Can we use our bench, please?! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can we use our bench, please?!

Reaction Score
My goodness, you people sure do get angry! I even tried incorporating smiley faces to soften the ole blow. Chris Dailey seems to like using subs. Might as well lock the ole thread before people start throwing chairs Mr. Bobby Knight style! Love ya all! Till next time, I'll see myself out, time to go rest these old bones ;)

Reaction Score
Agree with Nan's post regarding who do you put in but my suggestion would be to alternate Patterson and DeBerry in the substitution pattern, depending upon the game situation and how the other was doing. Patterson has seemed lost the past few games on both offense and defense, games that follow several of DeBerry's best outings.

Reaction Score
Thankfully we won, but I'm sorry we need to use our bench. Not only because we are fatigued....but maybe...just MAYBE someone could provide a spark off the bench that we weren't getting for long stretches of time. Hmmmm?!?! :):):)

We need to keep our players fresh (and healthy) for the March run. Running them into the ground for an extra win or 2 along the way is not the way to go. Anyone else losing their mind over this at all??
No

Reaction Score
Thankfully we won, but I'm sorry we need to use our bench. Not only because we are fatigued....but maybe...just MAYBE someone could provide a spark off the bench that we weren't getting for long stretches of time. Hmmmm?!?! :):):)

We need to keep our players fresh (and healthy) for the March run. Running them into the ground for an extra win or 2 along the way is not the way to go. Anyone else losing their mind over this at all??
No, not at all

Reaction Score
right or wrong, this game shows how much trust GA has in our bench and more poingnatly, the lack of trust he has and in particularly with Yanna. I thought she could be trusted with 15-20 minutes a game by now, but apparently not. I don't expect the other players to play in close games. But yanna, I really thought she could help us much more off the bench.

Reaction Score
Remember, UConn and Geno want 3 Trophy's every year. Starting with the Conference Title. Then Conference Tourney and last is the National Championship!
I'm shocked that members on this site dislike a comment about THIER team wanting to win Championships. Actually, thinking about it, it's funny!! :p:D

Reaction Score
During the fourth quarter I was hoping that Azzi would stand up, throw down her crutches, and say put me in coach!
I bet you Paige has been wanting to do this a lot!

I don’t think Azzi had her crutches today?

Reaction Score
Damn if you told Geno sooner maybe we could have rested our starters and loss
Agreed with your sentiment. As a past experience as a starting PG in games, I'm not about to let a game slip away when I and team have expended a lot of effort. Nothing against the subs, but, you know what they can do, and the starters have worked so hard and fought to "that" point. Around the 5 minutes remaining mark/timeout, they were gassed. During the timeout, you could see the communication in their faces...let's gut this out and get the W.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed at the downvotes. Seems some of you actually wanted the team to lose a conference game.

I get that they’re tired. Who wouldn’t be? But basically lose on purpose?

Baffling.

Loss today almost guarantees a drop to a 2 seed in the tournament, unless they magically can beat SC. Which means there's a chance you have to beat South Carolina, Stanford, Indiana, LSU etc. to get to the Final 4. Every game matters now.

Reaction Score
I’m amazed at the downvotes. Seems some of you actually wanted the team to lose a conference game.

I get that they’re tired. Who wouldn’t be? But basically lose on purpose?

Baffling.
I agree. It's mind boggling to think people would be fine with intentionally taking an L in a conference game. The players wouldn't want that. The coaches wouldn't want that. It accomplishes nothing positive and in the end will just be a negative in multiple ways. If players really need rest that badly then Head Coach Geno can and probably would do a few easier practices between games.

Besides, what does it say to bench players to essentially be like "we're just giving up on winning so it doesn't matter if you suck". :rolleyes: If you're a bench player, you should be looking at a game like this and thinking you want to be the next reliable player up who Geno can sub in when necessary.

This isn't like the later Stewie years where the starters can play 10 minutes and the game is done and dusted. The starters need to be out there and it will benefit them and everyone else in the long run. I bet if you asked any of the starting 5 if they had wished they'd sat out so they could be rested, they'd all disagree. They're all fiercely competitive. They want to be out there.

Reaction Score
I cannot fathom players that are willing to sit on the bench and get 2 minutes of playing time at the end of blowouts. Winning is OK but I want to play and I would go elsewhere even to DII to get that chance. I was a motorcycle racer (middle of the pack) but I got to race 2 motos ever weekend. Never won but thrilled to compete.

Reaction Score
I truly understand the posters that say our starters need breathers. I have no doubt that that will happen if we get Azzi and Caroline back. It will and sometimes has happened even with them out, but in tonights game who would you bring in off the bench to 'spark the offense'? There is nobody there at the moment that can do that. If things are more in sync and we are playing with a lead, the guys that are available presently can come in and add some positives. Today much of the game we were not in sync and playing at best even and at worst from behind. The only way we were going to win this one today was by gutting it out, which our starters reached down and were able to do and I would argue the bench players, given Villanova's play on the defensive end, wouldn't have been able to help with that.

Reaction Score
I cannot fathom players that are willing to sit on the bench and get 2 minutes of playing time at the end of blowouts. Winning is OK but I want to play and I would go elsewhere even to DII to get that chance. I was a motorcycle racer (middle of the pack) but I got to race 2 motos ever weekend. Never won but thrilled to compete.
Ridiculous mentality. Every team in EVERY sport has bench players. They are vital to the team in more ways than minutes played. The experience of playing for a powerhouse, seeing packed crowds for every game and potentially winning a National championship is far more enticing for many than playing 40 min in an empty gym at a DII school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom