CBSSPORTS Renewal | The Boneyard

CBSSPORTS Renewal

Reaction Score
It's been discussed here but I can't find it. With our CBSSPORTS contract up and us getting a full 1 million a year for them to show football any chance they drop us? Also, any chance FS1 picks up some football games or the contract for cheap to pair with BBall ... or do they likely only care about UConn under their ownership of BEAST? A lot was put into Big12 now curious to see how things get extended to keep the football program alive. Exposure goes a long way... going streaming would be a disaster for UConn's current state IMO.

Reaction Score
It's been discussed here but I can't find it. With our CBSSPORTS contract up and us getting a full 1 million a year for them to show football any chance they drop us? Also, any chance FS1 picks up some football games or the contract for cheap to pair with BBall ... or do they likely only care about UConn under their ownership of BEAST? A lot was put into Big12 now curious to see how things get extended to keep the football program alive. Exposure goes a long way... going streaming would be a disaster for UConn's current state IMO.
Streaming on Prime Video would be great for UConn football. Larger reach than CBSSN.

Reaction Score
Iirc they have a two year extension option, so we might not hit the market just yet.

Reaction Score
We definitely should try to work out a deal with Amazon Prime. Prime should give us more reach, and maybe some additional interactive in-game features not possible with linear TV.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We definitely should try to work out a deal with Amazon Prime. Prime should give us more reach, and maybe some additional interactive in-game features not possible with linear TV.
Personally, I am looking forward to the "third and long, fans make the play call" real time polling.

Reaction Score
Personally, I am looking forward to the "third and long, fans make the play call" real time polling.
Well there are lots of things like predicting what kind of play coach will call etc. Whoever gets it right get a point, etc. At end of the game, your total is compared to the rest of the country.

They can also show live player stats etc. There are many things Amazon and Apple can do to make games more enjoyable and interactive.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Iirc they have a two year extension option, so we might not hit the market just yet.
They have two two year extension options, through ‘26 and through ‘28

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well there are lots of things like predicting what kind of play coach will call etc. Whoever gets it right get a point, etc. At end of the game, your total is compared to the rest of the country.

They can also show live player stats etc. There are many things Amazon and Apple can do to make games more enjoyable and interactive.
No, I get it. That was just a snarky response by me. I do think in the immediate near term we need to be on a linear broadcast.

Reaction Score
Would that impact what they currently did with WFSB3?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
CBSSN also has a right of first refusal should they not extend the existing contract (I.e. if UConn agrees to terms with ESPN, they have to present the same terms to CBSSN first and if CBSSN passes then they can sign with ESPN)

Reaction Score
CBSSN also has a right of first refusal should they not extend the existing contract (I.e. if UConn agrees to terms with ESPN, they have to present the same terms to CBSSN first and if CBSSN passes then they can sign with ESPN)
Is there a bump in pay with the options?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes. It’s far more crappy. We would get less exposure.

CBS sports is streaming. You can watch the games on Paramount + and CBSSN is on YouTube and Hulu etc.

Did you fall out of the stupid tree and hit every branch?

If Paramount picks it up, then it won't be terrible.

You are already seeing that the streaming aggregators like YoutubeTV and Hulu Live are not keeping up with cord cutting. Those are just way stations to DTC. Even ESPN realizes that they have to be DTC, which is the equivalent of admitting that they have to set a nuclear bomb off inside their own business model.

Reaction Score
ESPN already has a streaming service. Not sure why they would need to set off a nuclear bomb when they're already doing the thing that everyone says is the future.

Reaction Score
If Paramount picks it up, then it won't be terrible.

You are already seeing that the streaming aggregators like YoutubeTV and Hulu Live are not keeping up with cord cutting. Those are just way stations to DTC. Even ESPN realizes that they have to be DTC, which is the equivalent of admitting that they have to set a nuclear bomb off inside their own business model.

They do pick it up. Although I’d rather just watch it on YouTube TV which is exactly like regular tv and is also streaming.

So they aren’t keeping up? You’re saying people would rather pay more for even less content?

I don’t believe it.

Reaction Score
Xfinity could've slowed the tide on cord-cutting had they been quicker to embrace the inclusion of the streaming apps on their set-top boxes. Once they got people comfortable leaving their "ecosystem" they lost. I'm on my Roku or Firestick and I can get everything EXCEPT cable... meh I don't want to switch inputs to that. Had they gotten people used to browsing not just for the linear channels, but their streaming on-demand content from the jump, there still would've been a decline, but likely much more gradual.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom