Can we use our bench, please?! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Can we use our bench, please?!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
How can the bench help?

park bench GIF
It may be an illusion, but the bench on the right looks long and deep. Can we get that one?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I cannot fathom players that are willing to sit on the bench and get 2 minutes of playing time at the end of blowouts. Winning is OK but I want to play and I would go elsewhere even to DII to get that chance. I was a motorcycle racer (middle of the pack) but I got to race 2 motos ever weekend. Never won but thrilled to compete.
Has nothing to do with what this thread is discussing.

Reaction Score
If posters have the time, and only for perspective, I recommend watching another GOAT John Wooden (who Geno has admired and praised) and his definition of Winning vs Succeeding: I'm not suggesting UConn or Geno change the program's philosophy, but to underscore your point about competing.

To be clear, I too agree that neither Ines nor Amari would have been of any value in today's game. My thesis had been that if they had been played more often in blowout games, their skill level might have grown and positioned them to contribute today - if only to provide breathers for the starters. It's not provable. and there are no perfect answers.

This! In blowout games there is no need not to give the bench players, on any team, meaningful minutes. Practice is not the same as in-game experience. Unfortunately not giving players minutes these days can result in the player jumping in the tranfer portal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It may be DII but you are playing, competing and not watching someone else win the championships. To me competing is way more important than winning. But I never won but always competed and that was fine with me.
Well I'm sure you got your fair share of participation trophies.

Reaction Score
We are so fortunate that we have a coach who plays to win the game. He and the staff have adjusted the practice schedule to give the players the rest they need between wins. They all will be ready for Providence in 3 days and then SC in 4 more days.

The bench, if all were healthy, could be a Top 20 team themselves.
A top 20 team?

I think if healthy: Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Ice & Jana would beat the current starting lineup.

That's the scary part.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous mentality. Every team in EVERY sport has bench players. They are vital to the team in more ways than minutes played. The experience of playing for a powerhouse, seeing packed crowds for every game and potentially winning a National championship is far more enticing for many than playing 40 min in an empty gym at a DII school.
Just not true. Players want to play. Poffenbarger wanted to play, and is starting at Arkansas. Mir wanted to play, and was starting at Virginia until she got hurt. Subs who get 10-15 minutes will stay. Subs who play a minute or two likely will leave.

Reaction Score
I believe Amari should play more….I believe Geno considers her a liability on defense but if they stay in a zone she can handle it.
Patterson on offense is not a threat as Amari can be….great high post passer….threat as a shooter from high post or 3 point area….she also is a better post up player than Patterson….no disrespect ….just the way I see it.
There might be issues in practice or other concerns from coaching staff for why Amari does not play more.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Some thought provoking comments in this thread:

- Geno has been pretty clear in the 30 years that I've been paying attention, that he doesn't put players on the floor whose upside is "don't screw it up".. if you can't find a way to contribute, you're not ready to play. Throwing players out there hoping they don't make mistakes, while believing that they will, is not helping anybody. Currently, our bench is decimated by injury, clearly Geno is hesitant to play what's left against decent competition when a game is undecided or in doubt. He's fully aware of the minutes he's asking the starters to play and the effects of those minutes (he talks about it all the time) but, job 1 is competing for championships and winning out in conference to stay on one of those top seed lines is critical to that.

- Some (at least one) poster, says they would not have taken a scholarship to ride pine at UConn and can't understand those that do. Well, when you get that offer, you can do what you want with it. That doesn't give you the right to trash talk people that have decided differently for reasons as personal to them as yours are to you. Some players have come expecting to play and left when they couldn't get on the floor. Good for them and best of luck. Others have stuck it out learning the game and/or life lessons on success and set themselves up very well for life after UConn. Geno's always said "UConn's not for everybody".

- I'm not here telling anybody to "trust in Geno' even if I do so myself. You do you. But if you're waiting for the Boneyard poll that's going to influence how Geno distributes his minutes, well... the next one will be the first one.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some thought provoking comments in this thread:

- Geno has been pretty clear in the 30 years that I've been paying attention, that he doesn't put players on the floor whose upside is "don't screw it up".. if you can't find a way to contribute, you're not ready to play. Throwing players out there hoping they don't make mistakes, while believing that they will, is not helping anybody. Currently, our bench is decimated by injury, clearly Geno is hesitant to play what's left against decent competition when a game is undecided or in doubt. He's fully aware of the minutes he's asking the starters to play and the effects of those minutes (he talks about it all the time) but, job 1 is competing for championships and winning out in conference to stay on one of those top seed lines is critical to that.

- Some (at least one) poster, says they would not have taken a scholarship to ride pine at UConn and can't understand those that do. Well, when you get that offer, you can do what you want with it. That doesn't give you the right to trash talk people that have decided differently for reasons as personal to them as yours are to you. Some players have come expecting to play and left when they couldn't get on the floor. Good for them and best of luck. Others have stuck it out learning the game and/or life lessons on success and set themselves up very well for life after UConn. Geno's always said "UConn's not for everybody".

- I'm not here telling anybody to "trust in Geno' even if I do so myself. You do you. But if you're waiting for the Boneyard poll that's going to influence how Geno distributes his minutes, well... the next one will be the first one.
Brilliant.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with all of that.... I love Caroline as much as anyone but Lou would be starting regardless of Caroline's health.....She is 100 times better then I thought she'd be before the season started.
I've wondered whether Lou would be starting or not without all the injuries. No way to know for sure. What I do know is Lou has made the absolute most of her opportunity at UConn. Without Lou and Aubrey making such a strong impact after her injury the would be serious concern this season

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If posters have the time, and only for perspective, I recommend watching another GOAT John Wooden (who Geno has admired and praised) and his definition of Winning vs Succeeding: I'm not suggesting UConn or Geno change the program's philosophy, but to underscore your point about competing.

To be clear, I too agree that neither Ines nor Amari would have been of any value in today's game. My thesis had been that if they had been played more often in blowout games, their skill level might have grown and positioned them to contribute today - if only to provide breathers for the starters. It's not provable. and there are no perfect answers.

I think that the key term that comes in to play when it comes to Amari, Inês and to some extent, Ayanna, is consistency. Even in blowouts, you never know which side of the player you are going to get. All three have shown flashes of good quality play, and each time it has earned them praise here on the BY, but these flashes seem to be far apart. I am guessing that this is also true in practice.
And you are right, there are no perfect answers...especially from anyone not named Geno or CD.

Reaction Score
I can't believe how many 'armchair quarterbacks' we have in here? We don't see ANYTHING behind the scenes, only in games, so on what basis can anyone suggest that Geno or CD are wrong? Please list dates / times at attended practices and list number rings attained in NCAA championships when replying! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think that the key term that comes in to play when it comes to Amari, Inês and to some extent, Ayanna, is consistency. Even in blowouts, you never know which side of the player you are going to get. All three have shown flashes of good quality play, and each time it has earned them praise here on the BY, but these flashes seem to be far apart. I am guessing that this is also true in practice.
And you are right, there are no perfect answers...especially from anyone not named Geno or CD.
"And you are right, there are no perfect answers...especially from anyone not named Geno or CD."

And even they don't always agree.:)

Reaction Score
Great thread!! Some great comments by all. In that Villanova game yesterday, no way could coach Auriemma use the bench, at least go deep into the bench, against Villanova. That game was too close and had coach went deep into the bench and the team lost, fans would have lost their dang minds and would have questioned coach's sanity.

The players, especially the players on the bench, understand their roles on the team and how much playing time they might get, if they get any at all. They know the standards of the UConn program. Those that stay. They will be champions (borrowing a line from Michigan's old football coach). Those that move on to different programs. I wish them well and have no animosity towards them. But the UConn program isn't for everyone. Players know coming in that if they want some minutes, they will have to compete. Coach Geno said it best years ago, "Make us look like idiots for not playing you more." What he was saying was, when you get in the game, no matter how long you are out there on the court, compete to the best of your ability. Do something that is going to make a positive impact out there on the court that helps the team and yourself.

Nobody wants to see Amari or Ines (I will add Ayanna as well) on that court more than me and probably some of the players and that is for them to get a quick rest break. But in that game yesterday, a close game against a pretty darn good team, a team that we were only up three points on at the half and only had a 6- or 8-point lead on at one point, playing the bench would have been hard to do and I am not upset about coach not playing those players. Hopefully they understand as well.

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned that Amari, Ines, & Ayanna are not typical 6th players & 1st off the bench? If Paige, Azzi, Caroline, & Ice were available as planned this season, those three players would be way down on the depth chart. I enjoy watching them develop & they are giving 100%, but their playing time is in the future.

Reaction Score
UConn did use the bench, Peterson played five minutes subbing for both Aubrey and Lou. All the rest that was needed.
They had fewer points in the 2nd and 3rd combined than they did in the first quarter. This team is very good but they won't beat SC with 5 players and they won't make a Final Four either. It is clear the Geno isn't about playing reserves, frankly he never has been and this year his bench is much weaker than usual. Even if it is for a minute before the end of a quarter he needs to at least get his bigs a little rest.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In a game like yesterday's, you could not use the bench any more than they did......and WIN! If you have watched every minute of every game, this year, you know WHY.

Reaction Score
Well I'm sure you got your fair share of participation trophies.
I think they're much better than non-participation trophies, which many a UConn player has gotten over the years.

Reaction Score
Thankfully we won, but I'm sorry we need to use our bench. Not only because we are fatigued....but maybe...just MAYBE someone could provide a spark off the bench that we weren't getting for long stretches of time. Hmmmm?!?! :):):)

We need to keep our players fresh (and healthy) for the March run. Running them into the ground for an extra win or 2 along the way is not the way to go. Anyone else losing their mind over this at all??
The "sparks" on the bench are as follows; Ines - she races about and is pretty fearless. We all saw her hit two threes once. But she has only made lay-ups since. And very few. Amari - Pretty difficult to imagine her turning on the juice. Not trustworthy with the ball, unless unguarded. Then, she distributes well and, if embarrassed ( by not being covered), can hit a three. Patterson - trained, apparently, to be a large strong body under the bucket, but never to shoot. Did Patterson actually " have game" in high school, or did she just have 13 put backs per game? Usually, this threesome generates zero points. Show us you can generate zero +, please. In other words, using our bench as a " spark" is likely, against a good team, to give up leads.

Reaction Score
They had fewer points in the 2nd and 3rd combined than they did in the first quarter. This team is very good but they won't beat SC with 5 players and they won't make a Final Four either. It is clear the Geno isn't about playing reserves, frankly he never has been and this year his bench is much weaker than usual. Even if it is for a minute before the end of a quarter he needs to at least get his bigs a little rest.
Before the season started, IMO the "bench" was going to be strong and deep then things went awry. That "deep bench" at beginning of season now had to become starters, so yeah this current bench you could say is much weaker than usual...for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Thankfully we won, but I'm sorry we need to use our bench. Not only because we are fatigued....but maybe...just MAYBE someone could provide a spark off the bench that we weren't getting for long stretches of time. Hmmmm?!?! :):):)

We need to keep our players fresh (and healthy) for the March run. Running them into the ground for an extra win or 2 along the way is not the way to go. Anyone else losing their mind over this at all??
I am with you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom