DePaul Postgame thread [merged] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WTF… she literally kept them in the game… just keep hating
Lol so I guess Geno is hating too, when he talks about Aubrey's need to be more consistent... Hating and constructive critique are two entirely different things. Now put your pom-poms down for a few minutes and breathe reality's air...

Reaction Score
I’d say there is one but she’s sitting on the bench in a knee brace.
Paige could be in that class, but being able to remain on the court is a big part of what makes a great player great. How many games were there where Diana, Maya, or Stewie said they couldn't go? There was a time where we kept puke buckets behind the bench for players that refused to take the day off. Times have changed, but you bring back those 2014/15/16 UConn teams and they would smoke every team in today's so-called better top 25.

Reaction Score
At this moment in time, UConn is a very average team.

Lucky to win today.
This is probably the most painful season since the beginning of the Geno Auriemma era in the mid-1980's. I can only think of 2007, the season after Diana Taurasi left, as in any way comparable. We lost seven games that season, and failed to advance past the, what?, Sweet Sixteen? But we didn't have the talent that year. We did start a major rebound the following season, however, when Tina Charles arrived on campus.

This year it's all about searing injuries. We have had essentially a Top Five team sitting on the bench with terrible injuries: devastating knee injuries to Paige and Azzi, serious concussion with unshakable symptoms to CD. Without a top point guard, and with Lou fading due to overwork and possible injury, the opponents just clog the middle, forcing either a miss or a turnover from the front court players. And that is effective against us game after game.

I don't think this team is capable of winning the Big East tournament, and a Sweet Sixteen opponent could be extremely difficult to get by. Just too many injuries, to many minutes for the walking wounded. The most painful season we've ever been through.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I totally agree--shotty play by Nika today, although she was clutch at the end,,,, I disagree on Aubrey though--did you see how many bunnies she missed, and driving into situations with no planned strategy or outcome. She must have had 4-5 TOs. Each game, you never know what you're going to get from her... The usual thing with Aubrey is brilliant play one game then the next, she's quite mediocre. She is haunted by inconsistency,
Nika played mostly well a couple bad passes 1 TO given to her was a good pass that went through Aaliyah s hands. Scored last 5 clutch points. Played real defense. Aubrey today was both brilliant and bad both sides of the ball. 5 turnovers while really handling the ball much. Airballed at least 3 layups.

Reaction Score
Thank God I re-filled my blood pressure medication today. Just saying.

DePaul pretty much dared Nika to shoot from 3 point land and at first it looked like they were right to do that, she started 0-3. I don't know what happened (maybe some Red Bull at the half) but then she proceeded to go 3-3. But it was those 2 free throws at the end, I literally jumped out of my recliner when the second shot went in! Plus she played the entire 40 minutes. She should have no trouble sleeping tonight!!

I thought Ayanna really stepped up when needed, this should definitely be a tremendous boost for her confidence & maybe now Geno will be more willing to use her.

Amazed that Dorka came back, that ankle injury looked bad & painful too. Gutsy performance from her today.
How did she start 0-3 when she was 3-5 for the day? I believe she missed her first, hit her next two and then missed another in the first half.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please help me understand basketball scoring. Why doesn't the official point total of 72 equal the sum of the individual parts total of 86?
View attachment 84432
The field goal total includes three point shots. For example, Lou took 4 total shots, three of them were threes. She made 3 points on three pointers (1-3) and two points on two pointers (1-1). She was overall 2-4.

Reaction Score
Lol so I guess Geno is hating too, when he talks about Aubrey's need to be more consistent... Hating and constructive critique are two entirely different things. Now put your pom-poms down for a few minutes and breathe reality's air...

Lmao…Pom poms… ya might wanna check my posts but okay I’ll be that

Reaction Score
Nika played mostly well a couple bad passes 1 TO given to her was a good pass that went through Aaliyah s hands. Scored last 5 clutch points. Played real defense. Aubrey today was both brilliant and bad both sides of the ball. 5 turnovers while really handling the ball much. Airballed at least 3 layups.
Good assessment, but careful: saying that Aubrey had an up and down game: inconsistent, will get you labeled a hater....

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Thank God I re-filled my blood pressure medication today. Just saying.

DePaul pretty much dared Nika to shoot from 3 point land and at first it looked like they were right to do that, she started 0-3. I don't know what happened (maybe some Red Bull at the half) but then she proceeded to go 3-3. But it was those 2 free throws at the end, I literally jumped out of my recliner when the second shot went in! Plus she played the entire 40 minutes. She should have no trouble sleeping tonight!!

I thought Ayanna really stepped up when needed, this should definitely be a tremendous boost for her confidence & maybe now Geno will be more willing to use her.

Amazed that Dorka came back, that ankle injury looked bad & painful too. Gutsy performance from her today.
Check the game play by play.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else frustrated by the Fox Sports commentators, Sarah Kustok and Lisa Byington? They did the Villanova game, too, and they were terrible in that one as well. Lots of chatter about themselves -- even nostalgia photos of themselves -- and can't seem to find the time to tell us what's happening in the actual game, like who was that last foul on? Was that a turnover, a foul, a jump ball, etc.? How many fouls did Aaliyah have, or Aneesah, etc.? I found myself trying to pick up vital information from the PA speaker, which is barely audible on TV.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
There is something in what you say, but if I had to choose between an Aubrey who is afraid to shoot and
contributes little or nothing on offense and an Aubrey, mistakes and all, who plays aggressively on the
offensive end, I would choose the latter.
Today's game included both, kept both teams in the game

Reaction Score
In case anyone's wondering, Nika is shooting really well this season, especially from the FT line. 71.1% isn't dazzling, but it's a huge improvement over the past two years. And she seems to be even better when it comes to clutch free throws. I don't dread seeing her go to the line at the end of close games.
Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 5.25.45 PM.png

Reaction Score
I have to say it was a relief to watch a game where the referees didn’t become part of the storyline. Were they perfect? Of course not; I don’t think anyone expects them to be. But there seemed to be relative consistency in what they did and didn’t call - and no 15-minute video reviews. Hallelujah!

Reaction Score
Thank goodness Morrow is only 6'1". Can you imagine if she was Dorka's/Boston's size at 6'5"? :eek: She would be unguardable, and unstoppable.
I’m impressed whenever I see Morrow play. She was definitely the best and most impactful player on the court today. Morrow is very good. Tough, aggressive and very good hands. Took a village to cover her. Definite all American imho.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Is/was Lou ill? Geno just said she hadn't practiced for 3 days.
Early in the season she was hampered by a foot injury I believe. During the entire season I’ve seen her go down and fall a couple times per game when making a turn to get back on defense after made lay ups- alone on the court. I believe She has a chronic foot and/or ankle issue. She is really banged up- so today they went to Aubrey. Lou is probably as tough as any player we’ve ever had.

Reaction Score
The last few minutes we looked like UConn BB. We made plays. The problem is team chemistry and what I saw alot of was holding the ball over our heads and waiting for someone to get open usually down low then telegraphing the pass and of course it was stolen. To offset that we need to look down low then pass the ball to someone else if the player down low isnt open. Just keep moving the ball and moving ourselves looking to make passes and receive passes. To much holding the ball and trying to force it down low and again TELEGRAPHING passes.
Not sure you are right about team chemistry. Both coaches and players have competed on close they all are—strong chemistry.

Reaction Score
An ugly win is still a win.

Our ability to make FTs is clutch.

Said it in the chat, but AP played great today. I am in total support of her getting more playing time if she continues to play like this. We couldn't have gotten the win without her. Played some great defense.

We make so many mistakes consistently, it's truly frustrating and heartbreaking to see. Clearly they do not have productive practices because these constant mistakes that are uncharacteristic for UConn.

EDIT: The real good thing to me is that they retained their BE #1 seed.

EDIT 2: Inez also gave us some good minutes.
All 8 players played well today. That was the difference in the 4th Q. I hope they rest all the starters in the 2nd half on Monday.

Reaction Score
Reading another post reminded me: Kudos to Patterson. Early in her time in the game, she looked a little lost on defense, but she really came back well. A great opportunistic basket, and wonderful defense.
Perhaps even more perplexing than the 18 turnovers was how DePaul, a team that plays only one kid as tall as 6'1" was able to block 7 UConn shots? We make 4 blocks, but DePaul blocks 7?

Tired legs? Just not got the spring anymore?
Many of them we fed into AE and they had 3 bodies on her. I also think they fed her so often that at least 5 were turnovers.- Thinking it was a game plan for Uconn and DePaul was ready.

Reaction Score
Nika played mostly well a couple bad passes 1 TO given to her was a good pass that went through Aaliyah s hands. Scored last 5 clutch points. Played real defense.
Except with 17 seconds left when she allowed People's an easy layup to make it a one point game. Thankfully she redeemed herself with the free throws.

Reaction Score
It's great that UConn won, but that last turnover on the inbounds play says it all about the condition of the team right now. Dorka missed at least one (Griffin) and maybe two players who would have had a chance at the ball, and passed it to someone who was covered. To no one's surprise, DePaul got the ball. It was that way the whole game.

One other observation: Earlier in the season, UConn had great success getting the ball in to a big, Edwards of Juhasz, who would then go to work. What's clear now is that every team they come up against has devised defenses against that pass-in. And you know what? UConn still tries to force it in there, time after time. And loses the ball, time after time. I know there's some truth in the old saying about riding the horse that got you there, but a time comes when you have to recognize that the horse has gone lame.
Agree. This team is the worse in years turning the ball over. I appreciate Patterson playing good defense today. But let's not get excited. DePaul is not a Top 25 team. The same for Yanna. First time she touches the ball has a turnover.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Except with 17 seconds left when she allowed People's an easy layup to make it a one point game. Thankfully she redeemed herself with the free throws.
She was in foul trouble and didn’t want to pick up another one. Also, the clock was UConn’s friend and a foul would have stopped the clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom