Cox commits to Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cox commits to Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
She will give the best players the most playing time. ;)

Agreed! But. Will that cause some defections?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's disappointing but oddly not much. Great player but the fact that I genuinely like her as s person makes me happy for her. She's a smart kid who took her time. Can't help but wish her tons of success (unless she's playing us).

Know what you mean. Oddly, over it and moving on.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Baylor had Griner and won 1 NC. Baylor was undefeated one season and still only won one NC. During that same period UConn won 2. Hey I still like our chances to continue are NC runs. One player doesn't make a team and although Cox would have put UConn at another level we still have a couple of years to pick up another big. Butler is the real deal and we have her 3 more years, along with former number 1 picks Tuck and Katie Lou. UConn continues to reload, every other team is rebuilding . Im sure Cox will face Butler and UConn a couple of times. Remember BB is a team game. One go to player helps your chances for a NC but when you face UConn with a bunch of go to players well there isn't any team like UConn. Baylor will be good...but UConn good they still have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
If Baylor adds in Chou and Kyrse what will the scholarship situation look like.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor will be good...but UConn good they still have a long way to go.

Doesn't every team? It would take getting Chou and maybe one of the other guards that Baylor still has a shot at (Chou, Wilson, Gondrezick) to put them at UCONN goodness. Baylor already has a commit from "Juicy" Landrum, number 26 on Orangutan's composite rankings.

Reaction Score
We have Butler for another 3 years.
We have KLS for another 4 years.
We still will be #1.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
We have Butler for another 3 years.
We have KLS for another 4 years.
We still will be #1.

Next year will look very different without Stewart, Jefferson and possibly Tuck. But UCONN just reloads so I doubt that those three would be missed at all.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Baylor adds in Chou and Kyrse what will the scholarship situation look like.

Baylor has four scholarships for next year and has received two verbals, leaving two available scholarships.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Here is a clue from Lauren's quote on one of the reasons she chose Baylor.
After 5 great visits to 5 amazing programs, I'm blessed to say that I have committed to Baylor University.

A lot of folks around Baylor thought that Chou would commit to Baylor if Cox committed. Baylor was the only common team on their final lists. We shall see if this theory is proven out. This could be the tipping point for a couple of guards that Baylor is still in the running for (Chou, Wilson and Gondrezick). Mulkey was an assistant coach when Gondrezick's mom played at La Tech. This could be a blockbuster class.

Congrats ETT! I'm excited to see what Baylor does in the coming years.. the talent level is through the roof in Waco

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Baylor will be mighty good next year. Here's an off hand lineup/depth chart prediction:
C: Khadijiah Cave
F: Nina Davis
F: Lauren Cox
G: Alexis Jones
G: Kristy Wallace
Bench:
Beatrice Mompremier
Kalani Brown
Alexis Prince

If the incoming posts are as good as their fans are hoping, Baylor is going to be very very difficult to match up with come 2016-17. It should be the most competitive year in women's college basketball since 2008 with Connecticut, Baylor, Tennessee, South Carolina, Texas, Notre Dame, Duke, Louisville and others having incredibly stacked rosters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed but not very surprised. She seemed to want to stay close to home. Baylor has 2 NCs, a loaded lineup, and a proven coach.

Congrats to Lauren and Baylor.

Out margin just got smaller, and the pressure on our bigs increased. I'd love to get more size soon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised she passed on UCONN considering how frequently top recruits have opted for UCONN, and she would have slid into the lineup nicely. She'd be a perfect replacement for Stewart/Tuck (if she leaves after this year) and would form a massive frontcourt with Butler. She'd get a lot of good looks with KLS, Collier, Nurse and Dangerfield on the perimeter and would have fit nicely into the offense. UCONN will be fine without her, and I'd anticipate they'll run a 1 post offense with Butler if Tuck opts for the W and go with a formidable starting 5 of Dangerfield (if she's ready to go from day 1), Nurse, KLS, Collier and Butler. Still potentially good enough to win a title IMO, but not quite the same juggernaut that UCONN has been the last 3-4 years.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
South Carolina will be the main team to be concerned with in 2016/2017. I don't think Cox will be able to handle their frontline or UCONN's frontline her freshman season. SC's frontline will be huge and Louisville will be loaded. Baylor's weakness will be at the coaching level, imo. How do you win just one NC with Griner and Sims?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Still potentially good enough to win a title IMO, but not quite the same juggernaut that UCONN has been the last 3-4 years.

Constant juggernauts can get boring. Those two "off years" in which the Huskies lost in the semi-finals re-energized my desire to win.

As for Baylor, they have a two-year window to compete for a title. Next's year's team could be great but they lose Davis, Jones, Cave, and Prince afterwards. Pressure will be on.

Reaction Score
Kind of bizarre that Texas has like...2 top 15 point guards, 2 top 10 shooting guards, and 2 top 10 small forwards. Then their best post player was ranked in the 70's.

Meanwhile, Baylor has 3 top 15-20 power forward/post players, while their guards are much lower.

If you swapped one of Baylor's bigs for one of Texas's guards, you'd have two outstanding teams. But right now, they both look a bit lopsided. Of course Baylor is still in the mix for Chou, but I don't think Texas has any more bigs in the mix for them for 2016.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
South Carolina will be the main team to be concerned with in 2016/2017. I don't think Cox will be able to handle their frontline or UCONN's frontline her freshman season. SC's frontline will be huge and Louisville will be loaded. Baylor's weakness will be at the coaching level, imo. How do you win just one NC with Griner and Sims?

Baylor's front line will consist of 6-7 Brown, 6-4 Mompremier and 6-4 Cox. I'm not sure which team will be bigger than that. Cox won't be going it alone in the paint. At this point UCONN really has only one true big for 2016-2017, from what I can see.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Feel better now?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Regarding Baylor's future: Per Rebecca Lobo, Nina Davis is eligible to go pro after this year (age). Nina went to HS at an urban school in Memphis. I hope she stays and gets her degree, but circumstances may impel her to make the jump early.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Kind of bizarre that Texas has like...2 top 15 point guards, 2 top 10 shooting guards, and 2 top 10 small forwards. Then their best post player was ranked in the 70's.

Meanwhile, Baylor has 3 top 15-20 power forward/post players, while their guards are much lower.

If you swapped one of Baylor's bigs for one of Texas's guards, you'd have two outstanding teams. But right now, they both look a bit lopsided. Of course Baylor is still in the mix for Chou, but I don't think Texas has any more bigs in the mix for them for 2016.

Baylor is still in the running for Chou (#2 guard) and Wilson (#5 guard) so there are a couple of pieces still to be put in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom