CBSSPORTS Renewal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CBSSPORTS Renewal

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
What are you talking about Willis?
I can show you 10 google results that say the opposite, as well as the description from the actual app, where CBSSN is missing

Reaction Score
I've seen estimates that CBS Sports Network has around 50 million subscribers (ESPN has ~74 million) which is in line with the ACCN and SECN. Similar to ESPN, CBS Sports Network subscribers have been in a decline due to cord cutting. ESPN lost ~1.2% of the subscribers in Q1 2023 (~5% per year), so I would estimate CBSSN is on the same decline curve.

Do you consider subscribing to YouTube TV or Fubo to be cord cutting?

Reaction Score
I know other Yarders that take rando web searches as gospel over eyewitness testimony.

Just because it’s not packaged as CBSSN doesn’t mean the content isn’t there.

I can show you 10 google results that say the opposite, as well as the description from the actual app, where CBSSN is missing

Wrong.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand your point on Prime Video as I've been watching Prime Video since 2015. Estimates are that Netflix has 8% of all US TV viewing, Prime Video has 3%, and Disney+ has 1.8%. That would mean the average US TV viewer would watch about 40 to 50 hours of Prime Video per year (and growing). Last year, PV spent $16.6 billion on content so somebody must be watching PV.

People go there to watch shows or movies. You don’t surf while you watch the Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time or the Vanilla Jack Ryan show.

People watch sports on platforms that enable surfing.

Not only that but with betting being more and more popular the ability flip around is even more critical.

I can’t even express how stupid you people sound when you argue for hiding the program on a platform that people don’t use for sports.

We’re so much better off hedging but making a deal with a linear outlet that also has a stake in streaming.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Wrong.

Awfully sure of yourself for someone who pasted a rando soccer website, and the same page twice, which doesn’t prove anything.

I would paste the screenshot, but they list the networks. Guess which one isn’t there?

LIVE SPORTS​

Stream the NFL on CBS, UEFA Champions League, CBS Sports Golazo Network and more! Miss the game? No sweat. CBS Sports HQ is on 24/7, covering all the highlights.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Do you consider subscribing to YouTube TV or Fubo to be cord cutting?
Every “linear” streaming provider is losing subscribers, except YouTube tv.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Every “linear” streaming provider is losing subscribers, except YouTube tv.
You'd think if they're all losing subscribers, one of them might try something new to attract people. It'd be great if you could just get certain bundles of channels: the sports channels, the news channels, the kids channels, the nature/history/educational channels, the Spanish channels, etc. for different prices for those bundles. Or even better, let us pick 5/10/however many channels for a reduced rate.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Ah, I see why you’re confused, @ZooCougar. You’re probably a soccerhead, so you see, Eg, Serie A , which may even have the CBS sports bug on the screen.

This is simple - there are simulcast items between CBSSN and Paramount+, but CBSSN is absolutely not available as a linear channel on Paramount+.

Reaction Score
Ah, I see why you’re confused, @ZooCougar. You’re probably a soccerhead, so you see, Eg, Serie A , which may even have the CBS sports bug on the screen.

This is simple - there are simulcast items between CBSSN and Paramount+, but CBSSN is absolutely not available as a linear channel on Paramount+.

I’m not confused. Our games can be streamed on Paramount and aggregators like YouTube while on CBSSN.

You guys yet to make a convincing case for marooning us on Prime, which sports fans don’t utilize to watch sports. People who watch sports use another platform. Usually a platform that has CBSSN which has lots of games on it.

This couldn’t be more simple.

Reaction Score
People go there to watch shows or movies. You don’t surf while you watch the Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time or the Vanilla Jack Ryan show.

People watch sports on platforms that enable surfing.

Not only that but with betting being more and more popular the ability flip around is even more critical.

I can’t even express how stupid you people sound when you argue for hiding the program on a platform that people don’t use for sports.

We’re so much better off hedging but making a deal with a linear outlet that also has a stake in streaming.
I watched Red Sox/Yankees last night on Apple TV+. I watch NFL TNF on Prime Video (and so did 10 million other people every week). I watch UConn football away games when streamed on ESPN+. I watched some UConn hockey on ESPN+. When your team is on, you don't surf.

By the way, we have a 2 TV set up running off one cable box which is becoming more common for people who watch sports. If you are a fantasy football player, you can have Red Zone on one TV and a game on the other. No surfing.

Reaction Score
Awfully sure of yourself for someone who pasted a rando soccer website, and the same page twice, which doesn’t prove anything.

I would paste the screenshot, but they list the networks. Guess which one isn’t there?

LIVE SPORTS​

Stream the NFL on CBS, UEFA Champions League, CBS Sports Golazo Network and more! Miss the game? No sweat. CBS Sports HQ is on 24/7, covering all the highlights.

It doesn’t matter if it’s not there you knucklehead. The channel’s content is.

And it doesn’t matter anyways because anyone who bothers with Paramount probably also has YouTube TV which has CBSSN.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Blah blah blah.
This couldn’t be more simple.
Agreed. You can’t watch UConn games on paramount+ without a linear login.

$20 to husky ticket project to who is wrong?

Reaction Score
I watched Red Sox/Yankees last night on Apple TV+. I watch NFL TNF on Prime Video (and so did 10 million other people every week). I watch UConn football away games when streamed on ESPN+. I watched some UConn hockey on ESPN+. When your team is on, you don't surf.

By the way, we have a 2 TV set up running off one cable box which is becoming more common for people who watch sports. If you are a fantasy football player, you can have Red Zone on one TV and a game on the other. No surfing.

But if you want your college program to have exposure you absolutely don’t want to be on those.

Would you rather been on ESPN, ESPN 2 or +?

I rest my case.

Reaction Score
Fubo vs Hulu Live vs YouTubeTV?

Which one? Why? Relative, current cost/benefit if anyone’s recently compared costs.

CBSSN’s recently disappeared from a quality Malaysian streaming service (not pirating), so I’m looking for that and US Bloomberg. No US CATV since returning to States. Thanks for helpful insights.

Reaction Score

Which one? Why? Relative, current cost/benefit if anyone’s recently compared costs.

CBSSN’s recently disappeared from a quality Malaysian streaming service (not pirating), so I’m looking for that and US Bloomberg. No US CATV since returning to States. Thanks for helpful insights.

I knew those GoJo numbers were bogus.

Reaction Score
But if you want your college program to have exposure you absolutely don’t want to be on those.

Would you rather been on ESPN, ESPN 2 or +?

I rest my case.
We are not comparing ESPN to streaming. We are comparing CBSSN to streaming. I don't think CBSSN offers great exposure. Heck, it is not even rated by Nielsen. Yes, I think it's better than ESPN+, but sports are moving to streaming. 11 P5 teams are being streamed in week 1 and 14 P5 teams are being streamed in week 2. Teams include Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State, Tennessee, LSU, TCU, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, ... Do you think their fans will find the games? Of course they will and that is what the move to streaming sports is all about.

Reaction Score

Wrong.

I have Paramount+, and I cannot get CBSSN content on that service. No UConn football for me as I do not have cable or a live TV service.

Reaction Score
We are not comparing ESPN to streaming. We are comparing CBSSN to streaming. I don't think CBSSN offers great exposure. Heck, it is not even rated by Nielsen. Yes, I think it's better than ESPN+, but sports are moving to streaming. 11 P5 teams are being streamed in week 1 and 14 P5 teams are being streamed in week 2. Teams include Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Penn State, Tennessee, LSU, TCU, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, ... Do you think their fans will find the games? Of course they will and that is what the move to streaming sports is all about.

You will get better exposure on CBSSN. It’s not even close. Get real.

What do you even mean by streaming? I get YTTV and I get it. When I had DirecTV I had it.

Just stop. Moving to Prime would be an exposure disaster.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You will get better exposure on CBSSN. It’s not even close. Get real.

What do you even mean by streaming? I get YTTV and I get it. When I had DirecTV I had it.

Just stop. Moving to Prime would be an exposure disaster.
Instead of attacking every poster, maybe some actual research would help you out?

From https://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm (a great source)

P5 games on streaming W1:
East Carolina at Michigan11:00 amPeacock
Mercer at Ole Miss1:00 pmSECN+ Video / $espn+ Video
Colgate at Syracuse2:30 pmVideo: ACCNX / $espn+
Northern Iowa at Iowa State1:00 pm$espn+ Video
Western Carolina at Arkansas3:00 pmVideo: SECN+ Video / $espn+
UT Martin at Georgia5:00 pmVideo: SECN+ Video / $espn+
Alabama A&M at Vanderbilt6:00 pmVideo: SECN+ Video / $espn+

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Your point is valid, but these W1/W2 matchups are really the impetus for moving them to streaming. They stink. :)

At some point, and not that far away, a macro event will move a large chunk of content to streaming. RSNs are already going bankrupt, which has forced the ACC to the CW network for their lower-tier stuff. That's probably the last linear move like that.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

It's all down to what content you need. YTTV just dropped SNY, which will be a problem for UConn WBB fans. Fubo doesn't have TBS/TNT/TruTV, which is a disaster during March Madness.

Compare Channels, Shows, & Sports on Top Live TV Streaming Services is not perfect, but you can type in channels and teams there, and it will guide you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Free?! lol ... Look at what you pay for satellite tv and compare it to what people pay for youtube tv with an internet subscription. For fiber internet and full 4k streaming on youtube tv with out NFL Sunday ticket, it's 100 a month total. If you add a Sunday ticket and spread it out for the season it's 50$ a month extra so 150$. Direct TV excluding internet after they rope you in with a contract is around 200$ a month. Throw the internet in and you're paying around 300 a month. They just build the NFL Sunday ticket into everyone's price along with the 800 other channels no one wants to watch and scroll through.
Dang. Directv charges you so much more than me even with internet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
@ZooCougar thinks that if we just do the same thing harder, we will be invited to join the ACC. It is the definition of insanity. We don't need more exposure, we need to change the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom