Congrats to Courtney Ekmark | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Courtney Ekmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's not their fault they are in this conference but to me a lot of these stats really don't mean anything. It really is hard for me to watch these games. Yes it's great the subs get game time experience and they will playing in this conference but with that said I would rather see Geno put them in with 4 starters early in a game to see how some of them react. It's one thing to play when you have a 40 point lead but it's a lot different when it's a 10 point lead. I just think it would serve them better down the road to get quality minutes. Lets face the fact here that no matter who he puts in with some of the starters they will still win by 40 every game in this conference so if they get some quality minutes then stats may mean something.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Kiah, Saniya, and Gabby were all in before the 12:00 mark and played extensively in the first half after. You do realize that the first unit does need time to gel together early in the game because they aren't going to see a lot of action in the second half. Stewie, KML, and MoJeff played less than 20 minutes, Morgan got 23 which is needed in part to make up for last year, and Kia always plays a lot with the reserves as a fellow freshman. But if Geno did not put the starters out there for 7 or 8 minutes to start the game, he may as well bag the schedule and the prep work for the Tournament.

As the starters say, there are still things to improve on, and they are not going to do it if they're watching the last 35 minutes of the game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Ok, but none of that has anything to do with deciding at this point in her career, "she can't play at this level".
I hope you're not implying that I said that, because I didn't, and I agree with you. But, UConn currently starts virtually five All American players, and that's an incredibly high level of play.

Not any of our concern because 1) we have no idea if she will be playing in meaningful minutes or big games or not and 2) whether she is happy with whatever role she takes on is up to her and has nothing to do with us.

By your standards, we really don't need to concern ourselves with anything related to this team. :rolleyes:

Soooo, are you prepared for the snow coming this weekend?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Can you get any more American than Bronko Nagurski from Rainy River Ontario?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Can you get any more American than Bronko Nagurski from Rainy River Ontario?
Yes, James Francis "Jim" Thorpe, of the Sac and Fox Nation in Oklahoma.

From Wiki:

Thorpe grew up in the Sac and Fox Nation in Oklahoma. He played as part of several all American Indian teams throughout his career, and "barnstormed" as a professional basketball player with a team composed entirely of American Indians.

From 1920 to 1921, Thorpe was nominally the first president of the American Professional Football Association (APFA), which would become the National Football League (NFL) in 1922.

I don't think you can get any more "American" than Jim.

Reaction Score
Yes, but as has been pointed out, next year we gain four players while only losing two. so, by sheer numbers, playing time will be harder to come by next year. Will she be happy playing in these "meaningless" games, while watching the "big" games from the bench?

I guess I have a different definition of "meaningless" for bench players. You obviously mean that the game has no meaning since UCONN has such a huge lead and anything these bench players do has no meaning to the outcome of the game.

I see it as time spent on the court developing skills with teammates, coming up to the speed of a college game versus a high school game, working on Geno's plays under fire and working with the starters to learn their tendencies they might not see during practice. They get to view film to learn from their mistakes and reinforce their accomplishments. I don't find any of this "meaningless."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hope you're not implying that I said that, because I didn't, and I agree with you. But, UConn currently starts virtually five All American players, and that's an incredibly high level of play.
Not you specifically, but you were seeming to support some of those who did say that in this thread. True, but that's starters. We also have reserves and Div 1. Deciding Ekmark can't play at "this level" (whatever level that is), already in her career is premature.

By your standards, we really don't need to concern ourselves with anything related to this team. :rolleyes:
Well, really now that you mention it, we don't. It's not like we, as fans can do anything about it.
Soooo, are you prepared for the snow coming this weekend?
It's gonna miss us/me. Stay east (and south) along the coast.

I hope. :(

Reaction Score
I try never to say anything harsh about other posters. But the post that "she can't play at this level" defies common-sense. What is your background that allows you to say this? Have you been a D1 coach for thirty years? Apparently, Geno thinks she can play at this level because he is playing her. At worst, the jury is still out because of all the time Courtney has missed. Lighten up and give her the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
I try never to say anything harsh about other posters. But the post that "she can't play at this level" defies common-sense. What is your background that allows you to say this? Have you been a D1 coach for thirty years? Apparently, Geno thinks she can play at this level because he is playing her. At worst, the jury is still out because of all the time Courtney has missed. Lighten up and give her the benefit of the doubt.
Ultimately, giving Courtney the benefit of the doubt is probably less important than a poster's awareness that s/he may not have the expertise to draw certain conclusions.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Which begs the question, can a Canadian become an All American? just wonderin'

Uh, Canadians either get a kick out of, or get POed over, US citizens arrogating the term Americans unto themselves alone. Just saying.

T

TroyHouse66

New
Aluminny69 said:
<<Which begs the question, can a Canadian become an All American? just wonderin'>>
StewieFan:
<<Yes as long as she spends her money here.>>

After checking with the Economics Dept...
She couldn't become an All-American, but would be considered a 97%-American... depending on the current exchange rate.
(She should, also, be listed as 5'-10 9/10" on the programs.)

Reaction Score
She is probably a nice kid, BUT she can't play at this level.

What makes you such an expert? You need to give this young lady a chance to show what she brings to the table. Courtney just got clearance to play so it is understandable that she is a little rusty.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Geno said essentially this on the Geno show last night, which was of course shot before, and probably well before last night. He also reiterated that the #1 rated stars who come into their freashman year on the team are invariably clueless, so in fairness and trusting in Geno early assesments are too early period. In that Geno show he also liked Eck to a grape, not yet ripened let alone bottled! Stewie, she's in the bottle, but it remains to be see if it will be a vintage bottle; Stewie's self graded B+ for this year is too generous per Geno. So, Geno is very tough, but he's not about to make a final judgment about one of his freshman. Neither should we. That is not blind fandom; that's common sense.

Reaction Score
Uh, Canadians either get a kick out of, or get POed over, US citizens arrogating the term Americans unto themselves alone. Just saying.
This reminds of the time in the 60s when our college team was travelling to British Columbia for a game. The Canadian border guy enters the bus..looks around..then asks "Are you all americans?"..after a brief silence, one of our reserves stands up and says "No, but our (point guard) was all conference":)

Reaction Score
UOTE="meyers7, post: 1201627, member: 343"]Why?[/QUOTE]
Because they are not competitive. I would much rather see them playing against teams that they get a little competition from than 50 point blowouts all of the time. I fine myself rooting for the other team to score every once in a while. I wonder if sooner or later when they play against a team that's giving them a tighter game if it's not going to come back to bite them. I guess I really shouldn't be worried about that though because from what I've seen from other teams play I don't think anyone in the country right now can beat them.

T

TroyHouse66

StewieFan:
<<..from what I've seen from other teams play I don't think anyone in the country right now can beat them.>>

Conceivably, this might include the 2015 NY Knicks.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

That opinion is based on what?
Comparing her play to that of the starters?
Watching a few combined minutes of game play after the kid had no team ball last year and a stress injury this year.
You really think they would offer her a scholarship if she couldn't play at this level?
Her work ethic is great by all reports. That's why should took last year off to work on conditioning and basketball drills.
Let's re-visit this topic next season and see if you think she 'belongs". My money is on a huge improvement.

JS

Reaction Score
Your problem here, manfredonia, is that you've made a hit-and-run post.

We encourage a balanced set of opinions on this board, and a current point of emphasis is that those expressing negative opinions are not to be subjected to squelching attempts through various forms of personal attack.

But if you state a conclusory opinion passing judgment on a player's entire career, with no substantive elaboration or explanation, you shouldn't be surprised if you reap a lot of disapproving responses.

Those in this thread are relatively civil, I'm glad to say, and their overall point is well taken.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there were people who thought Maria Conlon couldn't play at this level. And she's got three national championships.

Two of them as a starter.

What "this level" is is itself a matter of speculation. I recall Ketia saying something to the effect, "I didn't even start at UConn And I've played five years in the WNBA."

Speaking of "All-Americans", wasn't Svetlana Abrosimova?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Two of them as a starter.

What "this level" is is itself a matter of speculation. I recall Ketia saying something to the effect, "I didn't even start at UConn And I've played five years in the WNBA."

Speaking of "All-Americans", wasn't Svetlana Abrosimova?

Definitely All-Russian, but that's alllllllllll right.
v76ewd151beKT35i.jpg

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'm sure there were people who thought Maria Conlon couldn't play at this level. And she's got three national championships.
Just curious. Do you think Maria Conlon could start, or even play significant minutes on this current year's or next year's UConn team?

P.S. Personally, I don't see Conlon getting three NCs without DT, but hey, that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom