Congrats to Courtney Ekmark | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Courtney Ekmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Conlon could handle the ball. Ekmark can't wait to get rid of it.
Lately she's been wanting to get rid of it inside the basket, which is a very nice sign. Of course Maria also sometimes would bomb'em in after a few of those dribbles when they left her alone to give all their attention to DT.

If you think Ekmark is going to be a ball hog when she is inserted into the lineup now, you are indeed clueless. She does have to get better at figuring out when a teammate is actually open for the pass and not telegraphing things her intentions too much. But the nice thing is she is looking for the return pass and is eager to show her stuff, which most prominently means shooting the ball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I have a different definition of "meaningless" for bench players. You obviously mean that the game has no meaning since UCONN has such a huge lead and anything these bench players do has no meaning to the outcome of the game.

I see it as time spent on the court developing skills with teammates, coming up to the speed of a college game versus a high school game, working on Geno's plays under fire and working with the starters to learn their tendencies they might not see during practice. They get to view film to learn from their mistakes and reinforce their accomplishments. I don't find any of this "meaningless."

Well said. Here is how Geno said it:
“The challenge for us is to stay in that mode where we’re trying to execute some things we want to do,” the coach continued. “Once the first half ended tonight, things changed in how we wanted to play. We weren’t going to score 60 points in the second half. That’s not how we play. But at the same time, we’re not really worried what the score is. I just want to make sure that they don’t develop bad habits, that they don’t get sloppy with the way we want to execute and want to play.
“The hard part is trying to figure out how to get our starters enough minutes. K played 12 minutes in the first half. If you don’t play her in the second half, it’s not really a game. It’s not really a practice. It’s nothing. So the hard part is figuring out how long do we leave in and how much time do we need them to get.”

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/sports/Huskies-Looking-to-Stay-Sharp-in-Blowouts-289428861.html

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Are you predicting that Courtney will be a starter her Junior and Senior years?

BTW, Nicole Wolff was initially slated to be the Starter, but suffered injuries. Nothing against Maria Conlon, I thought she was a terrific role player, and an integral part of two NC teams.
Unlike many on the BY, I avoid predictions and prefer to just let the action play out without being too judgmental about a player's first year.

Did I think that Ashley Valley would start 25 games in her senior year when she came up? I don't know. Or that Willnett Crockett would start 17 games her senior year? Or that Kaili McLaren, Ketia Swanier, and Lorin Dixon would get double digit starts in a season? Really no expectations, but I knew the situation could happen because UConn teams tend to be pretty small and experienced veterans usually get preference over newbie freshmen, so they often do becomes starters even when their old freshman stats don't speak eventual starter numbers.

The difference now is that the UConn teams may be getting a little larger at around 13-14 players and the competition for starter spots would be tougher than on a 10-man team. But things happen, and without pointing too ominously to the dreaded bogeyman, the small-squad situation could happen in the future again with UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes, James Francis "Jim" Thorpe, of the Sac and Fox Nation in Oklahoma.

From Wiki:

Thorpe grew up in the Sac and Fox Nation in Oklahoma. He played as part of several all American Indian teams throughout his career, and "barnstormed" as a professional basketball player with a team composed entirely of American Indians.

From 1920 to 1921, Thorpe was nominally the first president of the American Professional Football Association (APFA), which would become the National Football League (NFL) in 1922.

I don't think you can get any more "American" than Jim.
"American Indian"...an oxymoron.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UOTE="meyers7, post: 1201627, member: 343"]Why?
Because they are not competitive. I would much rather see them playing against teams that they get a little competition from than 50 point blowouts all of the time. I fine myself rooting for the other team to score every once in a while. I wonder if sooner or later when they play against a team that's giving them a tighter game if it's not going to come back to bite them. I guess I really shouldn't be worried about that though because from what I've seen from other teams play I don't think anyone in the country right now can beat them.[/QUOTE]
Then I guess I would question your fandom. I have no problem watching the team play. Doesn't really matter who they play against. I hate it when we miss baskets and I hate it when the other team scores. I'd be ecstatic with a 200-0 game.

I don't understand how "fans" cannot like watching "their team" play really, really well. It just makes no sense. I want my team to win every time and win big every time. The bigger win, the better. That's the fun part. Watching a close game isn't "fun". Crushing your opponent and leaving them no hope, now that's fun.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Conlon could handle the ball. Ekmark can't wait to get rid of it.
Well that's just flat out wrong. (a lie?) There were a few times in the UCF game where Ekmark wouldn't give up the ball even to the "PG" on the floor at the time. I think she motioned off Chong and Nurse at different times. She was pretty intent on having the ball and running the offense.

Reaction Score
She is probably a nice kid, BUT she can't play at this level.
She is playing at "this" level.

Be glad that UCONN is even in a position to let the bench get minutes.

I went to the Delaware game last night. They were coming off a close loss but finally had a blow out win so the bench players got a chance to get in the game. A couple of them even made a basket. First time this year I got to see them play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She is playing at "this" level.

Be glad that UCONN is even in a position to let the bench get minutes.

I went to the Delaware game last night. They were coming off a close loss but finally had a blow out win so the bench players got a chance to get in the game. A couple of them even made a basket. First time this year I got to see them play.

Manfredonia made an absurd statement of opinion and we have been arguing with it for 2 days! On the Geno show post the UFC game he said not one of the Husky greats hanging on the walls at Gampel came in as a freshman able to play at UConn. "What would it say about our program if high school kids could come in here and play with us." They, per Geno, are all "clueless" and then they develop. I think Courtney is doing just fine for the problems that have attended her arrival. Geno said in his players/wine evaluation that she is not yet in the bottle, but a grape not yet ripe.

Reaction Score
Because they are not competitive. I would much rather see them playing against teams that they get a little competition from than 50 point blowouts all of the time. I fine myself rooting for the other team to score every once in a while. I wonder if sooner or later when they play against a team that's giving them a tighter game if it's not going to come back to bite them. I guess I really shouldn't be worried about that though because from what I've seen from other teams play I don't think anyone in the country right now can beat them.
How would you propose we go about setting up a competitive schedule? As the team has been performing in recent years, how might we avoid playing 10X (where X=2, 3, 4, 5...) blowouts virtually every game?

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Interesting that over the years various assorted posters who shall remain nameless have chosen a number of UCONN WCBB players to insult, tear down, and in general wage propaganda campaigns against - I remember some of the targets - Maria Conlon, Heather Buck, Kelly Faris, Rita Williams, T. Abrilic (sp ?) .

No player is perfect, some are more accomplished than others, but all are worthy of respect for making the effort to go out and compete at WCBB's highest level.

Reaction Score
I thought virtually every had heard it but perhaps not.

Job opening: Accountant.
Interview Question: How much is two and two?
Candidate #1: Answer/Four; Interview result/Rejected.
Candidate #2: Answer/Four; Interview result/Rejected.
Candidate #3: Answer/How much would you like it to be?; Interview result/Hired.
I didn't know this. I thought you meant I should work for the Congressional Budget Office. Perhaps the above interview took place at the CBO.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I don't get all the crap this girl gets. Almost no one said any of this stuff about Sadie even when she left. Ekmark has missed a lot of time. To write her off at this point is insane. Has she done some bone head plays? yah. is she a freshmen playing her first few games after being out almost half the season? yes. give her a year and reevaluate. I cant believe people are saying she can not play at this level after a handful of games!
AeffingMEN!!!

Reaction Score
Why?
Because they are not competitive. I would much rather see them playing against teams that they get a little competition from than 50 point blowouts all of the time. I fine myself rooting for the other team to score every once in a while. I wonder if sooner or later when they play against a team that's giving them a tighter game if it's not going to come back to bite them. I guess I really shouldn't be worried about that though because from what I've seen from other teams play I don't think anyone in the country right now can beat them.
Your remarks are similar to remarks that have been made many, many times over the course of years, here and elsewhere. I think most of the girls, if not all, would like better competition, as would Geno and his staff but when you're as good as this team is, with this type of coaching staff, there just isn't too many teams that can do that. A lot of schools tend to refuse to play the Huskies because they might end up getting beaten badly and they are worried about the image of their team or maybe hurting their team's psyche. Others play in a large conference and they are mandated to play an appreciable amount of their games against them, leaving very few games to schedule a lot of OOC opponents. The Huskies are good enough to annihilate a good amount of the top 25 teams, while soundly beating the cream of the crop. There's talk on this site by a few who feel that even the top ranked South Carolina team will be beaten badly by the Huskies next month. If that's true, then who is there left to challenge them to the type of game that you would be interested in watching?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Nah, you're perfect for the BY, and you may have already earned your math Ph.D. I've seen posters here take huge UConn statistical advantages and "prove" that the opponent was doing better. I guess it's all in the way you look at the numbers.
You are so right. What makes me crazy is that if an opponent hits a shot and UConn doesn't come down and score and they next come down and hit a 3 point shot, some announcers talk about that team as being on a 5-0 RUN, as if they are kicking the Huskies around when they haven't really done much of anything. A RUN needs to be something appreciably more than two baskets put together without their opponent answering. That's certainly a pet peeve of mine.

Reaction Score
:confused: - Where's my "dislike" button?!!!

depositphotos_28247659-dislike-icon.JPG

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Truth to tell, though, this current crop of naysayers is VERY small taters to some of the greats of the past. Different old-timers will have different choices as to whom they consider the champ of all time; me, I am not sure. One nominee would certainly be BBall***** (numbers forgotten) who spared no pain to his fingers in trying to share with the rest of us his absolute conviction that Maria was a hopeless case and would never see a minute of significant playing time. He was absolutely evangelical about it. Then there was (as I recall; correct me if I am wrong here) Stop-n-Pop (he had a previous handle, too. This was back in the days when a poster could have as many different handles as he chose). I can't seem to recall whom his particular bete noir was, but he was persistent, beligerent and verbose. (And, of course, wrong.) Then many would favor the candidacy of OOVY, akd SonofOOVY, who was sufficiently obnoxious for the most refined taste and Newby1, who turned out to be the step-father of Brittany Hunter, (now former step-father) who had wanted to come to UConn but whom he had browbeaten into going to Duke instead, and he kept up a steady drumbeat about what a schmuck Geno was for many, many months. (I forget exactly how Geno had offended him, but seem to recall that it had something to do with Koolaid. Real Koolaid.) He kept it up just about up to the time when Brittany transferered to UConn.) There are probably other nabobs whom I have forgotten. Nominations are in order.

Anyway, aggravating as I (and apparently I am not alone) find the current crop of nns, they are as nothng compared to the above-mentioned giants of the ganre, and are, indeed, so few and so mild that they may well be considered an endangered species. (This may be because there is just so very little to bitch about recently; dunno.) I put about four of them on ignore (a marvelous invention) not so much because they were irritating as because they were just so predictably boring. I find the board much more interesting without them.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Truth to tell, though, this current crop of naysayers is VERY small taters to some of the greats of the past. Different old-timers will have different choices as to whom they consider the champ of all time; me, I am not sure. One nominee would certainly be BBall***** (numbers forgotten) who spared no pain to his fingers in trying to share with the rest of us his absolute conviction that Maria was a hopeless case and would never see a minute of significant playing time. He was absolutely evangelical about it. Then there was (as I recall; correct me if I am wrong here) Stop-n-Pop (he had a previous handle, too. This was back in the days when a poster could have as many different handles as he chose). I can't seem to recall whom his particular bete noir was, but he was persistent, beligerent and verbose. (And, of course, wrong.) Then many would favor the candidacy of OOVY, akd SonofOOVY, who was sufficiently obnoxious for the most refined taste and Newby1, who turned out to be the step-father of Brittany Hunter, who had wanted to come to UConn but whom he had browbeaten into going to Duke instead, and he kept up a steady drumbeat about what a schmuck Geno was for many, many months. (I forget exactly how Geno had offended him, but seem to recall that it had something to do with Koolaid. Real Koolaid.) There are probably other nabobs whom I have forgotten. Nominations are in order.

Anyway, aggravating as I (and apparently I am not alone) find the current crop of nns, they are as nothng compared to the above-mentioned giants of the ganre, and are, indeed, so few and so mild that they may well be considered an endangered species. (This may be because there is just so very little to bitch about recently; dunno.) I put about four of them on ignore (a marvelous invention) not so much because they were irritating as because they were just so predictably boring. I find the board much more interesting without them.
Yes, BballXXXXX has earned a place in Boneyard lore as the most negativo negatoid ever to post on the 'yard. My favorite bon mot? The ol' classic - "I'm sure Maria Conlon is a lovely young lady but she'll never see a minute of time on the floor of an important game". Except, of course, all those Final Fours including her senior year where she had 9 assists to 0 turnovers in 2 big games. But Bball wasn't happy saying it once, oh no, s/he had to say it every day for about 2 years. It was so bad that Tim Conlon, Maria's dad, asked me to ban him so he wouldn't be tempted to respond. THAT's bad.

So folks, think before you hit the Post button. Do you really need to say the same thing for the billionth time? Even drops of water will wear through granite if the drip is steady enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom