Couple seasons in, are you used to the new branding? | The Boneyard

Couple seasons in, are you used to the new branding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A couple years in now, other than our joke of a football helmet (seriously, it's time to cut the crap and give us back the block 'C'), I generally think Nike did a good job with the brand overhaul. I didn't think we actually needed an overhaul, but if we had to have one, it definitely could've gone worse (see State, Oregon).

Personally, though, I still miss the old (2002-2013) logo. Aesthetically, there's nothing wrong with the new one, so it might just be that in my mind I associate the old logo with the Big East days and the new logo with the American. Not a favorable comparison.

I'm not a fan of the new court design. The new logo at center court actually looks great, maybe even better than the old one did, but everything else is too busy.

6479_474137832666041_954924570_n-jpg.3094

Typically the programs with tradition (be it in college or the NBA), have a simple, clean court design. Gimmicks like different shading inside the 3 point line and sticking a logo everywhere there's room just feels cheap. The clipart-esque American logos don't help. I think getting rid of the "UConn Huskies" type that wraps around the upper corners would probably be good.

On the other hand, I think the football field design is awesome.

image.jpg

Nice and simple. Unique center field logo that might actually be intimidating if the team were any good. I like that they kept the block font for the yardage numbers and end zone text. Only thing I'd change would be making the end zone color blue instead of white, or maybe just getting rid of the fill color altogether and just having the UCONN text.

Aaaanyway. I know we kind of discussed this subject to death back when the new logo and designs were first introduced, but over time I've gotten used to them and (in most cases) I like them more now than I originally did.

Reaction Score
I am very unhappy with the new logo - violence against women on campus ha gone up 5% since the implementation of the new design, and there has been a lot of hostility directed at female announcers and Goodman (who is a bit feminine).

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
The new logo has grown on me and am fine with it. However, the new Jonathon costume is another story.

And in terms of courts, at least its not like the Oregon court - that's the ugliest one I have seen. When seeing it live its
like someone spilled a huge can of paint in the middle.

UNIVERSITY-OF-OREGON-BASKETBALL-COURT-DESIGN-BY-TINKER-HATFIELD.png

Reaction Score
Not a fan at all with the new logo. That's why my avatar is the old husky logo. The only reasons why they changed the logo is to sell more merchandise and apparently the women's soccer and field hockey teams had a problem with the logo. It wasn't intimating enough from them. At last check how much revenue do those teams make the university? They should not even have a say in anything.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The new Husky logo absolutely sucks. It's a wolf, not a husky. Why we wanted to look like everybody else in college sports is beyond my comprehension. We should have stayed with the all-white Siberian, which was distinctive and nobody else had it. We have had all-white Siberian husky mascots since Jonathan II, circa 1935.

I'm in favor of occasional rebranding. If we wanted a meaner-looking all-white Husky logo, that would have been fine with me, but not this abomination. We might as well change the school nickname to Wolfpack. I'm not buying anything with the wolf on it.

Reaction Score
The new Husky logo absolutely sucks. It's a wolf, not a husky. Why we wanted to look like everybody else in college sports is beyond my comprehension. We should have stayed with the all-white Siberian, which was distinctive and nobody else had it. We have had all-white Siberian husky mascots since Jonathan II, circa 1935.

I'm in favor of occasional rebranding. If we wanted a meaner-looking all-white Husky logo, that would have been fine with me, but not this abomination. We might as well change the school nickname to Wolfpack. I'm not buying anything with the wolf on it.

I mean, it's hard to argue that the new logo doesn't look more like a Husky than the old one...

siberian-husky_medium.jpg

My love for the old one is based mostly on nostalgia rather than aesthetics.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's fine. A moot point overall. I mean I didn't like it when the Husky Dog started wearing pants but I got over it.

Reaction Score
Yes, I was used to it pretty much immediately.
The new Husky logo absolutely sucks. It's a wolf, not a husky.

Please look at some husky pictures. There are different varieties.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I mean, it's hard to argue that the new logo doesn't look more like a Husky than the old one...

siberian-husky_medium.jpg

My love for the old one is based mostly on nostalgia rather than aesthetics.

That's very true...it looks just like Washington's, Northern Illinois', Northeastern's and every other school with a husky mascot. They could have just redone the logo with the all-white Siberian. All you have to do is take the dark blue color shading off the face and you're done.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The new husky is a hundred times better than the 2000s era fluffy cartoonish Jonathan.

I like the 90s Husky the best and preferred it to stay all white, but that logo looks dated for 2015.

Jerseys are cool and I like how they are more uniform across all teams, i.e. no special logos per sport and everyone is UCONN, not UC, not Connecticut etc.

The football helmet though.. sigh. I was a supporter at first but it's just embarrassing at this point. Coupled with the on field product.

They won't use the block C, but maybe just throw UCONN on them or the husky and call it a day.

Reaction Score
As one who owned a design agency for many years I think the new identification is fine but some of the executions are puzzling. I smell too much client involvement in the executions or a graphic designer falling too much in love with his/hers product. If the football helmet application was Ward's or Susan's idea fans better get used to it.
My recommendation would be to send some of the executions that don't work to a different agency and make some application changes. They may only have to go back and look at the original application presentation to find a better alternative without diluting the overall impact of the brand identification. The solution really isn't all that difficult. That said, the helmet sucks.

Reaction Score
I remember, when I was a kid, watching a UConn/Georgetown game with my parents. The fact that our logo was pleasant and friendly made it easy to identify UConn as the "good guys," while Georgetown's pissy-looking bulldog made them look evil. I like that we were distinct in that way, and it's a bummer that our logo is now so much more generic.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I like the new branding. We won a title with it, so it's time to accept it, folks.

Change is not always bad. The old logo was what we were used to, but that dog always looked dumb as sh/t. "I LOVE YOU PLEASE FEED ME I LIKE BASKETBALL."

The fact that the introduction of our new logo coincided with us joining this garbage conference probably hasn't helped its acceptance.

Reaction Score
I like the new branding. We won a title with it, so it's time to accept it, folks.

Change is not always bad. The old logo was what we were used to, but that dog always looked dumb as sh/t. "I LOVE YOU PLEASE FEED ME I LIKE BASKETBALL."

The fact that the introduction of our new logo coincided with us joining this garbage conference probably hasn't helped its acceptance.
It's not liking changing our logo was the key in winning us the Championship. The new logo didn't hit threes from 30 feet out, post up on the block, or swat away oppositions shots.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
A couple years in now, other than our joke of a football helmet (seriously, it's time to cut the crap and give us back the block 'C'), I generally think Nike did a good job with the brand overhaul. I didn't think we actually needed an overhaul, but if we had to have one, it definitely could've gone worse (see State, Oregon).

Oddly enough, I think the oregon st rebranded uniforms would make a damned fine replacement for ours, in national flag blue and white, of course...

Oregon_State_2013_Uniforms.png

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's not liking changing our logo was the key in winning us the Championship. The new logo didn't hit threes from 30 feet out, post up on the block, or swat away oppositions shots.

Oh, really? I thought it did. Hmm. This changes everything.

(My point was to blunt any "the new logo is bad karma" argument.)

Reaction Score

Personally, though, I still miss the old (2002-2013) logo. Aesthetically, there's nothing wrong with the new one, so it might just be that in my mind I associate the old logo with the Big East days and the new logo with the American. Not a favorable comparison.

I'm not a fan of the new court design. The new logo at center court actually looks great, maybe even better than the old one did, but everything else is too busy.

6479_474137832666041_954924570_n-jpg.3094

Typically the programs with tradition (be it in college or the NBA), have a simple, clean court design. Gimmicks like different shading inside the 3 point line and sticking a logo everywhere there's room just feels cheap. The clipart-esque American logos don't help. I think getting rid of the "UConn Huskies" type that wraps around the upper corners would probably be good.

On the other hand, I think the football field design is awesome.

image.jpg

Nice and simple. Unique center field logo that might actually be intimidating if the team were any good. I like that they kept the block font for the yardage numbers and end zone text. Only thing I'd change would be making the end zone color blue instead of white, or maybe just getting rid of the fill color altogether and just having the UCONN text.

Aaaanyway. I know we kind of discussed this subject to death back when the new logo and designs were first introduced, but over time I've gotten used to them and (in most cases) I like them more now than I originally did.

I have grown to LOVE the new logo. I hope to God they never go back to the old one. I still HATE the football uniforms though - going back to Block C yesterday is not soon enough. I do not like the new announcer girl. I HATE this conference. I hate the teams in it, I hate the other fans in it, I hate thinking that these are supposed to be our "rivalry" games, and I hate thinking our basketball tournament is a traveling roadshow instead of being in NYC.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The one thing that bothers me still is why the Husky covers the top of the O in the logo. Is there like some design rationale for that. Looks weird to me every time I see it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
New logo is great - but I liked it from the start. Felt like a step up to the 21st century. A little edgier which is great for UCONN. And it's the old logo that really looked nothing like a Husky. You mostly see black and white huskies, or brown and white. Very few huskies are pure white, so those complaints don't hold water (that the new logo looks less like a husky than the old one).

Plus, a white husky looks too much like a samoyed, which obviously isn't a husky at all and so very confusing...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom