DePaul Postgame thread [merged] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but Nika has developed some bad passing habits. Too many telegraphed passes. She did some great things in this game. But I cringe these days when she picks up her dribble and then holds the ball over her head and fakes the same pass before throwing it.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Perhaps even more perplexing than the 18 turnovers was how DePaul, a team that plays only one kid as tall as 6'1" was able to block 7 UConn shots? We make 4 blocks, but DePaul blocks 7?

Tired legs? Just not got the spring anymore?
The up fake seems to be a lost art. As does the fake pass.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but Anika has developed some bad passing habits. Too many telegraphed passes. She did some great things in this game. But I cringe these days when she picks up her dribble and then holds the ball over her head and fakes the same pass before throwing it.
You are sooooo right. I think she's had 4 turnovers in the first quarter in the last 3 games.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USS UConn WBB Looking for Help

Sinking Classic Film GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut
Cant figure out why so many Red thumbs down "likes". I see a ship, the USS UConn, with teammates working hard to reach its goal, but still needs help to get there.

Reaction Score
For a UConn fan, this was a horrible game to watch. Depaul played over their head and scored over their head and UConn played with abandon until the last 4 minutes of the game. What saved UConn was just plain grit. Lot's of heart.
For any fan of basketball it was a great game to watch! What have you got against exciting basketball, 2 teams playing with lots of heart, and going down to the very end. Give DePaul some credit already. And good for the game; much better than a 30 point yawner.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thoughts

-When Ayanna came in the 2nd time, Morrow was killing us and Ayanna's bulk, size and athleticism helped to slow her down and win the game.

-It did look like DePaul was the more creative and competent team for much of the game. But some big plays at the end turned the tide...Mind you...it could have been so much easier if Dorka made her bunny and the ball wasn't soon turned over...

- The third quarter was painful, I count (subject to correction), more or less a turnover before and after every made shot with one exception...The percentage was fine...just that they made 7 shots but gave it away 7 times while attempting 13 total shots...DePaul attempted 19 shots and fortunately missed a whole lot more than we did.

- perhaps I have been too nibbling around the edges. I am among those that feel that especially this season, the young players...the bench, should have been given more game time to develop their game and to determine if they could be really useful and /or to reduce the minutes of the starters.

Let us (for example) examine Ines' performance today...It was her first meaningful appearance in weeks...I was not expecting superstar performance, just hoping for competence. She appears to be quick and athletic with good dribbling skills...in 4 minutes, she had a steal and a turnover (neither credited), an assist and hit a 3.

Is it not possible that with more regular play-time, she could have taken some of the pressure off our beaten down (for whatever combination of reasons) guard corps in our hours of need? I certainly think so.

Remember Moriah's freshman year? Geno played her limited minutes throughout the season (more in the NCAA's). Her dad thought she was ready to contribute...there had been those extraordinary moves in HS...Never saw them her first season...until the NCAA's...saw one...Then, amazingly, she starts her sophomore year...and we get the full repertoire.
I complained throughout her first year that she only needed to be given a chance...And was derided similarly to this season

Likewise, when a big, athletic body was required when Dorka was being overwhelmed by Morrow, Ayanna performed competently.

In my opinion (here's where one gets into the issue of 2nd guessing the coach...
Not having stayed in a holiday Inn nor having won any...zero..titles of any kind)

This type of substitution pattern (using the kids) might well have lessened the obvious physical deterioration of our starters.

Especially interesting was Ines' cameo today.

-UConn fandom is delighted that the team made some big plays down the stretch (offense and defense) to pull out the game. Congrats to the organization for their valiant effort. It was a good start towards turning the season back around.
And the bench contributed...I think they can do yet more.

Reaction Score
Pure speculation, but I wonder if after last game the focus was health management over blowing out these next two games. Maybe some were right about putting in the bench to conserve our starters. I definitely think UConn is still in a slump, but they seem to rise to the occasion when they need to.
In addition, I am less worried after watching other top ranked teams play. Almost everyone is either getting upset or close to an upset every night. The fact that Stanford took another L today isn't a surprise to me. With a full roster, they look just as vulnerable as UConn. My biggest question is: Are teams growing more competitive or are traditional top teams just playing poorly? I personally think it is a mixture of both. I think if UConn brings their A game in the tournament they are going far and if not... well it is what it is. I am not a fortune teller, even when I want to be.

Reaction Score
Pure speculation, but I wonder if after last game the focus was health management over blowing out these next two games. Maybe some were right about putting in the bench to conserve our starters. I definitely think UConn is still in a slump, but they seem to rise to the occasion when they need to.
In addition, I am less worried after watching other top ranked teams play. Almost everyone is either getting upset or close to an upset every night. The fact that Stanford took another L today isn't a surprise to me. With a full roster, they look just as vulnerable as UConn. My biggest question is: Are teams growing more competitive or are traditional top teams just playing poorly? I personally think it is a mixture of both. I think if UConn brings their A game in the tournament they are going far and if not... well it is what it is. I am not a fortune teller, even when I want to be.
It's definitely a mixture of both, but I think more parity is the bigger reason.

Reaction Score
Gee whiz, UConn has too many pessimists after a loss or a close win. We seemingly fail to understand that this team has UConn on its jersey and historic successful seasons makes this women basketball overly relevant to all competitors. Losing to UConn is perceived as just being routine or expected, winning generates a center court celebration. This year’s team should be celebrated and have reached a plateau that should be appreciated even by those critics who were bench warmers on their high school JV teams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thoughts

-When Ayanna came in the 2nd time, Morrow was killing us and Ayanna's bulk, size and athleticism helped to slow her down and win the game.

-It did look like DePaul was the more creative and competent team for much of the game. But some big plays at the end turned the tide...Mind you...it could have been so much easier if Dorka made her bunny and the ball wasn't soon turned over...

- The third quarter was painful, I count (subject to correction), more or less a turnover before and after every made shot with one exception...The percentage was fine...just that they made 7 shots but gave it away 7 times while attempting 13 total shots...DePaul attempted 19 shots and fortunately missed a whole lot more than we did.

- perhaps I have been too nibbling around the edges. I am among those that feel that especially this season, the young players...the bench, should have been given more game time to develop their game and to determine if they could be really useful and /or to reduce the minutes of the starters.

Let us (for example) examine Ines' performance today...It was her first meaningful appearance in weeks...I was not expecting superstar performance, just hoping for competence. She appears to be quick and athletic with good dribbling skills...in 4 minutes, she had a steal and a turnover (neither credited), an assist and hit a 3.

Is it not possible that with more regular play-time, she could have taken some of the pressure off our beaten down (for whatever combination of reasons) guard corps in our hours of need? I certainly think so.

Remember Moriah's freshman year? Geno played her limited minutes throughout the season (more in the NCAA's). Her dad thought she was ready to contribute...there had been those extraordinary moves in HS...Never saw them her first season...until the NCAA's...saw one...Then, amazingly, she starts her sophomore year...and we get the full repertoire.
I complained throughout her first year that she only needed to be given a chance...And was derided similarly to this season

Likewise, when a big, athletic body was required when Dorka was being overwhelmed by Morrow, Ayanna performed competently.

In my opinion (here's where one gets into the issue of 2nd guessing the coach...
Not having stayed in a holiday Inn nor having won any...zero..titles of any kind)

This type of substitution pattern (using the kids) might well have lessened the obvious physical deterioration of our starters.

Especially interesting was Ines' cameo today.

-UConn fandom is delighted that the team made some big plays down the stretch (offense and defense) to pull out the game. Congrats to the organization for their valiant effort. It was a good start towards turning the season back around.
And the bench contributed...I think they can do yet more.
Thank goodness Morrow is only 6'1". Can you imagine if she was Dorka's/Boston's size at 6'5"? :eek: She would be unguardable, and unstoppable.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In a tight game like this, sometimes you focus on a few plays.
  • Thought the swing pass to Nika was clutch. So, of course, was the shot. But the pass....
  • When Morrow ended up with the ball and drove to the hoop, I really thought she'd just go for it and try to draw the foul Why not, she's Morrow, right? However, I'm pretty sure Aubry Griffin got good enough position to make Morrow think better of it and try to spin back around. That turned out to be worse because Dorka came in and tied her up. Jump ball to UConn. Free throw time. Good hustle and discipline by Audrey for not reaching and Dorka for trailing the play on D.

Reaction Score
We sure have a lot of "coaches" on this board. Absolutely amazing.

A win to clinch a tie for the regular season title. DePaul is always a difficult game on their court. This team does not quit. They scrap and claw to win. It ain't pretty but who cares.

Nan mentioned Maya's heroics and don't forget Ketia Swanier's end to end dash for a win.

Remember Tug McGraw's line when he was with the Mets - "You Gotta Believe."

On to Monday night.
You're right- I would have expected this board to be filled with plumbers, not coaches.

Reaction Score
My biggest question is: Are teams growing more competitive or are traditional top teams just playing poorly? I personally think it is a mixture of both.
Geno says there are no longer really great teams, but a bunch of really good teams. I guess that's parity? I think it really comes down to the lack of a Stewie/Maya/Diana type player that could elevate a really good team to a spectacular one.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I haven't read any other posts yet but, am I the only one enjoying UConn games in which the outcome is not already predetermined?

Another example of the ridiculous high standards the program has established is that this 25 win, top ten ranked squad is probably the "worst" team Geno has had in the last 15 years. There are many teams that would absolutely kill for such "decline".:)

I almost feel bad for Doug Bruno. Another great chance to snap his losing streak and it slipped away again. Almost.

Will Genoi use the Xavier to rest Dorka etc. and give the bench some serious minutes? Perfect opponent and time to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom