Dennis Dodd: Notre Dame should join a conference sooner rather than later | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: Notre Dame should join a conference sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter. Purdue and Illinois will make multiple millions per year more in TV money. ND isn't interested in making the most TV money. The NBC contract is the vehicle that allows it to remain independent in football and have all of its games televised every Saturday OTA (which is a big deal to ND).

The AAC has something in common with Notre Dame. We also went for exposure over money in our TV contract.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, why do about 110 or so FBS schools play football, exactly? Outside of the usual 15 or so suspects, most of the other programs have very little chance of making the playoffs or winning a national championship.

Don't their alumni have egos? I know you guys don't like to hear from ND fans when discussing ND....but what if ND decides that it values independence over playoff access? It is allowed to decide that for itself.

Playoffs are a once in a while thing, but independence and branding are 24/7/365.

(Back to reading and not posting.....).
Nah, we just don't like to hear from ND fans when a visitor to the board vaguely alludes to ND. This is fair game. IMHO.

Reaction Score
Who in their right mind is a fan of a football team's branding.

Oh they lost Saturday but they grew the brand!

No one said that. I said that full time independence may trump a once in a blue moon alleged "better" (possible not probable) shot at a playoff berth as a conference member.

This is about conference realignment, isn't it? That is a bigger issue than last Saturday's game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one said that. I said that full time independence may trump a once in a blue moon alleged "better" (possible not probable) shot at a playoff berth as a conference member.

This is about conference realignment, isn't it? That is a bigger issue than last Saturday's game.

The five worst things about the internet:

1. Daily Fantasy Sports
2. Social Media Professionals
3. Child Smutographers
4. Uncompensated people talking about branding.
5. Lists

Reaction Score
Agree with TerryD. T If football was the key to branding and alum donations, why did the Ivies allow their sports to sink into mediocrity?

The short answer ? In football ? .... because the Ivies could not compete at the highest levels any longer, once segregation ended, without making major, major concessions in their academic qualifiers for admittance to their schools.... thats why. So they opted to keep their academic qualifiers intact, and play football at a lower level division amongst themselves. Remember, unlike most other schools, the Ivies did not need the dough that bigtime football could potentially offer as an inducement to the school's national branding and growth prospects.

Reaction Score
That's my point. ND currently has a top 10 endowment. More than some of the Ivies. They don't need football and a NC chase in order to attend alumni donations. It's all about being a national brand. That trumps playing in a conference championship game.

Reaction Score
Not if you're Fox. There are two sides to the media deals. The P5 can't move without both partners being happy. They are all intertwined financially.

Which I why I don't think the B12 will collapses and why I think this year's B12 champ gets the VIP treatment if it's a close call for the last spot.

To paraphrase Apollo Creed's cornerman, most people don't know it's a show. They think it's a real fight. NCAA Football isn't a real merit based competition, it's a show.

You have overthought this by a lot. I am not saying the selection will be devoid of politics, but if the crap you are talking about happens it will come out because someone will want a book deal.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
You have overthought this by a lot. I am not saying the selection will be devoid of politics, but if the crap you are talking about happens it will come out because someone will want a book deal.

Perhaps this is true but remember who is on this panel. These are people hand picked by the P5. It may only take the known biases of a handful of people to alter the result. I'm assuming the 4th spot would be close in any objective process.

There doesn't need to be an overt conspiracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom