Dennis Dodd: Notre Dame should join a conference sooner rather than later | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: Notre Dame should join a conference sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ohio State had a better resume than Baylor or TCU. It was pretty simple.

There are a million variables in any season and you are defining a handful and ignoring the impact of the rest.

You are saying 12-1 PAC 12 always trumps 11-1 Notre Dame - it depends on who they beat, who they didn't, where it happened and on and on.

Does not having a title game hurt them? Some years sure, if you don't have a title game you can't lose it - and if others lose it may be a net positive.
Also depends on which P12 team. A 12-1 Oregon State would not trump ND, a 12-1 USC winning the P12 CG would trump an 11-1 ND.

While impossible to prove, my guess is that if it was Texas and Oklahoma that finished 11-1 in the B12 (and not TCU/Baylor), one or possibly both probably get in as the 4th team last year. The Frogs andBears name cache was lacking, and with humans making the selections that had to have been a factor, even if only subconsciously

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also depends on which P12 team. A 12-1 Oregon State would not trump ND, a 12-1 USC winning the P12 CG would trump an 11-1 ND.

While impossible to prove, my guess is that if it was Texas and Oklahoma that finished 11-1 in the B12 (and not TCU/Baylor), one or possibly both probably get in as the 4th team last year. The Frogs andBears name cache was lacking, and with humans making the selections that had to have been a factor, even if only subconsciously

They picked the team with the best resume (OSU). Until they don't pick the team with the best resume it's complete speculation that name value is a difference maker.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Let me first preface my ramblings with the statement that I truly don't believe ND will join a conference in the next decade. But...

...this seems like a perfect opportunity for the ACC to add the last two remaining eastern giants in ND and UConn. Get to 16, acquire enough Brand muscle to finally push an ACCN through, and put up a territorial wall west of NYC to weaken the B1G's mission to p1ss all over every major market between Chicago and New York. Then sit and wait to see if you can add some more football muscle when the B12 eventually implodes.

At this point, the ACC should be less concerned with losing potential candidates to the B12 and more concerned with losing potential candidates to the B1G. If Cincinnati went to the B12 tomorrow then oh well. They'll just wait a few years for the conference to implode and grab them then, if they really wanted. The B1G or SEC aren't going anywhere but the B12 certainly looks like a dead conference walking (or maybe "sitting on their hands").

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Taylor Zarzur and Greg McElroy closed First Take this morning talking about ND joining the ACC as a full member. They both said that ND will be a full ACC member in 3-5 yrs when CR landscape changes again.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Let's see what Dabo and the ACC think though after Notre Dame wins this Saturday and his tigers - and the rest of the ACC are frozen out of the CFP.
This is a little tough for me in that in no way do I want ND to win anything ever again, but the CR side of me needs things to shake up and if ND taking the ACC bid does it, that's what I have to root for. ND has three challenging games in a rows with Clemson, Navy and USC-West. Then they have 4 somewhat cupcakes (sorry Temple) and then finish with a currently ranked Stanford team.

Reaction Score
This is a little tough for me in that in no way do I want ND to win anything ever again, but the CR side of me needs things to shake up and if ND taking the ACC bid does it, that's what I have to root for. ND has three challenging games in a rows with Clemson, Navy and USC-West. Then they have 4 somewhat cupcakes (sorry Temple) and then finish with a currently ranked Stanford team.

Honestly I think its better if Clemson wins instead of Notre Dame. Hypothetically if Notre Dame loses this game, but wins out, I think they are out of the playoff. Here is what I project the final four will look like:

1) Ohio State (B1G Champion)
2) Georgia (SEC Champion)
3) Clemson (ACC Champion)
4) UCLA (PAC 12 Champion)
---------------------------------------------
On the Bubble: Michigan State, UCLA, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Alabama, TCU, Baylor

My top four is predicated on the fact that either all four of those teams win their respective conference championships with either an undefeated record or with one loss (in the SEC's case, their champion could even get in with two losses). With the way it is shaping up, I think the Big 12 gets shut out for a second year in a row unless Baylor/TCU goes undefeated because of their softer SOS and the lack of an actual championship game. The only way for Notre Dame to pass a conference champion is if they go undefeated. If a one loss Notre Dame team gets squeezed from the playoff, it might force their hand to join a conference

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If ND loses a game they are out assuming there are at least 4 other one loss teams or if one of those teams is a relative no name, like Baylor or TCU.

Except there is zero chance the B12 champ gets left out this year. Let's say Utah wins the P12 with one loss. ND would go over Utah.

They wouldn't jump anyone in the SEC or BIG. They might "steal" the ACC bid if one of the other 4 Champs loses in the CCG.

Reaction Score
If ND loses a game they are out assuming there are at least 4 other one loss teams or if one of those teams is a relative no name, like Baylor or TCU.

Except there is zero chance the B12 champ gets left out this year. Let's say Utah wins the P12 with one loss. ND would go over Utah.

They wouldn't jump anyone in the SEC or BIG. They might "steal" the ACC bid if one of the other 4 Champs loses in the CCG.

That would be really interesting. Utah is absolutely legit this year, and could win the PAC12. If Michigan continues to gain steam, that could be the signature OOC win that props Utah up against other CFP hopefuls. If it came down to a one loss Notre Dame and a one loss Utah (who wins the PAC12 championship game), I think they would actually go with Utah. I think a bunch of weight is put on these conference title games, plus Utah's SOS and quality wins might actually trump Notre Dame (Michigan, @Oregon) with ranked opponents Cal, USC and UCLA still on the schedule

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Notre Dame isn't going 11-1 so I wouldn't sweat it. They might not even get through Saturday.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Honestly I think its better if Clemson wins instead of Notre Dame.....If a one loss Notre Dame team gets squeezed from the playoff, it might force their hand to join a conference
But if ND does take the ACC bid, that would cause unrest with every team in the ACC. I've read posts about ND staying with their Independence no matter what, so my assumption was that unrest with the rest of the ACC, particularly whoever thinks they should get the bid, is my best bet for getting the pot stirred. I guess either path comes to the same potential result, either the ACC tells ND to poop or get off the pot or they decide to themselves after being locked out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I want ND to win because Navy's victory will be even more delicious. And Navy will beat them.

Reaction Score
Except there is zero chance the B12 champ gets left out this year.

How do you figure? Assuming TCU wins, where is their marquee victory? You really think that a 12-0 TCU team with OOC wins against Minnesota, Stephen F. Austin and SMU is more deserving of a bid than the SEC champ, the B1G champ, a 13-0 undefeated Utah team, and an 11-1 Notre Dame squad?

No way.

Also, Utah's opening day win over Michigan is starting to look better and better every week.

Reaction Score
How do you figure? Assuming TCU wins, where is their marquee victory? You really think that a 12-0 TCU team with OOC wins against Minnesota, Stephen F. Austin and SMU is more deserving of a bid than the SEC champ, the B1G champ, a 13-0 undefeated Utah team, and an 11-1 Notre Dame squad?

No way.

Also, Utah's opening day win over Michigan is starting to look better and better every week.
Well there is that 50-7 shellacking of the horns. Ouch. Even SMU put up 37 on the Frogs.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

No way.

Because we are dealing with a cartel and relationships matter. No way the P5 and their surrogates on the selection committee risk blowing up their brand new playoff by stiffing the B12 two years in a row. The B12 champ will hold all tie breakers plus a little extra. I'm sorry if anyone thinks this process is purely based on merit.

It's also the reason why ND isn't getting in over a 1-loss P5 champ, unless its the ACC.

Reaction Score
Let's say Clemson goes undefeated and wins the ACC. A 1 loss PAC team (Stanford or USC) wins the PAC. A 1 loss (Alamaba) SEC wins the SEC title over another 1 loss team (Georgia). The SEC only gets 1 slot. Undefeated and defending champion Ohio St loses wins the B1G. The XII has 2 1 loss teams. If one of those is Oklahoma, they maybe able to steal a spot (over the PAC winner), but, if the two are a Baylor and TCU, the ZOO is shut out. A lack of a championship game and questionable strength of schedule will continue to haunt the XII.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Let's say Clemson goes undefeated and wins the ACC. A 1 loss PAC team (Stanford or USC) wins the PAC. A 1 loss (Alamaba) SEC wins the SEC title over another 1 loss team (Georgia). The SEC only gets 1 slot. Undefeated and defending champion Ohio St loses wins the B1G. The XII has 2 1 loss teams. If one of those is Oklahoma, they maybe able to steal a spot (over the PAC winner), but, if the two are a Baylor and TCU, the ZOO is shut out. A lack of a championship game and questionable strength of schedule will continue to haunt the XII.

In your scenario the four would be Clemson, B12 champ, Ohio St, and Alabama. The justification would be Oregon is down, UCLA wasn't as advertised, Stanford lost to Northwestern and USC lost to Stanford.

Not saying it's fair (see previous post), it's what would happen.

Reaction Score
In your scenario the four would be Clemson, B12 champ, Ohio St, and Alabama. The justification would be Oregon is down, UCLA wasn't as advertised, Stanford lost to Northwestern and USC lost to Stanford.

Not saying it's fair (see previous post), it's what would happen.

If Stanford's only loss is to Northwestern at the end and Nothwestern goes undefeated until losing to Ohio St in the B1G championship, Stanford would look very good.

Reaction Score
ND should be in the Big East which is essentially a league for Midwestern Catholics and have no flirtacious football relationship.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Let's say Clemson goes undefeated and wins the ACC. A 1 loss PAC team (Stanford or USC) wins the PAC.
Stanford or USC??? Don't count out my Golden Bears of California. Go Bears, 5-0

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It looks like Dodd had to pump up his page views. CR + Notre Dame = More page views.

Notre Dame and possible the Big 12 may wait out the playoff system's expansion to 8 teams. Once that happens, there is no reason for the Big 12 to expand and no reason for ND to join a conference.

The Big 12 would also be better off with just 8 conference games and 2 non-conference games a year against better competition.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
If Stanford's only loss is to Northwestern at the end and Nothwestern goes undefeated until losing to Ohio St in the B1G championship, Stanford would look very good.

Not saying it wouldn't. They still don't get in, because politics.

There are four spots. It the B12 is left out that is the other four saying get a CCG. If they don't allow a CCG for 10 then hit restart on CR.

There is so much more at stake than just who gets to play in a playoff game. The committee is run by the P5. If 4 want to avoid a B12 meltdown then they are going and someone else gets left out.

It will be the ACC unless that team is undefeated. If they are, then it's the P12 that gets left out in favor of the SEC/BIG if all have one loss.

Reaction Score
Not saying it wouldn't. They still don't get in, because politics.

There are four spots. It the B12 is left out that is the other four saying get a CCG. If they don't allow a CCG for 10 then hit restart on CR.

There is so much more at stake than just who gets to play in a playoff game. The committee is run by the P5. If 4 want to avoid a B12 meltdown then they are going and someone else gets left out.

It will be the ACC unless that team is undefeated. If they are, then it's the P12 that gets left out in favor of the SEC/BIG if all have one loss.

Why the hell would any of the other leagues care about a Big 12 meltdown?

Reaction Score
Stanford or USC??? Don't count out my Golden Bears of California. Go Bears, 5-0

Can't discount Iowa either who pulled out an impressive win over Wisconsin in Madison. Was just outlining possible scenarios and meant no disrespect to any program.

Internally, the XII is a solid conference with 4 undefeated teams going into conference play. Three of which are solid in Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma with OK St, K State and W Virginia in the middle while Texas Tech and Iowa St are below average and Kansas and Texas are train wrecks. Going undefeated or ever a 1 loss season within the conference is an achievement and worthy of consideration for a Football Playoff berth. But, the lack of a conference championship games hurts it as that is what the playoff is structured around. The way to overcome that is via a strong out-of-conference schedule, which the XII does not really have considering the top 3 teams have the following schedule in 2015:
  • Baylor: SMU (G5 - AAC), Lamar (FCS), Rice (G5 - CUSA)
  • Oklahoma: Akron (G5 - MAC), Tennessee (P5 - SEC), Tulsa (G5 - AAC)
  • Oklahoma St: Central Michigan (G5 - MAC), Central Arkansas (FCS), UT- San Antonio (G5 - CUSA)
  • TCU - Minnesota (P5 - B1G), SF Austin (FCS), SMU (G5 - AAC)
So combined, the 4 schools play more FCS opponents (3) that P5 (2) and the 2 P5 teams they do play have a combined record of 5 and 5 and neither is remotely close to being ranked. Texas, being the marquee football bring in the XII, is also hurting the conference. Thus, should a 1 loss team from the XII be in competition from a 1 loss conference champion, say Stanford/Cal/USC, from the PAC, for a playoff spot - the XII is going to loose. Heck, lets say an undefeated and defending national champion Ohio St. loses to an undefeated Northwestern/Iowa in the B1G championship, I can easily see such a team taking a spot from a 1 loss XII team (assuming that 1 of the conference champions from the ACC, SEC, and PAC have 2 losses).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom