CBSSPORTS Renewal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

CBSSPORTS Renewal

Reaction Score
Instead of attacking every poster, maybe some actual research would help you out?

From https://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm (a great source)

P5 games on streaming W1:
East Carolina at Michigan11:00 amPeacock
Mercer at Ole Miss1:00 pmSECN+ Video / $espn+ Video
Colgate at Syracuse2:30 pmVideo: ACCNX / $espn+
Northern Iowa at Iowa State1:00 pm$espn+ Video
Western Carolina at Arkansas3:00 pmVideo: SECN+ Video / $espn+
UT Martin at Georgia5:00 pmVideo: SECN+ Video / $espn+
Alabama A&M at Vanderbilt6:00 pmVideo: SECN+ Video / $espn+

Yeah those are some pretty huge matchups.

Reaction Score
Nothing as huge as your dodging this one, internet big man...

Yeah those matchups with West Carolina Tech will be having everyone signing up. We might run out of bandwidth.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yeah those matchups with West Carolina Tech will be having everyone signing up. We might run out of bandwidth.

Still dodging the fact you're wrong (again) and won't man up to put it on the line. Sad.

Reaction Score
Peacock has 10 college football exclusive games this year. Four have been announced:

ECU @ Michigan
Delaware @ Penn State
Central Michigan @ Notre Dame
Washington @ Michigan State.

Also, there will be 6 other Big 10 games that will be Peacock exclusive including games with Ohio St., Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Peacock has only ~30 million users.

Reaction Score
Peacock has 10 college football exclusive games this year. Four have been announced:

ECU @ Michigan
Delaware @ Penn State
Central Michigan @ Notre Dame
Washington @ Michigan State.

Also, there will be 6 other Big 10 games that will be Peacock exclusive including games with Ohio St., Iowa, and Wisconsin.

Peacock has only ~30 million users.

Oh man. Better not cancel my Peacock sub. Don’t want to miss that Delaware game.

Reaction Score
Ok internet tough guy. Was going to offer you a beer at a tailgate to settle, but you're clearly "special."

Go ahead and take your place next to Chief in the pantheon of bad doubled-down takes, probably at 11:11AM.

Oh that hits hard.

Maybe we can put UConn on Freevee and that will put us over the top.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Please enlighten me on finding the UConn game on Paramount Plus. Keep in mind that I do not have a live TV subscription or any cable services, but I do have Paramount Plus. I will not be able to attend any games this year, and if I can get the game that way, it would certainly make my day.

You'll be waiting a while...

Reaction Score
Please enlighten me on finding the UConn game on Paramount Plus. Keep in mind that I do not have a live TV subscription or any cable services, but I do have Paramount Plus. I will not be able to attend any games this year, and if I can get the game that way, it would certainly make my day.

My advice is to not waste your money on Paramount and get YouTube Tv instead.

Reaction Score
The production on CBSSN was light years better than the crap on ESPN+ or even ESPNU.
CBSSN games are produced by CBS employees. ESPN+ games are produced by the school. Yes, their productions won’t be as good, but how not as good they are depend entirely on the money the school wants to put into it.

McPeak was just a mistake. Presumably it will be rectified by someone in Black Rock, as that wasn’t a UConn hire — it was a CBS hire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Idiots. They don’t know that linear television is already dead. All they have to do is read The Boneyard and know which posters to listen to

Interesting. The coaches wanted the exposure that linear gives you. Makes sense to me.

I have never heard of Midco. Sounds like they have a solid niche though. Those Dakota schools have devoted fanbases.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Idiots. They don’t know that linear television is already dead. All they have to do is read The Boneyard and know which posters to listen to

You are really losing your fastball. It is worth its own thread, but your recent efforts are a shadow of your former posting.

Did you even read the link? If all you really got out of that article was "Linear is the best", then you completely missed the point. Quotes from the Summit League Commissioner:

“The number one priority was expanded linear transmission. We believe that linear transmission still matters today. I’m not suggesting it’s going to matter the same way in five or ten years from now, but today, it does matter. We got a lot of feedback from our constituents, particularly our basketball coaches, in that regard.”

“Our second priority was revenue. For this particular deal, even beyond a rights fee, there are some opportunities to earn some revenue share, based on subscriber numbers.”

“Our third priority was building a brand and a better fan experience. In our previous deals, our digital component was pretty fragmented, and our linear distribution was limited.”

“And then lastly, was protecting local and regional relationships. We have several institutions that have existing local broadcast relationships that are financially important, or important from an exposure perspective.”

This is a roadmap for the Big East, hopefully with much bigger numbers.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You are really losing your fastball. It is worth its own thread, but your recent efforts are a shadow of your former posting.

Did you even read the link? If all you really got out of that article was "Linear is the best", then you completely missed the point. Quotes from the Summit League Commissioner:

This is a roadmap for the Big East, hopefully with much bigger numbers.

...maybe. Let's be clear - this is the summit league. They put revenue 2nd, because their revenue is likely to be next to nothing, in any case. If you're making nothing, it's better to make nothing on a linear network (see UConn Football, ironically)

I would think the BE would prioritize revenue first, but with a view as to how it impacts linear vs. streaming. It would take a moderately bigger number to make streaming only work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
...maybe. Let's be clear - this is the summit league. They put revenue 2nd, because their revenue is likely to be next to nothing, in any case. If you're making nothing, it's better to make nothing on a linear network (see UConn Football, ironically)

I would think the BE would prioritize revenue first, but with a view as to how it impacts linear vs. streaming. It would take a moderately bigger number to make streaming only work.

The Summit did a hybrid. Have cake and eat it too. What's not to like if the numbers are right?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Summit did a hybrid. Have cake and eat it too. What's not to like if the numbers are right?
Giving too much credit here.

They found an RSN willing to pay them more to keep the RSN more relevant, and a linear niche channel giving them more slots.

You would see torches and pitchforks here if we leaned into an RSN model these days.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Giving too much credit here.

They found an RSN willing to pay them more to keep the RSN more relevant, and a linear niche channel giving them more slots.

You would see torches and pitchforks here if we leaned into an RSN model these days.

You are way too deep into the weeds of this particular agreement. Obviously some things would be different for a nationally recognized league the Big East.

Fox for linear, but a DTC streaming solution together with a local network could build up a subscriber base over time. Fox needs the content, and their market reach is shrinking. Seems like a good situation for the Big East.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You are way too deep into the weeds of this particular agreement. Obviously some things would be different for a nationally recognized league the Big East.

Fox for linear, but a DTC streaming solution together with a local network could build up a subscriber base over time. Fox needs the content, and their market reach is shrinking. Seems like a good situation for the Big East.

I don't disagree, but what would the cut look like?

Right now, we have sliver of FOX, majority FS1, and a sprinkling of FS2. If FOX wanted to bolster their own streaming service, how much would we need to make games on that work? Assuming 100% of the FS2 (and CBSSN bought) games would move, how much of the FS1 ones would?

In theory, you could come up with a multiplier, and work it out that way. 1 FS2 game is probably worth 3 FS1 games, ratings-wise. FOX would be something like 15x. Total guesses here, but you could see how this would be thought out.

For a quaint comparison - here is some commentary from the original 2013 deal: The Big East's impressive new TV deal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom