Dennis Dodd: Notre Dame should join a conference sooner rather than later | The Boneyard

Dennis Dodd: Notre Dame should join a conference sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a good read ...Dodd makes some really good points about ND. It will be interesting to see what happens if a 1 loss ND team gets left out and a 1 loss ACC champ gets in.

Reaction Score
It's a good read ...Dodd makes some really good points about ND. It will be interesting to see what happens if a 1 loss ND team gets left out and a 1 loss ACC champ gets in.
While that's possible, an undefeated FSU team got very little love in the polls last year, FWIW

Reaction Score
I agree wholeheartedly, the roads to a national championship is a lot easier in a p5 then being independent. ACC here we come, but the B1G would be much better.

Reaction Score
I think a 11-1 ND gets in. Too much love for them ($$$$$)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I cannot wait to have ND's desire and pride for independence explained to us again.

It only trails the constant posts and articles claiming Notre Dame can't stay independent.

Broadcast TV contract
+ all your starters back
+ Texas, UVA, Clemson, Georgia Tech, USC, Pitt, Stanford
= must join conference?

Reaction Score
I think a 11-1 ND gets in. Too much love for them ($$$$$)

Really depends on who that 1 loss is to. ND always lays an egg or two and if it's a bcu or pitt team, then No, absolutely not will they go to the playoffs. The p5 has set the tone, ND must run the table, too bad so sad.

Reaction Score
ND plays some good programs, but UMass, Temple, Wake Forest, BCU?

Reaction Score
ND plays some good programs, but UMass, Temple, Wake Forest, BCU?

Most teams have some easy games...

Ohio State will play Hawaii (4-9 last year), Indiana (on a seven year losing season streak and 4-8 last year...and Western Michigan ...who last beat a current P5 team seven seasons past.

Alabama plays Charleston Southern, ULM, and Middle Tennessee...etc., etc

Reaction Score
Most teams have some easy games...

Ohio State will play Hawaii (4-9 last year), Indiana (on a seven year losing season streak and 4-8 last year...and Western Michigan ...who last beat a current P5 team seven seasons past.

Alabama plays Charleston Southern, ULM, and Middle Tennessee...etc., etc
The difference is those teams have to go through a CCG..ND doesn't.

Reaction Score
It only trails the constant posts and articles claiming Notre Dame can't stay independent.

Broadcast TV contract
+ all your starters back
+ Texas, UVA, Clemson, Georgia Tech, USC, Pitt, Stanford
= must join conference?
They play 5 ACC teams every year as an independent. If any 1 loss for ND comes from an ACC team, they will be left out versus the 1 loss ACC champ. 1 loss in 8 conference games probably gets you to a title game and a significantly better chance at the playoff. As an independent, there is no chance to make a definitive statement in a championship game.

Reaction Score
The difference is those teams have to go through a CCG..ND doesn't.

Notre Dame and the Big 12 Champ neither go through a CCG.....But the Big 12 Champ will still be a conference champ. If the committee truly puts great weight on being a conference champ...the Irish may have a problem.

Reaction Score
I think the more likely catalyst to get Notre Dame into a conference is that an 11-1 Notre Dame team beats out an undefeated P-5 team for the CFP.

That type of scenario would anger the P-5 commissioners to the point of forcing their hand and rewriting the rules to make everyone play by the same guidelines in order to be eligible for the playoff.

Reaction Score
I'm almost 40, I feel like I've been reading this type of article since I was 14.

I'm in my 30s too and I agree. This conversation pops up every few seasons when some "really serious journalist" writes that Notre Dame "must join a conference."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They play 5 ACC teams every year as an independent. If any 1 loss for ND comes from an ACC team, they will be left out versus the 1 loss ACC champ. 1 loss in 8 conference games probably gets you to a title game and a significantly better chance at the playoff. As an independent, there is no chance to make a definitive statement in a championship game.

It's way to simplistic to say that.

They will be judged on their resumes for the season. They might lack a chance to add to their resume but you can't make blanket statements like that.

Reaction Score
I think the more likely catalyst to get Notre Dame into a conference is that an 11-1 Notre Dame team beats out an undefeated P-5 team for the CFP.

That type of scenario would anger the P-5 commissioners to the point of forcing their hand and rewriting the rules to make everyone play by the same guidelines in order to be eligible for the playoff.

The selection committee would probably bypass ND and favor two one loss SEC teams, ND will come to that conclusion. They only have a seat at the p5 table.

Reaction Score
It's way to simplistic to say that.

They will be judged on their resumes for the season. They might lack a chance to add to their resume but you can't make blanket statements like that.
I am a simple person. Makes life easier.

I am basing this on a 1 loss ACC champ versus a 1 loss ND team that lost to an ACC team with the belief that the ACC is #4 of the P5 that have a championship game. The ACC champ won a division in a conference and a conference championship game and is presumably 12-1. ND is 11-1 with a loss against an ACC team (could be the champ, maybe another team). How do they leap a league champion with 1 more win when their loss is to a school in that league?

Don't like the ACC example, ND loses to a B1G school and is 11-1 and the B1G Champion is 12-1 or 11-2. Does ND leap that champion too? ND loses to USC and UCLA is the conference champ with 1 loss. How does ND leap them?

We saw how the committee treated the Big 12 without a championship game last year. Why would they treat ND so much differently? Bottom line, the extra game will matter significantly as it is one more game against a top team. It enhances a resume for any winner. ND and the Big 12 lack that extra big game and it makes their path harder. Of course this is just a simple opinion.

Reaction Score
Lucky for Notre Dame, with their schedule this season they won't win ten games. Therefore, Notre Dame and the CFP don't have to worry about ND's playoff chances

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am a simple person. Makes life easier.

I am basing this on a 1 loss ACC champ versus a 1 loss ND team that lost to an ACC team with the belief that the ACC is #4 of the P5 that have a championship game. The ACC champ won a division in a conference and a conference championship game and is presumably 12-1. ND is 11-1 with a loss against an ACC team (could be the champ, maybe another team). How do they leap a league champion with 1 more win when their loss is to a school in that league?

Don't like the ACC example, ND loses to a B1G school and is 11-1 and the B1G Champion is 12-1 or 11-2. Does ND leap that champion too? ND loses to USC and UCLA is the conference champ with 1 loss. How does ND leap them?

We saw how the committee treated the Big 12 without a championship game last year. Why would they treat ND so much differently? Bottom line, the extra game will matter significantly as it is one more game against a top team. It enhances a resume for any winner. ND and the Big 12 lack that extra big game and it makes their path harder. Of course this is just a simple opinion.

Ohio State had a better resume than Baylor or TCU. It was pretty simple.

There are a million variables in any season and you are defining a handful and ignoring the impact of the rest.

You are saying 12-1 PAC 12 always trumps 11-1 Notre Dame - it depends on who they beat, who they didn't, where it happened and on and on.

Does not having a title game hurt them? Some years sure, if you don't have a title game you can't lose it - and if others lose it may be a net positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom