DePaul Postgame thread [merged] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no lack of effort with this team. They play hard every game all the time. It could be they put so much pressure on themselves they just have been making bad decisions on the court…hopefully we can straighten the ship.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
She had 4 head scratching TOs and some iffy passes her teammates saved. She just seems not quite herself lately but I can say that for all the starters but Aubrey. Big props to Aubrey for her play today
This is true about the TOs, but Nika is the point guard and just trying to make plays. Those TOs were also done by everyone, and by the way, Nika had 4 TOs and Aubrey had 5.

Reaction Score
For those who want more offense from Patterson, I'm sure UCONN fans remember Kiah Stokes. She never tried to score, but she impacted every game with offensive rebounds and nasty blocks. She averaged 4 points, 3.5 blocks, & seven rebounds per game off the bench in UCONN's perfect 2014-15 season. Ayanna was that type of player today!

Reaction Score
I feel like Monday is the perfect thing for this team right now - hopefully a relatively easy game, senior night, nika should get the record, get some game time for the bench. Big Gampel crowd. Hopefully will lift their spirits as they head into post season. All it takes is one game to turn the confidence around + looks like azzi will be back maybe for the big east tournament. Things are on the up (hopefully)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Reading another post reminded me: Kudos to Patterson. Early in her time in the game, she looked a little lost on defense, but she really came back well. A great opportunistic basket, and wonderful defense.
I agree with your analysis. I thought she was also lost at first too but certainly came around.

Reaction Score
An ugly win is still a win.

Our ability to make FTs is clutch.

Said it in the chat, but AP played great today. I am in total support of her getting more playing time if she continues to play like this. We couldn't have gotten the win without her. Played some great defense.

We make so many mistakes consistently, it's truly frustrating and heartbreaking to see. Clearly they do not have productive practices because these constant mistakes that are uncharacteristic for UConn.

EDIT: The real good thing to me is that they retained their BE #1 seed.

EDIT 2: Inez also gave us some good minutes.
From what I hear, a big part of the problem is we don’t have enough practice minutes to reduce the mistakes.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USS UConn WBB Looking for Help

Sinking Classic Film GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut

Reaction Score
The Huskies survived! Some days, that’s all you can ask for. Everyone played hard, but everyone made head-scratching mistakes. Dorka missed the easy shot that would have put us up by 5, then comes back and gets the tie-up that probably saved the game. The day was like that for everybody. Lou had hit only one shot all game, then at the end has the pretty reverse and the great penetration kicking to Nika for the huge three. On the good side, I was very happy to see the quality minutes from AP and Ines, and we really needed their combined four points.

I hope everyone can walk tomorrow, especially Dorka after that ankle roll.

This game was not good for my heart, but ended up being good for my soul. Go Huskies!

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Dorka played a hell of good game, especially with her bad ankle. Despite getting clobber in the face, Nika had 8 assist and much needed 3 pointers. Tough game, but they held on to win. I hope Lou feels better soon. I would like to see Dorka rested for the Xavier game, and would like to see more of Ines and Ayanna on the court.
Happydad745, the Xavier game is Dorka's (second) Senior Night and Dorka's parents are coming in from Europe to attend. I'd bet the farm she starts. That said, I agree with your thoughts it would be nice to see more Ines and Ayanna.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Good: grit

Bad: passes, defense, inside shots missed

DePaul is now 15-15, and played head to head with a #2 seed ???? in the NCAA Tourney....I would not blame Charlie now, if he has UCONN as one of the last teams to be selected. (I thought I would never say this, but "It is what it is.")

Reaction Score
The good:
1. We won the rebound battle
2. We made 20 assists
3. Ayanna and Ines had good minutes
4. We won the game

What fell short:
1. 18 Turnovers
2. Getting the ball stolen
3. Getting shots blocked.

Team had barely sufficient energy. At times, they controlled the game. Other times, there were bad stretches too. Hopefully Caroline will keep getting better and Lou will recover from whatever has been bothering her. Look forward to Azzi being back for Senior Night or the first game of the tournament.
Add our old bugaboo, missed layups, to the what fell short column. If anyone wants to watch the replay and count them, I'd love to know how many.
Now, having said that, this was a good, gritty win against a team that kept making difficult shots (until the last few minutes).
And the UConn men got another nice win today on national TV.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I was impressed with DePaul. I checked the brackets and could not see anyone picking. Them to get in the big dance. I hope they do well in the BE tournament because from what I saw today they have some really good players and would be a tough game for a higher seed to deal with. I am concerned that UConn just does not appear, at least to my eyes, ready for either the BE or NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
She had 4 head scratching TOs and some iffy passes her teammates saved. She just seems not quite herself lately but I can say that for all the starters but Aubrey. Big props to Aubrey for her play today
Yeah, let’s focus on her bad plays, she has become this years Williams/Ono. She had 8 assists and at least 3 other passes for point blank layups that were missed, 13 points, including Uconn’s last 5, and oh, basically was switched onto a red hot Rogers and pretty much took her out of the game. She had 8 points in the 1st qtr against Griffin, 7 the rest of the way after the switch, 3 of which came when Griffin was on her and didn’t close out at all on a 3 pointer. And oh by the way, Griffin, who did play well, had 5 TOs of her own. Yes, Muhl turns the ball over, she also gets the team more than their share of easy points. She could have easily had 12-14 assists today with missed bunnies and wide open jump shots. Part of the game, but there’s plenty of good to go along with the bad.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
First off, the team held on for a win. It has been a perplexing season. The tight games continue late into the fourth quarter. At this point, the question has to be asked. Is UConn overrated or does the Big East deserve credit for being an under appreciated, competitive conference?

Thankfully, the team showed the emotion that had decidedly been low-key in the last couple of games. Unfortunately, this team seems to be consistent in its inconsistency. A player will have a good individual game, followed by a subpar one.

Collectively, I feel the team has allowed doubt to creep in over the past 10 games. It happens to teams all the time. Some never recover and their season is essentially over. It won't happen to this team, but their margin of error has dwindled.

On high notes, it was great to Ines take an outside shot and make it. Hopefully, today was a huge confidence builder for Ayanna - the most productive minutes for her in a long time. Caroline, who never says no to a shot, looked much better after the St. John's game.

It looks like every game beginning in the Big East tourney to the Big Dance will be entertaining and close. It's been awhile since UConn entered the tournament and wasn't confidently penciled in to make the Final Four. This year, if they make it, it will have been earned.
It's earned EVERY year! Good grief!

Reaction Score
I feel like Monday is the perfect thing for this team right now - hopefully a relatively easy game, senior night, nika should get the record, get some game time for the bench. Big Gampel crowd. Hopefully will lift their spirits as they head into post season. All it takes is one game to turn the confidence around + looks like azzi will be back maybe for the big east tournament. Things are on the up (hopefully)
What could go wrong - 6" of snow ?

Reaction Score
Add our old bugaboo, missed layups, to the what fell short column. If anyone wants to watch the replay and count them, I'd love to know how many.
Now, having said that, this was a good, gritty win against a team that kept making difficult shots (until the last few minutes).
And the UConn men got another nice win today on national TV.
Go Huskies!
According to what Nan posted in #29, UCONN made 13-28 layups. Not good. Fortunately, it was just enough.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We sure have a lot of "coaches" on this board. Absolutely amazing.

A win to clinch a tie for the regular season title. DePaul is always a difficult game on their court. This team does not quit. They scrap and claw to win. It ain't pretty but who cares.

Nan mentioned Maya's heroics and don't forget Ketia Swanier's end to end dash for a win.

Remember Tug McGraw's line when he was with the Mets - "You Gotta Believe."

On to Monday night.

Reaction Score
Ayanna's best game of the year...very aggressive at the right time.

I again have bv to give credit where it's due... Mike's Mango did not let me down... I had 4 of them today...and I know the Mike's MOJO helped our team win.

Go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#