.

But I hardly think the coaches or the medical staff/trainers would allow any player to do anything that could possibly harm them in the future. Other schools are different in that they let kids tweet and do social media during the season, so while at UCONN we are accustomed to hearing about our team ONLY thru official sources (interviews with them, or comments by the coaches or trainers), other programs are different.

Reaction Score
How does Godspell??? He doesn't have to he's God. He doesn't even use spell check or a grammar text--he's God.

You'd think that ESPN could spell, but today they describe a team as having its "sites" on someone or other. Sounds heavy.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree. I'm not one to question a player's health, or even try to speculate if she's running the show, or not, or whatever. We have no idea what's going in inside the Tenn program - obviously they are desperate to get back to the elite, and they want to be relevant again. They want DD back ASAP.

But I hardly think the coaches or the medical staff/trainers would allow any player to do anything that could possibly harm them in the future. Other schools are different in that they let kids tweet and do social media during the season, so while at UCONN we are accustomed to hearing about our team ONLY thru official sources (interviews with them, or comments by the coaches or trainers), other programs are different.

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not within our stars but within ourselves." TN's problem. Lotsa talent, not much to show . . .

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You'd think that ESPN could spell, but today they describe a team as having its "sites" on someone or other. Sounds heavy.
Oh believe me, ESPN got it right for once. If UTenn sends the Summitt or Vol Nation sites after a team, those poor kids can feel officially slimed in a very heavy way.

Reaction Score
This is the new world of no Proof readers---what isn't done by spell check isn't done. Look at your local news paper, where ever it may be, and read the headlines and small story heads--often make no sense. Even hard to read George Wills a scholar, has more than his share of mistakes. What they need is either my wife or Kibtzer--in a face off of error finding, it would be close, with Kb winning with Latin.

Reaction Score
Dean Lockwood mentioned Diamond today by stating she is doing more and more in practice and will most likely be a game time decision on Sunday.

So far the injury bug at Tennessee is staying consistent with Nared, Moore, Cooper and DeShields all being question marks to begin the season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Just because Baylor's OOC schedule does not include an away game and includes such powerhouses as a Grambling team that was #336 of 349 teams last year, it's a very wee bit unfair to call it b.s. First, the bulls may be offended that their useful product is being put to such a derogatory purpose, and also Baylor did at least get one preseason ranked team on the slate, though at #24, MSU is barely so. And look at the hopeful side, the Bears' OOC can only get better next year -- unless of course Kim decides that playing Grambling 10 times in a row is the fashion.

And HF21, nice of you to volunteer the Huskies players for an unremittingly tough and absurd OOC schedule that is twice as tough as their current true-grit blockbuster. Thought the goal was to win an NC instead of putting the team through ridiculous meat grinders in the fall. And if you are pushing the craziness, why does it have to be limited to the teams that are preseason top 10? Why not another UT team (Texas) at #11 that hasn't sh-a-t on the Huskies' reputation in the past?

When you say "I want to play and beat every top 10 team," do remember it is not you who are playing these games but college players who have a lot of pressures on them and maybe don't need a totally ridiculous schedule that no team in even professional sports play. I mean, if you want to go challenge yourself to play a schedule of daily one-on-ones against a 7-foot dead-eye 3-point-shooting magic-handle opponent, by all means, but trying to push even more grit on the Huskies even than the super coarse sandpaper slate that Geno has lined up is a bit nervy.
images

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Because DD is letting her COACH know about her body :confused: Hmm.. thank god you weren't a fan of my team when I played;)
I love our Duke visitors, they're so smart! BTW where is Cam?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Just because Baylor's OOC schedule does not include an away game and includes such powerhouses as a Grambling team that was #336 of 349 teams last year, it's a very wee bit unfair to call it b.s. First, the bulls may be offended that their useful product is being put to such a derogatory purpose, and also Baylor did at least get one preseason ranked team on the slate, though at #24, MSU is barely so. And look at the hopeful side, the Bears' OOC can only get better next year -- unless of course Kim decides that playing Grambling 10 times in a row is the fashion.

And HF21, nice of you to volunteer the Huskies players for an unremittingly tough and absurd OOC schedule that is twice as tough as their current true-grit blockbuster. Thought the goal was to win an NC instead of putting the team through ridiculous meat grinders in the fall. And if you are pushing the craziness, why does it have to be limited to the teams that are preseason top 10? Why not another UT team (Texas) at #11 that hasn't sh-a-t on the Huskies' reputation in the past?

When you say "I want to play and beat every top 10 team," do remember it is not you who are playing these games but college players who have a lot of pressures on them and maybe don't need a totally ridiculous schedule that no team in even professional sports play. I mean, if you want to go challenge yourself to play a schedule of daily one-on-ones against a 7-foot dead-eye 3-point-shooting magic-handle opponent, by all means, but trying to push even more grit on the Huskies even than the super coarse sandpaper slate that Geno has lined up is a bit nervy.
From everything that Geno has said and everything that I have heard, the UConn players would be in heaven if they could play an entire schedule made up of Sweet-16 caliber teams. They might even prefer to play the entire schedule against Final Four level teams. I think any competitor would feel that way. Part of the sales pitch for coming to UConn is that "You will play with the best, and against the best." It's the best way to develop their skills. At some point 40-point blowouts become a little tedious.

And certainly, from the standpoint of both fan interest and TV exposure and revenue, it is in UConn's interest to play the toughest schedule it can play.

Back when the Big East provided a lot of capable opponents, it made some sense to play lower-caliber opponents on the OOC schedule. But now that UConn is constrained to have 18 regular season games in the AAC, at least 16 of which will be completely non-competitive, they should put together the toughest OOC schedule that they possible can. I think Geno recognizes that. To his great credit, this year's OOC schedule includes only one "cupcake" (Colgate), and that is because Syracuse refused to provided a homecoming for Stewie.

If Baylor, Duke, or Stanford had been willing to play this year, I'm sure that Geno would have scheduled them. That is not the case with Tennessee, a fact which I consider deplorable, and I will bet that Stewie and Moriah don't really understand it either.

Reaction Score
Diamond is having a good game so far, but Tea Cooper is having an awesome game. Dunbar is shooting well too. They have been rotating 6 players, Diamond did not start but Mercedes is having a good game too.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
From everything that Geno has said and everything that I have heard, the UConn players would be in heaven if they could play an entire schedule made up of Sweet-16 caliber teams. They might even prefer to play the entire schedule against Final Four level teams. I think any competitor would feel that way. Part of the sales pitch for coming to UConn is that "You will play with the best, and against the best." It's the best way to develop their skills. At some point 40-point blowouts become a little tedious.

And certainly, from the standpoint of both fan interest and TV exposure and revenue, it is in UConn's interest to play the toughest schedule it can play.

Back when the Big East provided a lot of capable opponents, it made some sense to play lower-caliber opponents on the OOC schedule. But now that UConn is constrained to have 18 regular season games in the AAC, at least 16 of which will be completely non-competitive, they should put together the toughest OOC schedule that they possible can. I think Geno recognizes that. To his great credit, this year's OOC schedule includes only one "cupcake" (Colgate), and that is because Syracuse refused to provided a homecoming for Stewie.

If Baylor, Duke, or Stanford had been willing to play this year, I'm sure that Geno would have scheduled them. That is not the case with Tennessee, a fact which I consider deplorable, and I will bet that Stewie and Moriah don't really understand it either.
Um, yeah but point is that UConn is already playing one of if not the toughest schedules in WCBB history and has already done about as much as it can to "play the toughest schedule it can play." We all have our theories about how much good it does to play the type of killer schedules that Summitt would line up for the Vols in the 2000s that were so much beloved by the Summiteers and had very mixed success. How much good running yourself ragged in the fall (lots of injuries seem to happen in those high pressure games too) does for your play in late March is open to debate. I'm sure Geno wouldn't mind having another good OOC slot in Jan-Feb besides the one for USCar, but with USF now a top team and Temple, Tulane, and ECU on the way up, the AAC is starting to toughen up.

And on the other point of this thread but keeping to the competition issue, Central Arkansas was rated #280 by Sagarin last year. Although their 13-14 record didn't look that bad for a D1 school, they play teams like Hendrix, Crowleys Ridge, Central Baptist, Jarvis Christian, Lyon, and Williams Baptist that are at least one division below them, and it's nice to have four schools in the Southland Conference rated on the bad end of the 300s in Sags to give you a decent chance for conference wins. One of those teams UTenn should be embarrassed to play.

Reaction Score

I'm in agreement with most of what you are saying, but when it comes to playing Tennessee, that's where the agreement ends. I'm not going to opine on what Stewie and Moriah think about the situation, since I don't know, as neither has included me in their their inner circle.

First, when Holly made the first overture to Geno regarding playing UConn, and Geno didn't respond favorably, Holly sort of retracted her offer by saying she would not play UConn in respect to Pat Summitt. Why she made the overture in the first place is an interesting question if she never intended to follow through. To me, she was just trying to save face after being rebuked. But, in the final analysis, neither coach is willing to play the game. So it's not all on Geno.

Second, Tennessee continues to cast aspersions on Geno by making no attempt to stop or even moderate the untruths uttered by TN fans. Now the criticism has morphed into the reason why TN hasn't had any success recruiting this year. They say Holly won't cheat and all the other coaches will do what they need to do to get the recruits.

Perhaps if this kind of stuff ceased, some progress can be made.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
[I said:
"Second, Tennessee continues to cast aspersions on Geno by making no attempt to stop or even moderate the untruths uttered by TN fans.
Perhaps if this kind of stuff ceased, some progress can be made.[/I]

So now its the fans derision which is preventing the resumption of the series....the fans for gods sake?
This is getting really ridiculous.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So now its the fans derision which is preventing the resumption of the series....the fans for gods sake?
This is getting really ridiculous.
Where in freak did that comment come from? As if anything that some fans yack about can affect anything.

In case you weren't attuned to what went on back in 2006 and after, the UTenn administration made slanderous attacks against Geno and UConn that they have never backed off on in any way except to say that all maybe should now be peaceable since their coach of the time is facing a tragic illness. This is simply about the fact that Geno has requested a minimal amount of courtesy from UTenn before any interactions between the teams resume, in case he gets stabbed in the back again. Is that so hard to understand?

Reaction Score

Please recall, that ship has sailed. Let's move on from this pipe dream.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Where in freak did that comment come from? As if anything that some fans yack about can affect anything.

In case you weren't attuned to what went on back in 2006 and after, the UTenn administration made slanderous attacks against Geno and UConn that they have never backed off on in any way except to say that all maybe should now be peaceable since their coach of the time is facing a tragic illness. This is simply about the fact that Geno has requested a minimal amount of courtesy from UTenn before any interactions between the teams resume, in case he gets stabbed in the back again. Is that so hard to understand?

one post up from mine...I got the reply mech slightly messed up

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
one post up from mine...I got the reply mech slightly messed up
Okay, but fans and the BY take their actions much too seriously about any effects they usually have. Of course, if it was what the Summitteers cobbled together back in 2006, then yeah, occasionally there can be a huge cataclysmic effect, but it takes a coach and AD ready and willing to buy into it.

Reaction Score
Let it go..........It really does not matter who they all play until Marc or April if they get there.....

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I actually don't believe that who plays whom should be a coaches fiefdom in any case
Not ready to propose an alternate
But noses out of joint...I know, I know...they tried to destroy our program
but they failed...and now there's a new coach and new AD.
And its like punishing today's kids for ancient history...like punishing our men's team for the failings of their predecessors, the same argument for the current athletes of that shyster U that begins with North...
Ms.DeShields is right
Play Ball.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well Diamond played and had 12 points against...the Central Arkansas Sugar Bears..

Is the UCA WBB team known as the "Lady Sugar Bears"????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom