depth chart | Page 3 | The Boneyard

depth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Boyle fiasco lands squarely at Warde's feet. that was a ticket sales decision. And it was bad for the kid, bad for the team and may well have blown a redshirt year. No way on this earth was Boyle ready to step onto a college football field in game conditions. That little experiment was just a waste for everyone involved. Cochran, as jdb50 points out, came in and produced touchdowns, a couple with very sweet plays, late in some games. Even though it was with the B-squad agaisnt B-squad, he just looked far more competent. I thought he looked nervous early against SMU, but settled down after that and delivered the rest of the way until the late pick 6 which happened in desperation time. he got us back in it, but the killer was Wagner's 14 yard punt from deep in our end.

I just want to add here that I was not a Cochran fan in the least. I saw him a couple of times in high school and was unimpressed, saw him in the blue-white games and they confirmed my original thinking. I thought he was there soley to please the high School coaches. But in the games he played, you could just see the whole team play better when he took the field. he made plays, he stepped up when he should have, he knew what he was doing. He showed confidence and leadership even when it was in blow outs. Had he played rather than Boyle, I think we had at least 1, maybe 2 more Ws. No guarantees for sure, but he was that much better.
That's odd because last year you stated that you didn't have a problem with it if the staff felt he was better option.

Reaction Score
Oh my - if Casey isnt named the starting QB many on this board are going to implode and explode! (It will be fun to watch and become an instant classic - BY material for years to come!) I want what is best for UConn FB but half of me wants HCBD to choose Whitmer -

We pay an experienced football coach good money - let the man make the call and live with the decision.

GO TEAM!!

I will live with it. And criticize it if I see fit.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I loved Diaco's response at Media Days about the QB battle... When asked about if he's watched any film from last year's games from the 3 QB's and if that will affect his decision making on who will get the start week 1. He siad "No I haven't, and absolutly not."

That's hard to believe, but hey- its a whole new year. The 3 of these kids have matured I'm sure, changed, gotten better, etc.

My guy is saying Whitmer gets the start week 1, and we may see Cochren in as well. Boyle is going to be really good I think, last year bringing him in when they did was a mess and a mistake created by FHCP... but that's another story!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My guy is saying Whitmer gets the start week 1, and we may see Cochren in as well!

That is what my gut's telling me, too. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I loved the way that Casey took this team by the scruff of the neck and killed it last year. On the other hand, I really do feel that Whitmer has the better skill set. And I am chomping at the bit to see him play behind a Foley-led line. We'll see how it goes...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He's trying to change the culture; He absolutely needs the team to hear him say "I'm not looking at last year." At the same time, he's negligent if his staff hasn't pored over every second of film, to evaluate position technique, if nothing else. I appreciate the passion common on this board but until he's proven otherwise, we should just assume HCBD knows what he's doing and let him do it. To my mind, the idea that last years performance will not be decisive in determining this years starters is on point.

Reaction Score
sdhusky said:
Well, I too was impressed by the numbers Casey put up in the last game against sh&tty team that had clearly given up. But, I suppose, he may have to do it again against a decent team before we make him All-AAC.

I still don't get why Casey leading us to wins over 3 crappy AAC teams, including a record setting performance, while limiting turnovers and getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds play after play doesn't matter. Our other guys couldn't beat Towson and Buffalo and got picked off every quarter. It's mind boggling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still don't get why Casey leading us to wins over 3 crappy AAC teams, including a record setting performance, while limiting turnovers and getting rid of the ball in 2 seconds play after play doesn't matter. Our other guys couldn't beat Towson and Buffalo and got picked off every quarter. It's mind boggling.

One of those wins was against our arch rival Rutgers and they would have been 7-5 had they beaten us. That was a big win against a quality opponent trying to become bowl eligible. Not picking on you, everybody is downplaying that win for some reason. This board makes up its own facts sometimes.

Rutgers not a big win. OK folks, whatever you say.

BTW all three wins were come from behind wins, two in the 4th quarter, even Memphis which according to this board laid down was beating us at the end of the 1st quarter.

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

It may, in fact matter some. It's just not our business to know. Try getting instead, why Diaco will say the things he needs the team to hear rather than trying to simultaneously placate half the BY while pissing off the other half.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, considering Whitmer lost to Towsen and Buffalo, it's kinda a push talent wise for opponents.

Diaco specifically said turnovers put your butt on the bench. That's been Whitmer's downfall.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
One of those wins was against our arch rival Rutgers and they would have been 7-5 had they beaten us. That was a big win against a quality opponent trying to become bowl eligible. Not picking on you, everybody is downplaying that win for some reason. This board makes up its own facts sometimes.

Rutgers not a big win. OK folks, whatever you say.

Rutgers was a good win. Plus, they're Rutgers. Plus, as HCRE used to say, you only get 12 or 13 chances to win a game in a season -- they're all big.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Well, considering Whitmer lost to Towsen and Buffalo, it's kinda a push talent wise for opponents.

Diaco specifically said turnovers put your butt on the bench. That's been Whitmer's downfall.

I like Casey and want him to start.

But Whitmer had to play behind a GDL line and a PP game plan. Joe Namath would struggle with 'ers

Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
One of those wins was against our arch rival Rutgers and they would have been 7-5 had they beaten us. That was a big win against a quality opponent. Not picking on you, everybody is downplaying that win for some reason. This board makes up its own facts sometimes. Rutgers not a big win. OK folks, whatever you say.
I totally agree. I'm throwing the naysayers that bone. Good, bad, mediocre opponents,no matter, Casey won 3 games. UConn won three games. Nobody else could win a game and frankly, no one else looked anywhere near as good. Casey moved the ball and took care of it. He doesn't have a lot of velocity on the ball and that's why people question him. The thing is, he puts the ball exactly where he intends to over and over again. His accuracy negates that "problem". Further, he sees the field much faster than the other guys do. If someone else starts, that's fine with me. I hope that guy does great and wins a lot of games. But, if he doesn't I'll be wondering why we sat the guy that ended last year on a 3 game win streak and did it with huge numbers. It seems like a much better gamble to leave Casey in and see if he keeps rolling than it does to start over and then have to bring him in weeks later if the new guy fails. I want to beat BYU, not see what Chandler can do and hope we beat them. All this said, I understand that coach is bringing in his system and his coaches and he is going to do what he sees fit. I don't have a problem with it, I just hope he agrees with me on this issue because I like Casey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That doesn't make sense. They could have said the same thing about Cochran, who had 12 more games experience. If what they say about Cochran is true (Cochran is a better game QB than practice QB), Boyle beat him out. I think the plan to eventually start Boyle was afoot before the Michigan game, but Buffalo cemented it. They never planned (stupidly) to redshirt Boyle.

I think if memory serves, a certain players father pointed out that the decision to play the local prototype kid was decided before the season started and he got cruxcified for suggesting it. The "competition" for the position never happened. If Chandler couldn't get it going Boyle was coming in at some point.

All in the past, if production and minimizing turnovers truly matter Casey will be the starter, if HCBD can't see it, well...

Reaction Score
Oh my - if Casey isnt named the starting QB many on this board are going to implode and explode! (It will be fun to watch and become an instant classic - BY material for years to come!) I want what is best for UConn FB but half of me wants HCBD to choose Whitmer -

We pay an experienced football coach good money - let the man make the call and live with the decision.

GO TEAM!!

Listen, I want to win in week one and every game after that. I am sick of losing and being ridiculed Nationally. Whoever Coach Diaco starts I will be cheering him on. If I had to pick one guy who would improve the most in the off season from a physical standpoint it is Boyle. But based on decision making and production in the crap show of last year Casey performed. I expect him to win the battle in camp. His father was always successful and he has taken that in and learned from it. Nobody gave those last 3 wins to him or us last year

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyone on the board who would be upset if Casey is named the starter. Literally, I don't think there is even one person. But there is going to be a new philosophy, with a new line, a new OC, and a new HC. And all of that is going to play into the decision of who starts the first game. At risk of sounding like a homer, In Diaco I Trust...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My other concern about Whitmer is the concussions. Thanks to the offensive offensive schemes of the previous regime, he is, through no fault of his own, one small hit away. The aformentioned Denny's frequent customers increased his vulnerability to contact that occurs on every play.

Reaction Score

You have have to give some credit to the defense and coaching staff for those 2 losses. Whitmer's stat line was not bad against Towson, but you would expect more against an fcs opponent. 74 points given up and double digit total sacks in 2 games. Lots of blame to go around, but the root cause was Ppgdl.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think if memory serves, a certain players father pointed out that the decision to play the local prototype kid was decided before the season started and he got cruxcified for suggesting it. The "competition" for the position never happened. If Chandler couldn't get it going Boyle was coming in at some point.

All in the past, if production and minimizing turnovers truly matter Casey will be the starter, if HCBD can't see it, well...
I reject that on principal.

If I recall correctly, a Certain Player's father seemed hacked that a Certain Player was hacked off that a Certain Player was not the only recruit at a Certain Player's position in a given year. I got the impression after a while that a Certain Player was under his own impression that he would walk on campus and start as a true freshman at lil' ol' poor UConn.

Politics and favoritism occur in every walk of life, which influences "competition." One creates their own opportunity through action. A Certain Player made a decision. He was not forced off the team. For whatever reason, he left on his own accord.

Reaction Score

If I recall correctly, a Certain Player's father seemed hacked that a Certain Player was hacked off that a Certain Player was not the only recruit at a Certain Player's position in a given year. I got the impression after a while that a Certain Player was under his own impression that he would walk on campus and start as a true freshman at lil' ol' poor UConn.

Politics and favoritism occur in every walk of life, which influences "competition." One creates their own opportunity through action. A Certain Player made a decision. He was not forced off the team. For whatever reason, he left on his own accord.

I will always wonder if a certain player played because a certain HC wanted to burn a redshirt and make it less likely a certain player would transfer. Or I could be wearing a tin foil cap.

Reaction Score
Here is my depth chart behind the depth chart.
HCBD - A proven winner who has made good on his promises over the last 7 months:
  • Hired a top staff in two weeks.
  • Marshaled that staff so that in 2 months lock in existing recruits and bring in new ones.
  • Bring in a top SC coach and begin the process of physically and mentally turning this program around.
  • Recruit "his" type of player for 2015. Big, strong, smart, leaders who can't wait to play for him.
Key coaching support:
  • Patterson - the Mentor. BD completely trusts him. Head coaching experience. A great person to bounce ideas off of.
  • Foley - the Bridge. Great OL coach. Knows the team can teach and is the key to getting our inexperienced OL working together early in the season.
This is not just another coaching change. This staff is already making a difference for the team, and the media.

Draw a straight line from 12/19/2013 to Jan 2015 and I think we will see the BD trend continue and bring the next level of exciting competitive football to UCONN that we have all been waiting for.

Reaction Score

That was part of the recruiting process, and I still believe that the multiple qb's played a big part, but when you are told they are taking one and three sign it would piss anyone off. He stuck until it was clear the pecking order was predetermined. Which is what I was referring to, but thanks for wearing your heart on your sleeve, it wasn't even close to what he thought but whatever makes you feel better. Funny how it played out exactly as he claimed and it's still called out as bs.

I rewatched the Rutgers game last night, if Casey doesn't start they better be right about who does.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was part of the recruiting process.

Your post would have been better served if you stopped right here.

No doubt that the recruiting process (as I understand it) s.u.c.k.s. but it is what it is. It's a fluid process and needs change. I couldn't care much less if a player withholds his commitment. That is his right, and frankly, his rights more or less end once he presses the green button on the fax machine.

The fact remains that there is politics and favoritism everywhere and in this particular case, it clashed with (what I perceived was) a sense of entitlement. I believe there were a couple of other things a play as well. The family may have been able to read between the lines and sensed the discontent with the former regime and conclude they were not going to be there much longer. With that, they could have determined the uncertainty was too great (Does the AD bring in a Spread coach?). They could have also used that to their advantage (i.e. Let the local kids fall on their face with the outgoing regime and redshirt. Then shine for the new staff with all 4 years of eligibility). Who knows, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

Regarding the team we have today, I am unsure what skill sets Whitmer has that Casey doesn't. They are both 6 foot pocket passers, but Cochran may have a little more mobility (and by a little, I mean the slightest hair). I think they should make every attempt to redshirt Boyle. Not only for the good of the team but for his own development. I am hoping against hope that he was not broken by those 4 games last year. In the end I will be on the 30 yard line (press box side, nearest the video board) applauding the team on the field, admittedly with higher expectations than I should have.

Reaction Score
@EdDaigneault: Diaco says Michael Boland has been moved from tight end to DE.

@NHRJimFuller: Michael Boland, who worked out at tight end during his redshirt season, is moving to DE for #UConn

@elsctpost: Interesting. Diaco had St. Joseph OL Steve Hashemi working at tight end Saturday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01