Diaco livid post-game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diaco livid post-game

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is this true? Palatine is an author and wrote a book about Star Trek? This is too freaking funny, one of the funniest things I've ever read on the boneyard.
anyone have a title?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know that a large contingent on the Boneyard gets very excited when recruits with multiple stars in their ratings sign on but I think we need to accept that star ratings in football recruiting is far less of an exact science than it is in basketball.

While P brought in better rated recruits than any other head coach, I have a difficult time believing that he brought in better recruits. There were two very highly rated offensive linemen (I believe the two highest rated we've ever landed) who still can't crack the two deep here. They should be sufficient evidence that the ratings system has questionable accuracy.

I said he brought in "some good recruits". It was in response to Pudge's comment about not being able to win with these kids. And PP did in fact bring in good recruits, whether you want to credit him with that or not. I look at the majority of the kids on our roster and I think we can win games with them. We have exciting playmakers, very good size, and a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball. I know that it pains some on this board to give him credit for something, though.

The offensive line has lacked. There's no doubt about it. We've had a couple of busts over the last 4 years. BUT we have also had at least 4 different offensive coordinators with at least 3 different OLine coaches, at the very position that needs the most time to learn a system to get it right. After having said all that, are you really that shocked that our OLine hasn't come together yet???

Reaction Score
The O line has been disappointing, although better than last year. I very much doubt that there is anyone on the bench that will improve the line this year. I did notice that Diaco benched Samra on the field goal team against BYU. When your senor right guard can't block well enough to be on the extra point and field goal team that is not a good thing. Crozier was the best freshman lineman last year so his loss may have hurt our line more than we may know. Although I am not surprise that we haven't pass block very well, this year, I expected better run blocking especially from the right side of the line. The power running has become nonexistent partly due to the line and partly due to Ron Johnson not having a good year. He has made many poor reads and often should be running inside for positive yardage runs instead bouncing outside for loss yardage runs. His one run against BYU the tight end or running back in front of Johnson ( not sure who it was) blocked the BYU linebacker to the outside and Johnson proceeded to run outside right into the BYU linebacker for a 4 yard loss. Maybe Jonson is thinking too much and not running hard enough up the gut.
Despite our problems running, this team may have to run more to succeed. We just do not pass block well enough not to run the ball at least 50% of the game. When there is no threat of a run we really have no chance against defenses as good as the one BYU put of the field. None of our running backs are good pass blockers. Dilorenzo is the best of a poor group and Ron Johnson is the worst. Our offensive line and tight ends are below average pass blockers. After watching South Florida and Tulane play this year we may have to revise our expectations for those games. Both of those teams are not afraid of blitzing on almost every down. I can see both of those games being losses for us unless we fix our blocking problems and have a better way to get the ball into the hands of someone who will make the other team pay for those blitzes. As badly as Johnson has run this year I would still like to see him get more carries and try to establish a power running game. Johnson is only a sophomore with a big upside and the coaches need to get him out of his funk. Newsome of course needs to be on the field just about every play either as a flanker ( we now know he can catch the football) or as running back.
On a positive note, how good was Fatukasi and Newsome Friday night? They were almost worth the price of admission.

Reaction Score
I know that a large contingent on the Boneyard gets very excited when recruits with multiple stars in their ratings sign on but I think we need to accept that star ratings in football recruiting is far less of an exact science than it is in basketball.

While P brought in better rated recruits than any other head coach, I have a difficult time believing that he brought in better recruits. There were two very highly rated offensive linemen (I believe the two highest rated we've ever landed) who still can't crack the two deep here. They should be sufficient evidence that the ratings system has questionable accuracy.

In minor defense of the star system 3 star recruits aren't as good as 4 or 5 star recruits. When we start getting those types of players then we should probably revisit this.

Reaction Score
I had to turn the game off after the first half because I was afraid Shirreffs was going to be carried off the field. Even the commentators often remarked that the o-line is often standing around blocking nobody. At one point in the first half, it looked like WWF body slammed him to the turf after getting to him untouched a split second after getting the snap.

The preseason accolades for the defense were based on practicing against UConns first team offense. Don't forget the QB was a true freshman and BYU was missing their top 3 QB's. Against Missouri UConn was lucky they were also down to their 4th string and lower running backs. Could thing BYU's freshman QB made plenty of mistakes as well as the team or UConn would have been crushed. The commentators said more than once, didn't they watch the Michigan film. Why are they given the receivers so much space?. Even someone as whimpy as me would not have had a problem as a receiver.....if I could catch.

In as much as the coaches made mistakes, the players have to take responsibility for their screw ups. Never, if I under performed at work did my boss come to me and say "that's ok, I love you". My performance evaluation was closer to a verbal warning. When that happens, you buckle up or your gone. So telling he players the truth in loud decibels is fine with me....if it gets their attention and realize the coaches are not happy.

So much for we are going undefeated. I work with a former UConn football player who attends most games and associates with many of the players from 1970's forward, many who were quite accomplished. The consensus is, with few exceptions, the overall talent is slightly better than FCS. That is why they struggle to beat Stony Brook, Villanova, Army, and lose to Buffalo and Townson. ...... and are unable to rack up points against better FBS programs.

The commentators remarked as to how the AAC had some very strong contendors for G-5 playoff spots, and this past weekend the Hartford Courant suggested the AAC had four of the top ten FBS offenses in terms of points per game. The commentators also occasionally remarked how well these teams are doing against P-5 teams ....win or lose. In fact, it was remarked if Memphis lost to Ole Miss, but kept it close, it wouldn't hurt their chances for a playoff spot.

Historically, UConns teams have been ranked very low in terms of recruits. It shows on the field. It has never been a power house. You are what your ingredients indicate........recruits with no other offers, or FCS offers suggests what other coaches think up their potential ceiling.

UConn has a very long way to go.......and is not close to where they should be,,,,,,I agree with HCBD on that point.

I see at least 4-5 more losses.......Cincinnatti, Temple, ECU, Houston, .......UCF, So. Fla will be very close.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
If you want to get real then here's the reality. While we didn't dominate the game statistics we did indeed piss it away.

Pissing it away makes the assumption that we had it to begin with. Which we didn't. This isn't Michgan where we blew a huge lead late.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
You couldn't be more wrong.

I wish I knew what you know. Assuming it is knowable and not blind faith.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Did anyone ever find audio of this post-game interview w/ Diaco? I missed it due to the fact I fell asleep in the 3rd quarter (we weren't doing bad), woke up and game was over and we lost.

Reaction Score
If our line is this bad now, how will benching them in favor of guys who couldn't beat them out in training camp be a better idea? The only one that makes some sense is Samra, who's a senior and hasn't shown much of anything. Wouldn't be opposed to a switch there.

Our punt returner has nothing to do with the ineffectiveness if you pay attention. Half the return team stands in the middle of the field with their thumbs up their a$$es while the coverage team surrounds the returner. Not sure if it's scheme or personnel, but it needs to be fixed and I don't think it matters who is returning until it improves.

And you can't bench half the backfield with how much we run the ball. They need to be better, but making them ride the bench and only using Newsome (who has also been terrible in pass block) will not solve the problem.

Good points. Overall, though, if you do the same thing expect the same result, to your point. I do think this is personnel driven and I do appreciate that maybe the depth simply isn't there to do much. That said there are some guys on the pine that should be given a shot (Oak/Rutherford and I think there are some redshirts to burn?). Many times players emerge off the bench that just perform better live in-game than in drills. As far as the backs are concerned, you just cannot have Max or RJ missing pick-ups and getting BS killed. I'd use Clax and Newsome and let the others sit and get some religion. I've was a big fan of Max early on but after last season's opening fumble and other mishaps I really don't think he is the answer to much, as much as it pains me to say so. In so far as RJ is concerned, I don't see an upside with that kid. Seems to be really struggling to see holes, is tentative and is not very fast or illusive either. The future is Newsome and string receiving corps. Need to find a good quality Fullback like Sherman who can block and pass.

Reaction Score
Did anyone ever find audio of this post-game interview w/ Diaco? I missed it due to the fact I fell asleep in the 3rd quarter (we weren't doing bad), woke up and game was over and we lost.
I'll see what I can do

Reaction Score
Good points. Overall, though, if you do the same thing expect the same result, to your point. I do think this is personnel driven and I do appreciate that maybe the depth simply isn't there to do much. That said there are some guys on the pine that should be given a shot (Oak/Rutherford and I think there are some redshirts to burn?). Many times players emerge off the bench that just perform better live in-game than in drills. As far as the backs are concerned, you just cannot have Max or RJ missing pick-ups and getting BS killed. I'd use Clax and Newsome and let the others sit and get some religion. I've was a big fan of Max early on but after last season's opening fumble and other mishaps I really don't think he is the answer to much, as much as it pains me to say so. In so far as RJ is concerned, I don't see an upside with that kid. Seems to be really struggling to see holes, is tentative and is not very fast or illusive either. The future is Newsome and string receiving corps. Need to find a good quality Fullback like Sherman who can block and pass.
Hope your wrong about Johnson. Time will tell. Its surprising that we haven't used our fullbacks much this year. Maybe that will change this weekend.

Reaction Score

I'm a big fan of letting players off the pine. You would think that Oak would get a series or two. Players often perform above or blow their practice level when put in a game. It's the only way to tell what you got.

Reaction Score
And anyone who makes a statement like that lacks credibility. Not taking the bait bass man.

Disco's record as a head coach is now 5 wins and 15 losses. Are you starting to get it yet? Maybe after another loss to East Carolina it will start to sink in.

Reaction Score
You don't think a starter getting pushed to 3 deep has anything to do with better players coming in?

We need to make a splash on the recruitment fronts at that position (OL).. Personally, I hope we go hard after grad transfers and/or high level JUCO's.. just a couple of guys.... and not just there.. We might need an impact guy at other spots (RB comes to mind.. a BIG back too, not Caulley/Newsome sized)

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You don't think a starter getting pushed to 3 deep has anything to do with better players coming in?
Have they performed any better? I don't think so. So what gives? I think Diaco is playing his guys on offense, with the exception of Thomas at WR and Samra.

Reaction Score
Disco's record as a head coach is now 5 wins and 15 losses. Are you starting to get it yet? Maybe after another loss to East Carolina it will start to sink in.
I like Disco better than Diaco.. he does have the Danny Terrio/John Travolta Saturday Night Fever thing goin on...but his haircut way more business on top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom