Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Palatine

What would YOU win with PP recruits?

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Near the end of the game I noticed the look Diaco had on the sideline and commented that I thought this performance will give him an opportunity to rip the team to get their attention. After preaching peace and love and the positive culture of success he now can be the brutal dictator for a week. Expect some player personnel changes and don't think that tirade wasn't meant for his coordinators to hear also. The play calling was putrid on O and the schemes on D that garnered nothing from the Michigan game, were highly suspect.
^^^^ This. And, HCBD should take an hard look in the mirror as well.

Reaction Score
  • BD looked like he was sporting a 10 pm shadow. Maybe it was evil BD or someone fed him after midnight. We had no business being within 20 let alone leading in the third quarter. There were so many things wrong. It started with the protection and the off coverage. Williams got abused all night and Stewart went back to zone covering no one in particular. But the game turned on the obvious on side kick attempt. You could see Tarbutt scanning the front line of BYU looking for a target spot tipping the play. BYU botched the hands play. Nearly all of our success was a direct result of BYU mistakes.
The three things that did look good were the inside run defense, the deep coverage (non-williams division), and Newsome. Sherriffs may be getting close to Whitmer level PTSD. It looks like it is affecting his play and decision making. I don't think he has any idea how much time he is going to have.

Homework for the week is to figure out a counter to the blitz.

You nailed it. I was shocked to see us playing so soft and passive against a team that couldn't do anything on the ground. That has to be on the coaches. Not knowing where the first down sticks are is inexcusable in third down passing situations. Freshman QB and we give him all day to scan the field? Why!?!

On offense Newsome was/is great but can't carry the offense. We need balance and our efforts to use all our weapons has been spotty at best. And when you know every team sees your pass protection as a huge weakness how can you not prepare to counter blitzes with quick passes and screens? Why would you consistently run on second and long creating a suicide 3rd and long situation.

Finally WTH were the coaches thinking with Shirrefs at the end of the game? He got killed out there and they set him up like a fighter against the ropes for one more defenseless shot. That was pointless and the young man deserves an apology for such terrible judgement.

We have a long way to go and I'm OK with Coach's frustration, but it needs to extend to guys inside and outside the lines. I hope Bryant is OK but this may impact the rest of his season.

Reaction Score
The only good thing that PP did was hire Don Brown. Everything else was an embarassment and we were all warned by fruit fans.

If Diaco's 3rd year is comparable to PPs' third year, I will drive that perfect hair to the airport myself, but I'd put those odds at 1%.

That being said, Diaco is far from perfect and he needs to do a better job with the offense. The one good thing is that we are only losing one current starter on offense next year, and we get a starting C back. One would hope that the offense would be a year smarter, faster and stronger and maybe someone on the sideline improves enough to step in and help with the O-line as well.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The tirade is awesome. He has nurtured the team for 16 games. Take off the training pants and rip them a new one. It's time to realize that we are here to win. He is pulling out all of the stops, playing to win. It's time for the team to do the same collectively. I think the timing is perfect. We are entering a critical 5 game stretch. It is not out of the question that we could come out of this stretch with 4 wins. But it ain't happening with players kicking the ball into the stands, making lookout blocks or coaches not getting plays in quick enough.

Reaction Score
Why do you guys take this guy's bait? He is deliberately obtuse, never played a down of football in his life and thinks that because he wrote a book about Star Trek he knows about football. I notice he never quotes the Boyle stats anymore. Could a poster have ever been more wrong and not admit it? I have him on ignore. It's much more relaxing on here since I did so
It's not bait, it is as legitimate as any rosy scenario. And speaking of Boyle, you preferred Whitmer, WTF. Whitmer lead the team to 2-10. That's your hero? That is suppose to make sense?

I've had enough happy talk. The only thing I care about is what happens on the field. I keep heariing how much we're improving. Well Bob, show me something.

P/S. I have a business book coming out in November. It available for pre-order now.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks UConn football will ever be good while Diaco is the head coach is setting themselves up to be disappointed.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Palatine

What would YOU win with PP recruits?

I don't agree with this at all. One of the very few things that PP did was to get some good recruits. He just couldn't coach them. I think that Diaco is slowly proving that they can be coached and they can produce some real nice results.

I'm loving watching players like Newsome, Thomas, Jh. Williams, Summers, Carrezola, Myers, Campenni, Bloom, Fatukasi, Joseph, Myers, Ormsby, Walsh, and Obi, to name the bigger names from PP's classes. There are others that I think are going to be good with time too, like Hopkins, etc. We've got playmakers. We've got defense. We just don't have our offensive line. I'm hoping that our OL can continue to grow and get better...

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It was a winnable game, but we got outgained 500 yards to 200. I think we were lucky to be tied in the 4th quarter. BYU made more mistakes than we did. They were just more athletic and could overcome more self-inflicted mistakes.

No one is more tired of mistakes than I am. But let's get real. We did not dominate the game and piss it away.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear Diaco ticked off, although that demeanor is pretty shocking coming from him.

So no more "peace and love?"

Maybe bench some ineffective Offensive lineman this week.

Reaction Score
The main problem with this team that isn't going to get any better this year is the offensive line. As long as they're ineffective our offense will continue to sputter at times. This won't be rectified until next season when Diaco's guys (Crozier, Oak and Rutherford) are starting at LG, C & RG respectively.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The main problem with this team that isn't going to get any better this year is the offensive line. As long as they're ineffective our offense will continue to sputter at times. This won't be rectified until next season when Diaco's guys (Crozier, Oak and Rutherford) are starting at LG, C & RG respectively.
If Oak and Rutherford are the future, why aren't they starting now? Hopkins is a sophomore. Samra needs to be replaced and right now, Rutherford is a tackle, not a guard. SO, who replaces him? I think Crozier goes to his spot.

Reaction Score
As has been stated, our OL seems to be the biggest problem. In my humble opinion, if we had a good OL we probably would be 4-0. That to me tells me there has been considerable progress as a team. The OL is probably the toughest unit to get to gel, especially when there was a couple of years of minimal strength and conditioning.

My fear is the OL that we currently have does not have the final pieces yet and that means another year or two of "growth".

Reaction Score
If I'm Diaco, I:
bench Levy (just terrible OL pass blocker),
demote ADams from Captain (can't be a leader and make behaviors mistakes that cause the team to lose)
bench Stewart - perpetually out of position
Find new punter returner and disallow another fair catch all season
Sit - Max - missed pass block pickups, Johnson for sleep walking

And tell rest of the Oline if the miss another assignment they will be pulled and riding the pine. Every o-lineman needs to protect BS like his life depended on it. I'd rather see holding than the QB get hit.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If I'm Diaco, I:
bench Levy (just terrible OL pass blocker),
demote ADams from Captain (can't be a leader and make behaviors mistakes that cause the team to lose)
bench Stewart - perpetually out of position
Find new punter returner and disallow another fair catch all season
Sit - Max - missed pass block pickups, Johnson for sleep walking

And tell rest of the Oline if the miss another assignment they will be pulled and riding the pine. Every o-lineman needs to protect BS like his life depended on it. I'd rather see holding than the QB get hit.

How many game-ready offensive linemen do you think we have on the bench? Just wondering.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This team is great at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Reaction Score
How many game-ready offensive linemen do you think we have on the bench? Just wondering.
We have some younger guys that need to get inserted. There has to be consequences for missing assignments.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It does feel like there needs to be some lineup changes....even if it is just for the sake of change. Levy seems like the obvious move, but changing Tackles mid season is tough.

Reaction Score
If Oak and Rutherford are the future, why aren't they starting now? Hopkins is a sophomore. Samra needs to be replaced and right now, Rutherford is a tackle, not a guard. SO, who replaces him? I think Crozier goes to his spot.
As has been stated, our OL seems to be the biggest problem. In my humble opinion, if we had a good OL we probably would be 4-0. That to me tells me there has been considerable progress as a team. The OL is probably the toughest unit to get to gel, especially when there was a couple of years of minimal strength and conditioning.

My fear is the OL that we currently have does not have the final pieces yet and that means another year or two of "growth".

Agreed, there is going to be patience required. It is unlikely that next year, as fifth year seniors, both Knappe and Levy become dominant tackles

Reaction Score

Oak still needs to put on a little more weight and I would guess Rutherford isn't starting at G because if he were to get injured our tackle depth would be instantly depleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom