DePaul Postgame thread [merged] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno says there are no longer really great teams, but a bunch of really good teams. I guess that's parity? I think it really comes down to the lack of a Stewie/Maya/Diana type player that could elevate a really good team to a spectacular one.
Agreed. And, Stewie also had the benefit of being surrounded by equally great teammates, all who were stars in their own right. There likely will never be another team, anywhere, like that again unless the stars happen to perfectly align. 4 straight NCs and the top 3 in the draft. It's unbelievable.

JBK

Reaction Score
Good: grit

Bad: passes, defense, inside shots missed

DePaul is now 15-15, and played head to head with a #2 seed ???? in the NCAA Tourney....I would not blame Charlie now, if he has UCONN as one of the last teams to be selected. (I thought I would never say this, but "It is what it is.")
Yea but tell Charlie Azzi Fudd Warmed up today and she is getting ready !!!!!
Like Paige last year - she is good enough to carry us back from the wounded.

Reaction Score
Just want to remind folks that UConn has a long history of close games at DePaul. Remember Maya with the late steal in the last seconds of the game and Caroline with the awesome drive last year?

I think this arena gets into their heads

Has UCONN won the Big East regular season or share it with another school?
If they lose Monday and tie with Villanova they win as they beat nova both games.
Yeah, let’s focus on her bad plays, she has become this years Williams/Ono. She had 8 assists and at least 3 other passes for point blank layups that were missed, 13 points, including Uconn’s last 5, and oh, basically was switched onto a red hot Rogers and pretty much took her out of the game. She had 8 points in the 1st qtr against Griffin, 7 the rest of the way after the switch, 3 of which came when Griffin was on her and didn’t close out at all on a 3 pointer. And oh by the way, Griffin, who did play well, had 5 TOs of her own. Yes, Muhl turns the ball over, she also gets the team more than their share of easy points. She could have easily had 12-14 assists today with missed bunnies and wide open jump shots. Part of the game, but there’s plenty of good to go along with the bad.
And usually plays 40 minutes.

Reaction Score
If they lose Monday and tie with Villanova they win as they beat nova both games.

And usually plays 40 minutes.
No the big east title would be shared with Nova if they lost/Nova won. I think you’re getting confused with the rules for seedings for the BE tournament. UCONN can claim sole possession with a win over Xavier on Monday or a Villanova loss at Seton Hall. A UCONN loss + Villanova win would be a shared title.

Reaction Score
Thoughts

-When Ayanna came in the 2nd time, Morrow was killing us and Ayanna's bulk, size and athleticism helped to slow her down and win the game.

-It did look like DePaul was the more creative and competent team for much of the game. But some big plays at the end turned the tide...Mind you...it could have been so much easier if Dorka made her bunny and the ball wasn't soon turned over...

- The third quarter was painful, I count (subject to correction), more or less a turnover before and after every made shot with one exception...The percentage was fine...just that they made 7 shots but gave it away 7 times while attempting 13 total shots...DePaul attempted 19 shots and fortunately missed a whole lot more than we did.

- perhaps I have been too nibbling around the edges. I am among those that feel that especially this season, the young players...the bench, should have been given more game time to develop their game and to determine if they could be really useful and /or to reduce the minutes of the starters.

Let us (for example) examine Ines' performance today...It was her first meaningful appearance in weeks...I was not expecting superstar performance, just hoping for competence. She appears to be quick and athletic with good dribbling skills...in 4 minutes, she had a steal and a turnover (neither credited), an assist and hit a 3.

Is it not possible that with more regular play-time, she could have taken some of the pressure off our beaten down (for whatever combination of reasons) guard corps in our hours of need? I certainly think so.

Remember Moriah's freshman year? Geno played her limited minutes throughout the season (more in the NCAA's). Her dad thought she was ready to contribute...there had been those extraordinary moves in HS...Never saw them her first season...until the NCAA's...saw one...Then, amazingly, she starts her sophomore year...and we get the full repertoire.
I complained throughout her first year that she only needed to be given a chance...And was derided similarly to this season

Likewise, when a big, athletic body was required when Dorka was being overwhelmed by Morrow, Ayanna performed competently.

In my opinion (here's where one gets into the issue of 2nd guessing the coach...
Not having stayed in a holiday Inn nor having won any...zero..titles of any kind)

This type of substitution pattern (using the kids) might well have lessened the obvious physical deterioration of our starters.

Especially interesting was Ines' cameo today.

-UConn fandom is delighted that the team made some big plays down the stretch (offense and defense) to pull out the game. Congrats to the organization for their valiant effort. It was a good start towards turning the season back around.
And the bench contributed...I think they can do yet more.
Stubbornes is a two way sword!

Reaction Score
She had 4 head scratching TOs and some iffy passes her teammates saved. She just seems not quite herself lately but I can say that for all the starters but Aubrey. Big props to Aubrey for her play today
Uh oh!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
. . . DePaul is now 15-15, and played head to head with a #2 seed ???? in the NCAA Tourney....I would not blame Charlie now, if he has UCONN as one of the last teams to be selected. (I thought I would never say this, but "It is what it is.")
Last year UConn had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to win a 2 point game over DePaul at their place.

DePaul ended their season with a 20 point loss in their first BE Tournament game and a 30+ point loss
in their first NCAA Tournament game.

UConn played in the national championship game.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I am channeling my inner DavidNaples with a weird stat. Nika, who barely grazed the bottom right of the backboard with her first three attempt, proceeds to go 3 for 5 from distance and make all four of her FTs. Her last three and two foul shots were huge.

Reaction Score
She had 4 head scratching TOs and some iffy passes her teammates saved. She just seems not quite herself lately but I can say that for all the starters but Aubrey. Big props to Aubrey for her play today
I totally agree--shotty play by Nika today, although she was clutch at the end,,,, I disagree on Aubrey though--did you see how many bunnies she missed, and driving into situations with no planned strategy or outcome. She must have had 4-5 TOs. Each game, you never know what you're going to get from her... The usual thing with Aubrey is brilliant play one game then the next, she's quite mediocre. She is haunted by inconsistency,

Reaction Score
Welcome Ayanna Patterson!
I agree. She has been a disappointment all season, but showed up today. She was stout on defense, rebounded well, and even scored two points ( season high?) off a nice offensive rebound. She ran well and jumped well. She is strong and athletic. She earned more court time I hope. I would still like someone to tell her, " it is okay to create shots, take them and make them." I don't think she gets today's opportunity however, without injury to Dorka and foul trouble by Edwards. Nonetheless, she showed she can help. Changed some minds maybe.

Reaction Score
Pure speculation, but I wonder if after last game the focus was health management over blowing out these next two games. Maybe some were right about putting in the bench to conserve our starters. I definitely think UConn is still in a slump, but they seem to rise to the occasion when they need to.
In addition, I am less worried after watching other top ranked teams play. Almost everyone is either getting upset or close to an upset every night. The fact that Stanford took another L today isn't a surprise to me. With a full roster, they look just as vulnerable as UConn. My biggest question is: Are teams growing more competitive or are traditional top teams just playing poorly? I personally think it is a mixture of both. I think if UConn brings their A game in the tournament they are going far and if not... well it is what it is. I am not a fortune teller, even when I want to be.
Geez, just because they (Stanford) lost a game to another #1 seed does not make them “just as vulnerable as UConn”! Let’s stick somewhere close to reality here. Utah is a good team who has dominated their conference. Losing to them certainly isn’t a bad loss for the Cardinal. Of course it’s not good but let’s face it, it’s not like losing to St Johns!

Reaction Score
I totally agree--shotty play by Nika today, although she was clutch at the end,,,, I disagree on Aubrey though--did you see how many bunnies she missed, and driving into situations with no planned strategy or outcome. She must have had 4-5 TOs. Each game, you never know what you're going to get from her... The usual thing with Aubrey is brilliant play one game then the next, she's quite mediocre. She is haunted by inconsistency,
There is something in what you say, but if I had to choose between an Aubrey who is afraid to shoot and
contributes little or nothing on offense and an Aubrey, mistakes and all, who plays aggressively on the
offensive end, I would choose the latter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We sure have a lot of "coaches" on this board. Absolutely amazing.

A win to clinch a tie for the regular season title. DePaul is always a difficult game on their court. This team does not quit. They scrap and claw to win. It ain't pretty but who cares.

Nan mentioned Maya's heroics and don't forget Ketia Swanier's end to end dash for a win.

Remember Tug McGraw's line when he was with the Mets - "You Gotta Believe."

On to Monday night.
That's right!!! :D And WE all stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. ;) I've only been here since 2015. Most of them were here when I got here.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There is something in what you say, but if I had to choose between an Aubrey who is afraid to shoot and
contributes little or nothing on offense and an Aubrey, mistakes and all, who plays aggressively on the
offensive end, I would choose the latter.
You mention Aubrey both times, isn't one of them supposed to be Nika?

Reaction Score
Hello.... Don't the coaches know that all of the Big East has figured out Uconn's basic plays and as a result they are packing the paint to take away Aalijah's drives to the basket. Can't they come up with a few new wrinkles. Every team knows exactly what the Huskies are going to run. An Aalijah won't pass the ball when she is covered by three opposing team players after she misses another lay up. Poor planning and heart breaking. Other teams shoot prayers against Uconn and they go in......

Reaction Score
Thank God I re-filled my blood pressure medication today. Just saying.

DePaul pretty much dared Nika to shoot from 3 point land and at first it looked like they were right to do that, she started 0-3. I don't know what happened (maybe some Red Bull at the half) but then she proceeded to go 3-3. But it was those 2 free throws at the end, I literally jumped out of my recliner when the second shot went in! Plus she played the entire 40 minutes. She should have no trouble sleeping tonight!!

I thought Ayanna really stepped up when needed, this should definitely be a tremendous boost for her confidence & maybe now Geno will be more willing to use her.

Amazed that Dorka came back, that ankle injury looked bad & painful too. Gutsy performance from her today.

Reaction Score
We sure have a lot of "coaches" on this board. Absolutely amazing.

A win to clinch a tie for the regular season title. DePaul is always a difficult game on their court. This team does not quit. They scrap and claw to win. It ain't pretty but who cares.

Nan mentioned Maya's heroics and don't forget Ketia Swanier's end to end dash for a win.

Remember Tug McGraw's line when he was with the Mets - "You Gotta Believe."

On to Monday night.
My favorite Tug McGraw quip came when he was asked if he preferred grass or turf - he responded, “I don’t know, I’ve never smoked turf” !

Reaction Score
Please help me understand basketball scoring. Why doesn't the official point total of 72 equal the sum of the individual parts total of 86?
1677369925422.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc