depth chart | Page 4 | The Boneyard

depth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Boyle fiasco lands squarely at Warde's feet. that was a ticket sales decision. And it was bad for the kid, bad for the team and may well have blown a redshirt year. No way on this earth was Boyle ready to step onto a college football field in game conditions. That little experiment was just a waste for everyone involved. Cochran, as jdb50 points out, came in and produced touchdowns, a couple with very sweet plays, late in some games. Even though it was with the B-squad agaisnt B-squad, he just looked far more competent. I thought he looked nervous early against SMU, but settled down after that and delivered the rest of the way until the late pick 6 which happened in desperation time. he got us back in it, but the killer was Wagner's 14 yard punt from deep in our end.

I just want to add here that I was not a Cochran fan in the least. I saw him a couple of times in high school and was unimpressed, saw him in the blue-white games and they confirmed my original thinking. I thought he was there soley to please the high School coaches. But in the games he played, you could just see the whole team play better when he took the field. he made plays, he stepped up when he should have, he knew what he was doing. He showed confidence and leadership even when it was in blow outs. Had he played rather than Boyle, I think we had at least 1, maybe 2 more Ws. No guarantees for sure, but he was that much better.
Of all your insane conspiracies, this may take the cake.

"Paul, I know you are struggling, and you are fighting to keep your job. You probably want the best guy to play BUT I'm going to step in and overrule you here, you are going to play Boyle, we need butts in seats. He's a local kid. What's that? Casey is too? No... You are still going to play Boyle. Butts in seats." - Warde Manuel, according to freescooter.

Rinse and repeat for TJW. Just mind boggling.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Really makes you wonder what kind of S&C program went on before Balis. Twinkee lifts? Nap times? I'm excited to see the difference in 2nd half of games. There were too many games for my liking that our D was noticeably gassed by the end of the 3rd Q of games under the old regime.
Could not agree more, the 4th quarter was hard enough to watch with them constantly trailing but seeing the obvious conditioning gap made it that much worse.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Of all your insane conspiracies, this may take the cake.

"Paul, I know you are struggling, and you are fighting to keep your job. You probably want the best guy to play BUT I'm going to step in and overrule you here, you are going to play Boyle, we need butts in seats. He's a local kid. What's that? Casey is too? No... You are still going to play Boyle. Butts in seats." - Warde Manuel, according to freescooter.

Rinse and repeat for TJW. Just mind boggling.
I had said the same thing. You really have to hate WM to come up with that one.

Reaction Score
@EdDaigneault: Diaco says Michael Boland has been moved from tight end to DE.

@NHRJimFuller: Michael Boland, who worked out at tight end during his redshirt season, is moving to DE for #UConn

Like this move, Boland put up huge sack and tackles for loss numbers in high school, he should have been a D lineman from day 1. The defensive line needed help.

As far as tight end goes, if we are weak at that position just play a lot of 4 wr sets, we are loaded at wr.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As far as tight end goes, if we are weak at that position just play a lot of 4 wr sets, we are loaded at wr.

Quinn Thompson - out... Hashemi/Bloom - in.

Shelton's Hashemi off to a good start at UConn
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/08/sheltons-hashemi-off-to-good-start-at.html

>>Diaco was asked whether they had enough depth at tight end after redshirt freshman Quinn Thompson (the leading receiver with five catches in the spring game) left the program, he had nothing but good things to say about former St. Joseph High of Trumbull star Steve Hashemi. The 6-foot-6, 262-pound Hashemi was the first player to commit to UConn after Diaco was hired and he has been impressive enough that redshirt freshman Michael Boland was shifted to defensive end.

"Alec Bloom, we are taking a look at (as a tight end)," Diaco said. "I have to watch the tape but to me it looked pretty good today (with) Steve Hashemi at tight end so we are excited about those guys. We moved Michael Boland out of there, back to the position that he came here to play and he is very excited about it.We feel good about the tight end position. I am looking forward to seeing and hear how Steve did today but if he is able to be functioning there, (we would be) walking off the bus (with four) pretty good-looking guys."<<

>>"We see him (Hashemi), even still as an offensive linemen," Diaco said. "I have explained how we roll. I explained how we want to do our business, we want to create formations that can overwhelm the defense at the point of attack so that wouldn't be off base to take a young athletic offensive tackle that probably wouldn't be able to participate at offensive tackle and see if he can do some tight end jobs that look a little like offensive tackle jobs in a tight end jersey."<<

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Boyle fiasco lands squarely at Warde's feet. that was a ticket sales decision. And it was bad for the kid, bad for the team and may well have blown a redshirt year. No way on this earth was Boyle ready to step onto a college football field in game conditions. That little experiment was just a waste for everyone involved. Cochran, as jdb50 points out, came in and produced touchdowns, a couple with very sweet plays, late in some games. Even though it was with the B-squad agaisnt B-squad, he just looked far more competent. I thought he looked nervous early against SMU, but settled down after that and delivered the rest of the way until the late pick 6 which happened in desperation time. he got us back in it, but the killer was Wagner's 14 yard punt from deep in our end.

I just want to add here that I was not a Cochran fan in the least. I saw him a couple of times in high school and was unimpressed, saw him in the blue-white games and they confirmed my original thinking. I thought he was there soley to please the high School coaches. But in the games he played, you could just see the whole team play better when he took the field. he made plays, he stepped up when he should have, he knew what he was doing. He showed confidence and leadership even when it was in blow outs. Had he played rather than Boyle, I think we had at least 1, maybe 2 more Ws. No guarantees for sure, but he was that much better.

Your wrong. From all I have been told that Casey Cochran had practice issues as is he didn't practice well. That is why Boyle was given the chance, though I wish they didn't and he was redshirted

Reaction Score
Your post would have been better served if you stopped right here.

No doubt that the recruiting process (as I understand it) s.u.c.k.s. but it is what it is. It's a fluid process and needs change. I couldn't care much less if a player withholds his commitment. That is his right, and frankly, his rights more or less end once he presses the green button on the fax machine.

The fact remains that there is politics and favoritism everywhere and in this particular case, it clashed with (what I perceived was) a sense of entitlement. I believe there were a couple of other things a play as well. The family may have been able to read between the lines and sensed the discontent with the former regime and conclude they were not going to be there much longer. With that, they could have determined the uncertainty was too great (Does the AD bring in a Spread coach?). They could have also used that to their advantage (i.e. Let the local kids fall on their face with the outgoing regime and redshirt. Then shine for the new staff with all 4 years of eligibility). Who knows, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

Regarding the team we have today, I am unsure what skill sets Whitmer has that Casey doesn't. They are both 6 foot pocket passers, but Cochran may have a little more mobility (and by a little, I mean the slightest hair). I think they should make every attempt to redshirt Boyle. Not only for the good of the team but for his own development. I am hoping against hope that he was not broken by those 4 games last year. In the end I will be on the 30 yard line (press box side, nearest the video board) applauding the team on the field, admittedly with higher expectations than I should have.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. My view of what happened in camp was based on conversations with the player and parent, as well as after doubting them, watching it unfold as I was told it would. It's not my personal opinion which is what you seem to be representing as fact. And I think I'll decide when to end my posts, thanks.

But I can agree the focus should be on the here and now, so the above is the last I will say about it.

I think Casey should be our starter and I'm looking forward to the beginning of the Diaco era!

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyone on the board who would be upset if Casey is named the starter. Literally, I don't think there is even one person. But there is going to be a new philosophy, with a new line, a new OC, and a new HC. And all of that is going to play into the decision of who starts the first game. At risk of sounding like a homer, In Diaco I Trust...

BD is doing what any good coach taking over a losing program does. He's telling his players that they are each a clean sheet of paper. The past, good or bad, no longer exists and playing time will be dependent on player performance in the new UCONN FB environment. He then backed up his words by "firing" those that didn't measure-up including a three-time leading rusher and former freshman All-American. My guess is that his actions got the teams attention. It seems everyone has bought in.

BD wants to win. To that end, he's going to play the the players he feels give him the best chance. That's every position and every player; including QB. Self preservation is a hell of a motivator. It's obvious that BD doesn't see himself as career Coordinator.

pj

Reaction Score
The fact remains that there is politics and favoritism everywhere and in this particular case, it clashed with (what I perceived was) a sense of entitlement. I believe there were a couple of other things a play as well. The family may have been able to read between the lines and sensed the discontent with the former regime and conclude they were not going to be there much longer. With that, they could have determined the uncertainty was too great (Does the AD bring in a Spread coach?). They could have also used that to their advantage (i.e. Let the local kids fall on their face with the outgoing regime and redshirt. Then shine for the new staff with all 4 years of eligibility). Who knows, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

Regarding the team we have today, I am unsure what skill sets Whitmer has that Casey doesn't. They are both 6 foot pocket passers, but Cochran may have a little more mobility (and by a little, I mean the slightest hair). I think they should make every attempt to redshirt Boyle. Not only for the good of the team but for his own development. I am hoping against hope that he was not broken by those 4 games last year. In the end I will be on the 30 yard line (press box side, nearest the video board) applauding the team on the field, admittedly with higher expectations than I should have.

The first part is wrong. The relationship between that certain player and PPGDL was poisoned in the lead-up to national signing day. There was an attempt at reconciliation and he showed up on campus briefly, but he clearly didn't want to play for PP. If he had known PP would be fired a few games in, maybe he stays. But he definitely wasn't comfortable under PP. And it wasn't just the conviction that there would be favoritism to local players.

Reaction Score
That was an interesting summer, Holines and Jasodowich<sp> left early too. Curious how Holines develops.

Reaction Score
From all I have been told Casey Cochran had practice issues as is he didn't practice well. That is why Boyle was given the chance, though I wish they didn't and he was redshirted

Yes, but it would be folly to believe that parents who want their QB son to play don't often try to influence that decision. And there are expectations and promises etc that are often made by coaches. But in the end here's the truncated reality.

1. Why wasn't Casey playing before the desperation of the final three games?
Truth is he was a poor practice player. The other guys looked better.

2. Why was Tim's redshirt burned? Was he ready?
Truth is TJ wanted him to stay a redshirt but PP had trumpeted Tim as the starter to try and resurrect the floundering season (and save his job) and too much publicity and raising of expectations had gone on to turn off that switch. Considering the caliber of the opposition it was probably asking too much of him.

3. What about Chandler?
Great kid with lots of talent. Can make all the throws. Turnovers hurt him but many weren't his fault.

4. What's the most important attribute a QB can have? Strong arm? Command of the playbook? Foot speed? Escapability?
Given that QB's recruited at this level have one or more of those, the key is leadership. Does the team believe in the guy and do they want to fight for him. Casey certainly displayed that at year end.

I have infinitely more respect for this coaching staff. There will be a fair competition and all of the elements will be weighed. Lots of things have to go right for a team to jell. Cohesiveness, a sense of collective purpose, mutual respect, brotherhood, understanding of the playbook, attention to detail, a belief in the wisdom of the coaches, a strong sense of team discipline, captains who command respect and deliver the message, etc.

Its a complex process with lots of moving parts but I'll be watching to see how far we've come in reducing the indecisiveness, the multiple sideline glances, the instances of running the wrong route or hitting the wrong gap, the delays of game and false starts. That says a lot about whether the team is tuned in and serious about winning. Unlike the PP years when we simply waited for the inevitable screwup, I'm expecting just the opposite under BD. Can't wait for BYU!

Reaction Score
Nostical, don't forget the too many men in the huddle, I couldn't believe the fire drill every substitution change became. Cure that and have less false starts and we get Bowl eligible right there.:)

Reaction Score
There was a delay of game penalty coming out of a time out, where you just knew the game had passed these guys by.

Reaction Score
And these guys are being taught how to do things right. So when the inevitable mistake happens they all know what happened and can go on and execute the next play with confidence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I keep debating whether to join the who should be QB fray. What the heck, it's Monday. My preference would be to regain TB's RS year, so that leaves me with Casey and Whitmer. And, by the way, just so I am clear the AD forced the staff to play TB and TJ relented. Got it. Those of us who have some recall of the O after 4 games last year and also presume TJW was a man before he ran out on the field in December in short sleeves, might choose to think otherwise. I think TB is exactly what HCBD wants down the road, a big, strong armed passer who can see over the trees he is recruiting up front, but I would prefer that development begin in full in 15, with 3 years to grow.

That leaves 2. For 2 years I have wanted to see Whitmer shine. And he does, at times. And then, he does something stupid. His arm is not that strong, his feet not that quick, and he holds on to the ball too long. And then he inevitably tries the impossible, at least for this squad. Let's be honest, every possession counts this year. We need time of possession, long drives, and mistake-free football. I am at a point where I don't trust Whitmer to deliver that.

The last 2 games were really fun. They put a smile back on the fan of UConn faces and led us all to believe there was hope. But they were 2 games. CC was not so good against SMU, not good against Temple, and mop up duty means you're playing against 2d and 3d stringers, so I give less credit there. Like Whitmer, he is small, does not possess a strong arm, and is slow. But he gets rid of the ball quickly, is accurate, and showed poise that was off the charts at the end of the year. If he can continue to do that, he should get the nod in 14.

And that would be how HCBD plays 2 QBs. Let CC start, but give CW some reps., both to keep him ready and to reward him for coming back. And let TB sit and learn. And, go find another QB to come in next year (transfer or recruit), as we need to rebuild depth at the position.

Reaction Score
I keep debating whether to join the who should be QB fray. What the heck, it's Monday. My preference would be to regain TB's RS year, so that leaves me with Casey and Whitmer. And, by the way, just so I am clear the AD forced the staff to play TB and TJ relented. Got it. Those of us who have some recall of the O after 4 games last year and also presume TJW was a man before he ran out on the field in December in short sleeves, might choose to think otherwise. I think TB is exactly what HCBD wants down the road, a big, strong armed passer who can see over the trees he is recruiting up front, but I would prefer that development begin in full in 15, with 3 years to grow.

That leaves 2. For 2 years I have wanted to see Whitmer shine. And he does, at times. And then, he does something stupid. His arm is not that strong, his feet not that quick, and he holds on to the ball too long. And then he inevitably tries the impossible, at least for this squad. Let's be honest, every possession counts this year. We need time of possession, long drives, and mistake-free football. I am at a point where I don't trust Whitmer to deliver that.

The last 2 games were really fun. They put a smile back on the fan of UConn faces and led us all to believe there was hope. But they were 2 games. CC was not so good against SMU, not good against Temple, and mop up duty means you're playing against 2d and 3d stringers, so I give less credit there. Like Whitmer, he is small, does not possess a strong arm, and is slow. But he gets rid of the ball quickly, is accurate, and showed poise that was off the charts at the end of the year. If he can continue to do that, he should get the nod in 14.

And that would be how HCBD plays 2 QBs. Let CC start, but give CW some reps., both to keep him ready and to reward him for coming back. And let TB sit and learn. And, go find another QB to come in next year (transfer or recruit), as we need to rebuild depth at the position.
We have to remember that CW is probably one concussion away from prolonged bench time due to that brilliant wideout play called by gdl from the booth last year. OL has to protect, protect and protect who ever wins the starting roll.
GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Agreed with the TB and Whitmer points. Disagree on CC vs Temple - leading that ragged bunch to a win was no small feat.

Reaction Score
The only thing I will say about the QBs is that CC was the only one of the three that when he had pressure in his face, didn't make matters worse by dropping back further. He stepped up in the pocket buying himself an extra .5 second to get rid of the ball. That is kinda rare in young QBs. Early on in his career, I think it is the one thing that distinguished Tom Brady from many NFL QBs. The league has really adopted this. Not comparing CC to Brady. Just that he is kid that is polished beyond what his physical capabilities would seem to dictate that he could accomplish. Just appears to think the game better.

Reaction Score
In CC I trust... This kid was the only one of the 3 that showed the 'it' factor... I understand each kid has something but CC did it in live action. I don't see what either of the CW or TB can convince me that their the better option for us right now. IMO, not even close... And we'll see that in a few weeks HCBD will name CC his guy.. My belief, my opinion. IF that doesn't happen, then, to me, that position again becomes an even bigger question mark...

QB is a funny position guys. Either you have it or you don't. CC has proven he does... Yes, he can always get better, as well he should, but his ability supercedes the others on our squad... Again my feelings... Just look at the tape...

Reaction Score
Agreed with the TB and Whitmer points. Disagree on CC vs Temple - leading that ragged bunch to a win was no small feat.

Again, I dont want to sound like i am bashing the kid, b/c I am not and will not. What we saw in last 2 games, was just pure fun. But he completed 8 passes against Temple. 8. For a little over 100 yards. the D won that game - from the willman play before the half to the Smallwood TD.

I think he starts this year. But I think it'll be because HCBD will treasure possessions and most would like to see TB regain his RS (and provide separation in eleigibilty between TB and CC).

Reaction Score
Casey made throws that I have not see since Dan O. The one to D Bradley for a TD against RU (I think) was really nice. It arrived as he made the break. No chance for the DB - none. Granted he did get more protection than CW and the competition not as good but man he threw it there.

Will be interesting to see if he is more mobile with the weight loss and training.

Reaction Score
Again, I dont want to sound like i am bashing the kid, b/c I am not and will not. What we saw in last 2 games, was just pure fun. But he completed 8 passes against Temple. 8. For a little over 100 yards. the D won that game - from the willman play before the half to the Smallwood TD.

I think he starts this year. But I think it'll be because HCBD will treasure possessions and most would like to see TB regain his RS (and provide separation in eleigibilty between TB and CC).

The first half of that game was just god awful on both sides of the ball, 21 pts down at the half and we won. Casey played a huge part of that along with Smallwood carrying the D. From that point on they realized they can win, and did. Watch the Rutgers game, completely different team, attitude and posture, one mistake or being down didn't mean the end of the world they fought and prevailed. They need to carry that over and I think that's what HCBD is making sure of first and foremost.

2 1/2 weeks to prep week, 3 1/2 weeks to game time!

Reaction Score
Casey made throws that I have not see since Dan O. The one to D Bradley for a TD against RU (I think) was really nice. It arrived as he made the break. No chance for the DB - none. Granted he did get more protection than CW and the competition not as good but man he threw it there.

Will be interesting to see if he is more mobile with the weight loss and training.

He might've had more protection as you say, but there's no denying CC's decision making is a little quicker than CW's

Reaction Score

I'm going to quibble a bit on some of your points.

First, I think that your observations about Whitmer are correct, at least as they pertain to arm strength and decision-making. I think his foot speed is better than people realize, though, and that PP and GDL were on him not to abandon the pocket and try to run. Let's not downplay the issue of shell-shock with Whitmer, either.

Don't underrate CC's performance against second-stringers, particularly vs. Louisville. They had a smattering of first string guys still in the game, and they were teeing off on him with pass rushers, trying to keep us from scoring a touchdown. CC managed that drive very well.

Against Temple it's tough to say he was or wasn't good. We went very conservative in that game. He only threw it 6 times in the second half. SMU wasn't nearly as bad as you say. His two picks were late in desperation time. He was very good for most of that game.

I think that if Boyle can solve his accuracy issues, he is the prototype that the staff is looking for. For now, I think the fairly obvious choice is Cochran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom