Congrats to Courtney Ekmark | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Congrats to Courtney Ekmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From about the 15:00 mark in the 2nd half, when the score was 74-27, to the end of the game, UConn out scored UCF 36 - 18 without ever having more than one starter on the floor. Wow! Is the rest of wcbb trembling?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Just curious. Do you think Maria Conlon could start, or even play significant minutes on this current year's or next year's UConn team?

P.S. Personally, I don't see Conlon getting three NCs without DT, but hey, that's just me.
Nope, her eligibility ran out in 2004.

Maria could hit a three once in a while, especially when UTenn left her open, but she shot them at 37% which would be a little under this year's exceptional group that has KML, MoJeff, and Kia blistering the nets but which would have fit in well last year. Maria's focus was being the co-PG to DT and she complemented her beautifully, with an assist per game rate in the last two years that would put her 2nd on this year's team. Who knows how many NCs DT wins without Maria, but maybe that's just me.

Different times, different circumstances. Kara Wolters says she wouldn't start and might not even make this year's team, and she's a former NPOY. Maria like Courtney would have her place on this year's team if nothing else because of her work ethic. Might not ever get to be a starter, but when you have one of the most dominant team-wrecking players in Kiah Stokes on the bench for the Huskies, that's not a bad place to say you warmed your buns.

Reaction Score
I don't get all the crap this girl gets. Almost no one said any of this stuff about Sadie even when she left. Ekmark has missed a lot of time. To write her off at this point is insane. Has she done some bone head plays? yah. is she a freshmen playing her first few games after being out almost half the season? yes. give her a year and reevaluate. I cant believe people are saying she can not play at this level after a handful of games!

Reaction Score
Which begs the question, can a Canadian become an All American? just wonderin'
Yes. Svet was and she is a RUSSIAN!!!! * I am of Russian decent so I love to joke about that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just curious. Do you think Maria Conlon could start, or even play significant minutes on this current year's or next year's UConn team?

P.S. Personally, I don't see Conlon getting three NCs without DT, but hey, that's just me.
Honestly, I DO see Conlon getting substantial minutes on this team. Chong is still young and learning, and I'd take Conlon off the bench instead of Chong. Maria was incredibly steady, very solid with the ball, a good passer, and a very decent spot up 3 point shooter. Defensively she moved "well" for her physical stature. She was just a steady and consistent hand at running the team...

As for the 2nd part of your post, DUH! :p no one on that teams gets 3 NC's without Dee! She was amazing!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maria was slow and short but she was a decent shooter, totally unflappable and the helluva passer.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Of course not Vin and I don't think that's what TOP was saying. But she sure was a BIG integral part of those teams.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

P.S. I don't see DT getting 3 NC's without Maria Conlon or ......................... or .....................

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Of course not Vin and I don't think that's what TOP was saying. But she sure was a BIG integral part of those teams.

Diana was masterful at making her teammates better. That said, I'm not sure she gets three national championships without role players like Maria Conlon, one of those players who understood what her strengths and weaknesses were and how to employ them to best advantage for her team. Hooray for those such as her in UConn's history.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
To New Corn good point but actually UConn outscored UCF 26-18.
Nah, you're perfect for the BY, and you may have already earned your math Ph.D. I've seen posters here take huge UConn statistical advantages and "prove" that the opponent was doing better. I guess it's all in the way you look at the numbers.

Reaction Score
I cant see any player winning championships without 4 other players on the court. MC was a big factor who hit some big 3s and played pretty soild D

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stacy Marron has 3 NCs also....
But Stacey was not a starter for two years like Maria. She is however the answer to a wonderful UConn trivia question. "Who had the best 3-pt FG% for the Huskies during her first two years at UConn with a 57.1% average."

Indeed, La Marron. 20 of 35.

Reaction Score
Definitely All-Russian, but that's alllllllllll right.

v76ewd151beKT35i.jpg

Great "After" picture. Check out my avatar for the "Before"

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
But Stacey was not a starter for two years like Maria. She is however the answer to a wonderful UConn trivia question. "Who had the best 3-pt FG% for the Huskies during her first two years at UConn with a 57.1% average."

Indeed, La Marron. 20 of 35.
Are you predicting that Courtney will be a starter her Junior and Senior years?

BTW, Nicole Wolff was initially slated to be the Starter, but suffered injuries. Nothing against Maria Conlon, I thought she was a terrific role player, and an integral part of two NC teams.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Conlon could handle the ball. Ekmark can't wait to get rid of it.
Just for clarification: clearly, Ekmark is a freshman, roughly 8 games into her career. At what point in Conlon's career are you basing your statement on - her starting as a junior and senior, or, eight games into Maria's freshman season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom