Cox commits to Baylor | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cox commits to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jade Williams isn't leaving Texas either. I warned everyone about Cox and Megan Walker to Notre Dame is not even a secret anymore. Can't speak on the others listed
I'm really torn here! Should I believe you or should I believe Jade? Jade said she will choose from these schools UCONN, Notre Dame, Utah, Duke. Did one of these schools move into Texas?

Reaction Score
Cox will wind up regretting her decision to go to an inferior academic institution and basketball program.
However, on the positive flip side for her, she can enjoy a bagful of munchos on her couch as she watches UCONN play and win national titles annually.
When she's an old woman, she'll tell her grandkids, I could have and should have gone to play for and with the best at UCONN. However, Baylor was close to home, so that trumps all else.
(Side note to Cox), they have these things called the internet, cable TV, and planes, your family can watch basketball games played some distance away or can easily and quickly get to CT to watch them in person. You might want to look into these things.

What is wrong with playing for your state university?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know I way late to the party on this thread but @easttexastrash congrats on great pick up. You guys are going to be formidable.

Reaction Score
Remember, next year Cox will be a frosh. Butler will be in her 4th year of development and Tuck will be in her 5th year. I like our chances in the post for this year and next!! Also, many people say guards win college championships. This year loaded--next year Nurse, Chong Dangerfield, Gabby, and Lou (oh yea--what a 2 guard she could be.) Please don't forget the best coaching tandem in WBB history (10 NC) - Onward and upward.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For those who feel we still need another big, maybe Abrosimova could whisper a few encouraging recruiting words to 17 year old Russian Maria Vadeeva. That kid's dynamite with a huge upside, the winters in Storrs will remind her of Moscow, and Sveta could teach her English ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Rocky- The preacher's son from Hoosiers was named Strap...and Norman Dale could only get him to stop praying and start playing by saying, "Strap, God wants you on the floor." But he was not at the scorers table, Rocky, he was at the bench.

A favorite line, which would definitely qualify as a Geno-ism from the film; when confronted by whiny players who thought he was pushing them too hard:

"My practices aren't designed for your enjoyment."
I love that seen and the following one where, after Strap scores a couple of baskets, says "What got into you?" Straps reply, "The Lord, I feel his power." To which Dale says: "Keep his power in the dribble" or something equivalent.

Reaction Score
Remember, next year Cox will be a frosh. Butler will be in her 4th year of development and Tuck will be in her 5th year. I like our chances in the post for this year and next!! Also, many people say guards win college championships. This year loaded--next year Nurse, Chong Dangerfield, Gabby, and Lou (oh yea--what a 2 guard she could be.) Please don't forget the best coaching tandem in WBB history (10 NC) - Onward and upward.
We're going to be thin at guard next year. We'll have Nurse and? KLS isn't a guard. Dangerfield best case looks like Mo in her freshman year (in other words, not that good), Chong should be serviceable, we'll see what we're going to get from her in a few weeks, and Gabby the jury is still out as she hasn't played guard regularly in 3 years.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Cox committing mid-way through her official visit this weekend tells me that her choice was Baylor all along; no taking time to return home and discuss the pros and cons of all schools under consideration. No further conversations with any head coaches.

The family kept things very tight-lipped throughout the recruiting process No idea why mtsuraider continued to insist that Notre Dame was the leader; completely inaccurate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We're going to be thin at guard next year. We'll have Nurse and? KLS isn't a guard. Dangerfield best case looks like Mo in her freshman year (in other words, not that good), Chong should be serviceable, we'll see what we're going to get from her in a few weeks, and Gabby the jury is still out as she hasn't played guard regularly in 3 years.
Unless Molly is better than we are projecting or Courtney stays healthy and lives up to her ranking as best shooter in the class. Harris, Chou & Inescou & Caretti still uncommitted but no indication any are considering UCONN. Best option is to leave as for 1 year & entice Walker with the immediate availability of minutes at SG/SF. Walker would join a 3 Guard rotation with Nurse, Dangerfield while ND is going to be very guard heavy.

JS

Reaction Score
Cox will wind up regretting her decision to go to an inferior academic institution and basketball program.
However, on the positive flip side for her, she can enjoy a bagful of munchos on her couch as she watches UCONN play and win national titles annually.
When she's an old woman, she'll tell her grandkids, I could have and should have gone to play for and with the best at UCONN. However, Baylor was close to home, so tharusht trumps all else.
(Side note to Cox), they have these things called the internet, cable TV, and planes, your family can watch basketball games played some distance away or can easily and quickly get to CT to watch them in person. You might want to look into these things.
We pause at this delicate juncture to note the thread is on its way to hundreds of posts -- gracious, analytical, indifferent, as varied as the personalities of Boneyarders (if you get past a sneaking suspicion that we're all somewhat demented).

This is the type of post that, unfortunately, will be seized upon by those wishing to paint the reaction of UConn fans, when recruits go elsewhere, with a broad and unflattering brush.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm really torn here! Should I believe you or should I believe Jade? Jade said she will choose from these schools UCONN, Notre Dame, Utah, Duke. Did one of these schools move into Texas?

I don't think that was her final list. Just a list of the confirmed home visits for September. I don't think she has given a list yet.

Reaction Score
My wife, whose interest in sports perpetually hovers very close to the zero level, professes to be very pleased with this news. She will actually look up from her book or her needlework to see what Kim is wearing, but is generally frustrated that late-season, nationally televised opportunities to do so have grown relatively rare of late. As for me, I agree with those who are OK with any decision of Lauren's that excludes Notre Dame! Having said that, after watching her play this summer, I certainly admire Lauren's talent but feel she's got quite a way to go to be college-level ready. I'm sure (and hope) that Kim will do a good job with her, but with the talent Baylor will lose to graduation they have to follow this nice coup up with additional top recruiting classes to extend their window of opportunity for another NC. Lauren will not make that big a difference right out of the gate.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
How so?

What has made Davis a scintillating performer is her unique nose for where the BB is going to be and where she should position herself to maximize her play and do the most damage. Like thinking 5 moves ahead in chess.

You'd think that that attribute is common but actually it is quite rare...something akin to the unique skills that Louis Armstrong brought to Jazz and is the very trait that allows Kiah to snatch so many boards and get so many blocks.

That god-given ability will translate very well to the pros despite other perceived weaknesses.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think that was her final list. Just a list of the confirmed home visits for September. I don't think she has given a list yet.
Certainly not a finalized list yet for Jade but still noteworth for the absence of ANY Texas schools.
Also documented in two places ESPN Hoopgurlz & Wiseeyesports. I'm just saying for a girl who intends NOT to leave the state I would expect at least 1 Texas school, instead I hear about UTAH from her own lips.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What has made Davis a scintillating performer is her unique nose for where the BB is going to be and where she should position herself to maximize her play and do the most damage. Like thinking 5 moves ahead in chess.

You'd think that that attribute is common but actually it is quite rare...something akin to the unique skills that Louis Armstrong brought to Jazz and is the very trait that allows Kiah to snatch so many boards and get so many blocks.

That god-given ability will translate very well to the pros despite other perceived weaknesses.
I disagree. I Love Davis, she will eventually be a 3 time All American but she will not be able to play any where near the post in the WNBA at 5' 10-11". Her perimeriter skills (ball handling, passing & shooting) are no where good enough for her to make an WNBA roster. Aleshia Welch of South Carolina played effectively in the post in the NCAA had all the heart, leadership & determination in the world was released in training camp by WNBA and she is 3 inches taller than Davis. Even our very own Gabby, absent significantly improved perimeter skills would struggle in WNBA post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When she's an old woman, she'll tell her grandkids, I could have and should have gone to play for and with the best at UCONN. However, Baylor was close to home, so that trumps all else.
Remix: I wish Lauren all the best (except....). I hope she will never regret her decision to attend Baylor a very reputable academic institution and a recent multiple national championship WCBB program.
If in the near future UCONN happens to be playing for a national Championship, I hope that Lauren is playing in the Championship game. When Lauren is an older woman and blessed to have grandchildren she will explain her decision to attend Baylor the same way she explaind it in October of 2015-Not that she owes anyone an explanation. If part of that explanation is that she stayed close to home to be closer to her siblings-that is something we should all collectively applaud because no amount of internet, cable TV, and planes trains or automobiles could ever replace being home for her brothers and sisters.
How very mature of Lauren to come to that realization now as opposed to a year from now when she is several hundred miles away from where her heart is.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
UCONN women's basketball could move into Texas and be number one in that state,too.;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN women's basketball could move into Texas and be number one in that state,too.;)
Might not be a bad idea consider the amount of talent coming out of that state. Cox could have stayed home, Jade still can.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, drat. Congrats easttexastrash and any other Baylor folks around. They are going to be quite formidable in the post

Now those folks who said that she was ND's to lose have some explaining to do...
I think the explantion is gonna go something like this:
Others: She was ND's to lose & ND lost her.
Me: Thank God she didn't pick ND.

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings on this. The roster was packed to begin with and minutes were/are going to be an issue, but certainly Cox would've been an excellent addition. That said, and as good as Baylor will be, this is better than having her land in South Bend.
Better Baylor rather than nd for her as she won't be frustrated for four years coming so close but never winning the final game.

Tory McCoy is apparently down to Tennessee and Ohio State, incidentally.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We pause at this delicate juncture to note the thread is on its way to hundreds of posts -- gracious, analytical, indifferent, as varied as the personalities of Boneyarders (if you get past a sneaking suspicion that we're all somewhat demented).

This is the type of post that, unfortunately, will be seized upon by those wishing to paint the reaction of UConn fans, when recruits go elsewhere, with a broad and unflattering brush.
There's always one.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member