Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
UConn will have a good team no matter what happens with Boat and Daniels. Next man up.
I would love to see DD fill in the holes in his game, gain consistency and then learn to dominate next year...but his stock is high right now and the bottom of the first round is possible, albeit not guaranteed.
But you are correct, I think Kentan Facey is ready to step up to the plate and we could see Phil and AB on the court some together next year as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know that Daniels significantly improves his NBA stock with another season at UConn. He is a quick, athletic 6'8 wing that can shoot. He needs to get stronger, but he can do that in the NBA.

I don't see how Boat is a first round pick right now as a 6'1 combo guard when most scouts think that Napier carried this team. Boat needs to be Napier next year, and he could be a 15-25 pick.

I think the Harrisons are coming back for Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I think their stock will probably never be higher…

I hope I'm wrong & they both come back next year, have great years, get drafted & have long careers...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I estimate that Napier made himself about $6 million, guaranteed, by his play these last 3 weeks.

pj

Reaction Score
Boat 99.9% back - it's his turn to run a team - as Ollie showed, a great point guard/leader, even if undertalented, can have a long run in the league, but you need all four years in college to develop those leadership and team management skills. I'm sure honest NBA scouts will tell him that too, 5'10" guys make the NBA once every four years, it's a rarity, he shouldn't miss out on the chance to learn from Ollie and the other UConn coaches for another year, that's a golden opportunity.

Daniels 98% NBA - really, he's a lock for the first round and guaranteed money, he has a championship, nothing to prove in college, he can develop as much in the pros as in college. Maybe he enjoys college and is willing to wait a year. But, didn't he do a postgrad prep year? He turns 22 next week, and is the typical age of a college grad. I would be really surprised if he comes back. UConn is in good hands regardless.

Reaction Score
I estimate that Napier made himself about $6 million, guaranteed, by his play these last 3 weeks.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft after this run.

Reaction Score
I could see DD go mid to late first round based on potential, overall ability, and versatility. He will however, likely spend his first pro year mostly in NBDL like JLamb. He needs to get stronger, but given a chance to cash in millions, let him go get paid. We then start developing the next wave of kids, Facey, Lubin etc.

Reaction Score
Boat right now is somewhat hidden in Bazz's shadow. He hasn't proved he can step out on his own.

Daniels needs to become the Man. He did help himself this Tourney, but last night in the biggest game he was marginal.

Logically I say no, but I think for DD especially he's a wanted commodity who could excel in the NBA. We'll see.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I could see DD go mid to late first round based on potential, overall ability, and versatility. He will however, likely spend his first pro year mostly in NBDL like JLamb. He needs to get stronger, but given a chance to cash in millions, let him go get paid. We then start developing the next wave of kids, Facey, Lubin etc.

Until this run he had been underwhelming all year. We saw these same flashes last year, but DD has not put together a season where he was the lead option on his own team. I think Ollie has plenty of connections and can probably tell DD where he would go. If it is 2nd round, he'll be back. Late first, I think he still comes back. I think he can get up to the middle of the first round, late lottery by returning.

I think Boat is a 2nd rounder unless he has a monster year. He does have more athleticism than Napier, faster, better hops. But his shot isn't as good and he hasn't run a team. Needs to be stronger too.

Reaction Score
I am sure both will get the best advice possible before making a decision. I think Daniels is ready to go and Boat would help himself a lot by coming back, but we will see. Either way I wish them both the best.

I never want to see UConn become one of those douchey programs like Duke where the Coach gives his players terrible and selfish advice that is not in the players' best interests.

Both can still help their draft position by coming back. Dre has proven that, when he's playing hard, he is an NBA player. But he needs to show he can play that way for a full season, and not just a month (because that has been each of the last two years). Boat, at his size, is going to have problems having an NBA career, but to get there he has to show that he can be smart as a 1 all the time. Again, he showed that in the tourney, but he can help himself by doing it for a full season.

That having been said, I wish each of the young men nothing more than making the right decision for them and their futures.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think Daniels works his way into a top 5 pick after next year. Though he got injured at the beginning of his break out party during the year, Daniels' inconsistency throughout the year pushes him into the second round and his tournament play pulls him back into the late first round. I have no problem with Daniels jumping, He will get a guaranteed contract, but I think his stock rises if he carries UConn next year a la Kevin Durant at Texas and that contract becomes worth a -ton more.

Reaction Score
If it was a weak draft DD should go but I see 2nd round for him this year. He should stay and get a more consistent game and do it all year not just at the end.
Boat has to stay and take the reins as PG for next year. In the end he is really 5'9" or 5'10" and not 6'1 which makes it tough for the NBA

If all the players leave who are supposed to leave early, than very little chance DD projects as a first round pick. However, if he leaves because he thinks he's ready, than that's fine.

Reaction Score
If they are first round picks you go without giving it a thought. I have no idea where they are on draft boards but if I'm a betting man Boat returns and DD will go.

Reaction Score
I want both these guys to have the best opportunity to carve out a career in the next level. Whether that means stay or go I don't know. Either way I will be rooting for them.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I want both these guys to have the best opportunity to carve out a career in the next level. Whether that means stay or go I don't know. Either way I will be rooting for them.

I am sure whatever Ollie advises these young men to do, it will be in their own best interest, and that's amazing either way.

I hate the high road in these discussions.

Unless the Celtics are good (And with all those draft picks, they will be again...and soon), I watch a lot more college basketball. It's just a more entertaining all-around brand of basketball in my opinion (though Brad Stevens coaches the Celts). I prefer to maintain my own entertainment value and the quality of the college game. If that makes me selfish, so be it. These kids shouldn't be listening to my opinion anyway. I have zero connections in the NBA.

That said, I reiterate: I think Daniels is a top 5 draft pick after next year. I do not begrudge any player from seeking a living when they are able. After all, a bird in the hand...but if they can improve their stock exponentially, I think the prudent move is to stay...and entertain me in the process ;).

Reaction Score
Folks, couldn't we take just one day of celebration before beginning this stuff? Shame on the OP.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Until this run he had been underwhelming all year. We saw these same flashes last year, but DD has not put together a season where he was the lead option on his own team. I think Ollie has plenty of connections and can probably tell DD where he would go. If it is 2nd round, he'll be back. Late first, I think he still comes back. I think he can get up to the middle of the first round, late lottery by returning.

I think Boat is a 2nd rounder unless he has a monster year. He does have more athleticism than Napier, faster, better hops. But his shot isn't as good and he hasn't run a team. Needs to be stronger too.

No way Daniels doesn't go in the first round of the NBA. If you are sitting at #20, and DD, a 6'8" wing who can shoot and defend, is sitting on the board, you absolutely take him. Too much potential. Even if you think it's a flyer; People take flyers in the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom