Couple seasons in, are you used to the new branding? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Couple seasons in, are you used to the new branding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
A little perspective changes a lot. Two years ago, I was very unhappy about the logo change, but given developments in the past two years (men's and women's national title not withstanding), I've got much bigger concerns than our logo. Now I just want to see the logo I hate emblazoned on fields and courts in a new conference.

Reaction Score
I find it odd that pro sports franchises have turned towards the retro trend (Blue Jays, O's, Warriors, Hornets,Sixers, etc.) to sell merchandise while College branding has gone more modern and sleek to try and boost sales despite being more rich in tradition. As for our branding who really cares? They'll just be another re brand in 10 years anyway.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
New logo is great - but I liked it from the start. Felt like a step up to the 21st century. A little edgier which is great for UCONN. And it's the old logo that really looked nothing like a Husky. You mostly see black and white huskies, or brown and white. Very few huskies are pure white, so those complaints don't hold water (that the new logo looks less like a husky than the old one).

Plus, a white husky looks too much like a samoyed, which obviously isn't a husky at all and so very confusing...;)

upload_2015-2-27_13-14-25.jpeg

Husky vs. Samoyed

So what? A friend of mine used to breed the all-white Siberians. They are very rare, like our old mascot used to be. Now we're the same as everybody else. Alums of schools with husky mascots have accused us of stealing their logos.

Jonathan I was the great grandson of one of the huskies on Admiral Byrd's North Pole sled dog team in 1909.

Jonathan II was a cousin of Jonathan I. In September, 1936 at a football game vs. Brown in Providence, he chased the Brown bear up a tree. The bear was so traumatized he refused to come down from his perch. The Providence Fire Dept. had to be called in to rescue the terrified bruin.

Jonathan III chased the Yale bulldog all over the field at the Yale Bowl.

Jonathan IV, who served in the late 1940's and 1950's, was a Siberian-Eskimo-Samoyed mix. He bit Yale's bulldog on the nose. He's also famous for making an appearance at MSG in 1951 for UCONN"s first NCAA tournament appearance. The crowd at MSG went wild when he entered the arena.

Our all-white Siberians were tough!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I still like my cartoony white husky, think the new husky looks like something I made on my Tandy 1000 when I was 6. But I'm over bitchin about it. I do like that we have reverted back to the late 90's/ early 2000 uni's, eventhough they're missing the red stripe on the shorts.

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

This helmet needs to happen. The block C was terribly bland and gave us no unique identity. I am fine with the new ones but these are better.
Sorry, I absolutely hate that helmet.

Reaction Score

This helmet needs to happen. The block C was terribly bland and gave us no unique identity. I am fine with the new ones but these are better.
That is a GREAT helmet design. I might actually watch our football team if they started wearing that.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
^ I agree wasn't a fan of the old helmet or the new helmet really, the block c was just boring like the rest of the uniform and the current just doesn't work it was meant to look intimidating I wouldn't mind a change though.

Reaction Score
Blaming a logo (husky) for domestic violence or any violence relating to sports is as ignorant as one could be. Cheeky whoever the hell he is as stupid about this as he is on his BB posts.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I like the new branding. We won a title with it, so it's time to accept it, folks.

Change is not always bad. The old logo was what we were used to, but that dog always looked dumb as sh/t. "I LOVE YOU PLEASE FEED ME I LIKE BASKETBALL."

The fact that the introduction of our new logo coincided with us joining this garbage conference probably hasn't helped its acceptance.
FB has won 1 game against a team with a +.500 record since new branding. BB won 3 titles with the old.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Bland like ND, Alabama and Piss St helmets?

Those school ALL have unique ID with bland. We have a looney tunes character now - hey - but it ain't bland.

Reaction Score
The one thing that bothers me still is why the Husky covers the top of the O in the logo. Is there like some design rationale for that. Looks weird to me every time I see it.
This is a fairly common design element. There is nothing weird about it IMO.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is a fairly common design element. There is nothing weird about it IMO.

What's the thought behind it? Just seems weird that the U C N N are in full, but just the little top of the O is chopped off.

Not debating it's not a thing, but what's the effect supposed to be?

Reaction Score
Bland like ND, Alabama and Piss St helmets?

Those school ALL have unique ID with bland. We have a looney tunes character now - hey - but it ain't bland.

The thing is, we started playing D1 football this century. Those other schools had a 100 year headstart and several national titles to make their bland branding recognizable.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
So a Block C gives us no identity but a cartoon Husky does ...

Lets agree to disagree - actually I take it back, we agree - its an identity - not a good one in my eyes but an identity.

100 years from now Alabamas helmet will still be the same and UConn with have a new Wiley Coyote type character as a unique identifier and wondering when P5 offer is coming...

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Lets agree to disagree - actually I take it back, we agree - its an identity - not a good one in my eyes but an identity.

100 years from now Alabamas helmet will still be the same and UConn with have a new Wiley Coyote type character as a unique identifier and wondering when P5 offer is coming...

You know Alabamas logo is a cartoon elephant right?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

The decal on our helmet has nothing to do with our P5 status.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For the helmets was actually in favor of a paw print more like Clemson, but canine of course. Maybe just on one side, with a number on the other. But winning is what matters. The Patriots just won another Superbowl with the awful Flying Elvis.
Like the new logo better than the old in all respects however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom