depth chart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

depth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I honestly dont know what to make of the QB position. Whitmer seems unable to avoid the turnover bug; Boyle seems to have all the measurables on paper but was thrown in to the deep water too early and now I worry it may have a longer term effect; and CC went from #3 in a bad rotation to Tom Brady for leading us to wins against Memphis and Rutgers (Smallwood and the D pulled us out of the Temple game). I hope one of them jumps out, but I think declaring any of them a leader at this stage seems premature. Then again, i would say that for about 18 of the 22 starting positions. Should be intersting to see who lines up in a month
In reality, no one does. Diaco himself said that they aren't even using last year as motivation because once one aspect of the situation changes, the entire situation chances. Not only is there an entirely new coaching staff (save one), only two linemen have any experience worth mentioning and book is completely new. Opening night is 31 days away and it can't get here close enough.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Check out the thread with BDs audio bytes about the QB position. Very enlightening. He doesn't seem to like Casey's feet or arm. But he likes his leadership. He likes Whitmers feet and long ball, but not his short game. It sounds like he thinks Boyle is still young

I think it looks like Casey and chandler will play. That is unless Whitmers bad decisions show up again.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If someone takes the job from Cochran in practice, so be it. But if they're really "even" going in, we have a longer term problem than QB play.

Well, I too was impressed by the numbers Casey put up in the last game against sh&tty team that had clearly given up.

But, I suppose, he may have to do it again against a decent team before we make him All-AAC.

Reaction Score
Check out the thread with BDs audio bytes about the QB position. Very enlightening. He doesn't seem to like Casey's feet or arm. But he likes his leadership. He likes Whitmers feet and long ball, but not his short game. It sounds like he thinks Boyle is still young

I think it looks like Casey and chandler will play. That is unless Whitmers bad decisions show up again.

Attention Deficit Disorder Version from a Des Article:

“Chandler is working on his liabilities,” Diaco said. “Very few of his liabilities have to do with his tangible skill. He’s incredibly talented. He’s fast. He’s got an incredibly strong arm. He throws great on the move. He sees the game in pictures like you’re supposed to so he’s working on shallow, intermediate to short passing. He is working hard at that. He’s working on leading, being a great teammate.”

“Casey is your quintessential leader. He’s the moxie, the swagger guts guy that is going to will the group down the field but he’s got to work on his foot speed. He had to work hard on his body composition. He probably lost almost 30 pounds. I think he weighs 217 pounds right now. When we started he was 247, 243. Now he’s in the teens. He dropped his body fat probably 20 percent, 15 percent. So he’s working on his liabilities: arm strength, foot speed, change of direction.”

"And Timmy… young guy. Finding his way from a leadership standpoint, finding his way from a leadership standpoint, finding his from a communication standpoint; finding his way as it relates to piecing together all the moving parts of an offense attacking the defense – but he possess the total package as it relates to his tangible skill. He’s got touch. He’s got a hose [arm]. He can run. He can change direction. He’s fast. He’s got body, hard to tackle, yeah…so.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, I too was impressed by the numbers Casey put up in the last game against sh&tty team that had clearly given up.

Thank you for your interest in UCONN athletics. It's amazing how many people piss on Casey with so little push back.

I'm impressed you can write a complete sentence.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Thank you for your interest in UCONN athletics. It's amazing how many people piss on Casey with so little push back.

Good lord. I'm not pissing on Casey. I'm impressed by what I saw last year.

I was commenting on the suggestion that Diaco's is making an obvious faulty decision to evaluate QB's based on what they do NOW and how the compete NOW vs. what they did last season.

I think Diaco has a legit point. Casey had some serious advantages. Better line. More motivated team. Worse opponents. Infinitely better play calling & coaching

If Casey is the best, I hope he starts.

If one of the other guys is better than what they showed with a shytty line, disorganized offense and much stronger opponents, he should get a shot.

I just want the best guy to play. And let Diaco figure out who is the best without second guessing him based on a "FACT" (that the competition was even last year) that isn't quite a fact.

Reaction Score

Not sure you are one to be in a position to criticize someone else's intelligence, given your past.
Casey deserves credit for what he did, brand new season now, let's see how it goes!

Reaction Score
Let us not forget this year's qb will most like not have 4 or 5 we sets to throw to. Going to be a lot of running and two tight end sets. Don't look for the weist type offense this year. going to be a qb that can work in this system I still say Casey because I felt he was the quickest reader

Reaction Score
If he wants to judge mainly based on what he sees in person, fine. But he was really dismissive of the idea that game film from last year would even be part of the consideration, and that bothers me. How players respond when the lights are on matters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two take aways.

The comment about not having enough OLine bodies to compete for 12 games could be a reason for Knappe starting over Gifford. Let Knappe learn one position and get competent at it.

Gifford has experience and could be thrown in at almost any line position except center. If any player gets injured or underperforms Gifford could fill in without causing any other shifts. That's the optimist. The pessimist says he got beat out by a Dane with 6 months experience on the OLine.

Secondly, the comment by Diaco about selecting a QB who doesn't turn it over clearly points to Casey being the starter. Taking BD's comments at face value, there's too much game film on Whitmer turning it over and Boyle was brutal (as to be expected by a true frosh taking over mid year) too. If anyone lines up over center for BYU other than Casey we can look back on the QB not turning it over as coach speak.

Reaction Score
So during the previous regime at least two QB's were 30+ lbs overweight? On my way to Denny's to shin kick a geezer.
It better be a Denny's in the Chicago or Cleveland area, the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because of that old fool tandem.

Reaction Score
I like our choices and that fact we have a number of guys that have taken snaps and played full games. But I'm really struggling to make absolute judgements based upon last year. It was a crazy screwed up situation and while you have to give Casey credit for the good, it's hard to hang all the blame for the bad on Chandler and Tim. He wants a guy who is ready to run his offense and I agree that all three have the tools to be successful at this point. He has the most film on Whitmer however if you want to look back. How that works for or against him is anybody's guess. I just don't think they'll spend much time looking back.

Reaction Score
Andrew Callahan ~ A deeper look at the new UConn football depth chart
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2014/7/31/5957219/a-deeper-look-at-the-new-uconn-football-depth-chart

Very glad to see Callahan is still covering the team. If he is reading this might I suggest a deep dive into Diaco's defense.

Two guys I am surprised to see missing on the depth chart are Lemelle and Schafanacker. Hopefully Diaco is just trying to light a fire under them. If Thomas Lucas is really better than Lemelle that is very impressive.
Jamaar Summers must be pretty impressive to get on the depth chart already.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People need to remember that Casey came in against UCF and Louisville and was able to get the 2nd team down the field for scores. He wasn't just productive in his 4 starts.

TD passes in 6 straight games. Probably our first QB since Orlovsky to do that, if Orlovsky did it. Casey had no help on the Cincy drive, the back-up O-line was an open gate to the QB.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Oh my - if Casey isnt named the starting QB many on this board are going to implode and explode! (It will be fun to watch and become an instant classic - BY material for years to come!) I want what is best for UConn FB but half of me wants HCBD to choose Whitmer -

We pay an experienced football coach good money - let the man make the call and live with the decision.

GO TEAM!!

Reaction Score
The Boyle fiasco lands squarely at Warde's feet. that was a ticket sales decision. And it was bad for the kid, bad for the team and may well have blown a redshirt year. No way on this earth was Boyle ready to step onto a college football field in game conditions. That little experiment was just a waste for everyone involved. Cochran, as jdb50 points out, came in and produced touchdowns, a couple with very sweet plays, late in some games. Even though it was with the B-squad agaisnt B-squad, he just looked far more competent. I thought he looked nervous early against SMU, but settled down after that and delivered the rest of the way until the late pick 6 which happened in desperation time. he got us back in it, but the killer was Wagner's 14 yard punt from deep in our end.

I just want to add here that I was not a Cochran fan in the least. I saw him a couple of times in high school and was unimpressed, saw him in the blue-white games and they confirmed my original thinking. I thought he was there soley to please the high School coaches. But in the games he played, you could just see the whole team play better when he took the field. he made plays, he stepped up when he should have, he knew what he was doing. He showed confidence and leadership even when it was in blow outs. Had he played rather than Boyle, I think we had at least 1, maybe 2 more Ws. No guarantees for sure, but he was that much better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Boyle fiasco lands squarely at Warde's feet. that was a ticket sales decision. And it was bad for the kid, bad for the team and may well have blown a redshirt year. No way on this earth was Boyle ready to step onto a college football field in game conditions. That little experiment was just a waste for everyone involved. Cochran, as jdb50 points out, came in and produced touchdowns, a couple with very sweet plays, late in some games. Even though it was with the B-squad agaisnt B-squad, he just looked far more competent. I thought he looked nervous early against SMU, but settled down after that and delivered the rest of the way until the late pick 6 which happened in desperation time. he got us back in it, but the killer was Wagner's 14 yard punt from deep in our end.

I just want to add here that I was not a Cochran fan in the least. I saw him a couple of times in high school and was unimpressed, saw him in the blue-white games and they confirmed my original thinking. I thought he was there soley to please the high School coaches. But in the games he played, you could just see the whole team play better when he took the field. he made plays, he stepped up when he should have, he knew what he was doing. He showed confidence and leadership even when it was in blow outs. Had he played rather than Boyle, I think we had at least 1, maybe 2 more Ws. No guarantees for sure, but he was that much better.

Boyle threw two first quarter touchdown passes and both were dropped. Tough to pin that loss on Tim.

If those passes are caught we win and there is wind the team's sails. It could have been a whole different season. Tim was ready, the WRs and TEs were not.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh my - if Casey isnt named the starting QB many on this board are going to implode and explode! (It will be fun to watch and become an instant classic - BY material for years to come!) I want what is best for UConn FB but half of me wants HCBD to choose Whitmer -

We pay an experienced football coach good money - let the man make the call and live with the decision.

GO TEAM!!
Half this board still wants a 3* recruit from Plano to be their starter.

Reaction Score
Boyle threw two first quarter touchdown passes and both were dropped. Tough to pin that loss on Tim.

If those passes are caught we win and there is wind the team's sails. It could have been a whole different season. Tim was ready, the WRs and TEs were not.
I've never seen anybody who gives and takes more credit or blame to dropped passes than you do. Good grief. Boyle was 59-133-8 with 0 touchdowns. His qb efficiency rating was the lowest in D1A when he was finally replaced. He fumbled in that game because he didn't know what to do with the football and it was taken back for 6. He was sacked 18 times. Now all of those problems aren't entirely his fault. But they all point ot a situation of a player who was simply unprepared for what he faced. That isn't a knock on him. Its the reason that 98% of freshmen quarterbacks redshirt. The difference between even a poor USF defense and the defense he saw from Madison High School is so vast its impossible to over state. He belonged on the sidelines with a headset learning the game. He was out there because UConn wanted to sell a few extra seats by announcing that the local freshman phenom would be starting for the new coach.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I havent heard that theory before..you are blaming the AD for Boyle entering the game? Is this based on any facts....or just a theory?

All I remember is Weist saying that PP had already decided to put Boyle in before he was fired. And Weist decided to keep that plan.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He was out there because UConn wanted to sell a few extra seats by announcing that the local freshman phenom would be starting for the new coach.

That doesn't make sense. They could have said the same thing about Cochran, who had 12 more games experience. If what they say about Cochran is true (Cochran is a better game QB than practice QB), Boyle beat him out. I think the plan to eventually start Boyle was afoot before the Michigan game, but Buffalo cemented it. They never planned (stupidly) to redshirt Boyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom