Crazy Thought | The Boneyard

Crazy Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just thinking, if Ollie did end up going pro (I'm not saying he will), would Calhoun come back? I don't think he'd let this program fall off while he is still alive. So what do you guys think, is this thought as crazy as it sounds or could it be a possibility?

Reaction Score
You're not 100% crazy...was thinking the same thing myself earlier

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There will always be a chorus of people pining for Calhoun, especially people who think that Ollie doesn't have "it". I think he's happy in retirement. The health issues in his final year were pretty debilitating, and I don't know if he'd want to go back to the stress of having to run a basketball program full-time.

Let's face it, JC was a legend and we were lucky to have him. But everyone has to move on at some point.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you saw Adrian Wojnarowski's tweet but he said:

Despite public statement, UConn's Kevin Ollie has significant interest in OKC coaching job, sources tell Yahoo. He's a top choice for Presti

Now this guy isn't some random reporter. Adrian is a very reliable source. This tweet got me worried again.

Reaction Score
Yes, I thought about this earlier but then we would have to deal with the whole age and retiring thing again. Ugh. Definitely it would be contingent on finding a replacement. I wonder how the recruits would feel with JC and not KO as their coach since they have different coaching styles. We would still need a new coach and it might just be a stopgap for this year to prevent a mass exodus. Would need to find a coach fast. Who is out there we could attract to come to UCONN if KO left?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Despite public statement, UConn's Kevin Ollie has significant interest in OKC coaching job, sources tell Yahoo. He's a top choice for Presti

Now this guy isn't some random reporter. Adrian is a very reliable source. This tweet got me worried again.

I know...I just don't think Calhoun at the present juncture is the best move for the program long-term.

Reaction Score
At this point in coaching carousel I could see JC stepping in the role with a 1 year tag and hire someone new following the season.

Reaction Score
I know...I just don't think Calhoun at the present juncture is the best move for the program long-term.
No one is saying long term. Just a stop gap for next year and maybe the following year. Definitely would need to find a replacement really fast.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We'd be crazy not to consider him if he's interested. He'd be great just to stabilize the program and to keep recruits and kids from leaving. He could choose another assistant to groom to be the future. still really hoping wojo is wrong, but that guy has sources....

Reaction Score
At this point in coaching carousel I could see JC stepping in the role with a 1 year tag and hire someone new following the season.
I wouldn't mind seeing JC coach one more year but I rather have KO be on the sidelines next year. He is building a good team for 15-16 and I hope he gets to see it firsthand.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
No one is saying long term. Just a stop gap for next year and maybe the following year. Definitely would need to find a replacement really fast.

If Ollie leaves (God forbid) I want to have a long-term guy immediately. One more year of Calhoun would make the middle-aged adult male population of Connecticut happy beyond belief, but I don't think a year in limbo is going to help at all. Uncertainty kills recruiting.

Reaction Score
We'd be crazy not to consider him if he's interested. He'd be great just to stabilize the program and to keep recruits and kids from leaving. He could choose another assistant to groom to be the future. still really hoping wojo is wrong, but that guy has sources....

Exactly. If zag said that, I wouldn't be worried at all. But woj is one reliable source which is why it scares me.

Reaction Score
If Ollie leaves (God forbid) I want to have a long-term guy immediately. One more year of Calhoun would make the middle-aged adult male population of Connecticut happy beyond belief, but I don't think a year in limbo is going to help at all. Uncertainty kills recruiting.
Well don't think there is any really good candidates out there right now. We might need the stop gap and it would keep the recruits and the transfer we did get this year with the promise of new coach being picked by JC. This is really bad timing for UCONN and we would have our hands tied behind our back if he did leave. JC would be the only viable option if he is even willing to do it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Well don't think there is any really good candidates out there right now. We might need the stop gap and it would keep the recruits and the transfer we did get this year with the promise of new coach picked by JC.

How do we know our new recruits want to play for JC? Completely different dude with a completely different personality.

And I'm pretty sure that KO himself was the one thing that convinced Hamilton to stay with the program.

Bottom line, we all need to hope and pray like crazy that KO stays.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking, if Ollie did end up going pro (I'm not saying he will), would Calhoun come back? I don't think he'd let this program fall off while he is still alive. So what do you guys think, is this thought as crazy as it sounds or could it be a possibility?

Coach looks so healthy and relaxed. It would be a shame if he were to feel like he had to come back. I was getting worried about him at the end there.
I don't understand the allure of the NBA for a college coach. If Ollie goes to coach OKC he could easily be fired after his first year if it doesn't go well. Here if he can maintain a competitive program and get us deep into some tournaments he's a god.

Reaction Score
How do we know our new recruits want to play for JC? Completely different dude with a completely different personality.

And I'm pretty sure that KO himself was the one thing that convinced Hamilton to stay with the program.

Bottom line, we all need to hope and pray like crazy that KO stays.
We don't know but unless we had a backup coach JC might be our only hope if KO leaves. Don't think DHAM will transfer or go NBA even if KO leaves. I think he will play one more year and then be out. Sucks for the player and the recruits right now for sure also.

Reaction Score

Which would mean a 2016 recruiting class of exactly zero players until the next guy is hired...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

No, he's a bag and known UConn hater. Other than Jeff Hathaway and Mark Emmert, no one has done more harm to UConn than Yahoo Sports.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if JC came back, that would stabilize the program. I think the opposite........it puts the program in limbo and suffocates it with more uncertainty.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No, he's a bag and known UConn hater. Other than Jeff Hathaway and Mark Emmert, no one has done more harm to UConn than Yahoo Sports.
Exactly. The timing of this is meant to hurt UConn recruiting. We know Goodman's love for the program! Sarcasm. And Zags appears to be cozying up to the squid.

Reaction Score
I am not sure if JC came back, that would stabilize the program. I think the opposite...it puts the program in limbo and suffocates it with more uncertainty.
So hiring a retread or some unknown coach from lower tier school would stabalize it. I mean if Shaka was out there still I would say fine but he isn't.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We'd probably need to bring the future in at around the same time, but Calhoun would help us win next year. If we hire some random from a lower tier school, he could suck and if he did have a bad year, Uconn basketball would go in the shitter, it's the truth. Calhoun helps protect our brand, bringing him in for a year or 2 ensures we don't suck, while at the same time he could pick his next successor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom